#1 Posted by ShaunassNZ (2128 posts) -

As we all know now the PC is getting big this year Gaming-wise, and if this has been repeated sorry. But lets thank Steam, Bioware and Blizzard for selling games on PC. 

This has sprung me to want to upgrade my PC just for the sake of it and not because I need to.

#2 Posted by xplodedd (1316 posts) -

wait what? theres still piracy, i buy my games but pirating games is easy, but yeah its services like steam that keep pc gaming in a respectable place.

#3 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -

OP which planet have you been living on? Wait, wait, nvm...joke thread, right?

RIGHT???

#4 Posted by RankRabbit (394 posts) -

no comprende 

#5 Posted by xplodedd (1316 posts) -
@RsistncE said:
" OP which planet have you been living on? Wait, wait, nvm...joke thread, right?  ....  RIGHT??? "
i think so too
#6 Posted by alternate (2706 posts) -

Nothing to do with DRM IMO, good games can sell - even on PC.  Starcraft single player was pirated day one and it still managed huge sales.

#7 Edited by MythDarK (547 posts) -

Piracy can never be stopped. People should learn that already.

@alternate said:

" Nothing to do with DRM IMO, good games can sell - even on PC.  Starcraft single player was pirated day one and it still managed huge sales. "

It was even pirated the day before release.
#8 Posted by xplodedd (1316 posts) -
@MythDarK said:
"  
Piracy can never be stopped. People should learn that already.

@alternate said:

" Nothing to do with DRM IMO, good games can sell - even on PC.  Starcraft single player was pirated day one and it still managed huge sales. "

It was even pirated the day before release. "
right but i thinkk the point is that the game was pirated right on release (a day before, or on the day) and it still didn't affect the sales.
#9 Posted by atomic_dumpling (2473 posts) -
@MythDarK said:
"It was even pirated the day before release. "
So are 80% of the 360 games. Your point?
#10 Posted by Binman88 (3687 posts) -
@atomic_dumpling: I imagine his point is that piracy hasn't been stopped at all, like the OP seems to be suggesting. Games like StarCraft will sell well despite being available to pirate because they're good games. Who knew?
#11 Posted by PenguinDust (12517 posts) -

Some games are just sellers regardless of the pirates.  The Sims 3 was out on the torrents before it hit store shelves, but it still sold 1.4 million it's first week and has sold around 8 million units so far and that's not including expansions.  It's the lesser (and I don't mean indies) that suffer more from piracy because they don't have a fan base already installed. 

#12 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Your idea of evidence that DRM is working is kind of laughable.

#13 Posted by Seedofpower (3929 posts) -

I demand a link.

#14 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@Seedofpower said:
" I demand a link. "
I demand a drink.
#15 Edited by floodiastus (1262 posts) -

I hate DRM and it makes me NOT buy those games. 

#16 Posted by ectoplasma (979 posts) -
@atomic_dumpling said:
" @MythDarK said:
"It was even pirated the day before release. "
So are 80% of the 360 games. Your point? "  
That is just stupid. To play a pirated Xbox game I need a modified Xbox, have problems with updates, risk getting banned from live... Pirated PC games I can just play.
#17 Posted by gosukiller (2324 posts) -

Nonsense topicname with 0 motivation or argumentation. 

#18 Posted by Dedodido (235 posts) -

Things are going well for PC at the moment because there are a few good PC games coming out. DRM isn't the answer to piracy, making better games is.

#19 Posted by Stormdragonblue (72 posts) -

Game piracy is alive and well and it will exist till the last computer gets hooked off the internet and games are no longer made. It's just that Steam and Good Old Games made many realize again you can get games for cheap now.

Personally i only want to deal with Steam type of DRM. if any publisher desires to add up some SecuRom type DRM to it's Steam release with install limit I'm not buying it period.

#20 Posted by InfamousBIG (3201 posts) -

lol

#21 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -

Piracy is like water.

#22 Posted by fwylo (3556 posts) -
@RiotBananas: Are you saying that all people are 60% pirate? 
#23 Posted by TheDuke (231 posts) -

i don't think DRM is working
i'm pretty sure most gamers at least crack there games so they don't need a disc if they didn't buy digital and I'm sure SC2 got pirated as much as any other game and probably more than most since of it's popularity

#24 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -
@fwylo: Yes.
#25 Posted by fwylo (3556 posts) -
@RiotBananas said:
" @fwylo: Yes. "
Yarr.
#26 Posted by Evilsbane (4619 posts) -
@gosukiller said:
" Nonsense topicname with 0 motivation or argumentation. 

"
ROFL Brilliant.
#27 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -
@fwylo said:
" @RiotBananas said:
" @fwylo: Yes. "
Yarr. "

You cunning devil. 
#28 Posted by Jimbo (9810 posts) -

Here's the thing with the overkill DRM methods like Ubisoft's:  I don't really have a problem with them using it; I believe they can release their product however they like.  But the price needs to reflect the fact that their DRM makes their product worth less money.  If there's something in it for me then I'll overlook the reduced functionality.  I haven't bought (or played) a single Ubisoft game since they implemented their new DRM because they still want the same price they wanted before.  

Maybe that's changing though, because I was just checking out pre-orders and I can order AC: Brotherhood on PC for £21, which is about £5 cheaper than a pre-order for something like this would usually be, and ~40% cheaper than the console version pre-order.  At that price point I consider it a fair compromise and I can live with the limitations of the DRM.  Granted we don't really know the PC release date for sure yet, but with this DRM firmly in place I kinda suspect they won't feel the need to delay it.

#29 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

lol at the title. i don't think that it is DRM that is making the game sell. it's because of the developers making awesome games. steam is one reason why because it makes the games harder to pirate.

#30 Posted by WEGGLES (739 posts) -

Yes, 'cause I buy my PC games because they've beaten the pirates.

I buy my games 'cause I'm not a shitty person. 

DRM didn't win. It still fucking sucks, and it still does nothing to stop piracy.

#31 Posted by MrMcgillicutty (150 posts) -

I still don't know how I feel about DRM. One hand, devs need to stop all the filthy bootleggers, but it's kinda hard doing that without treating regular consumers like animals.

#32 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

Guess why so many PC games are using Steamworks - its got DRM built in, but one that players don't hate.