Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By ElectricBoogaloo

EA's Jack the Ripper will be a hero
News by Robert Purchese

Today 10:16

EA studio Visceral Games' interpretation of Jack the Ripper will cast the legendary British serial killer as a hero.

Instead of disembowelling prostitutes, Mr Ripper will save innocent people from demons and vampires, using an exaggerated array of weaponry and some kind of time-slow ability.

That's what "sources" told Destructoid after the Jack the Ripper game was leaked by the LA Times.

Visceral's approach to the material may infuriate "Ripperologists", but sounds similar to the hack-and-slash treatment the studio has given Dante's Divine Comedy in Dante's Inferno.

Do remember that a Jack the Ripper game is still unconfirmed by EA, however convincing the evidence may appear.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/eas-jack-the-ripper-will-be-a-hero
klownboots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By klownboots

Hrmm, while I am intrigued by source material... I feel turning it into a hack and slash (via what they are doing with Dante, which feels right to me) seems lazy. Also, why make him a good guy? Why not make the main character a detective trying to stop him?

I will definitely have to keep an eye on this, as Visceral Games is one of my favorite developers of this generation.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Xeiphyer
@klownboots: Ah that would be a cool game, playing a detective trying to track down Jack the Ripper, assuming they played with the source material rather than just reversing it for this bad looking game. Of course it would be pretty similar to Heavy Rain, not that I would mind, that game seems totally sweet.
klownboots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By klownboots
@Xeiphyer: Yeah, I was thinking maybe something along the lines of the movie From Hell. Atleast from a story standpoint. You could really play with the main characters motives and actions, something this developer seems adept at doing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

This is like making a game about Charles Manson and you play as him trying to stop a deadly serial killer.

Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Lowbrow
@klownboots said:
" Hrmm, while I am intrigued by source material... I feel turning it into a hack and slash (via what they are doing with Dante, which feels right to me) seems lazy. Also, why make him a good guy? Why not make the main character a detective trying to stop him?  I will definitely have to keep an eye on this, as Visceral Games is one of my favorite developers of this generation. "
Then again, Old Jackie made a name for himself with his hack n' slash antics didn't he.
klownboots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By klownboots

Haha, indeed he did Lowbrow. However making him a good guy (I assume because people could not handle playing as such a violent evil person), is just a dumb work around. Not that I am advocating the want to play as a murderer... it is not a whole lot different then GTA. If done correctly (changing the story obviously to give there some merit to your horrible actions) this could be a possibility. (think Dexter maybe?)

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hitchenson
@Drank_Stank said:
" sounds stupid...would be awesome to move the right analog stick back and forth to thrust your body against a woman while raping her...god that would be a fucking great game. "
Yes.
PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By PureRok

Actually, this sounds pretty interesting. Basically, it's a "what-if" saying that he may actually have been slaying vampires, and everyone thought he was a serial killer murdering and raping prostitutes.

Or, this is just what the game is telling you, but at the end there's a twist and you realize that you are insane and you've have been raping and killing prostitutes, and your deranged mind thought they were vampires/demons.

The final scene is of him killing himself, which is why he was never found.

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By rjaylee

I'm not entirely sold everyone has the right idea that this is as literal as just 'slaying demons'. 

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they took the story to some sort of slant where Jack the Ripper killed people because he was deranged into thinking that the women he murdered were demons hiding as human beings, or something like, something to the slant of the movie Frailty. I actually would be interested in this game if it was executed well.
PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PureRok
@heatDrive88: Basically what I said.
Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Driadon

I think the only way this could keep my interest is if these "demons" are in his head and he is in fact going on a killing rampage from these delusions. It's still a lazy idea, but at least then it isn't just "Oh hey, you know about this guy, right? Well this game is nothing like that."

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By penguindust

Sounds like someone has seen too many episodes of Dexter.  What next?  Billy the Kid as a hero leading a band of young rebellious youth in a fight against evil cattle barons?

nrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By nrain

This has gone from the most intersesting game in the world to the blandest.

klownboots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By klownboots

I am liking what you folks are saying. A twist on the story so it only appears that he is good. Now that is something I can get behind and again something I think this developer would be great at pulling off.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Drank_Stank said:
" sounds stupid...would be awesome to move the right analog stick back and forth to thrust your body against a woman while raping her...god that would be a fucking great game. "
Screw the right analog stick, I WANNA DO THIS IN NATAL!
FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By FlipperDesert

I sure can't wait for the ad campaign for this where you have to rape and kill a booth babe while someone takes a picture of it!

Seriously, what the hell's wrong with EA's marketing these days?

klownboots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By klownboots
@FlipperDesert said:
" I sure can't wait for the ad campaign for this where you have to rape and kill a booth babe while someone takes a picture of it!  Seriously, what the hell's wrong with EA's marketing these days? "
It is the entire concept of viral marketing. Gets people talking, works rather well.
thecleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By thecleric

Visceral Games - Fuck History

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By Hamz

I find myself somewhat intrigued by that idea for a game!

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By WinterSnowblind
@thecleric said:
" Visceral Games - Fuck History "
I think the idea is that they can base games around existing ideas/folklore/mysteries, etc without having to come up with everything themselves, but at the same time not have to pay for liscening or copyright fee's.  It's actually a fairly genius idea.  If a little lazy.
klownboots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By klownboots
@thecleric said:
It could be easily argued that the "history" of Jack the Ripper is completely uncertain. This would be yet another idea/theory among many. 

Also as far as Dante's goes, that was not a "historical" document (meaning it is not stating events and times and places). 

I personally have great respect for people who adapt things (be it books, films, poems, whatever). When looking at an adaptation one must ignore the "myth of fidelity". An adaptation should always differ from the source material, given that it has the vision of its direct/writer.
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#23  Edited By Icemael
@klownboots said:
" @thecleric said:
It could be easily argued that the "history" of Jack the Ripper is completely uncertain. This would be yet another idea/theory among many.   Also as far as Dante's goes, that was not a "historical" document (meaning it is not stating events and times and places).   I personally have great respect for people who adapt things (be it books, films, poems, whatever). When looking at an adaptation one must ignore the "myth of fidelity". An adaptation should always differ from the source material, given that it has the vision of its direct/writer. "
In that case: "Visceral Games - Fuck the Source Material"

I like adaptions just as much as the next guy, but while you should make changes, you still need to have respect for the source material. Dante's Inferno is a prime example of not doing that. So you're taking the setting? Awesome. I see you're changing the story? No objections. Huh, so you're taking the name as well? That's okay, I guess. So now you're also taking the characters and changing them completely, while keeping the names? And then having the gall to call it an "adaption"? Fuck. You.
klownboots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By klownboots

Again you are stuck in that myth of fidelity. The reboot of Battlestar Galactica can be seen as an adaptation of the original series. It made some big changes both the the story and characters. I would not call that doing "violence" to the source material.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#25  Edited By Icemael
@klownboots: I have no problem with the game taking inspiration from the book, but the only things they have in common are the names and the setting. Calling that an adaption and putting the "Dante's Inferno" name on it... that's just disgusting.
JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#26  Edited By JackiJinx

On a similar note, I hear that Ghandi will be portrayed as a cereal killer in his upcoming title, The Salt Massacre.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By OmegaPirate
@JackiJinx said:  
Does it have customisable robe support?
Avatar image for electricboogaloo
ElectricBoogaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#28  Edited By ElectricBoogaloo

This has opened up all new gateways.  

If I'm not playing as Bin Laden in Modern Warfare 2 I will be pissed.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Diamond

This is like when they used to make horrible games like Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde for NES.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#30  Edited By JoelTGM

That sounds terrible.  Why even call it Jack the Ripper if they ignore that history and make up some ghost hunter crap.  Not that I would play a Jack Ripper simulation.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Kazona

Well now, this has got to be the most retarded idea I've ever heard. Making a serial killer out to be a hero? What's next, Osama Bin Laden getting the hero treatment?

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TheMustacheHero

This seems stupid, yet totally awesome.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By RHCPfan24

Here is a lovely excerpt from Erik Larson's Devil in the White City. Because this game casts Jack as a hero, this won't happen. :(

No Caption Provided

Bummer right?
dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#34  Edited By dethfish

That is a lazy and dumb idea. Some of the ideas in this thread are more creative.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ryanwho
@klownboots said:
" @thecleric said:
It could be easily argued that the "history" of Jack the Ripper is completely uncertain. This would be yet another idea/theory among many.   Also as far as Dante's goes, that was not a "historical" document (meaning it is not stating events and times and places).   I personally have great respect for people who adapt things (be it books, films, poems, whatever). When looking at an adaptation one must ignore the "myth of fidelity". An adaptation should always differ from the source material, given that it has the vision of its direct/writer. "
Not really. He kills prostitutes. Its like, his only thing. And this guy doesn't. So its stupid. Or, as you'd say, "stupid".
JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#36  Edited By JackiJinx
@OmegaPirate said:
" @JackiJinx said:  Does it have customisable robe support? "
It's a flash game, so naturally.
ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#37  Edited By ImperiousRix

Oh gosh, why do they keep doing this?  Turning interesting historical or fictional characters into hack-and-slash heroes does not an interesting premise make!  
I would have much rather seen a hack-and-slash game where Jack the Ripper is the endboss.  Sheesh.  I hope the title just happens to be "Jack the Ripper", but is relatively seperated from the historical figure... like maybe this is Jack the Ripper's illegitimate great great grandson who uses his ancestors butchering abilities for good and not evil. 
It'd be stupid, sure, but not as stupid as the concept is already.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By animateria

Maybe Jack is delusional...

Maybe the surprise at the end is that all the demons and vampires are just regular people?

Of course I bet its a bit too much to ask from Visceral Games to do that I suppose.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By penguindust
@animateria:   That's a pretty good idea.  That kind of head game is something I think could be uniquely compelling.
neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By neoepoch

Why does it have to be the Jack the Ripper from the 19th century? Why couldn't it just be some guy named after the Ripper because he shreds demons up like Jack the Ripper in the past? Like how Raiden's nickname was Jack the Ripper when he was in Solidus's child army in MGS2.

Zaerus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Zaerus

... goddammit. I'd rather have a serial killer sim.

why not take a crack at these titles, atleast they're somewhat based in reality.
- Cooking chocolate with Dahmer
- Ted Bundy: The dating sim
- Rockband: Charles Manson

klownboots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By klownboots
@ryanwho said:
" @klownboots said:
" @thecleric said:
Not really. He kills prostitutes. Its like, his only thing. And this guy doesn't. So its stupid. Or, as you'd say, "stupid". "
Well what I was saying was more if they played with Jack's motives, not just ignoring what he did altogether and making him a hero.   

Sorry if my use of scare quotes apparently bugs you :P
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By iamjohn

Visceral Games is everything wrong with gaming that doesn't come from Activision.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#44  Edited By Hailinel

Between this and what EA is doing to Dante's Inferno, all of the goodwill that I felt EA had earned recently is draining, and fast.

kraznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

#45  Edited By kraznor

That seems like a terrible fit for this subject matter. Was kind of hoping for a bizarre, "From Hell" like detective game or something. Really though, this page of history seems like one that just doesn't fit with video games, except maybe that Sherlock Holmes game I never played.

klownboots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By klownboots
@Kazona said:
" Well now, this has got to be the most retarded idea I've ever heard. Making a serial killer out to be a hero?  "

The show Dexter would prove you wrong. Still I understand what you mean, as this would be simply ignoring what he was to make him something else.
Avatar image for hunkaburningluv
hunkaburningluv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By hunkaburningluv
@klownboots said:
" @thecleric said:
I dunno, while the identity of the Ripper may be up for debate, the actual events, what he did are very well documented. 

This game should have been more along the line of a  horror/thriller (possibly even supernatural) type game where you have to follow leads/find evidence and the like to find out who the Ripper was, what's the point in turning one of the most brutal serial killers into a hero? What the dude, did was scary, take advantage of it.....
Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Kazona
@klownboots: But isn't Dexter a completely fictional character? I largely have a problem with making a real serial killer out to be a hero. It's basically glorifying the murders her committed, which completely disgusts me.

klownboots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By klownboots

@kazona
Right, a point I agree with

@Hunkaburningluv
I was more discussing the "motives" issue. Basically defending the ability to adapt something so horrible into something... enjoyable? Really the more I think about this, the more terrible it sounds.

Avatar image for hunkaburningluv
hunkaburningluv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By hunkaburningluv
@klownboots said:
" @Kazona said:
" Well now, this has got to be the most retarded idea I've ever heard. Making a serial killer out to be a hero?  "

The show Dexter would prove you wrong. Still I understand what you mean, as this would be simply ignoring what he was to make him something else. "
the thing is dude, Dexter used his psychosis to kill those who themselves are murderers/rapists etc.... essentially using the darkness in his heart to destroy evil. Now, Jack the ripper cut prozzies ladybits off to varying degrees. There is no real parity, IMO....