• 151 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
#1 Posted by xxNBxx (980 posts) -

So i rented Okami from gamefly about 3 weeks ago and even though i have tried to play it I just couldn't get into it.   Maybe it was the controls, maybe it was the graphics, maybe it was the story, the sound or lack of sound.  I guess it was all of them that really turned me away from a game that so many enjoyed.  So my question, as in the title of the topic, what well received games have you played that for some reason or another just didn't like?

#2 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -

You're MAD.

I'd say GTA4 most recently. And Oblivion. Oblivion is probably the most overrated game ever.

#3 Posted by Jayge_ (10221 posts) -

I'm no fan of Gears of War.

#4 Posted by DARKIDO07 (876 posts) -

Bioshock, I played it for the first 30 minutes and was like "hmmm this feels a bit like Half-Life YEA!"But sadly I couldn't get into it. :( I don't know I just lost interest in it I guess.

#5 Posted by Subway (971 posts) -

GTA in general, Zelda games thats all I can think of right now.

#6 Posted by Systech (4078 posts) -

I didn't like Soul Calibur IV very much. This is probably because I'm not into fighting games, but everything seemed messy to me.

#7 Posted by Karmum (11519 posts) -

Halo 3, holy wow, I really did not enjoy Halo 2, but man, Halo 3 is on another level of...terrible game that is liked way to much. Terrible in comparison to Halo: CE.

#8 Edited by KillaMaStA (859 posts) -

Warhawk, its crap.

EDIT: Ok, you want a longer answer, you got it.

First of all, i was a BIG fan of resistance when Warhawk came out  so mostly everyone i knew hated warhawk  cuz it wasstealing players from resistance.So i always figured that the game must be crap.
Then, a few months later i just had some money lying around so i thought id get a new game to online and saw warhawk, checked it out on teh interenet and thought that it might be decent and if it sucks then ill still have the headset (I bought the disc).

My troubles with it began at the very beginning since i couldnt get  online for several hours for some reason.So by the time i got into the game i was already pissed off.
What i really hated about the game were the airplanes, i feel that they made all other forms of combat in the game pointless.
And then the other machines, they didnt feel good to drive, they didnt feel right for me.
There was very little of team gameplay since everyone was at different ends of the level and doing their own thing.
The music in the game sucked, i hated the menu music so i always turned the volume down when i wasnt in a game.
And the overall combat in the game(other than grenades) didnt feel satisfying.
Inever understood how i was meant to play that game, even after forcing myself to play the game for several hours straight i was still getting owned and im pretty good at games and this really made me mad.
So thats why Warhawk is crap.

#9 Posted by Jimbo_N (1197 posts) -

Wow, I cant even begin to remember all the games over the years that I didnt like even tho the "critics" did. Most recently Id have to go with Pixeljunk Eden and Braid.

#10 Edited by xxNBxx (980 posts) -
Arkthemaniac said:
"You're MAD.

I'd say GTA4 most recently. And Oblivion. Oblivion is probably the most overrated game ever."

Yeah i know i am crazy.    I can see why someone would not like GTA4.  Oblivion is a game you ether love it or hate it.

Jayge said:
"I'm no fan of Gears of War."

I guess you just didn't like the controls. maybe?

DARKIDO07 said:

"Bioshock, I played it for the first 30 minutes and was like "hmmm this feels a bit like Half-Life YEA!"But sadly I couldn't get into it. :( I don't know I just lost interest in it I guess."

I don't see how bioshock is like half-life I mean they are both shooters and ahhh thats about where it ends.   I think where someone can get stuck on not liking Bioshock is that the weapons are kind of bland.

#11 Posted by FengShuiGod (1492 posts) -

I was underwhelmed by Orange Box.

#12 Posted by ZombieHunterOG (3530 posts) -

i notice a few of you instead of stating what game you didn't like and why, your saying a games crap like this guy here :

KillaMaStA said:
"Warhawk, its crap."
i haven't played war hawk but i heard it was very good
#13 Posted by Vlademir (1029 posts) -

Bioshock, Half Life 2, and Diablo 2

#14 Edited by Jayge_ (10221 posts) -
xxNBxx said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
"You're MAD.

I'd say GTA4 most recently. And Oblivion. Oblivion is probably the most overrated game ever."

Yeah i know i am crazy.    I can see why someone would not like GTA4.  Oblivion is a game you ether love it or hate it.

Jayge said:
"I'm no fan of Gears of War."

I guess you just didn't like the controls. maybe?

DARKIDO07 said:

"Bioshock, I played it for the first 30 minutes and was like "hmmm this feels a bit like Half-Life YEA!"But sadly I couldn't get into it. :( I don't know I just lost interest in it I guess."

I don't see how bioshock is like half-life I mean they are both shooters and ahhh thats about where it ends.   I think where someone can get stuck on not liking Bioshock is that the weapons are kind of bland.

"
Didn't like the controls? I was one of the best shotgun users I'd ever seen. It's not bragging- I don't consider it a skill. Do you want my essay on the fallacies of Gears of War? I can find it again and paste it; but I won't, because it would totally derail this thread. XD
#15 Posted by xxNBxx (980 posts) -
ZombieHunter said:
"i notice a few of you instead of stating what game you didn't like and why, your saying a games crap like this guy here :
KillaMaStA said:
"Warhawk, its crap."
i haven't played war hawk but i heard it was very good
"

LOL get use to it Zombiehunter 50% of ppl on GB don't read anything but what the Title says.

systech said:
"I didn't like Soul Calibur IV very much. This is probably because I'm not into fighting games, but everything seemed messy to me."

I was going to say i didn't think SC4 was well received but then i looked at the "Critic Score" on gamespot and saw that it got 8.5.  I looked at the list and giantbomb game it the lowest score out of all the critics on the list.
#16 Posted by xxNBxx (980 posts) -
Jayge said:
"xxNBxx said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
"You're MAD.

I'd say GTA4 most recently. And Oblivion. Oblivion is probably the most overrated game ever."

Yeah i know i am crazy.    I can see why someone would not like GTA4.  Oblivion is a game you ether love it or hate it.

Jayge said:
"I'm no fan of Gears of War."

I guess you just didn't like the controls. maybe?

DARKIDO07 said:

"Bioshock, I played it for the first 30 minutes and was like "hmmm this feels a bit like Half-Life YEA!"But sadly I couldn't get into it. :( I don't know I just lost interest in it I guess."

I don't see how bioshock is like half-life I mean they are both shooters and ahhh thats about where it ends.   I think where someone can get stuck on not liking Bioshock is that the weapons are kind of bland.

"
Didn't like the controls? I was one of the best shotgun users I'd ever seen. It's not bragging- I don't consider it a skill. Do you want my essay on the fallacies of Gears of War? I can find it again and paste it; but I won't, because it would totally derail this thread."
then why not just link what you said rather then paste it here?   Cause if you took the time to find out that you where one of the best shotgun users you had to play it for a long time.
#17 Posted by Jayge_ (10221 posts) -

Several months.

"Gears of War was a flawed game. It was built on an engine designed specifically to look better than it actually performs (hence heavy texture pop-ins and lack of diverse color palettes). The game's online netcode is some of the worst ever conceived, resulting in rampant bandwidth wasting, poor usage of combined processing power, and extremely limited application. Tweakable settings are minimal, the lobby system is terrible. Lag/"host advantage" caused by stupid and lazy programming puts heavy strain on host's connection. When the host DOES have an acceptable connection, game performance is fine, but the host then gains enough of a speed boost to dominate the match uncharacteristically. Because all actions must pass through the host's router (the central hub), all outside connections take twice as long to transmit data to other players compared to the host. The host's packets only travel half as far, because the data originates at the host router, so no time is wasted transferring data twice.

These flaws also allowed for the game's many glitches, more than I have ever seen in any triple-A rated game before. Not only does the flawed multiplayer design make it nearly impossible for Epic Games to make a permanent fix for these problems, it is the reason why players can keep on making up new ways to break the game.

That's not even getting into balancing issues, incredibly stupid enemy AI in campaign, and the generally uninspired drivel that was campaign. "


I was into it when I first got my Xbox, until I realized the experience was never going to change. The little rant doesn't go as far as mentioning the severe lack of depth in multiplayer, or the incredible boredom that was co-op. I had great fun with it at first (it was my first console multiplayer game), but deep contempt and hatred brewed as time went on. I also blame it for driving the design decisions that ultimately ended up being Unreal Tournament 3's downfall.

#18 Posted by Hexproof (177 posts) -

Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, the whole game was stylus based which made it feel gimmicky. The option to use Buttons Should've been added.
The World Ends With You

#19 Posted by TheGTAvaccine (2884 posts) -

I hate Gears of War.

#20 Posted by Coltonio7 (3156 posts) -

Gears of War. I thought it was an alright action game, but nothing really earth-shattering.

#21 Posted by BoG (5192 posts) -

I thought Okami was boring and easy, couldn't go on at a certain point and just sold it.

#22 Posted by xxNBxx (980 posts) -
Jayge said:
"Several months.

"Gears of War was a flawed game. It was built on an engine designed specifically to look better than it actually performs (hence heavy texture pop-ins and lack of diverse color palettes). The game's online netcode is some of the worst ever conceived, resulting in rampant bandwidth wasting, poor usage of combined processing power, and extremely limited application. Tweakable settings are minimal, the lobby system is terrible. Lag/"host advantage" caused by stupid and lazy programming puts heavy strain on host's connection. When the host DOES have an acceptable connection, game performance is fine, but the host then gains enough of a speed boost to dominate the match uncharacteristically. Because all actions must pass through the host's router (the central hub), all outside connections take twice as long to transmit data to other players compared to the host. The host's packets only travel half as far, because the data originates at the host router, so no time is wasted transferring data twice.

These flaws also allowed for the game's many glitches, more than I have ever seen in any triple-A rated game before. Not only does the flawed multiplayer design make it nearly impossible for Epic Games to make a permanent fix for these problems, it is the reason why players can keep on making up new ways to break the game.

That's not even getting into balancing issues, incredibly stupid enemy AI in campaign, and the generally uninspired drivel that was campaign. "


I was into it when I first got my Xbox, until I realized the experience was never going to change. The little rant doesn't go as far as mentioning the severe lack of depth in multiplayer, or the incredible boredom that was co-op. I had great fun with it at first (it was my first console multiplayer game), but deep contempt and hatred brewed as time went on. I also blame it for driving the design decisions that ultimately ended up being Unreal Tournament 3's downfall."
I liked the single player part of gears it was fun, yes the last boss was cheap.  They said themself that the multi player was tacked on.  I agree on the mulitplayer side.  For a game that was about stop and pop single player the multi-player part was about "let me run up and tag you with a nad or cut you inhalf with the saw"   The guns themself were bland.  I got bored of GoW multi real fast. 
#23 Posted by ArchScabby (5809 posts) -

Twilight Princess. I mean I had already played it like ten years ago,  but then it was called ocarina of time.

#24 Posted by suneku (2997 posts) -

Recently, Gears of War and Assassin's Creed.

#25 Posted by mcneb (39 posts) -

Bioshock because I didn't like being in that world.  The game seemed good, but I didn't like the vibe of the world, if you know what I mean.

#26 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -

I really didn't like Rainbow Six: Vegas, not one bit.

#27 Posted by Supertramp (55 posts) -

I'd say Halo 3 for me.
I'm JUST NOW, just recently, starting to enjoy the MP a lot more than I had since...well, ever since I bought it on day one.
Just couldn't get into it. Whenever I get my Xbox Live up and running again, I'm gonna pop it in though & give it a whirl.

#28 Posted by twenty0ne (3071 posts) -

Super Mario Galaxy. I thought the camera work was horrible and the gameplay was bland.

#29 Edited by DualReaver (3882 posts) -

Assassin's Creed and Bioshock while I thought it was a good game, I didn't think it was near as good as the reviews hyped it to be.

#30 Posted by Jayge_ (10221 posts) -
twenty0ne said:
"Super Mario Galaxy. I thought the camera work was horrible and the gameplay was bland."
And how man, and how.
#31 Posted by Callik (138 posts) -
Arkthemaniac said:
And Oblivion. Oblivion is probably the most overrated game ever."
Good to see someone else thinks the same. I'm a huge PC RPG player but after getting to the first gate just lost all interest. Tried to get back into it several times to no avail.

Still haven't finished Halo 3 single player either, that pretty much bored me senseless.
#32 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -
FengShuiGod said:
"I was underwhelmed by Orange Box."
All of it?
#33 Posted by FengShuiGod (1492 posts) -
LordAndrew said:
"FengShuiGod said:
"I was underwhelmed by Orange Box."
All of it?"
Yeah.

I had already played Half-Life 2, so I wasn't exactly pumped to get it again. Episodes 1 and 2 were ok, but I didn't feel like they were great. I didn't like TF2 at all. The best part about OB was Portal, but that was so short.

Maybe I was wrong to bring up Orange Box in a thread titled "well received games that you just didn't like." It's not that I don't like OB, I just didn't think it was nearly as good as the reviews made it out to be.

#34 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

Braid

#35 Posted by crunchUK (5963 posts) -

GTA4... it was just DULL and they should have kept the fanatsy and touch of craziness from the previous ones. and half life i dunno i just couldn#t get into it

#36 Edited by clubsandwich (3795 posts) -

CoD4, most overrated game ever, seriously, it was the same CoD, but in a modern time. I also forgot to mention Halo 3, totally overrated crap. The SP fails on epic scale, and the MP is only fun with friends, I have to admit though that I love some of the random moments in the MP.

#37 Posted by crunchUK (5963 posts) -
clubsandwich said:
"CoD4, most overrated game ever, seriously, it was the same CoD, but in a modern time."
oh yeah, and that. call me craxzy but i even thought cod 3 was better... the different classes and big battles made things fun and it was surpisingly balanced apart from slight favourage of the sniper but virtually all games are kinda like that
#38 Posted by Hellscell (34 posts) -

gta4 and bioshock. let the flaming begin

#39 Posted by DARKIDO07 (876 posts) -
xxNBxx said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
"You're MAD.

I'd say GTA4 most recently. And Oblivion. Oblivion is probably the most overrated game ever."

Yeah i know i am crazy.    I can see why someone would not like GTA4.  Oblivion is a game you ether love it or hate it.

Jayge said:
"I'm no fan of Gears of War."

I guess you just didn't like the controls. maybe?

DARKIDO07 said:

"Bioshock, I played it for the first 30 minutes and was like "hmmm this feels a bit like Half-Life YEA!"But sadly I couldn't get into it. :( I don't know I just lost interest in it I guess."

I don't see how bioshock is like half-life I mean they are both shooters and ahhh thats about where it ends.   I think where someone can get stuck on not liking Bioshock is that the weapons are kind of bland.

"
Well similarities between Bioshock and Half-Life 2

1) All first person cut scenes
2) You start out with a monkey wrench in Bioshock and a crowbar in Half-Life 2
3) Enemies are zombies
4) Your a lone
5) Atlus is kinda like Alyx

ect.

I don't know I just felt like they were similar but yeah the weapons were pretty bland and I just couldn't get into, I just stopped caring about the characters, (aka Atlus)

#40 Posted by Bucketdeth (8048 posts) -

Gears Of War, That game was like playing with a really hot retarded chick.

#41 Posted by xxNBxx (980 posts) -
DARKIDO07 said:
"xxNBxx said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
"You're MAD.

I'd say GTA4 most recently. And Oblivion. Oblivion is probably the most overrated game ever."

Yeah i know i am crazy.    I can see why someone would not like GTA4.  Oblivion is a game you ether love it or hate it.

Jayge said:
"I'm no fan of Gears of War."

I guess you just didn't like the controls. maybe?

DARKIDO07 said:

"Bioshock, I played it for the first 30 minutes and was like "hmmm this feels a bit like Half-Life YEA!"But sadly I couldn't get into it. :( I don't know I just lost interest in it I guess."

I don't see how bioshock is like half-life I mean they are both shooters and ahhh thats about where it ends.   I think where someone can get stuck on not liking Bioshock is that the weapons are kind of bland.

"
Well similarities between Bioshock and Half-Life 2

1) All first person cut scenes
2) You start out with a monkey wrench in Bioshock and a crowbar in Half-Life 2
3) Enemies are zombies
4) Your a lone
5) Atlus is kinda like Alyx

ect.

I don't know I just felt like they were similar but yeah the weapons were pretty bland and I just couldn't get into, I just stopped caring about the characters, (aka Atlus)

"
You almost had me till you got to 4.   There are no zombies in bioshock but i let that one slide cause some of the crazies are zombie like.   But in half-life you spend most of the game with other ppl.  And if you got to the end you would know that Atlus is nothing like Alex.   Did you get to the Ryan?  If you can get up to Ryan you might feel better about it.   That said there isn't much to come back to after you bet it.  Unlike half-life2 where i have played that game and all the eps like 4 times.
#42 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

Crysis got a lot of praise around the gaming industry with phrases like "ground breaking!", "GOTY material" and claims from its creators like "open world gameplay", "no more linearity" and "players can do what they wish!". But what i got when i played was a game with very nice visuals and no real substance to the gameplay.

#43 Posted by Cube (4366 posts) -

Oblivion, Mass Effect, Bioshock.

#44 Posted by Guest (41 posts) -

Shadow of the Colossus.  I beat it despite finding the whole damn thing to be boring.

#45 Posted by TimeWaffle (946 posts) -

I played GTA 4 and just couldn't figure out how it got perfect tens

#46 Posted by Mrnitropb (2090 posts) -

Devil May Cry 4. I just stopped playing once I switched characters. I'd never played any of the previous ones, and was just Meh'd by it at best.

#47 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
Hamz said:
"Crysis got a lot of praise around the gaming industry with phrases like "ground breaking!", "GOTY material" and claims from its creators like "open world gameplay", "no more linearity" and "players can do what they wish!". But what i got when i played was a game with very nice visuals and no real substance to the gameplay."
The game press all around is generally very inclined to give good scores to games that impress on the technical side more than anything, such as: GTA4, MGS4, Oblivion, The Conduit, and Crysis, as you said.
#48 Posted by HistoryInRust (6401 posts) -

I certainly didn't care for Bioshock

The whole game was really contrived to me.  Sure, it all but plagiarizes Ayn Rand's objectivist philosophy, but that doesn't make up for the myriad deficiencies the game bears in its general composition -- the enemies grow nigh-bulletproof rather inexplicably; the hacking system does all it can to break any sense of immersionl; the game (falsely) brandishes a "free-roaming" environment, but prevents the player from backtracking, and ultimately discourages exploration . . . and the final boss fails to challenge the players widely-amassed plasmid skills.  

And for the whole Bioshock = Half-Life 2 argument: the crowbar statement in the beginning is a direct reference to the Half-Life series, and, on a separate note, Telekinesis is the Gravity Gun, essentially.  In my opinion, Half-Life 2 does a much better job at presenting a dystopian world.  

As for other games:
-Grand Theft Auto IV
-Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
-Halo 3
-Rainbow Six Vegas

#49 Posted by Meresin (147 posts) -

GTA IV. I got carried away in the hype, so I bought it...Now I can't figure out why. :P

I've kinda given up on ever trusting reviews again after that game. It wasn't bad, but all the stupid shit that the games media got hyped over was stuff that had nothing at all to do with the whole "game" aspect of the product. It was stupid crap like NPCs stopping for a bite to eat that got them going, and that doesn't make up for clunky third-person controls and nightmarishly bad driving. In fact, it's completely inconsequential, and I have a feeling that the only reason they noticed it at all was because someone at Rockstar was pointing it out and talking about how great they felt it was.

This doesn't even take into account the graphics. I kept reading how great the game looked, yet when I actually started playing it, I couldn't help wondering what the guys that reviewed it were smoking. The cutscene animations looked very mechanical, the character models were meh at best, and the resolution was just plain bad. They may have rendered a whole city, but if it doesn't look good, then who really gives a shit? After spending some time with the game, I understood exactly why they didn't show any gameplay until the game's release...They had a lot to hide.

Pardon all the hate, but I can't help being puzzled by the stupidly high scores that game nailed down.

#50 Edited by normajean777 (450 posts) -
KillaMaStA said:
"Warhawk, its crap.

EDIT: Ok, you want a longer answer, you got it.

First of all, i was a BIG fan of resistance when Warhawk came out  so mostly everyone i knew hated warhawk  cuz it wasstealing players from resistance.So i always figured that the game must be crap.
Then, a few months later i just had some money lying around so i thought id get a new game to online and saw warhawk, checked it out on teh interenet and thought that it might be decent and if it sucks then ill still have the headset (I bought the disc).

My troubles with it began at the very beginning since i couldnt get  online for several hours for some reason.So by the time i got into the game i was already pissed off.
What i really hated about the game were the airplanes, i feel that they made all other forms of combat in the game pointless.
And then the other machines, they didnt feel good to drive, they didnt feel right for me.
There was very little of team gameplay since everyone was at different ends of the level and doing their own thing.
The music in the game sucked, i hated the menu music so i always turned the volume down when i wasnt in a game.
And the overall combat in the game(other than grenades) didnt feel satisfying.
Inever understood how i was meant to play that game, even after forcing myself to play the game for several hours straight i was still getting owned and im pretty good at games and this really made me mad.
So thats why Warhawk is crap."
Just to defend warhawk everybody gets owned at the beginning of warhawk its tough and gives no leway to noobs. also they have fixed a lot of the balance issues of the past now the warhawks are not the end all be all of the game anymore. But you just didnt like it but i love it. Some games i didnt like are

Bioshock- never got the whole OMG this is the best game ever aspect it was ok but meh didnt really care for it
Mass effect- epic fail in biowares history to buggy and lame story
Gta4-realism killed it like i said before Gta was known for its absurdity
Sc4- i like it but hate it in so many ways.
oblivion- i could not get into this one im not to fond on WRPGs to begin with so this one was very boring for me