#1 Edited by JZ (2125 posts) -

The day where actually interesting things will be annouced and then you find out it was a lame ass april fools day joke. Wait something you actually want or sounds interesting is coming out? Nope april fools.

#2 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

The guy who invented April is a dick, I think it was a Roman guy.

#3 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

Yeah they probably stole it from the greeks, like they did with everything else.

#5 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (954 posts) -

#6 Edited by Video_Game_King (35843 posts) -

@dagbiker said:

The guy who invented April is a dick

Really?

#7 Edited by Krullban (1021 posts) -

I like Google Nose Beta.

#8 Posted by StarvingGamer (7919 posts) -

I love it. Especially all the self-deprecating meta commentary companies end up doing on themselves. Why hate on creativity?

#9 Posted by Branthog (7340 posts) -

It's that time, each year, where I look at the news items on Slashdot and think "I know it has been fifteen years, but I think I am done with this place".

It's also the equivalent of New Year's Eve and Saint Patrick's Day being a thing adults detest, because it's just amateur-night for drinking kids.

Most egregious of all is that people don't understand what a practical joke is. Writing a stupid funny/fake headline is not a practical joke. Saying you're making a product that you're not making isn't a practical joke. Lying is not a practical joke.

"HEY BOB WHY ARE YOU AT WORK ON A SUNDAY, HUH?! HAHAHA APRIL FOOL'S, IT'S NOT REALLY SUNDAY HAHAHAHAHAH!".

It really makes me fucking hate people more than I already do and it is like the real-life version of facebook, in that it gives you a quick and sad insight into the people you surround yourself with. On Facebook, you can quickly say "oh, I never realized this person was a racist religious nutsack" or "wow, I wish I never knew Alice was into numerology and astrology -- I used to think she wasn't an idiot". On April Fool's, you can quickly say "oh, I never realized Jim was such a mouth-breather and thought this shit was funny . . . "

A practical joke is like in 1988, when Sun Microsystems engineers turned the CEO's office into a 4-par golf hole. Or in 1986, when Sun's engineers removed all the furniture from Eric Schmidt's office and reqplaced it with a VW Beetle, which they disassembled and then reassembled inside his office. Or a few years ago, when Sun engineers took CEO Jonothan Schwart'z office and moved it into a cargo shipping container in the parking lot. Or in the early 90s, when Sun engineers moved one of the R&D engineers' office to the bottom of an aquarium.

THOSE are practical jokes.

#10 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4139 posts) -

This is what has come from the ghost of IGN April Fools' Past.

I love it, I love it, I love it. I want some more of it. :)

#11 Posted by Milkman (16486 posts) -

I can assure you that every day is bullshit internet day.

#12 Edited by mrmanga (219 posts) -

Google did Google SMELL this year. Super obvious joke.
Youtube claimed to review all the videos ever uploaded.
Havent seen any game related once yet though. But i suppose there wil be some. I do hope the David Hayter and MGS 5 news is an early april joke and will be announced as BS soon.

#13 Posted by Branthog (7340 posts) -

@mrmanga said:

Google did Google SMELL this year. Super obvious joke.

Youtube claimed to review all the videos ever uploaded.

Havent seen any game related once yet though. But i suppose there wil be some. I do hope the David Hayter and MGS 5 news is an early april joke and will be announced as BS soon.

Except those have nothing to do with April Fools Day.

April Fools is about practical jokes.

Practical jokes are about fooling people. Specifically, pulling pranks that make someone the butt of the joke (preferably, in a way that they will find humor in it, themselves, too).

Nobody falls for stupid headlines or news stories or product introductions. Therefore, those are not practical jokes. They are lazy, stupid, idiotic things that unimaginative amateurs do, to generate traffic. See my previous post in this thread for an example of proper April Fools day activities.

#14 Posted by mrmanga (219 posts) -

@branthog: Internet stuff and people never care if its actually related or not tho

#15 Edited by Turambar (6641 posts) -

@branthog: The idea that someone would preach about "proper April Fools day activities" is an April Fools joke unto itself right? No one has that big of a stick up their ass?

#16 Edited by Branthog (7340 posts) -

@turambar said:

@branthog: The idea that someone would preach about "proper April Fools day activities" is an April Fools joke unto itself right? No one has that big of a stick up their ass?

After about twenty years of waking up to 36hrs of idiotic crap from people un-creatively wasting your time everywhere you look on the internet (every headline at every site for every subject that you read for an entire day and a thousand people pointing the obvious out in the comments about how "this is a april fools joke you guise!"), you'll get grumpy about it, too.

And get the fuck off my lawn!

#17 Edited by Turambar (6641 posts) -

@branthog: I'm a few years past half way there and I don't see myself getting to that point. Though I'm pretty happy April 1st falls on spring break, so I won't have to deal with April Fools jokes from my 11th grade students.

#18 Posted by Seb (358 posts) -

Adam Boyes being the new CEO of EA is brilliant.

#19 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (954 posts) -

Joakim Mogren is CG.

#20 Edited by Ares42 (2559 posts) -

I still remember stumbling over Blizzards "2 people can play a two-headed ogre in WoW" april fools joke that was still up from several months ago, thinking it was really awesome, and not figuring it out it was a joke before long after.

Oh Blizzard, why did you crush my dreams =(

#21 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (954 posts) -
#22 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (2955 posts) -

Feel bad for loved ones who die on this day. People are not sure if they should laugh or just be plain angry at an insensitive joke that's actually real.

#23 Posted by ajamafalous (11821 posts) -

Hopefully Blizzard does something good this year, because the last few years have been kinda forgettable.

#24 Posted by TruthTellah (8423 posts) -

Every day is Bull---- Day on the Internet.

#25 Edited by casper_ (901 posts) -

i liked this one a lot.

#26 Edited by rentfn (1277 posts) -

I think YouTube's video is pretty great concept.

#27 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4139 posts) -

Here's more IGN April Fools.

Oh well! ~ You know damn well, its well produced. Yea., you'd totally watch that HP-Arrow knockoff.

#28 Posted by Prestige (82 posts) -

@branthog said:

A practical joke is like in 1988, when Sun Microsystems engineers turned the CEO's office into a 4-par golf hole. Or in 1986, when Sun's engineers removed all the furniture from Eric Schmidt's office and reqplaced it with a VW Beetle, which they disassembled and then reassembled inside his office. Or a few years ago, when Sun engineers took CEO Jonothan Schwart'z office and moved it into a cargo shipping container in the parking lot. Or in the early 90s, when Sun engineers moved one of the R&D engineers' office to the bottom of an aquarium.

OK, so just to be sure I understand you, the definition of a "practical joke" is when engineers at Sun Microsystems displace objects in an office at Sun Microsystems? No wonder you're so upset; none of these other so-called "jokes" even involve the furniture in Sun Microsystems offices.

#29 Posted by Branthog (7340 posts) -

@prestige said:

@branthog said:

OK, so just to be sure I understand you, the definition of a "practical joke" is when engineers at Sun Microsystems displace objects in an office at Sun Microsystems? No wonder you're so upset; none of these other so-called "jokes" even involve the furniture in Sun Microsystems offices.

Yes, they're examples of what a practical joke is. A huge segment of society doesn't seem to know, if this annual observance is anything to measure it by. Also look up the rich history of MIT practical jokes, through the decades.

#30 Edited by breton (1437 posts) -

The greater issue is that it's not even about jokes or bullshit or tricking people. It's just the annual make something up day and everyone says "oh ha you made that up". People really have to start their April fools jokes months in advance, generate buzz on it whether it's positive or negative, then on April 1st tell everyone it was a lie. It would have the double effect of people expecting something to be an April fools joke and then when April 1st comes around they find that the company is actually serious.

#31 Edited by TruthTellah (8423 posts) -

@branthog: heh. I should have known that you could find some way to be angry over something on April Fools' Day, Branthog. Are there any subjects of conversation that can't get you at least mildly miffed? You seem to want to be grumpy and argue all the time. I can understand why you might not feel like being particularly positive in every instance, but come on.

For April Fools' Day this year, maybe you could pull a practical joke on Giant Bomb by being surprisingly positive and considerate of others and their possible differences? Then, Bam! at the end of the day you reveal that it was all a clever ruse and you hadn't turned over a new leaf at all.

Or... you could even continue on with the joke for a while...

#32 Posted by Branthog (7340 posts) -

@branthog: heh. I should have known that you could find some way to be angry over something on April Fools' Day, Branthog. Are there any subjects of conversation that can't get you at least mildly miffed? You seem to want to be grumpy and argue all the time. I can understand why you might not feel like being particularly positive in every instance, but come on.

For April Fools' Day this year, maybe you could pull a practical joke on Giant Bomb by being surprisingly positive and considerate of others and their possible differences? Then, Bam! at the end of the day you reveal that it was all a clever ruse and you hadn't turned over a new leaf at all.

Or... you could continue on with the joke for a while... You know, whatever works.

Hey, I was keeping in spirit with the topic as posted by JZ. When someone pulls of a clever prank, I'm as excited as anyone else about it. Unfortunately, the day is - in practice - just 24hrs of nuisances (hah, our website is now a thing about another thing lol!... *sigh*).

(On the other hand, it's hard to pull a truly epic prank on April Fools day outside of a "look at this outrageous thing we moved/built/changed!", because . . . well, the name of the day sort of telegraphs any peculiarities encountered as almost certain goofs!)

Don't get me wrong, though. There are holidays that I really enjoy. Like Black Friday, when shoppers desperate to save seventy cents turn violent on each other! :D

#33 Posted by TruthTellah (8423 posts) -

@breton said:

The greater issue is that it's not even about jokes or bullshit or tricking people. It's just the annual make something up day and everyone says "oh ha you made that up". People really have to start their April fools jokes months in advance, generate buzz on it whether it's positive or negative, then on April 1st tell everyone it was a lie. It would have the double effect of people expecting something to be an April fools joke and then when April 1st comes around they find that the company is actually serious.

I think you just explained The Phantom Pain.

#34 Posted by TruthTellah (8423 posts) -

@branthog said:

@truthtellah said:

Or... you could continue on with the joke for a while... You know, whatever works.

Hey, I was keeping in spirit with the topic as posted by JZ. When someone pulls of a clever prank, I'm as excited as anyone else about it. Unfortunately, the day is - in practice - just 24hrs of nuisances (hah, our website is now a thing about another thing lol!... *sigh*).

(On the other hand, it's hard to pull a truly epic prank on April Fools day outside of a "look at this outrageous thing we moved/built/changed!", because . . . well, the name of the day sort of telegraphs any peculiarities encountered as almost certain goofs!)

Don't get me wrong, though. There are holidays that I really enjoy. Like Black Friday, when shoppers desperate to save seventy cents turn violent on each other! :D

Though, isn't there something a bit fun about the absurdity of it all? A day where nothing is suspect on the Internet, because everything is suspect on the Internet. A day where most things are questioned, even when they're real.

Companies obsessed with portraying their own brand of promotional truth on a daily basis just embrace open falsehood. April Fools' Day isn't just about making others look like fools; it's about everyone, from a child to a big corporation, being able to openly trick one another or simply present a silly falsehood as reality. That's in contrast to most days, when people try to conceal their tricks and don't admit their presentations of falsehoods as reality. April Fools' Day is an opportunity for a level of honesty from the Internet that is rarely seen, and even when the lies are stupid or obvious, they still celebrate a day when the average trickery is set aside for a bit of self-admitted absurdity.

#35 Edited by Branthog (7340 posts) -

@branthog said:

@truthtellah said:

Though, isn't there something a bit fun about the absurdity of it all? A day where nothing is suspect on the Internet, because everything is suspect on the Internet. A day where most things are questioned, even when they're real.

Companies obsessed with portraying their own brand of promotional truth on a daily basis just embrace open falsehood. April Fools' Day isn't just about making others look like fools; it's about everyone, from a child to a big corporation, being able to openly trick one another or simply present a silly falsehood as reality. That's in contrast to most days, when people try to conceal their tricks and don't admit their presentations of falsehoods as reality. April Fools' Day is an opportunity for a level of honesty from the Internet that is rarely seen, and even when the lies are stupid or obvious, they still celebrate a day when the average trickery is set aside for a bit of self-admitted absurdity.

I would throw my support behind it, if we changed the name to "Liar's Day". Actually, I think that would be fucking awesome.

#36 Posted by LiquidPrince (15836 posts) -

@rentfn said:

I think YouTube's video is pretty great concept.

The first time I saw that I nearly had a heart attack.

#37 Posted by TruthTellah (8423 posts) -

@branthog said:

@truthtellah said:

@branthog said:

@truthtellah said:

I would throw my support behind it, if we changed the name to "Liar's Day". Actually, I think that would be fucking awesome.

Right? If you think about what it has actually become rather than what it could be, the day is actually kind of great.

#38 Edited by N7 (3572 posts) -

April 1st is "Don't take anything Kojima says seriously" day.

#39 Posted by zenmastah (871 posts) -

Isnt that every day, really?