Weren't these console launches somewhat of a bummer?

• 133 results
GuyIncognito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By GuyIncognito

Poll Weren't these console launches somewhat of a bummer? (376 votes)

Yes, I'm disappointed. 43%
No, I'm having fun with BF4, COD, FIFA, etc. 33%
I feel the power of the cloud/Playstation nation for life 11%
Knack, Crimson Dragon, LocoCycle, Ryse, microtransactions are the next gen baby 13%

They could have for example at least put emulators on the PS4/XBOne to play PS2/XB1 games. Otherwise, it looks pretty bleak for the next few months. What else could have they done?

I managed to ignore or somehow miss out on the previous major launches (I was alive during the NES launch). Was it always this depressing?

• 
GeekDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I feel like people have really unrealistic expectations with launches and technology in general. Every thing that's made can't be revolutionary and change the way we play games. They released the consoles and there are games for them. What more do you want? So no, I wouldn't call it a bummer just a regular console launch.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

Maybe it's because I was younger, but the launches of the GameCube/PS2/Xbox and Wii/PS3/360 were much more exciting. I was digesting every tidbit of info I could about the then "next gen" games, but this gen I just am not interested. There's nothing that really seems new and exciting to me.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I'm not disappointed because this was what I was expecting. A handful of decent games (some of which are also on the previous generation of consoles) but nothing that makes you stand up and go "This completley justifies me dropping ($400/500 + $60x where x is the number of games you purchased that aren't Resogun or Killer Instinct) on a next generation console."

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Nope, KI is awesome and so is DR3 and Forza 5, but fucking KI is such a surprise. Next i'll get Zoo Tycoon and BF4, when the bugs are all sorted out, and that is an awesome launch if you ask me.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

There is no "I find new tech fascinating even though I'm not buying a new console at least for a very long while"

I think it's been fun. Plus, there's a bunch of new games coming out soon as well. A lot to look forward to.

Broomhitches

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Broomhitches

I think most of the excitement stems from the fact that a new generation is here and both consoles have so much potential. I'm more excited for the post-launch period to occur.

Kung_Fu_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Kung_Fu_Viking

How would putting emulators on the consoles have made the launch better?

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

No "See Results" or "At least now I feel good about getting a Wii U/Pc?"

'Cause I woulda voted either of those. Wasn't really expecting much, so I wasn't disappointed, and the livestream jankiness was fun.

smitty86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's two things: 1) we are all older, and 2) the world has completely changed. The Internet, online purchases, computing technology, video games as a whole, etc. a You can't really catch all that hype in a bottel as you could before. But years ago, when I was much younger, I'd practically drool over just blurry ass photos in an EGM or GamePro mag.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted for disappointed, but that's not quite right. I mean, disappointment implies expectation. If you've been paying attention to console cycles, you'll notice this is historically par of the course. Launch releases are almost never noteworthy. In fact, they're usually worse than this. Give it until this time next year and ask again. I bet a lot more people will be excited about what's happening on these consoles by that time.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11  Edited By Nodima

If I could afford one right now, I'd be having PLENTY of fun with the new NBA 2K14. I skipped the PS3 version specifically for this version when I finally get a PS4 after I get my tax return next spring. I also think Resogun looks really cool. I wouldn't call it a bummer. It's not flying around Mount Rushmore in Pilotwings 64 or doing triple jumps into the castle wall in Super Mario 64 or jumping on Yoshi for the first time in Super Mario World or seeing just how far out into the wilderness I could go in Smuggler's Run or playing the MotorStorm demo on PS3 over and over and over again (I don't think I actually owned a PS3 game until Modern Warfare or Skate, whichever came first), but then this is the first launch I've had to skip due to financial concerns, my first launch as a real adult. So it's a bummer for reminding me I pay bills now, and am old. But otherwise pretty damn exciting (I am a Mac owner so I will never be a PC gamer).

TriBeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm looking forward to new games that can target more powerful systems than the PS3/360. I'm really interested to see improvements in not just graphics, but AI and size of the world and stuff that couldn't be done well, if at all, on last gen.

However, as far as hardware goes, the PS4 to me is OK, but nothing more, and the One is kind of a disappointment (and I say that as a 360 owner). That being said, until some exclusives come out that draw me in like the last of us did, I'm sticking to PC for the forseeable future. Graphics on PC have been held back by consoles on all but a few games (looking at you, Witcher, among others) and I'm glad to see that bar raised, and I think the top end PC hardware out now is going to be able to keep up with everything on consoles for quite a while, so people who have invested in their PC's will be able to go "next gen" as well.

It may not be an exciting time for everyone to buy a new box, but it should be an exciting time for everyone to be excited about games.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

nah, very happy with my PS4. I wasn't expecting much but after a quick USB update everything pretty much worked as advertised. Black Flag & Killzone are pretty decent, the hardware is awesome and well designed, and great games are on the horizon!!! Video Games!

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Launch lineups are never what they seem.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I was barely 15 when the 360 launched, so everything was a lot more exciting and new. The last launch was the first time I was fully aware of the news that was happening and it felt new. Now ita only the games that elicit a large reaction.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jimmyfenix

Unrealistic expectations as usual !

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By Jensonb

I don't get it, what exactly is everyone so bummed out about? What were you expecting?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

It's about on par with what to expect, really. I imagine that those that are super-disappointed by the launches probably haven't experienced that many of them.

TriBeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jensonb: Personally, I was hoping for games that ran at 1080p 60, and showed some real progress in terms of AI, or world size, or something. What we got is better than the old consoles (but not by THAT much), and certainly not really better than what has been seen on PC. I feel like that happened last gen. I know it was slow to get started, and I'm sure given more time it will improve, but I see instead of the consoles setting the bar that PC and the rest of the industry had to get to, and then waiting for them to get there, I see it as they are moving to being mostly at parity, and it's just a matter of time till they are what is holding back development again.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Console launches are all about meaningless hype and shitty games.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

You're somewhat of a bummer Negative Nancy.

Guesty_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean, what the fuck were you expecting man?

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#23  Edited By shinboy630

You're somewhat of a bummer Negative Nancy.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only exciting part for me is that, theoretically, this should lead to better pc versions of games in the future. The consoles have some neat ideas but none of them feel like much beyond a gimmick to me. I didn't see anything that tempted me to cheat on my pc. The only two games that caught my interest were Titanfall and Destiny, and we already know Titanfall is coming to pc and I would be shocked if Destiny doesn't show up at some point as well.

But congratulations to all the people who got a new console. Hopefully you're happy with it and are having a blast. Things will only get better for you as time moves forward and kinks are worked out as well as developers learning how to more effectively develop on the systems.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Nope. I'm having so much fun.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, having a great time with my PS4. I'm not nitpicky enough to be bummed out.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By turboman

I bought NBA 2k14, Resogun is a fucking blast to play, being able to play through Sound Shapes/Flower again for free is nice (waiting on the announcement for more cross-buy stuff, tremendous feature), Warframe is a really fun free to play game (and still haven't tried out DCUO or that other F2P game yet), Twitch integration is an interesting and fun new thing to play with. I'm really excited about the future of PS+ and the indie games that are set to come out pretty soon like OctoDad and The Witness as well as Infamous, Watchdogs, Driveclub (free on PS+), and Destiny.

No, I'm not bummed out, I'm pretty fucking stoked right now.

aceofspudz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By aceofspudz

This console launch was like every other console launch. The consoles were old and busted so they put out new ones.

Actually the launch games seem better than ever. Even the bad ones like Knack and Ryse are just mediocre, rather than fucking broken and terrible.

The difference now is the PC. If the PC wasn't such a strong platform compared to what it was at the launch of the 360, everyone would be fucking psyched. Basically they waited so long that PC ports bridged the gap and now the new consoles aren't exactly a revelation.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me, the fairly lacklustre launches of the recent handhelds had already made me expect to not be that thrilled about the new consoles. I'm not buying any any time soon, but wasn't going to even if they had totally kickass launches. I'm generally positive about them, the PS4 controller is a great fucking controller, and console games won't be looking so woefully outdated for a couple of years, but I'm not wow'd (I wasn't expecting to be wow'd either).

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This console launch was like every other console launch. The consoles were old and busted so they put out new ones.

Pretty much this. I know its been awhile since the last console launch, but it hasn't been so long that people shouldn't remember console launches are always the low-point of a console cycle.

Frankly, I found this launch way more exciting than any other launch I can recall, simply because of places like Giantbomb that can turn those lemons into goofy hilarious lemonade.

Avatar image for deactivated-58e114a345bdd
deactivated-58e114a345bdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

As a PC gamer I didn't care much. No exclusives were tempting me.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually the launch games seem better than ever. Even the bad ones like Knack and Ryse are just mediocre, rather than fucking broken and terrible.

The difference now is the PC. If the PC wasn't such a strong platform compared to what it was at the launch of the 360, everyone would be fucking psyched. Basically they waited so long that PC ports bridged the gap and now the new consoles aren't exactly a revelation.

Yeah, that's a big part of it. Check out this graph:

No Caption Provided

For past console launches, consoles eclipsed high-end PCs of the time, or were at least relatively close. With this console launch, we're seeing that the consoles being launched are already much less powerful than equivalent PCs.

Those of us entrenched in gaming are used to seeing the graphical fidelity that the Xbox One and PS4 are presenting, because it has existed for several years.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Because that way, I could finally play PS3 games.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I'm somewhat disappointed but I also wonder how high the bar gets raised for Watch Dogs now. Before it was the one interesting launch title that everyone was looking forward to - now that it's delayed I think a lot of expectations will be raised.

There's just literally nothing out right now that I'm interested in and the consoles themselves are not doing anything significantly different than their 8 year old counter-parts - in some cases even struggling to deliver the same service.

GuyIncognito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kung_fu_viking said:

So you could play something else on your machine, between sessions of BF4/Assassin's Creed/etc.

TriBeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starfoxa said:

@aceofspudz said:

Yeah, that's a big part of it. Check out this graph:

No Caption Provided

For past console launches, consoles eclipsed high-end PCs of the time, or were at least relatively close. With this console launch, we're seeing that the consoles being launched are already much less powerful than equivalent PCs.

Those of us entrenched in gaming are used to seeing the graphical fidelity that the Xbox One and PS4 are presenting, because it has existed for several years.

THIS x1000000000000

This is what I've been trying to say for so long, I just didn't have a nifty chart to back it up. Even my post earlier in the thread attempted to put this in to words. In the past, it was a leapfrog between PC and Console, and this helped all around to get better games. This time, we don't have that, so I can't help be be a little less excited about the future. We will see improvements, but not as large of improvements as we have before.

I got some nastiness in another thread because someone was advocating waiting until the next generation of GPUs to upgrade your PC because historically they generation that came out after the consoles lasted for the majority of the new console generation. That may have been true in the past, but I really think the high end stuff out there on both sides is already comparable or better than what the consoles will be capable of for a long time, if not for their life span.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By bigjeffrey

I'm having Fun.

TechDemoTREX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really. This feels like going from PS1/Saturn to DC/Xbox. Everything looks the way it should, and there's the promise the consoles can do a little more. And the launch games were pretty good on the MS side, as they were then (nothing close to Halo, but still). Do you remember PS2 launch? SSX and Ridge Racer, dude. People who lament it's nothing like the PS1 launch has to remember that (console) video gaming changed then. Videogaming doesn't change a whole lot of times.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#39  Edited By BeachThunder

@starfoxa said:

No Caption Provided

What's going on here - are consoles magically getting progressively better a year before release? o_O

No Caption Provided

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By StarFoxA

@tribeard: Precisely. And that graph is already outdated because the GTX 780 Ti is benchmarking better for gaming than the Titan.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SlashDance

I'm disappointed by the UI on both systems, but there seem to be more games to play this time, and the overall quality isn't bad by any stretch.

People often bring up Mario 64, but they forget that it was one of twoN64 launch games. The other was Pilot Wings, which I know some people love but... yeah... And it's not like the rest of the year was amazing, either. The SNES launch was better, but there was still only like 5 or 6 games tops.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beachthunder: That's just the way the graph is set up, it's only meant to show the leap in power from one console to the next.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kung_fu_viking said:

So you could play something else on your machine, between sessions of BF4/Assassin's Creed/etc.

So you can pay an extra $100+ to use the console to play games from several generations ago? Just pull out your PS2.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I think the Xbox one launch was better then expected actually. Dead Rising 3 has been awesome so far, Forza is Forza, KI is a much better playing then expected. I've only played about 30 mins of Ryse and can see how it might get old but it's a fun diversion when I don't want to race or kill zombies.

My PS 4 was DOA though so that was a bummer.

Opus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#45  Edited By Opus

Depends on your perspective when you go into it. I'm having a blast, myself.

How are you going to list CoD and Battlefield on the poll when the real winners are Resogun, Warframe, and Killer Instinct?

TriBeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starfoxa: and then you have cards like the R9 290 bringing almost titan levels of gaming performance, (depending on the game, resolution, etc.) for 400 bucks. So you can buy, for the same price as a PS4, a new graphics card that, assuming you have an i5+ processor and an open slot, maxed out 1080p gaming, not to mention 1440p gaming also maxed, but even 4k gaming at medium/medium-high settings. Consoles can't, and for this generation won't, ever be able to touch that.

GuyIncognito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@opus said:

How are you going to list CoD and Battlefield on the poll when the real winners are Resogun, Warframe, and Killer Instinct?

They're included in the "etc."

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm having Fun.

From what I've seen of this new KI trailer.

Loading Video...

I'm sure most people are having fun. Nothing but ''come get some'' style action.

subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I think its been a great launch. Decent line up on both sides. Nice multiplat games that run smooth and look great. This is a much better launch than the 360 was, which had a wasteland of games for the first few months. This has been one of the smoothest transitions I can think of.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tribeard: Yes, exactly! As someone who loves technology, I want to love the next consoles, but there's nothing there to offer me anything that a PC can't do, other than arbitrarily exclusive games.