• 116 results
Posted by Brad (2913 posts) -

Scarcely a week after Sony's new, smaller PS3 and accompanying price drop hit the scene, Xbox spokesguy Major Nelson has the word that Microsoft is ready to play ball with its own drop to $299 for the Xbox 360 Elite. Please, try to contain your surprise. 

Well, yeah, actually, we did.

As you can see, the Pro model is on the way out, with only the hard drive-absent Arcade and the all-black Elite models remaining on shelves. Arcade stays $199, and Elite drops right in line with the PlayStation 3 at $299. (You can scoop up a Pro with 60gb hard drive for a pretty decent deal at $249 while they're still in stores.) 

Man, remember when $299 was the price of a console at launch? Yeah, I guess those days will never come again. At least things are getting interesting now: With both consoles sitting at the same price point and the same hard drive size, what will tip the scales? Xbox Live? The PS3's Blu-ray? Who will reign supreme? Two consoles enter, one console leaves!

Are either of these price drops going to influence your purchasing decisions anytime soon?
Staff
#1 Posted by Brad (2913 posts) -

Scarcely a week after Sony's new, smaller PS3 and accompanying price drop hit the scene, Xbox spokesguy Major Nelson has the word that Microsoft is ready to play ball with its own drop to $299 for the Xbox 360 Elite. Please, try to contain your surprise. 

Well, yeah, actually, we did.

As you can see, the Pro model is on the way out, with only the hard drive-absent Arcade and the all-black Elite models remaining on shelves. Arcade stays $199, and Elite drops right in line with the PlayStation 3 at $299. (You can scoop up a Pro with 60gb hard drive for a pretty decent deal at $249 while they're still in stores.) 

Man, remember when $299 was the price of a console at launch? Yeah, I guess those days will never come again. At least things are getting interesting now: With both consoles sitting at the same price point and the same hard drive size, what will tip the scales? Xbox Live? The PS3's Blu-ray? Who will reign supreme? Two consoles enter, one console leaves!

Are either of these price drops going to influence your purchasing decisions anytime soon?
Staff
#2 Posted by Player1 (3861 posts) -

Well good news for anyone looking to buy a 360.  

As you said, not much of a surprise. 

#3 Posted by rjayb89 (7720 posts) -

I might buy another 360.  Got a dead 360 and BC PS3.

#4 Posted by chililili (1328 posts) -

Seems nice but it would be best if they replaced the arcade with the pro too. Now if you get a fully upgraded arcade it costs more thant he elite

#5 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Yep. Gonna get a cheap 360 HDD out of all this, and maybe a PS3 later this year. Depends on what games actually drop this fall.

I still wish they'd chosen to drop the arcade. Dependency on HDD could mean large games that don't need to be built around the idea of disc swapping.

#6 Posted by Joey2683 (355 posts) -

Hmmmm.
#7 Posted by Sherlock_Pwnz (49 posts) -

Irritatingly enough, the price of the arcade has gone up in europe. I was gonna buy one due my current 360 having tanked and gone out of warranty. 

Arse.

#8 Posted by zombie2011 (4972 posts) -

A 60GB at the same price as the Wii and the PSP Go, now thats a fucking deal right there.

#9 Posted by Reuben (622 posts) -

One thing to mention, The new Elite will not come with HD cables. Just composite.

#10 Posted by OroYoke (98 posts) -

Here is my big question.  Windows 7 is due in October, what if it were to flop just like Vista?  Will Microsoft continue to do price drops on their xbox 360s?

#11 Posted by Delta_Ass (3276 posts) -

Nope, I'm never buying a console until they have keyboard and mouse support and allow mods for games.

#12 Posted by Halberdierv2 (1869 posts) -
wow, the shock of  the announcement is overwhelming.
#13 Posted by ZmillA (2269 posts) -

Well now I can say pretty confidently that I will get a ps3 at some point, before I wasn't so certain

#14 Posted by OroYoke (98 posts) -
@Delta_Ass:  Wouldnt that be considered a PC if consoles were to go that route?
#15 Posted by jakob187 (21663 posts) -

Well, Brad, you bring up an interesting question:  which will reign supreme?  I think that the redesigning of the PS3, as well as what feels like a whole new launch for their product, is a great motivator for those who haven't gotten one.  The $299 price tag is proper and feels right, the product looks smoother, Sony proves time and time again that they are the forerunners for mixing together gaming and media capabilities, and obviously the price tag makes the conversion to Blu-ray a bit more sensical now.  HOWEVER, the PS3 doesn't support backward-compatibility...which is a MAJOR issue to me.  Part of the reason you dropped for a PS2 was to play your PS1 games still.  It was a HUGE selling point.  Meanwhile, I would want to play my PS2 games on my PS3.  This will be a drawback. 

Nonetheless, the 360 features limited BC and no Blu-ray player.  However, they have Xbox Live, which is the real selling point.  Sony's online "infrastructure" (read: lack thereof) just can't hold up to Xbox Live, and it's what has made the 360 a forerunner over Sony's console.  People want to play online, and Microsoft knows how to do that well.  While it does cost to get Xbox Live Gold, it's a cheap asking price ($50 for 13 months), and all the features it offers is IMMENSE!  Plus, how many times have we honestly ever had Xbox Live just flat-out go dead?  We have one friend's list for everything, we have Netflix parties, we have Facebook and Twitter on the way, we have Gamerscore, we have integrated voice chat for all games...I mean, it's a great package. 

Firmware 3.0 for the PS3 is really going to be the make-or-break for Sony at the moment.  They've brought the console down, and it feels like they are finally LAUNCHING the console with this 3.0 update.  However, is it too late in the game?  Well, Sony did say that they've got a box that could last them 10 years easily...and I'm starting to believe it. 

All three consoles handle their own specific strengths incredibly well:  Sony and media, Microsoft and online, Wii and motion controls.  Therefore, with the newfound price points for two of the three consoles, as well as three years since the consoles hit the market...there's honestly no reason to not have all three at this point!

#16 Edited by ververdan0226 (1573 posts) -

*cries*... I'm gonna finally have to buy a 360 sometime in the future...

#17 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

Can I unleash my surprise now Brad? Also this should make for an interesting holiday season....if you forget the Wii raping solely cus of  Wii Sports Resorts

#18 Posted by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

meh, i already have one collecting dust.

#19 Posted by RagingLion (1365 posts) -

Just fyi, but for those in the UK, while the elite has dropped in price, the arcade version has actually increased in price.  Yeah, seriously.

#20 Posted by VisariLoyalist (2991 posts) -

meh

#21 Posted by bekern (563 posts) -

I don't understand why the elite was $400 in the first place heh, but good news for people wanting to get a 360.

#22 Posted by Jolly_Lolly (3537 posts) -

I remember when I payed $420 (tax included) for a 20GB X360 Pro.... 

FUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

#23 Posted by anamanaman (56 posts) -

Good move for Microsoft. Now the 360 Arcade desperately needs the 20gb hard drive. Developers get screwed when people cant download their XboxLive Arcade games and other updates. Plus it would make things eventually faster for everyone since dev's could then take more advantage of hard drive caching.

PS3 Slim just arrived today (thanks amazon). My first PS3, however I think the 360 will still be my primary platform. 

#24 Posted by Dethfish (3639 posts) -

How many gigs is the HD on the Elite? My 20GB one is getting pretty full.

#25 Posted by DukesT3 (1906 posts) -

*gasp*

#26 Posted by Systech (4078 posts) -

Pretty amazing that the Arcade system still exists.

#27 Posted by monkeyman864 (77 posts) -
@Dethfish77: 120
#28 Posted by JeffGoldblum (3704 posts) -
@zombie2011 said:
" A 60GB at the same price as the Wii and the PSP Go, now thats a fucking deal right there. "
No that just means the Wii and Go! are overpriced :/
#29 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7615 posts) -
@Dethfish77 said:
" How many gigs is the HD on the Elite? My 20GB one is getting pretty full. "
120, but it's worth pointing out that the German Amazon site has just started listing a special Forza bundle with a 250gb HDD.
#30 Posted by and333 (842 posts) -

To bad I already have one....PS3 Slim here I come! It is a good value tho.

#31 Posted by OneEyedNinja7 (797 posts) -

Does this mean the standalone 120gb hard drive also gets a price drop?

#32 Posted by destruktive (1069 posts) -

in norway you can barely get an arcade for $299 :|

#33 Posted by Famov (768 posts) -

The 360 and the PS3 at lower prices is a benefit to everyone, and I'm glad to see it happen.
#34 Posted by stephengotlost (703 posts) -

Sony: Aww, come on!

#35 Edited by Mjolnir (456 posts) -

The Pro I just got was from Dell and was a bit less than even the new listed price. About the best deal I could find on one that wasn't used.

#36 Posted by Kenzo287 (722 posts) -

Man I hope Nintendo follows suit and lowers the price of their console to $299...oh wait...never mind

#37 Posted by mnzy (2914 posts) -

I don't like the way they are going. 
If you ask me, they should just have one 360, with an HDD and in white. 

I really don't get why they still keep the Arcade one alive, please explain it to me :F

#38 Posted by phlegms (1607 posts) -

I feel a trade in coming on...

#39 Posted by Zajtalan (1163 posts) -

microsoft is a bunch of scumbags

#40 Posted by stenchlord (233 posts) -

Giantbomb dudes, may want to take note that the Arcade console in the UK is actually going to be going UP in price.

#41 Posted by Bubahula (2197 posts) -
@Zajtalan said:
"microsoft is a bunch of scumbags "

your right,.. how dare they charge less... 

antways neither of these price drops affect me because ive already bought a 360
#42 Edited by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

I havent gotten either a ps3 or 360 so im missing out BADLY.... But i might get one now :O
Hope i get lucky
But now that their the same price....DAMIT now i have to make a choice...

#43 Posted by akumous (91 posts) -
@jakob187:  I just want to say one thing about the online for both consoles. Um, have you ever play games on the PS3? Both consoles have lag and both consoles online is competent...it just a matter of preference.  MS pioneered the online for console gaming and it has benefited them greatly since a lot of consumers thinks their online is superior. Sony online isn't too shabby and it is easy to make friends depending on the game.
#44 Posted by ReFracture (107 posts) -

I'm so cheap with game consoles, the PS3 was the only one I made an exception for. 

I didn't buy a PS2 until they were $80.
I didn't buy a Gamecube until they were $100
I didn't buy an xbox until it was about $119 or something like that

I made the jump and bought a PS3 at $400, and until the 360 drops to around $150 (and comes with a hard drive), I'm
just going to keep waiting. Not a whole lot of exclusives I want to play.

#45 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

Since I already own a 360 I wont be buying another. But the PS3 looks more and more tempting. I'm not convinced I would play it a whole lot though.

#46 Posted by ChrisTilton (154 posts) -

The new price dropped elite doesn't come with any HD cables of any kind. I think this should be pointed out, and also the fact it is an extremely lame move by MS.

#47 Posted by Crono (2653 posts) -
@bekern said:
" I don't understand why the elite was $400 in the first place..."
I second that.
#48 Posted by mark2000 (111 posts) -

What good timing. I'm actually planning on buying a 360 sometime soon.

#49 Posted by bigdaddyjack21 (174 posts) -

Gotta say if I was in the market for a system (I own both of em) I would have to go PS3 at this point with blu ray and free internet would win me over 

#50 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Has the Wii's price ever dropped? Or has it just not been something I've payed enough attention too to notice?