#1 Edited by Seppli (10250 posts) -

All MMOs are lacking - to cater to their Massively Multiplayer Online nature - making networking/synchronizing and whatnot managable. The question at hand is...

'What are current MMOs lacking, according to you?'

#2 Edited by Seppli (10250 posts) -

This is by no means meant to be my *comprehensive answer* to the question, just some minor examples of what is lacking according to me...

• Double Jump
  • Metroidvania-style Exploration and Progression
  • Ragdoll Physics on NPCs on kills & knockbacks & such
#3 Posted by spyder335 (367 posts) -

i find the combat just not dynamic enough to keep me invested

also the quests are almost 90% garbage, go here kill 25 of the thing come back to me or go here collect 5 of these tat have a 6% drop rate

#4 Posted by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

Procedurally generated content would go a long way to making these games more interesting.

I do not expect the game play to become more interesting, and the simplicity is more of a core property than negotiable factor. But for a game predicated on boring repetition (where the interst is purely social) just moving the hallways and trash packs around a bit each time could make it a lot less rote.

#5 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12101 posts) -

A reason for me to play them. BOOM.

In all reality, it's the time-consuming nature of MMOs and the inherent grindiness that really turns me off from them. Yeah, a lot of the stuff in Star Wars the Old Republic looks interesting, but I'm also sure that in-between all the great story content is another 15 hours of farming junk.

#6 Edited by FFFFFFF (75 posts) -

MMOs don't feel like they have proper communities anymore. They all launch so big and then they start merging servers and moving people around. They instance so many things with people you will probably never see again. The 'matchmaking' effect is really ruining a lot of online games for me.

It's not just MMOs, but everything I play online lately. But with MMOs there is all of the weight that comes with that, that really drags it down. Fees, connectivity, maintenance, design choices that prolong everything to keep you paying for longer. It's easy to resent MMOs lately and I think it's because they just started to feel like every other game but with a lot more hassle.

The first M of the MMO feels really diminished.

I really don't think a currently infeasible gameplay hook makes any difference.

#7 Edited by BabyChooChoo (4795 posts) -

Good lord, where do I even began. For me, it's a myriad of things.

• Player choice is a big one. Let's be real, a lot of games market themselves as "build your character the way you want," but what they actually mean is "build the character the way you want until you realize 90% of the builds available to you are complete shit and you're forced to build your character in such a way that playing the game doesn't suck anymore."
  • Quests are still shitty. GW2 tried to change it up I guess, but taking away the dude who gives you the quest, but keeping the same shitty quests is not my idea of a good fucking time.
  • Anything other than fantasy. Holy-fucking-shit. Who's dick do I have to suck to get a modern day or sci-fi MMO up in this bitch? I could probably count all the non-shitty, non-fantasy MMOs on one hand.
  • Interesting combat. MMO combat has, in my opinion, barely evolved since ever. When people say "aw yeah, this new MMO has the best combat out of any mmo ever," I usually shake my head and shed a tear because "good MMO combat" doesn't mean a lot in my book. C'mon, how high is that bar...really? You have better combat than EQ? than WoW? Congratu-fucking-lations. You did the possible.
  • Outside of Eve Online, exploration is either non-existent or not-actually-exploration.
  • This is sort of a product of the combat, but, for all intents and purpose, most bosses in MMOs can be boiled down to "don't stand in the fire and dps on that guy."
  • Outside of FFXIV, Eve, the deceased SWG, and maybe a few other games, your entire fucking role in every MMO universe consists of nothing but killing things. Sure, the game may have crafting or whatever, but that crafting is usually a hobby and not an occupation if you catch my drift. I could conceivably play Eve for years and not fire a single weapon. I can choose to be a trader or something and be just as important as the next guy who spends his entire time blowing other players up.

I know I'm forgetting shit, but those were some of the first things to come to mind.

#8 Posted by Jimbo (9979 posts) -

Any redeeming features.

Would love to see more MMOs take EVE as their insipiration.

#9 Edited by EXTomar (4940 posts) -
@jimbo said:

Any redeeming features.

Would love to see more MMOs take EVE as their insipiration.

That would be a horrible idea. That isn't to say we couldn't use more games like EVE but the idea all new ones need be the time sink EVE is a very bad idea. If anything the reason why MMOs aren't as popular as MOBAs is it takes too long to do routine tasks and events.

Trade skill systems have traditionally been bound by balance concerns which stops them from being extensible. I would love if any game can solve this problem.

#10 Edited by Jimbo (9979 posts) -

@extomar: Yeah, not so much referring to the mechanics but rather the player-driven nature of it.

#11 Edited by stonepawfox (236 posts) -

personally, i think wow just demolished the chances of me every enjoying another mmorpg. it's like, i know EQ existed beforehand and some others, and that allowed for a huge player community and interaction unlike any games before, like it transformed the medium in a way almost. for me and probably a lot of other people, wow came at a time when those things were very niche and completely blew the genre up so prettymuch everyone who plays games knew about it. it was a novelty for me at the time and now every new mmo feels like going through the motions. my take on why i don't like mmos anymore.

#12 Edited by EXTomar (4940 posts) -

@jimbo: Oh yeah I can get behind that. The ideal has always been the "system staff" has minimal support in place to handle any technical stuff (refunds and restores for when the server goes down etc) but the rest is left free formed and for the players to decide. In such a game, the main trade city would spring up at a location because the players wanted it there instead of the developer building one there and so on.

WoW didn't demolish MMOs but you can't do the same "theme park MMO" again. This is the thing that killed SWTOR where they gleefully pointed out how boring WoW was and they didn't care about story but released a boring game with story that took too long to get through.

That also reminds me of another idea: More dynamic event generation. Instead of fighting the same target week after week after week, have the game server build custom events that depend on the team composition.

#13 Posted by Marokai (3138 posts) -

I think MMOs lost something around the point where the "Multiplayer" part became completely optional. I mean, sure, I enjoy playing solo a lot like any other guy, but when MMO's basically became "online single player game where you occasionally interact with other people" what distinguished an MMO from any other game completely disappeared.

Even setting aside the argument over what makes them better or worse from a qualitative perspective, I just feel like MMOs have more staying power in general when they're more multiplayer focused. WoW is the exception to the rule, and anyone who's tried to ape on WoW has basically crashed within a few months, because you can blitz through all the content yourself in most modern MMOs. You can't do that in EVE (you can barely do anything by yourself except NPC missions and mining.. slowly), you can't do that in FFXI, two games with really scarily dedicated followings. FFXI is like, a decade old, and just recently had an expansion for it.

It makes it difficult for the enthusiast press to cover MMOs, admittedly, when they're so slow and multiplayer focused so as to make a casual reading of the game nearly impossible, but if you're looking for the MMOs with staying power, it's not the Old Republics of the world. It's the EVEs and FFXIs.

#14 Edited by tourgen (4542 posts) -

the Massive part of the MMO. Too much instancing. It's worth it to let players butt heads occasionally to provide a more dynamic environment with higher stakes.

Right now MMOs feel sterile and safe. By trying to accommodate the lowest common denominator they've bled out everything interesting.

Of course the tank-heal-dmg combat dynamic is a dead end and broken-by-design. That combat dynamic is a tired old dog that wanted to crawl off and die 10 years ago.

#15 Edited by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

Satisfying combat, rewarding quests and meaningful social interactions. Also worlds that feel alive and worth exploring.

#16 Edited by jozzy (2035 posts) -

Biggest thing for me, but also almost impossible to do it right:

Players actually affecting the world in a meaningful way. Which means being able to actually build and destroy stuff, and having an effect on factions living in areas. Eve Online does it a bit, but it would be way more impressive on land instead of empty, similar looking space systems.

Some games that tried to do this:

• Ultima Online
  • Star Wars Galaxies
#17 Edited by TyCobb (1978 posts) -

The thrill of adventure and exploration. Unknown game mechanics that are all just theory to this day.

These threads always make me want to jump back into FFXI. Such a great game if you weren't turned off of it in the first 20 levels.

#18 Edited by BeachThunder (12390 posts) -

An absence of massively multiplayer content :P

#19 Posted by Brenderous (1103 posts) -

Engaging combat.

#20 Edited by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

Fun.

#21 Posted by Abendlaender (2887 posts) -

If I knew that I'd be off selling it to developers

#22 Posted by Fredchuckdave (6093 posts) -

Good competitive community I suppose. Three factions, continuous PvP, and the suffix "of Camelot" as well. There's also something to be said for having crazy mechanics that are hard to balance around without introducing even crazier mechanics (Warhammer Online did this for a time) instead of the extremely static "WoW" style gameplay.

#23 Posted by Mirado (1050 posts) -

Fun? But seriously:

1. Engaging, thought provoking combat. Slap Dark Souls style face offs in there and you got yourself a deal. It doesn't have to be overly complex; I think one of the biggest problems with MMO combat is the sheer amount of skills they give to each class. It becomes a game of remembering a pattern of key presses, and nothing more. Make positioning more important, make blocking an actual player mechanic instead of a % chance to reduce damage, and so on.
  2. Player impact on the world is usually non-existent. It's one of the things I felt TOR did right; while a thousand people may be doing the same things as you, your personal story always felt like it was driven by you and you alone. It's the same issue I've always had with raids and such; this monumental effort to kill a boss matters little when the boss just respawns for us to fight it again at a later date.
  3. Boring quests. At least TOR had some decent voice acting to try and spice things up, but the vast majority of the time it seems like pages of quest text that I could care less to read for objectives that exists solely to progress my character. They usually have uninteresting mechanics and uninteresting rewards.
  4. Little reason to interact with other people. Outside of getting together for a raid or something, there's no point to talk or collaborate with anyone. Even in battleground style PvP, I felt like I was one guy running around with a bunch of others, not on an actual team.

Now, I've played exactly one MMO (TOR) to the endgame, and a small amount of WoW back before the first expansion. Perhaps some MMOs have solved the above problems. If they have, they aren't known to me.

#24 Posted by Kidavenger (3625 posts) -

Persistent world, there have been games that did it; like SWG, but I think it should be a staple of the genre now and expanded upon.