• 135 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
#1 Posted by WolfHazard (461 posts) -

Refresh my memory as to what's even come out this year? 360/PS3/PC I mean, not so much Arcade/PSN stuff. Honestly, all I can think of that I even played this year were KoA (was that 2011? I don't even know o.O) Max Payne 3,The Witcher 2, Sleeping Dogs, Prototype 2, Darksiders 2, Borderlands 2 and Dishonored. I know AC3 and Halo 4 are going to be what finishes off my year as far as games coming out I'm interested in. Uhh.. RE6 was this year, but come on.. and XCOM? I haven't played it, but the reviews are good.

Was ME3 this year? Or 2011.

Seriously help me out :p

#2 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

ME3 was this year, so was Diablo 3. There are still a lot of big games coming out this year, such as Hitman Absolution, Halo 4, Assassins Creed 3, Need for Speed Most Wanted, and all of the Wii U stuff.

#3 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5806 posts) -

I guess I could just provide you with my list of favorite games so far: 
 
Dishonored 
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 
The Witcher 2 (360) 
Max Payne 3 
Dragon's Dogma 
Rhythm Heaven Fever 
Final Fantasy XIII-2 
 
I predict Hitman: Absolution will end up somewhere in the top 3. And I still need to get to Growlanser IV and Pokemon: Conquest.

Online
#4 Posted by awesomeusername (4153 posts) -
  • Journey came out this year and i hear people cried.
  • The Walking Dead.
  • Asura's Wrath was awesome!

You didn't say those!

#5 Edited by Downside (48 posts) -

Trials HD, Fez, Journey, Mark of the Ninja, and Dust, are all possible contenders from the downloadable realm which you seemed to completely omit. I haven't played Xcom, Sleeping Dogs, or any of the downloadable stuff I mentioned yet, but with that in mind I would rate my 4 favorite games of last year, Portal 2, Witcher 2, Skyrim, and Batman Arkham City all decidedly above every game I have played this year.

Games I have played so far: Dishonored, Xenoblade Chronicles(US localization), Tales of Graces F, Mass Effect 3, Darkness 2, Q.U.B.E., Kingdoms of Amalur, Max Payne 3, Syndicate, The Walking Dead episodes 1-4, Darksiders 2, Borderlands 2, Pokemon White 2, Yesterday, Counterstrike Go

I still intend to play Journey, Mark of the Ninja, Trials, and Fez, Xcom, and Sleeping Dogs.

With that said of all the games I mentioned playing this year if I were to rate them Giant Bomb style none of those games would score higher than a 4 out of 5. Dishonored and Walking Dead are my current favorites so far, but no game has blown me away this year.

Edit: I totally forgot about Torchlight 2 and Diablo 3. Haven't played either of those yet either.

#6 Posted by WolfHazard (461 posts) -

@awesomeusername said:

  • Journey came out this year and i hear people cried.
  • The Walking Dead.
  • Asura's Wrath was awesome!

You didn't say those!

Well I don't have a PS3, I said excluding arcade games and I think Asuras Wrath came out like December 2011, or at least that's when I heard websites reviewing/talking about it on Podcasts. Either way, I never played it

#7 Edited by DizzyMedal (398 posts) -

Yes, KoA was this year. Witcher 2 was last year.

Journey was pretty good, Asura's Wrath (though that DLC thing was a bit steep), Trine 2 (I can't remember if it made the 'cut off', so maybe), Fez, Mark of the Ninja, P4:A, Trials Evolution was fun.

ETA: Torchlight II

#8 Posted by awesomeusername (4153 posts) -

@WolfHazard: You said "not so much Arcade/PSN stuff." which sounds like not much of those games. But okay. Asura came out in February.

#9 Posted by RetroVirus (1456 posts) -

Walking Dead, Journey, XCOM, Dishonored, Diablo III, Mark of the Ninja, Borderlands 2, Fez. Mass Effect 3? XCOM is my front-runner so far.

#10 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7048 posts) -

Journey, The Walking Dead, Max Payne 3, Mark of the Ninja, Trials, Dust, XCOM, Dishonored, The Witcher 2 on 360 are the biggest and best games I've played this year. From what I've seen of it I'm betting AC3 will be up there too.

#11 Posted by WolfHazard (461 posts) -

@DizzyMedal said:

Yes, KoA was this year. Witcher 2 was last year.

Journey was pretty good, Asura's Wrath (though that DLC thing was a bit steep), Trine 2 (I can't remember if it made the 'cut off', so maybe), Fez, Mark of the Ninja, P4:A, Trials Evolution was fun.

No Witcher was defiantly this year, I know because I had it preordered for my Brother's birthday in May. Trials is for sure my up there in my Arcade GOTY, but Minecraft still has my number one spot.

#12 Posted by BeachThunder (11689 posts) -

XCOM is frontrunner for me at the moment; also, Walking Dead's pretty good so far.

#13 Posted by WolfHazard (461 posts) -

@awesomeusername said:

@WolfHazard: You said "not so much Arcade/PSN stuff." which sounds like not much of those games. But okay. Asura came out in February.

Yeah, I said no arcade stuff was in my list, and The Walking Dead is an arcade game, and I'll take your word on Asuras, but man that seems like FOREVER ago aha.

#14 Posted by DizzyMedal (398 posts) -

@WolfHazard: @WolfHazard said:

@DizzyMedal said:

Yes, KoA was this year. Witcher 2 was last year.

Journey was pretty good, Asura's Wrath (though that DLC thing was a bit steep), Trine 2 (I can't remember if it made the 'cut off', so maybe), Fez, Mark of the Ninja, P4:A, Trials Evolution was fun.

No Witcher was defiantly this year, I know because I had it preordered for my Brother's birthday in May. Trials is for sure my up there in my Arcade GOTY, but Minecraft still has my number one spot.

Oh, you meant the 360 Witcher 2. My mistake.

#15 Posted by Downside (48 posts) -

@WolfHazard: No Witcher 2 was last year. It came out on 360 this year, but the core game came out on PC last year. The 360 version introduced some additional content that was free to PC users. I don't think you can call Wither 2 a 2012 release when the core game was released in all territories on a major platform in mid 2011.

#16 Posted by WolfHazard (461 posts) -

@DizzyMedal said:

@WolfHazard: @WolfHazard said:

@DizzyMedal said:

Yes, KoA was this year. Witcher 2 was last year.

Journey was pretty good, Asura's Wrath (though that DLC thing was a bit steep), Trine 2 (I can't remember if it made the 'cut off', so maybe), Fez, Mark of the Ninja, P4:A, Trials Evolution was fun.

No Witcher was defiantly this year, I know because I had it preordered for my Brother's birthday in May. Trials is for sure my up there in my Arcade GOTY, but Minecraft still has my number one spot.

Oh, you meant the 360 Witcher 2. My mistake.

My mistake, I didn't know the PC version came out a whole year before the 360 version, I figured it was like a 6 month thing ahah

#17 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2300 posts) -

You've really been out of the gaming loop haven't you?

#18 Posted by wjb (1636 posts) -

google.com

search "video games of 2012"

You're welcome.

#19 Posted by WolfHazard (461 posts) -

@Turtlebird95 said:

You've really been out of the gaming loop haven't you?

Yes Sir, I had moved early on in the year into an apartment with my girlfriend, and we didn't have internet (or money) for 6 months, so I pretty much only played Skyrim and Minecraft >_>

#20 Posted by BoG (5181 posts) -

It's either XCOM or, *gasp* Mass Effect 3. As much as I hate ME3, I love it. It's the new Final Fantasy VIII in my life.

#21 Posted by Atlas (2430 posts) -

Crusader Kings II, you guys.

#22 Posted by WolfHazard (461 posts) -

@BoG said:

It's either XCOM or, *gasp* Mass Effect 3. As much as I hate ME3, I love it. It's the new Final Fantasy VIII in my life.

interesting, I heard some bad things about 3 from some friends who are major ME2 junkies

#23 Posted by DizzyMedal (398 posts) -

@BoG said:

It's either XCOM or, *gasp* Mass Effect 3. As much as I hate ME3, I love it. It's the new Final Fantasy VIII in my life.

Hey, woah! Now, yes, there was some issues with ME3, but let's not get downright cruel. :P

#24 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2300 posts) -
@WolfHazard said:

@Turtlebird95 said:

You've really been out of the gaming loop haven't you?

Yes Sir, I had moved early on in the year into an apartment with my girlfriend, and we didn't have internet (or money) for 6 months, so I pretty much only played Skyrim and Minecraft >_>

Ah, I see. Half Life 2 Episode 3 and Duke Nukem Forever 8 came out while you were offline.
#25 Edited by SJSchmidt93 (4884 posts) -

Of the games I've beat (not many), it's probably Spelunky. Right now I'm playing Borderlands 2, XCOM, and Journey. Still have not got to Sound Shapes, Dust, Dyad, Mark of the Ninja, Dishonored and The Walking Dead. Plus NFS:MW is yet to come.

#26 Posted by Kidavenger (3507 posts) -
#27 Posted by awesomeusername (4153 posts) -

@WolfHazard said:

@awesomeusername said:

@WolfHazard: You said "not so much Arcade/PSN stuff." which sounds like not much of those games. But okay. Asura came out in February.

Yeah, I said no arcade stuff was in my list, and The Walking Dead is an arcade game, and I'll take your word on Asuras, but man that seems like FOREVER ago aha.

I know. I'm saying I thought you meant there were not much arcade stuff. But yeah, Asura's was awesome. I just hate how Capcom blocked some story episodes by making them into DLC. Fuck those guys.

#28 Posted by WolfHazard (461 posts) -

@awesomeusername said:

@WolfHazard said:

@awesomeusername said:

@WolfHazard: You said "not so much Arcade/PSN stuff." which sounds like not much of those games. But okay. Asura came out in February.

Yeah, I said no arcade stuff was in my list, and The Walking Dead is an arcade game, and I'll take your word on Asuras, but man that seems like FOREVER ago aha.

I know. I'm saying I thought you meant there were not much arcade stuff. But yeah, Asura's was awesome. I just hate how Capcom blocked some story episodes by making them into DLC. Fuck those guys.

Oh I see, didn't know my wording tripped you up, but yeah I said excluding arcade stuff because I caught up on that, I just don't remember much retail from before like June-August lol

#29 Posted by awesomeusername (4153 posts) -

@WolfHazard: Seem's everyone read it the way I did too since everyone is including DLG's in their lists. But oh well. DLG games are too powerful!

#30 Edited by supamon (1333 posts) -

FEZ, Borderlands 2, The Walking Dead, Guild Wars 2 and XCOM are my current contenders for their respective genres. Hopefully Halo 4 and Assassin's Creed 3 will be good and join that list.

#31 Posted by WolfHazard (461 posts) -

@awesomeusername said:

@WolfHazard: Seem's everyone read it the way I did too since everyone is including DLG's in their lists. But oh well. DLG games are too powerful!

Eh, I didn't expect anyone to actually listen, it is a message board after all, I only responded to you because I wanted to clear up I did not ignore The Walking Dead, i really love that game.

#32 Posted by Akeldama (4238 posts) -

@wjb said:

google.com

search "video games of 2012"

You're welcome.

Just because you like Sherlock; a smug asshole, doesn't mean you have to be one.

Also, Dark Souls's DLC.

#33 Edited by awesomeusername (4153 posts) -

@WolfHazard said:

@awesomeusername said:

@WolfHazard: Seem's everyone read it the way I did too since everyone is including DLG's in their lists. But oh well. DLG games are too powerful!

Eh, I didn't expect anyone to actually listen, it is a message board after all, I only responded to you because I wanted to clear up I did not ignore The Walking Dead, i really love that game.

True that. Well, let's hope some other DLG's give TWD a run for it's greatness. The Unfinished Swan came out today on PS3, it looks great and I bought it. I just have so many games to play right now, I'm at 20 games currently playing(waiting to play). I need to play Journey also. Mark of the Ninja was really good, according to journalists. Quantum Conundrum and Papo & Yo look great too. I hear Hell Yeah! is crazy. So many downloadable games, holy shit. I didn't notice that until now! Guess I'll need more money in my PSN wallet! D:

I actually just bought Quantum and Papo & Yo today also. Need to get the Journey Collectors Edition and maybe force my friend to buy Hell Yeah!

#34 Posted by Nodima (1094 posts) -

I can't justify the prices of games these days (really anything that costs more than $10) so I haven't gotten to mess with a lot of stuff other than what PS+ puts out for free. As far as what's on my PS3 that I'm confident is from this year...

1. The Walking Dead

2. NBA 2K13

3. Journey

(4. Just Cause 2 for free on PS+)

5. Mess Effect 3...I guess. But I didn't even enjoy much of the 30 hours before the ending...oddly, the improved combat was the only reason I felt like trudging through that game, along with the hope at some point the story would pick up. Mess Effect was a typo but I'm going to keep it. I wish I could have played more games from this year so it didn't make my Top 5...it's technically competent enough to be enjoyed but logically and emotionally felt pretty vacant. Oh well, video games.

#35 Posted by WolfHazard (461 posts) -

@awesomeusername said:

@WolfHazard said:

@awesomeusername said:

@WolfHazard: Seem's everyone read it the way I did too since everyone is including DLG's in their lists. But oh well. DLG games are too powerful!

Eh, I didn't expect anyone to actually listen, it is a message board after all, I only responded to you because I wanted to clear up I did not ignore The Walking Dead, i really love that game.

True that. Well, let's hope some other DLG's give TWD a run for it's greatness. The Unfinished Swan came out today on PS3, it looks great and I bought it. I just have so many games to play right now, I'm at 20 games currently playing(waiing to play). I need to play Journey also. Mark of the Ninja was really good, according to journalists. Quantum Conundrum and Papo & Yo look great too. I hear Hell Yeah! is crazy. So many downloadable games, holy shit. I didn't notice that until now! Guess I'll need more money in my PSN wallet! D:

I have only played Hell Yeah on the 360 and it was fantastic, and I'm sure that goes for the PS3 version, same goes for Mark Of The Ninja, and If you have a 360 I'd suggest Dust, if you're into side scrolling RPGs and overall fantastic games. My backlog is building up too, I still need to beat Bastion and Darksiders 2. Yeah.. still haven't gotten through Bastion. Go on, laugh!

#36 Posted by Hells (68 posts) -

Based off the recent Bombcasts, XCOM wins Giant Bomb's GOTY. Everyone is really gushing over that and Dishonored. I see alot of people picking their GOTYs from these games: New Super Mario Bros WiiU (hahaha yeah right), Halo 4, Ass Creed 3, Black Ops 2, Dishonored, and XCOM

My games of the year:

Borderlands 2, Dishonored, and Torchlight 2. XCOM would be here but I have yet to buy/play it (too many games so little time)

#37 Posted by LiquidPrince (15841 posts) -

Resident Evil 6. Bam?

#38 Posted by awesomeusername (4153 posts) -

@WolfHazard said:

@awesomeusername said:

@WolfHazard said:

@awesomeusername said:

@WolfHazard: Seem's everyone read it the way I did too since everyone is including DLG's in their lists. But oh well. DLG games are too powerful!

Eh, I didn't expect anyone to actually listen, it is a message board after all, I only responded to you because I wanted to clear up I did not ignore The Walking Dead, i really love that game.

True that. Well, let's hope some other DLG's give TWD a run for it's greatness. The Unfinished Swan came out today on PS3, it looks great and I bought it. I just have so many games to play right now, I'm at 20 games currently playing(waiing to play). I need to play Journey also. Mark of the Ninja was really good, according to journalists. Quantum Conundrum and Papo & Yo look great too. I hear Hell Yeah! is crazy. So many downloadable games, holy shit. I didn't notice that until now! Guess I'll need more money in my PSN wallet! D:

I have only played Hell Yeah on the 360 and it was fantastic, and I'm sure that goes for the PS3 version, same goes for Mark Of The Ninja, and If you have a 360 I'd suggest Dust, if you're into side scrolling RPGs and overall fantastic games. My backlog is building up too, I still need to beat Bastion and Darksiders 2. Yeah.. still haven't gotten through Bastion. Go on, laugh!

I actually don't have a 360 so I'll be missing out on Bastion, Dust and Mark of the Ninja. Unless they cross over to PSN like Limbo and Braid did. Then that'll be awesome. My friend wants Hell Yeah! so I'm going to wait for him to buy it since I'm cheap. :3 I still need to buy 26 more games and I'm currently playing 20, which are games I bought yesterday & today and free games from PlayStation Plus. These are the games I'm currently playing, aside from Borderlands. I already beat it but I'm going for the platinum trophy.

#39 Posted by awesomeusername (4153 posts) -

@LiquidPrince said:

Resident Evil 6. Bam?

RUN! RUN BEFORE YOU'RE EATEN ALIVE!!!

#40 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7048 posts) -

Oh yeah duh I forgot Borderlands 2.

#41 Posted by wjb (1636 posts) -

@Akeldama said:

@wjb said:

google.com

search "video games of 2012"

You're welcome.

Just because you like Sherlock; a smug asshole, doesn't mean you have to be one.

Also, Dark Souls's DLC.

The OP clearly had a difficult time figuring which games came out this year. I was simply expediting the process. Being mean wasn't necessarily my intention, but it's crazy how much time people spend on the Internet and not realize it contains a wealth of information at their fingertips.

#42 Posted by WolfHazard (461 posts) -

@MariachiMacabre said:

Oh yeah duh I forgot Borderlands 2.

Never forget Borderlands 2...

#43 Posted by WolfHazard (461 posts) -

@wjb said:

@Akeldama said:

@wjb said:

google.com

search "video games of 2012"

You're welcome.

Just because you like Sherlock; a smug asshole, doesn't mean you have to be one.

Also, Dark Souls's DLC.

The OP clearly had a difficult time figuring which games came out this year. I was simply expediting the process. Being mean wasn't necessarily my intention, but it's crazy how much time people spend on the Internet and not realize it contains a wealth of information at their fingertips.

Are you implying that I don't know how google or the internet works? Or are you implying looking at a wikipedia article is more entertaining than talking in a fourm with other humans about the games that came out this year?

#44 Posted by Akeldama (4238 posts) -

@WolfHazard said:

@wjb said:

@Akeldama said:

@wjb said:

google.com

search "video games of 2012"

You're welcome.

Just because you like Sherlock; a smug asshole, doesn't mean you have to be one.

Also, Dark Souls's DLC.

The OP clearly had a difficult time figuring which games came out this year. I was simply expediting the process. Being mean wasn't necessarily my intention, but it's crazy how much time people spend on the Internet and not realize it contains a wealth of information at their fingertips.

Are you implying that I don't know how google or the internet works? Or are you implying looking at a wikipedia article is more entertaining than talking in a fourm with other humans about the games that came out this year?

The whole point was to stimulate a conversation. You know. A forum. You emulate Sherlock's smartass quips well enough, one would expect you to make glean some powers of deduction while you were at it.

#45 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

XCOM, Walking Dead, FTL, Mass Effect 3, and Borderlands 2 are my current front runners

#46 Edited by wjb (1636 posts) -

@WolfHazard: I dunno, Wikipedia entries can be mad entertaining, imo. You get lost for hours. You go in to learn more about skateboarding, and then hours later it's China's open-door policy in 1979. You don't know how you got there, but it's awesome (it's kind of awesome).

@Akeldama: Do you want to talk about Sherlock or something?

#47 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4330 posts) -

I really hope Jeff gets to playing The Walking Dead otherwise it's going to get most of the support for it sucked away with his indifferent shrugs toward it because he still hasn't played it.

#48 Posted by WolfHazard (461 posts) -

@Colourful_Hippie said:

I really hope Jeff gets to playing The Walking Dead otherwise it's going to get most of the support for it sucked away with his indifferent shrugs toward it because he still hasn't played it.

That would be beyond frustrating, damn you Jeff!!

#49 Posted by Roger778 (953 posts) -

So, far Mass Effect 3 is my favorite game of the year. I've got my Pre-order for Assassins Creed 3 locked in, and I also want to play Dishonored.

#50 Posted by Brendan (7686 posts) -

I loved Mass Effect 3, and have played a boatload of games from earlier years since then.

And Max Payne 3, but it was just ok (on the 360).