#1 Posted by FinalDasa (1514 posts) -

Not long ago I read a Halo book or two and enjoyed my time getting back-story and a more in-depth time with a story behind faceless man inside cybernetic war suit.

I enjoy deep stories like the Elder Scrolls and even started dabbling into the Witcher. So what books/novels, within any game fiction, would you recommend as good reads?

This doesn't necessarily have to be limited to games I've played/mentioned, I'm open to new stories.

Moderator Online
#2 Posted by zombiesatemycereal (426 posts) -

The first three Mass Effect books are fantastic.

#3 Edited by ThePencil (390 posts) -

@zombiesatemycereal said:

This. So very much this. (Though I would advise against Deception which is the fourth book)

If'n ye are a fan of the Dragon Age games I highly recommend Stolen Throne and the Calling before playing Origins, and reading Asunder after playing DA2. Theres also two Dragon Age comics (set after DA2) called The Silent Grove and Those Who Speak, which are also pretty damn awesome imo.

#4 Edited by nintendork666 (203 posts) -

Not fiction but...

The Ultimate History of Video Games is a great retrospective of everything up until the Dreamcast. One of the best books I've read. The author, Steven Kent, is prominent in most video game documentaries as well - he's a trustworthy source.

#5 Posted by Capum15 (4823 posts) -

The rest of the Halo books you didn't read. Haven't really read any other video game books, myself.

#6 Posted by aurahack (2265 posts) -

Mass Effect books. Ascension and Revelation are legit good reads.

#7 Posted by Gamer_152 (14058 posts) -

I quite like the Halo books, so you might want to look at digging into the others. If nothing else I say make sure you've read Fall of Reach. I have heard pretty good things about at least one of the Gears books as well.

#8 Posted by kgb0515 (411 posts) -

The first two Doom books were really good. Helped fill in some of the non-story from the games. I also enjoyed all of the Halo books, but the second one that just retold the events of Halo: Combat Evolved wasn't as good. Eric Nylund does a better job of creating characters and with description.

#9 Posted by Sploder (917 posts) -

Karen Traviss did amazing work with Gears of War. Those are some really good books.

#10 Posted by SeanFoster (858 posts) -

I really enjoyed The Dragon Age novel The Stolen Throne by David Gaider.

#11 Posted by rentfn (1278 posts) -

I thought the past few warcraft books have been good. But I've been really into wow for awhile. That might play a factor.

#12 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1483 posts) -

@zombiesatemycereal said:

I also agree with this. They're also pretty quick, it's entirely possible to polish one off front to back in one sitting, which is how I read them.

#13 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Even though it's not based on a specific video game universe, Ready Player One is an awesome book that revolves around video games and virtual reality.

#14 Posted by FinalDasa (1514 posts) -

@zombiesatemycereal: I don't know why but this surprised me, I even remember hearing about how good they were. I'll definitely check them out.

@Gamer_152: I got through Fall of Reach (which was fantastic) and the next novel which was basically the original Halo and wasn't as interesting so I stopped there.

Thanks for all these suggestions, I will be at least looking into all these options :D

Moderator Online
#15 Posted by kbondelli (14 posts) -

This may be a little old school, but the Myst novels were pretty good.

#16 Posted by Poost (71 posts) -

I quite enjoyed the Myst Reader. It contains three separate novels about the Myst universe. Its a pretty easy read, but gives a ton of interesting information about the D'ni and their civilization.

#17 Posted by AlexW00d (6198 posts) -

Metro 2033 the book is really good, and whilst it technically doesn't fit your criteria, WHATEVER READ IT ANYWAY.