What are some great mecha/robot games?

RainVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By RainVillain

I went to see Pacific Rim last night and while I didn't love every minute of it, it really inspired me to play more games with big robots, ideally fighting against supernatural forces, though robot on robot violence is okay too.

Hawken looks the be-all end all beast, but I have a dreadful little laptop that can't run most games, so I'm mostly looking at console and handheld games. I have a PS3, Wii U, 3DS & Vita.

So far, the only games I have in mind are:

The Front Mission series. Certainly the old DS, PS1 and PS2 games. (Evolved looked like poo last time I checked but I might give it a second chance now..)

Armored Core -- I only played a brief amount of For Answer and was overwhelmed and disliked it. I would definitely give it another chance though. Also, I think there's been a more recent AC game since For Answer. [Edit: ok, yeah, Armored Core V came out and it looks pretty good!]

MS Gundam Extreme VS -- a Japan-only fighting game that looks really good! I prefer a game with some RPG mechanics and storytelling, over a deathmatch-athon, but I've heard good things about this game..

R.A.D Robot Alchemic Drive -- this crazy PS2 game that I used to love back in the day. I wonder if it holds up..

Zone of the Enders -- as a big MGS fan, I've oddly enough never played these games. Something about the level design felt too compartmentalized and rigid, but I could be mis-remembering the demo I played back in the day..

Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 3 -- I've always found the DW series very repetitive so I'm hesitant to play this game. I worry that the slow, crawling feel of a massive mech gets lost in a hack in slash.. [Edit: ok I watched bits of the Quick Look for this and I think this looks really cool actually!]

That's about all I can think of. Any other suggestions?

StrawHat_NPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Earth defense force

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

MS Story. If you're into RPGs.

RainVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beefygrandmole: good call! EDF 2025 isn't out til 2014 so I guess I could get the Vita version.

RainVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldenglishc: hey! unfortunately I can't find any info on that game? What's the full title? :)

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

The first Lost Planet has you piloting a bunch of mechs against giant monsters.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rainvillain: Here's a link to the wiki. It's MS Saga not MS Story. (It's early here, cut me some slack.)

I wouldn't call it an all time classic, but it's definitely a game that flew under the radar and deserves a play.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Corvak

If you're PC savvy, going to suggest tracking down a copy of Mechwarrior 4.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I had the exact same response, There is a licensed Pacific Rim fighting game that doesn't look terrible. Otherwise you've already got the heavy hitters. Front Mission Evolved is alright unless you get an Armored Core game, if you're looking for properly giant robots then you'll want For Answer. As far as I have discovered there isn't a game that will properly satisfy the itch. I'm seriously thinking about getting that Pacific Rim game just to get it out of my system.

I'll probably end up just watching Evangelion again though.

SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By SpaceRunaway

Most of these recommendations are for PS2. I don't know what that says about the state of robot games.

Robot Alchemic Drive definitely nails the large, hulking mech feel. Sandlot's prior game, Remote Control Dandy, for the original Playstation, is also pretty awesome and in-depth. I don't know if that came out in the US. The EDF games are awesome (at least the first two, which were the Sandlot developed games), but you'll be fighting the giant, lumbering mechs, you don't get to control them.

MS Gundam: Federation vs Zeon, the first game in the Gundam Vs Gundam series and still the best one, got an English release and shouldn't be too hard to find.

As long as we're talking imports, any games in the A.C.E. series should fulfill that itch. They also should be relatively cheap and easy to come by.

I'd recommend ZOE 2 over anything else, even if you haven't played 1 (or even if you've played 1...)

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By veektarius

... Xenosagagears?

ddensel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Mech Assault is one of my favorites, I don't know why MS doesn't do a 360 version.

DougCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

i really liked Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3. totally recommend if the DW style of game doesn't turn you off immediately.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#15  Edited By Yummylee

I would strongly advise you not to try out Gundam 3. Even by DW standards it got to be incredibly repetitive, and the environments are extremely constricted. Plus the story is a bunch of completely nonsensical anime bullshit.

Avatar image for creepyunclebrad
CreepyUncleBrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Too bad party chat ruined Chromehounds (also I think they may have shut the servers down on that game) but if you have a time machine go back and play that.

Avatar image for randomcharachter
randomcharachter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cyberbots.I know its old but you must try on a emulator its great.

jewunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@randomcharachter: It's also on PSN. I agree with your sentiment. It is quite a fun game.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

starhawk.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Spoonman671

Front Mission 3 is available on PSN and is shockingly playable from a modern perspective. It's a very slow start, but the awful dialogue should be hilarious enough to carry you through the first few hours.

EDIT: Although it's not really a mech game, Killzone 3 multiplayer has mechs on certain maps. Also, jetpacks.

doe3879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zone of the Enders, best mech game there is.

And if can dig into Japanese menu and into turn base strategy; super robot war is fucking awesome. And you'll see where all the robots and monster Pacific Rim is drawing inspiration from.

I nearly had a childhood organism when I see rocket punch in a big screen.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By penguindust

What about MechWarrior Online? It looks pretty good. It's still be beta, but it seems to be one of those "forever in beta" betas. There are lots of cool gameplay vids on YouTube.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

What about MechWarrior Online? It looks pretty good. It's still be beta, but it seems to be one of those "forever in beta" betas. There are lots of cool gameplay vids on YouTube.

I have been playing a fair amount of MWO lately, and getting used to the controls takes a bit of time, but it is free and there are trial mechs you can give a go without paying anything. Beware the long range missiles though

Eoeey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoy Robotech Battlecry, sadly I lost my copy.

stubbleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well you've already got R.A.D. on there, so I don't know what you expect us to do that you haven't already done for yourself.

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@rainvillain: Mech Commander 2 is *excellent*. One of my favorites.

gokaired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i count Transformers: Fall of Cybertron it's pretty cool.

Rotnac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is more of a small robot game but I remember having a fun time with Metal Arms.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Steambot Chronicles

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like Ring of Red. It's a pretty solid SRPG, with a rather unique combat system. Most of all I love the WWII aesthetic of the mechs, they are brilliantly clancky and they look, for want of a better word, "authentic" to the time period.

Slay3r1583

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you're into turn based strategy stuff like X-Com or Fire Emblem there were a couple good Super Robot Wars games released in English on the GBA.