• 97 results
#51 Edited by RiddleBrother (511 posts) -

Toast, Crackers, or Limp Biscuit. You get good at them, and they all can be finished in under 10 seconds. Also, they all have really robust multiplayer modes (although you could play it single player, I guess), so there's a high re-playability value. The controls are pretty waggle heavy, so if you're not a Wii guy, then it might not be for you. But if you're a fan of shooting stuff and you either really hate or really love baked goods, check these out.

Oh, and portal.

#52 Posted by thebipsnbeeps (550 posts) -

Well of course Portal and Braid, but I'd also throw in Viewtiful Joe, Katamari Damacy, Earthworm Jim (in their original version, though), and Contra 4, and LocoRoco (though you'd see everything if you rent it). Those are some of my favorites. Also, even though I haven't played this game yet, Half-Minute Hero would seem like it's a fairly short game, and that's a game I've been wanting to try out for a while. Such a cool idea.

#53 Edited by luce (4045 posts) -

Contra 4 on the DS

First time through on normal took me about 45 minutes

#54 Edited by inkeiren (989 posts) -
@cdstacker said:

" gravitybone, less than half an hour to beat and free. "

I Loved  that game. I only wish it was longer. Then again, it's charm would have worn out with time, and charm was its primary offering.
#55 Posted by Yummylee (21652 posts) -

Uncharted Drakes Fortune is one of the highlights that go below the 10 hour mark.

#56 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6197 posts) -

Both Max Payne games.

#57 Posted by thecleric (793 posts) -

Ratchet & Clank, any

#58 Posted by IzzyGraze (850 posts) -
#59 Posted by AuthenticM (3732 posts) -

Max Payne 1 and 2.

#60 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

Man, I think I have to have another playthrough of that game. What a great ride it was.
#61 Posted by shuyin_meteor (5 posts) -

I liked Final Fantasy: Dirge of Cerberus.

Although, it was extremely short, I enjoyed it immensely. 

Same goes for Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3. They were both beaten in just under 6 hours, on my first go, and that was with me looking for the extra things.

#62 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

There's a lot of old point & click adventure games like Monkey Island that I'd highly recommend.  Of course, they could end up lasting you a lot longer.

#63 Posted by Burntlettuce (100 posts) -

Infamous and Brutal Legends are the first that come to my mind.

#64 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

god of war collection it's for ps3. they upgraded the graphics a bit.

#65 Posted by deadFM (98 posts) -

Portal, Super Paper Mario.

#66 Posted by passedit (1 posts) -

Shadow Complex, Dead Space (it might take 10-12 hours if you go slowly; took me 8 hours), what the above dudes said.

10-12 hours?! Either that is a 'replay time' with the military suite you can get after the first completion, or you absolutely sped through it on Easy difficulty. I think most people use Medium, at least PC users over a certain age anyway.

I found Dead Space to be one of the longer games out there in recent times (though I agree many are getting shorter). By other accounts of playing it I've found, on 'Easy' it is 12 hours long *at very least* - around 24 or more on 'Medium', and 'Hard' is very hard indeed! (I always try hard, but gave up quite quickly and went for Medium). I clocked over 30 on medium, but I do have to get off it for periods, so it's hard to wrok out exactly what I spent.

I was looking for a short FPS-style game, and in the end I went for Dead Space based on this and a similar comment over on Steam - I'm posting this other's don't fall into the same trap! It's got 12 decently long levels, it has significant backtracking to develop a Deus-ex RPG style 'rig' where you figure-fiddle - buy/sell parts, store weapons etc. It is in no way a short game. OK, the Shop/Bench part is not Diablo, bit it all takes times quite a lot of time on top of the standard game time. It's easy to make mistakes at a few points and have to re-load or backtrack and adjust the guns/rig. I was surprised how long the whole game was (it's even got a game within a game, that gets you valuable credits) - but constantly frustrated with it too as I needed a short one! The final hurdle is real bad ass too, and like other parts of the game as a cut scene you cannot avoid each time you try it. You have to buy/sell, work out how to do it. I just not a 'short' game.

.Seriously, some people need to embark on 'shorter games' for a good reason, but that doesn't mean we want to play it on easy, or ever play want to run through it again for that matter. Replays have never interested me that much.

#67 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5481 posts) -

Super 1 post necro Metroid

#68 Posted by L33T_HAXOR (286 posts) -

You could play "Passage". That game is about five minutes long.

#69 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

To the Moon? How 'bout that shit?

#70 Posted by ThunderSlash (1726 posts) -

@passedit: I don't know how you managed to clock in over 20 hours for Dead Space, but it took an hour per chapter for me, so about 12 hours total. I just checked if I'm in the minority, but even the general consensus on How Long to Beat says its around 12 hours long. You are definitely the odd one out in this case.

Going with this 4 year old thread title, may I recommend GOD HAND?

#71 Posted by VierasTalo (780 posts) -

Since it's been four years since most of the topic took place, I'll recommend something that came after: Call of Juarez: Gunslinger is just the greatest.

#72 Edited by Zalrus9 (110 posts) -

Papers, Please! Is pretty good. Also Ironclad Tactics. I loved that game! Let's also not forget Thomas was Alone, Bastion, Dust: an Elysian Tale, and The Banner Saga!

#73 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3327 posts) -

10 hours seems really long to say Short Games, considering how many are in the 1-5 hour range these days.

Anyways...

Do you like games that can be played in short bursts but are longer? Like someone said up there Wipeout is amazing for that. A race is only 10 mins but it'll take you ages to beat the game entirely.

Or do you prefer narrative games that are shorter?

If so, try Spec Ops: The Line, any Resident Evil, any Metal Gear Solid, Uncharted series, Guacamelee!... there's so many...

@sofakng - any genres you are into or do you have a few franchises in mind you were thinking of?

#74 Edited by PSNgamesun (408 posts) -

God Of War 1-3, fantastic presentation, story, and gameplay.

#75 Posted by Altered_Confusion (197 posts) -

Gone Home (PC), it doesn't take long at all, but still a great experience.

#76 Posted by Nightriff (5084 posts) -

ASURA'S WRATH! One of the best 8 hour experiences you'll ever have.

#77 Posted by Pushtoclose (30 posts) -

chronicles of riddick escape from butcher bay, I pretty much play that game once a year for fun

#78 Posted by Roger778 (957 posts) -

Before I became a full on X-Box gamer, I used to own a lot of PC games. One game I love is Star Wars: Republic Commando. It's probably the shortest action game I've ever played, due to 3 story-driven levels, that take a fair amount of time to complete, but they aren't very long either. The pacing on each levels is perfect, and the voice acting's great.

Another short game I really like is Mirror's Edge. It takes at least 5-6 hours to play.

#79 Posted by Splodge (1608 posts) -

Journey. It takes about 5 hours-ish. I had a shitty few days the other week so I sat down and played through it again. That game is beautiful.

#80 Posted by BeachThunder (11941 posts) -

10 hours seems really long to say Short Games, considering how many are in the 1-5 hour range these days.

Yep, times have changed since this thread started; 10 hours definitely isn't something I'd call short now...

#81 Posted by LackingSaint (1815 posts) -

They really just need to write a script so that users with 0 posts can't post in threads that haven't had a reply in over 2 years.

#82 Posted by GnomishPlayer (15 posts) -

Apart from the games already mentioned, Metro 2033 and Metro: Last Light can both be completed in around 10h.

#83 Posted by hermes (1487 posts) -

Spec Ops: The Line is pretty short...

#84 Posted by Rebel_Scum (712 posts) -

Shadow Complex. If you like Metroidvania's...

#85 Edited by andthentrumpets (11 posts) -

Bastion / Braid / Super Meat Boy

#86 Posted by SunBroZak (1116 posts) -

Home is a really neat horror game that you can finish in about 40 minutes. I'd recommend that.

#87 Edited by ArbitraryWater (11739 posts) -

Ha, man. Remember when 10 hour games were considered short? The times certainly have changed.

I will maintain that Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon lasts exactly as long as it needs to, which is to say around the 6 hour range if you do everything.

#88 Posted by hollitz (1520 posts) -

Rez, though it doesn't really come into its own until the final level (maybe 2 hours in). The final boss encounter is incredible.

Portal.

Year Walk.

#89 Posted by Rejizzle (308 posts) -

Super Metroid is really good. I'ld probably go with that.

#90 Posted by jamesyfx (69 posts) -

I've always remembered Metroid Fusion fondly. A lot of people didn't enjoy it because of it's linearity but I really enjoyed it.

#91 Posted by spraynardtatum (2953 posts) -

That new Strider game is pretty fantastic.

#92 Posted by wolfskind (58 posts) -

The Walking Dead - Season 1 is rather short, you could beat all five episodes in just under 10 hours.

#93 Posted by ttocs (763 posts) -

Brothers is a great short game - amazing story and really nice art design!

#94 Posted by futurstock (140 posts) -
#96 Posted by Dave358 (1 posts) -

"Glow Ball" - The billiard puzzle game.

Really fun, but hard game with awesome soundtrack.

#97 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5511 posts) -

Pokemon Snap is perhaps the greatest short in my humble opinion.

#98 Edited by cassus (376 posts) -

Probably mentioned by many, but if you're into it, games like Journey/Flower/Proteus and so on are wonderful. EVERYONE should play journey, it is just the pinnacle of games as art right now as I see it. It'll be as beautiful in 20 years as it is today.

#99 Posted by RedRavN (400 posts) -

The syndicate reboot is pretty cool. It would probably last someone 6-10 hours depending on how fast they are or if they died a lot. Its a good well paced fps.

Also, if you like rpgs then bastion might be worth a shot. The game length is probably 8-15 hours.

#100 Posted by Bigandtasty (3203 posts) -

@passedit: Ignoring the fact that you replied to a post I made over four years ago, I do not understand why you are confused.

My first run was eight hours on medium. I didn't really skip anything; did all of the mini-games and so on. I have a tendency to play through games more quickly, but I don't know who told you 30 hours was average.