#1 Edited by chrissedoff (2116 posts) -

i like the endurance run. i think it is funny as shit. but now i've seen it. i'd like to see a let's play series that is at least approaching that level of quality. how about the giantbomb community recommends some? meaning, what are some let's plays that

  • are about a game that is compelling in some way, whether that's because it has good characters and setting, or is just so jacked-up and weird that it becomes fascinating.
  • has decent audio quality on the voiceover, since no matter how funny somebody is, nobody wants to hear them talk into an xbox live mic for 6 hours.
  • and of course: how good at talking is the lp'er. i was just on youtube, trying to check out a let's play of planescape torment (cause i like that game) but it seems that the only people who like that game are apparently stammering geeks who just don't got jokes.
 
now i would be remiss if i didn't offer some recommendations of my own to start the conversation. so i will tell you all to have a look at spoony's (of spoonyexperiment.com) let's plays of phantasmagoria 2 and swat 4. these two are pretty comparable to the endurance run, in terms of quality. and i actually laughed more watching spoony's phantasmagoria 2 lp than persona 4, so that says something about how good this guy is at coming up with some funny shit to say on the spot.
 
then i would tell people to check out this guy lateblt on youtube, specifically his let's plays of the quest for glory games. i haven't seen all the stuff he's done, but those are good. he's not hilarious, and in fact he's pretty corny, but he's got a good voice for lp's, his audio quality is good, and he doesn't stammer or have long periods of silence in his videos.
 
so now i've done my bit, gb community. let's hear about the lp's that made you laugh.
#2 Edited by X19 (2306 posts) -
#3 Edited by Mars_Cleric (1595 posts) -
#4 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

I only watch Hamst3r's Let's Play videos.

#5 Edited by CornBREDX (5396 posts) -
@Mars_Cleric said:

"
King's Quest 5 and Alice in Wonderland by pawdugan 
Quest for Glory 1 and Callahan's Crosstime Saloon by pushinguproses "

Agreed. Paw and Roses are some of the best next to Spoony (and of course the Endurance Runs). I haven't seen much else that's funny in the Let's Play department. Unfortunately its a "genre", if you will, that is heavily populated with bad and the good are few and far between.
 
To be fair, I know it's really hard to come up with funny stuff to say on the spot all the time. Some people are just gifted at it I guess.
#6 Posted by TheGeniousPlayer (111 posts) -
@Axxol said:
" I only watch Hamst3r's Let's Play videos. "
#7 Posted by Eric_Buck (1289 posts) -

There's a guy called TheRadBrad or something that did some pretty funny Dead Rising Let's plays. 

#8 Edited by rubberluffy (465 posts) -

I don't bother with Youtube-only LPs.
 http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/
  http://www.archive.org/details/lets-play
 http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=191
  http://www.freelanceastronauts.com/index.php  
 http://chipandironicus.com/index.html 
The second link has Research Indicates LP of Jurassic Park: Trespasser.  It is a shining example of a high quality LP.
Proteus and Suspicious' Daikatana is an absolutely hilarious trainwreck.  Anything the Freelance Astronauts do is awesome.  Kung-Fu Jesus' LP of God Hand is great, as are pokecapn's Sonic LPs, especially Sonic 2006.  Chip Cheezum and General Ironicus' LP of 50 Cent: Blood On The Sand is also amazing.

#9 Posted by chrissedoff (2116 posts) -
@X19: i'm liking bashur. that guy just has a voice made for comedy.
#10 Edited by chrissedoff (2116 posts) -
@rubberluffy: wasn't trespasser that fps where you got a face full of tits if you looked down at the ground? i remember reading about that game in pc gamer and thinking it looked like garbage.
#11 Posted by rubberluffy (465 posts) -
@chrissedoff: 
Yes, because that is all the model of your character is, the chest and one arm.  RI shows off playing the game in third person.  It is horrifying.
#12 Edited by Thunderhead (14 posts) -
#13 Posted by X19 (2306 posts) -
@rubberluffy: Great suggestions especially 

Research Indicates LP of Jurassic Park: Trespasser

Will start watching that very soon.
#14 Posted by NZV (125 posts) -
@rubberluffy said:
" I don't bother with Youtube-only LPs.
 http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/
  http://www.archive.org/details/lets-play
 http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=191
  http://www.freelanceastronauts.com/index.php  
 http://chipandironicus.com/index.html  The second link has Research Indicates LP of Jurassic Park: Trespasser.  It is a shining example of a high quality LP. Proteus and Suspicious' Daikatana is an absolutely hilarious trainwreck.  Anything the Freelance Astronauts do is awesome.  Kung-Fu Jesus' LP of God Hand is great, as are pokecapn's Sonic LPs, especially Sonic 2006.  Chip Cheezum and General Ironicus' LP of 50 Cent: Blood On The Sand is also amazing. "
 Please listen to this man and do your part to fight bad youtube LPs.
#15 Edited by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
HCBailly has a ton of great and funny ones. And it's fun to see how much better he get's at commentating while playing as he becomes more relaxed and less boring. 
Our very own Hamst3r also has a few good ones but he's been slacking off and hasn't made anything new-ish lately. Slacker! 
And last but not least: Jesse Cox and his World of Warcraft: Cataclysm videos. Maybe not all Let's Play videos but his videos of the Goblin and Worgen starter areas are great
#16 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -
@rubberluffy said:
"I don't bother with Youtube-only LPs.
 http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/
  http://www.archive.org/details/lets-play
 http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=191
  http://www.freelanceastronauts.com/index.php  
 http://chipandironicus.com/index.html  The second link has Research Indicates LP of Jurassic Park: Trespasser.  It is a shining example of a high quality LP. Proteus and Suspicious' Daikatana is an absolutely hilarious trainwreck.  Anything the Freelance Astronauts do is awesome.  Kung-Fu Jesus' LP of God Hand is great, as are pokecapn's Sonic LPs, especially Sonic 2006.  Chip Cheezum and General Ironicus' LP of 50 Cent: Blood On The Sand is also amazing. "

Excellent list, I was just going to recommend the Trespasser one. 
And yeah, the SomethingAwful LP's making fun of other LP's tend to be hilarious.
#17 Posted by JustKamToo (685 posts) -

 davidr64yt's (http://www.youtube.com/user/davidr64yt) &  JohnnyKnodoff's (http://www.youtube.com/user/JohnnyKnodoff) are a good watch.

#18 Edited by Helgi (79 posts) -
#19 Posted by X19 (2306 posts) -
@ZeForgotten said:
" HCBailly has a ton of great and funny ones. And it's fun to see how much better he get's at commentating while playing as he becomes more relaxed and less boring. 
Our very own Hamst3r also has a few good ones but he's been slacking off and hasn't made anything new-ish lately. Slacker! 
And last but not least: Jesse Cox and his World of Warcraft: Cataclysm videos. Maybe not all Let's Play videos but his videos of the Goblin and Worgen starter areas are great "
Now I can just watch FF6 and Chrono Trigger and not have to play them thanks. Btw your Jesse Cox link is linked to Hamst3r.
#20 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@X19 said:
" @ZeForgotten said:
" HCBailly has a ton of great and funny ones. And it's fun to see how much better he get's at commentating while playing as he becomes more relaxed and less boring. 
Our very own Hamst3r also has a few good ones but he's been slacking off and hasn't made anything new-ish lately. Slacker! 
And last but not least: Jesse Cox and his World of Warcraft: Cataclysm videos. Maybe not all Let's Play videos but his videos of the Goblin and Worgen starter areas are great "
Now I can just watch FF6 and Chrono Trigger and not have to play them thanks. Btw your Jesse Cox link is linked to Hamst3r. "
All should be fixed, I think
#21 Posted by PhaggyBigNastyMcKill (564 posts) -

what is this lets play BS? they are called endurance runs around here

#22 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5834 posts) -

anything by raocow, preferable cat planet
 
  

#23 Posted by Mars_Cleric (1595 posts) -
@PhaggyBigNastyMcKill said:
"what is this lets play BS? they are called endurance runs around here "

an endurance run is a test of will
a let's play is to showcase a game you love or a game that is so bad you just have to show everyone
#24 Posted by X19 (2306 posts) -
@rubberluffy:  
 
@rubberluffy said:
" @chrissedoff:  Yes, because that is all the model of your character is, the chest and one arm.  RI shows off playing the game in third person.  It is horrifying. "
Just got to that bit and... what... argh
#25 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

How the fuck has DeceasedCrab been ignored for two pages?

#26 Posted by Godot (208 posts) -
@rubberluffy:  Holy crap that Trespasser LP is really professional. Gives a little history behind the project and everything. I'm not sure I want to watch it all lest I spoil myself for all other LPs.
#27 Edited by Baal_Sagoth (1265 posts) -

I love this thread - it is so hard to find good commented LPs, but I really crave new material. Especially since there's no new Endurance Run in sight.
I will definitely check out some of the videos mentioned here. I'd like to also recommend the stuff Spoony made, because it is among the best non-GB stuff I'm aware of.  

@chrissedoff

said:

 spoony's (of spoonyexperiment.com) let's plays of phantasmagoria 2 and swat 4

In addition to that I kinda have to mention Helloween4545. The link shows the playlists of several games he already finished - mostly horror-themed shooters and action adventures that tend to be fairly recent (as in: came out during the last couple of years). I think he is a pretty funny guy but that's pretty subjective. I think I saw Metro 2033 first, but I find it really hard to recommend favorites. I saw and enjoyed the AvP stuff, Amnesia, Cryostasis, Call of Cthulhu and SH: Homecoming. Regardless I think he's worth checking out to see if he might be entertaining to you. He apparently originated from the Penny Arcade forums.
Online
#28 Posted by Sliced_Bread (148 posts) -
#29 Posted by Icicle7x3 (1182 posts) -
@Sliced_Bread said:
" SirRonLionHeart and +1 for Helloween4545 "
GAH! YOU BEAT ME TO IT!
 
HAHA ALRIGHT! SUPERB! FANTASTIC!
#30 Posted by GeekDown (1170 posts) -

The only one I've watched is Hamst3r's Amnesia playthrough and I really liked it.

#31 Edited by rubberluffy (465 posts) -

There's also more to LPs than just the video ones.  I used to avoid the screenshot LPs because I figured they just couldn't compare to a video one.  I was wrong.  There are a lot of good screenshot LPs, especially the ones by The Dark Id and From Earth on the LPArchive that I linked to earlier. 
 

@Godot:

 
Research Indicates makes the LP more like a documentary.  Its great.  He's also done Jurassic Park: Chaos Island (an RTS-styled game) and Crimson Skies, the plane shooter for the XBOX (not sure if he's done with this).  Both are here, along with some other good ones like slowbeef's Metroid Prime and vprisoner's Megaman Legends LPs:   http://bd.baldurk.org/
#32 Posted by Godot (208 posts) -
@rubberluffy:  Thanks, I'll be sure to check them out. Sure beats trudging through the crap on Youtube.
#33 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4798 posts) -

I did a Let's Play with my cousin once. It's kinda shitty though: 
http://www.youtube.com/user/AndroidChocobo?feature=mhum#p/u/4/kDCVxTGXhlY

#34 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

What about Captain Novolin?
 
  

  
#35 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -
@FancySoapsMan: That guy is annoying as fuck.
#36 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -
#37 Edited by darkwingduck (175 posts) -

you should check out www.youtube.com/tenike1 hes not really doing lps anymore but has great lps of the jedi knight series on his channel 
 
also i kinda dig seananners and his neverstopping sexual inuendo

#38 Posted by Dyram (148 posts) -

ProtonJon has been doing Let's Play videos for a while, and starting a few months ago, he began on an endeavor to play Superman 64. It's a well thought out and presented LP. 
 
Here's the playlist of the current episodes: 
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=6537A2F60C44CF57

#39 Posted by rubberluffy (465 posts) -
@Dyram said:
" ProtonJon has been doing Let's Play videos for a while, and starting a few months ago, he began on an endeavor to play Superman 64. It's a well thought out and presented LP. 
 
Here's the playlist of the current episodes: 
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=6537A2F60C44CF57 "
Yeah, but the SomethingAwful thread for it has been locked for the past month, I guess he's been too busy.  Hope he gets back to it soon.
#40 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4798 posts) -

Bashur is great.

#41 Posted by rubberluffy (465 posts) -
#42 Posted by dragonzord (820 posts) -

MageMasher and TokyoDomeSF4's Resident Evil 5 co-op run is one of the funniest things on the internet. There's a point in the Let's Play where they keep trying to put useless things in each other's inventory and run away.