#101 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

Alice: Madness Returns. The game didn't want to end

#102 Posted by MayorFeedback (674 posts) -

Everything that happens after the Dahlia murders in L.A. Noire is complete garbage.

And I just played through Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands and that one falls into the "GAME'S OVER, GOOD NIGHT, HOPE YOU ENJOYED IT" type of sudden ending (Sniper: Ghost Warrior, Kane and Lynch, etc.), though it has an added, completely unnecessary post-credits narration that doesn't actually tell you anything. But that's fine, dumb (but fun) games are allowed to have dumb endings, I don't mind. It's games that start really strong and then just fall apart (L.A. Noire, Max Payne 3 comes close) that irk me. So disappointing!

#103 Posted by Jimi (1126 posts) -

Batman Arkham Asylum, the game was amazing and I like all the boss fights but suddenly Joker happens.

Such a shame.

#104 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2687 posts) -

"you seen" what?

#105 Posted by Nux (2360 posts) -
#106 Posted by Cozmicaztaway (221 posts) -

@Anwar said:

Killzone 3 was pretty awful. The fight with Stahl and Orlock showed Orlock stabbing Stahl right in his goddamn chest(right in his heart if not just really close to it) and after that struggle Stahl grabs the side of his body, the fuck was that? The cutscenes in general were poorly made, clipping everywhere(don't forget the retcon of the opening scene). And the ending with just a big 'oops' was the crappy cherry on this shitcake. I liked the gameplay and the multiplayer is a lot of fun and still active. Singleplayer though goddamn.

Edit: Nobody else mentioned this. Okay.

I considered mentioning it. The entire ending of that game is kind of awful. I mean, the final fight in 2 was kinda cheap and crappy as well, but at least it wasn't a rail-sequence that ends with some dumb "dude, there's a NUKE!" moment. Then again, KZ3 singleplayer in general is pretty poor compared to KZ2.

#107 Posted by Cyrus_Saren (536 posts) -
#108 Posted by Pimpsandwich (73 posts) -

Rage.

#109 Posted by KaneRobot (1614 posts) -

Revenge of Shinobi was my first "...that's it?" ending.

#110 Posted by RedRavN (400 posts) -

I've got to say RAGE was probably the worst for me personally. I mean, the game was finally starting to pick up some serious momentum and then it pretty much ends and you get a short FMV and thats it. After 20 hours of gameplay I expected some sort of payoff. Supposedly the game was actually rushed out and a lot of content around the end game had to be cut. But that end was truly facepalm worthy and one of the most half assed things I have seen in a game. Pity too, because I liked the game quite a bit.

#111 Posted by Quarters (1705 posts) -

@Zaccheus: It went along with the whole found footage approach. All found footage movies end abruptly. It totally went along with the style they were going for. Besides, they completely finished their objective, so it's not like nothing happened.

#112 Posted by lawrence_of_suburbia (30 posts) -

@Pimpsandwich said:

Rage.

This. What was it like, 20 seconds of poorly rendered CG?

Uh....thanks guys!

#113 Posted by bybeach (4831 posts) -

I agree about Borderlands and add a game called Chaser. Chaser was suprisingly good 2/3's of the way through, then it drops low for the last third, and flushes right at the end. It's like somebody else finished the game. Borderlands simply reminds you, you were not really playing it for the story. I understand, but still....

#114 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2030 posts) -

Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy -- They said "To Be Continued" but it never continued! What happens with them and the helicopters!

#115 Posted by ProfessorK (824 posts) -

@Ninja_Welshman: I'll call your Tekken and raise you SF2. I mean seriously Ryu just walks off?! C'mon now with the fight is everything already!

#116 Posted by Zaccheus (1793 posts) -

@Quarters: That seems pretty crazy to me, but ok. To me it just wasn't a found footage game. It was just a third person shooter with some filters. I think it looked nice, but to be a found footage thing I feel like you have to actually establish the camera some how. And yes they did finnish their objective, but it's pretty bad storytelling to me to go into another shootout and then just cut it off. I mean the game climaxed with all the helicopter stuff and then it just went on a bit and then ended. There was no point to that. Hey they got on to the plane, that could have been a 20 second cut scene but instead it's a pointless gameplay section that waters down the peak of the game and adds absolutely nothing. Bad pacing. Go out on a high note or do an epilogue that tells what happened afterwards. That's just my opinion.

#117 Posted by ProfessorK (824 posts) -

Borderlands

Bionic Commando

Tenchu Z

Crackdown

#118 Posted by biggiedubs (493 posts) -

Fallout 3

Hyrdophobia

Michigan: Report From Hell

#119 Edited by CaptainCharisma (339 posts) -

LA Noire, Dragon Age 2, Bulletstorm, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, Final Fantasy XIII, and Dark Void are the worst endings I can remember (other than that game where there is all that effecting of mass).

#120 Posted by Dick_Mohawk (378 posts) -

Army of two tfd was pretty damned lame.

#121 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2030 posts) -

Actually, I just remembered how terrible Command & Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight was with resolving Kane's Arc. The definitely resolved the whole Tiberian Crisis and Kane was able to get what he wanted, but it felt so sudden and rushed. Kane definitely deserved a better send off!

#122 Posted by amir90 (2156 posts) -

Assassins Creed 1, Borderlands, Starfox Adventures.

Well I never hate an ending tbh.

#123 Posted by A_Dog (744 posts) -

The end boss in Space Marine was pretty bad.

The ending also suggested a sequel that we'll probably never see, unfortunately.

#124 Posted by falserelic (5437 posts) -

@ryanrulez said:

The end boss in Space Marine was pretty bad.

The ending also suggested a sequel that we'll probably never see, unfortunately.

I thought the samething. I wish they had added more to the ending and last boss fight. It sucked how it was just quicktime events. Another thing that bothered me was that you never got to use your demonic powers.

#125 Posted by Ninja_Welshman (485 posts) -
@ProfessorK

@Ninja_Welshman: I'll call your Tekken and raise you SF2. I mean seriously Ryu just walks off?! C'mon now with the fight is everything already!

Does SF have a Kangaroo, a bear and A FUCKING VELOCIRAPTOR?!

(drops mic...)
#126 Edited by Zippedbinders (997 posts) -

@Anwar said:

Killzone 3 was pretty awful. The fight with Stahl and Orlock showed Orlock stabbing Stahl right in his goddamn chest(right in his heart if not just really close to it) and after that struggle Stahl grabs the side of his body, the fuck was that? The cutscenes in general were poorly made, clipping everywhere(don't forget the retcon of the opening scene). And the ending with just a big 'oops' was the crappy cherry on this shitcake. I liked the gameplay and the multiplayer is a lot of fun and still active. Singleplayer though goddamn.

Edit: Nobody else mentioned this. Okay.

Oh no, I agree. Killzone 3 was pretty bad. There was no sense of closure, or even really any victory. Just "WHOOF, YOU DESTROYED A SHIP, NOW LETS CIRCLE THE PLANET TO ROCK AND ROLL METAL CREDITS" Its a real bummer, since the story was fun to play through, the whole low gravity scene was awesome, and the final fight was a shitty on rails segment. I was quite disappointed.

EDIT: I'd also like to acknowledge the fact that nearly all of the games mentioned in this thread are from this generation. Either "bad" has developed into "unsatisfying" or everyone has some terrible memory skills, as I find it rather hard to believe that games from previous generations are as pristine as our memories allow.

#127 Posted by Rawrz (590 posts) -

Halo 2. I was all into that game and then it goes all cliffhanger and ends suddenly as im left all what the fuck. I dont mind a cliffhanger if done properly but that just felt like it wasnt finished and had this quick ending thrown together to give it something.

#128 Posted by NTM (7380 posts) -

@MiniPato said:

@TheHBK said:

Metal Gear Solid series.

Maybe not the events per se, well after the first one, each one was just horrible. The endless monologues about some lesson or theme Kojima was focused on. The cliffhangers and nonexistant surprises that just turned out to be nothing.

I partly agree. I really liked the endings to MGS2 and MGS3. But I felt MGS4 was a poor ending to the series overall.

Actually, as weird as it is, Kojima isn't done with Snake's story (he said that), and now there's going to be an MGS5. It might be a prequel though. I thought it was a fine ending to the series. Not my first time through, but after subsequent playthrough's.

Online
#129 Posted by NTM (7380 posts) -

@amir90 said:

Assassins Creed 1

Ha ha, actually, that was almost the only good thing about it.

Online
#130 Posted by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

Xenogears.

#131 Posted by Zaapp1 (658 posts) -

While it may be hyperbolic to claim it's one of the "worst," I would say that I was completely disappointed by Heavy Rain's ending compared to the relative quality of the rest of that game's story. I just don't think that with what the player experienced an outcome like that would have been possible along the same plotline (i.e. the part where they reveal everything would've been more obvious in the course of the game, wink wink nudge nudge.)

#132 Posted by xMP44x (2193 posts) -
@Humanity said:

Mafia II suffers in a similar fashion albeit the ending was supposed to be released in DLC form and it never was. While the original is one of my favorite games of all time the second game in the series suffered from a bad story all the way from the very beginning.

Was it actually meant to be continued in DLC? I'm surprised by that. I thought the ending they had written was a beautifully cruel twist and that was it. If they didn't release a DLC for it though it gives me hope they'll get some brains working on a third game, for Mafia II is a contender for one of my favorite open-world games. I hope we see a third game even if it isn't related to the first two. I love the effort they put into creating the game and the time period. Admittedly there were a few things I wish had been done differently but the game was that good I'd let every single one of them slip for a sequel.
#133 Edited by YetiAntics (1490 posts) -

Thankfully, I've played games with mediocre to great endings.

So none come to mind right now.

(Fighting games don't count. They have no story)

#134 Posted by Rohok (554 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

I hereby declare that Mass Effect 3 CANNOT be mentioned in this thread. It simply ain't happening.

Mass Effect 3

#135 Posted by Humanity (9261 posts) -

@xMP44x: I read about it somewhere at the time and the ending leaves everything half finished. Mafia 1 had an amazing story and conclusion. I thought Mafia 2 had a horribly flawed story in that you don't make it anywhere in the mob - you're hardly anything more than a goon for hire and then you become even poorer living out the remainder of the storyline in a shitty broke down apartment. I thought the Mafia 1 storyline of a slow but steady clime to power and then seeing the people you used to admire are not as great as you thought was great - not to mention that amazing ending.

#136 Posted by xMP44x (2193 posts) -
@Humanity said:

@xMP44x: I read about it somewhere at the time and the ending leaves everything half finished. Mafia 1 had an amazing story and conclusion. I thought Mafia 2 had a horribly flawed story in that you don't make it anywhere in the mob - you're hardly anything more than a goon for hire and then you become even poorer living out the remainder of the storyline in a shitty broke down apartment. I thought the Mafia 1 storyline of a slow but steady clime to power and then seeing the people you used to admire are not as great as you thought was great - not to mention that amazing ending.

The original game was absolutely fantastic, I agree. I enjoyed the second a lot though, and didn't mind the flaw in the story. I actually didn't mind playing the lackey in the family either. The fact that you did play a lackey for the majority of the game and you never really got into much power was a nice touch though, in that I felt there was something realistic to that. Not every Mafioso would get into the family in a big way and that was a feature I felt the game managed to convey really well. It was flawed in that it didn't always make for it being all that fun, though the story managed to deliver on everything I'd have wanted. It even left me with a few questions: obviously, what about Joe, and whether Henry really was on your side or not. That would make an excellent fire for 2K to fuel if they want to continue the franchise in a meaningful way.
#137 Posted by GalacticPunt (1057 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Dragon Age 2.

Absolutely the worst ending to a story-heavy game that I've ever experienced. I was actually OK with the game up until the last twenty minutes. Then comes the horrible twist, then the big final choice you have to make is rendered MEANINGLESS, you have to fight both factions anyway! Then your protagonist's big final moment is to silently shrug and walk away. To add one last insult to my $60 pre-order, the end credits rolled entirely in silence, some bug kept the music from playing.

#138 Posted by Gimpy (32 posts) -

@xMP44x said:

@Humanity said:

@xMP44x: I read about it somewhere at the time and the ending leaves everything half finished. Mafia 1 had an amazing story and conclusion. I thought Mafia 2 had a horribly flawed story in that you don't make it anywhere in the mob - you're hardly anything more than a goon for hire and then you become even poorer living out the remainder of the storyline in a shitty broke down apartment. I thought the Mafia 1 storyline of a slow but steady clime to power and then seeing the people you used to admire are not as great as you thought was great - not to mention that amazing ending.

The original game was absolutely fantastic, I agree. I enjoyed the second a lot though, and didn't mind the flaw in the story. I actually didn't mind playing the lackey in the family either. The fact that you did play a lackey for the majority of the game and you never really got into much power was a nice touch though, in that I felt there was something realistic to that. Not every Mafioso would get into the family in a big way and that was a feature I felt the game managed to convey really well. It was flawed in that it didn't always make for it being all that fun, though the story managed to deliver on everything I'd have wanted. It even left me with a few questions: obviously, what about Joe, and whether Henry really was on your side or not. That would make an excellent fire for 2K to fuel if they want to continue the franchise in a meaningful way.

I actually forgot all about Mafia II when I originally posted, I was SO disappointed with the ending of this at the time, especially as Mafia was one of my favourite ever games, and is totally under-rated when people talk about well executed stories and characters in games. I haven't re-played Mafia II recently enough for the ending to be totally fresh, but I found an old post I made on another forum when I first completed it that sums up my feelings pretty well

Didn't really like how it ended so abruptly, and it didn't make much sense. Basically just made Vito out to be a total asshole. Joe had the chance to off you for personal gain, yet didn't out of the friendship they spent the entire game building up, yet seconds later he is being sent to his death and Vito doesn't even protest. Makes even less sense considering the mission before that was basically a 20 minute long suicide mission to go rescue him.

Overall I didn't think the story was as good. I think it still had brilliant voice acting and so on, but I think the pacing is a bit weird. In Mafia 1 there felt like a clear beginning, middle and end, where as here it felt like most of the game was one big middle, and then suddenly decided to end. In Mafia 1 you go from a nobody, to a wiseguy doing dirty work, to being one of the most trusted guys given all the important jobs, and its this believable transition of this rise and fall within the family. Here you sort of never really progress, even when you're a made guy you're still getting chumped by people, left and right. I feel like they wanted you to feel this same sort of dramatic fall from grace like Tommy Angelo did, but instead it doesn't make much sense why Vito and Joe are even in the positions they're in.

There were loads of twists in there that I think the story didn't really earn, or plot points they didn't really flesh out enough to give them the impact they were supposed to have. His sister just sort of comes and goes, Leo coming back is just this sudden deus ex machina moment, Henry being a rat is sort of the same. Most of all I just feel like there aren't enough principle characters to draw you in. Mafia 1 had Tommy, Sammy and Paulie as your main 3, but then even Salieri, Frank, Lucas, etc all felt like you were part of this little group, where as most of the time here, its you and Joe and occasionally a third who gives the mission context, so it makes even less sense that at the end they're like "Oh yeah, by the way you just let Joe die without a word"

I remember in Mafia 1, you really felt an allegiance to Salieri and the gang, etc where as here there is basically no loyalty to any one group, so most of the time you wonder who the fuck you're supposed to be rooting for, or what anybodies intentions really are, etc.

Most of all im a bit disappointed the story basically hurries to the same conclusion that the first did - a deal behind your bosses back that pisses off the wrong people and ends up being your demise. I mean you just go on a suicide mission to rescue Joe, basically taking on an entire Family and the Police force to get back your lifelong mate, who then dismisses the chance to rise up by betraying and killing you without a seconds thought, yet when its the other way around Vito just goes "Fair enough" , which would be fine if he was a hard nosed dick or they'd built up some sort of resentment towards Joe, but they basically smashed home the element of mates sticking together for the last 8 hours.

have an awful feeling that the ending is actually setting up some DLC, which would piss me off massively. I would hate if I went to a movie and then 5 minutes from the end they switched it off and went "yeah pay another 3 quid and you can see how it ends" Thats bullshit in a narrative driven game. Im all for extra content showing different subplots or different arcs of a story like in say Mass Effect 2, but its a dick move to do that in a game that had one completely linear story thread all the way through. The more I think about Mafia 1, the better I think the story is, not just in comparison to 2, but just when compared to other games in general. Its SO well done, might be the best videogame ending ever for me.

No idea why im analysing it so much, I guess the fact I am shows I still enjoyed the story. But yeah

I've no idea why I've written such a long post about a game I finished 2 years ago, but there it is, haha

#139 Posted by Spoonman671 (4640 posts) -

Killzone 3 has the worst ending of all time.  I was saying that they need to patch in a new ending for that game long before anybody was whining about Mass Effect 3.

#140 Edited by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

This topic comes up a lot, and I always think of one game. Borderlands. I get it's not a story heavy game, but I mean come on, they could have at least tried with the ending. I still love the game though. Also, I see Dragon Age 2 being mentioned a lot...for the life of me I can't remember what happened, the only thing I remember was Anders and something about blowing up the chantry. I guess that alone speaks volumes about the ending.

#141 Posted by Humanity (9261 posts) -
@Gimpy I felt exactly as your 2 yr old self did.
#142 Posted by itsjustclark (26 posts) -

How about alternate endings?

Valkyrie profile had 3 different endings, playing blindly my first go earned me the B ending, and that left such a bad taste in my mouth that I just could not play the game again. All you got was a pat on the back, and that's it. Years later I would play it again and get ending A and it was pretty good, but the B ending made me feel like crap for having done all that for a 30 second ending and then nothing.

Other games like dragon age 2 and rage come to mind for games that have soured me this generation. Save some time and dont even play the games, watch the endings on youtube. Its only like a combined 4 minutes at most.

#143 Posted by Animasta (14692 posts) -

infinite space. I like all the revalations and stuff before the ending but the ending itself is super abrupt.

YOU DEFEATED THE BIG BAD SHIP, EMPEROR TARANIS CRASHED INTO SOL, CREDITS.

#144 Posted by Recall (103 posts) -

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

Red Dead Redemption

Really? Really??

#145 Edited by Willin (1280 posts) -

The Assassin's Creed series has a long tradition of simply awful fucking endings.

  • AC1: Magic ball kills Head Assassin dude then projects magic globe.
  • AC2: Ezio talks to space, magic, ghost, alien thing and jumps 4 sharks as he does it.
  • AC:B: Desmond finds out he is descended from said space-magic-ghost-alien thing and stabs fish lady for no reason and falls asleep.
  • AC:R: Flashforward into past/future where the Earth shallows a baby and player feels sad about it. No progress on the Desmond story except a van ride.
#146 Posted by amir90 (2156 posts) -

@NTM said:

@amir90 said:

Assassins Creed 1

Ha ha, actually, that was almost the only good thing about it.

Okey, the ending wasn't that bad, but the science fiction stuff put me off.

I love the crusader theme..

#147 Posted by NTM (7380 posts) -

@amir90 said:

@NTM said:

@amir90 said:

Assassins Creed 1

Ha ha, actually, that was almost the only good thing about it.

Okey, the ending wasn't that bad, but the science fiction stuff put me off.

I love the crusader theme..

Oh, yeah that's fair I guess. Also, I shouldn't have said it like the first AC sucks, 'cause it doesn't, but for the most part it's repetitive and doesn't get to the point, and when it ends, that's pretty much the only part that gets to the actual story the series was trying to talk about. I understand what you mean though.

Online
#148 Posted by falserelic (5437 posts) -

@NTM said:

@amir90 said:

@NTM said:

@amir90 said:

Assassins Creed 1

Ha ha, actually, that was almost the only good thing about it.

Okey, the ending wasn't that bad, but the science fiction stuff put me off.

I love the crusader theme..

Oh, yeah that's fair I guess. Also, I shouldn't have said it like the first AC sucks, 'cause it doesn't, but for the most part it's repetitive and doesn't get to the point, and when it ends, that's pretty much the only part that gets to the actual story the series was trying to talk about. I understand what you mean though.

I agree aswell.

#149 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@Godlyawesomeguy I thought Red Dead had the greatest ending from a videogame I've seen. Are you talking about the death scene or the revenge scene as their was The real ending after credits you had to do a few missions for a stranger.

#150 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@Gimpy I liked the end of Mafia 2 just as i liked Mass Effect 3, games don't have to have the clique happy ending. I like when things are out of your control and the writer sticks with their intention, when have mafia movies ever had happy endings?