What Are Some Of The Worst Endings You seen In a Video Game?

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#151  Edited By Arker101

MGS2 was pretty bad, even in retrospect. If I can't have ME3, I'll use DA2 as a substitute. Of course that whole game was bad, not just the ending. Halo Reach was pretty bad.

Even though I can tell you right now that Borderlands 2 will be my GOTY, the first one's ending wasn't good at all.

Avatar image for lawrence_of_suburbia
lawrence_of_suburbia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Bioshock is another that comes to mind, very specifically the "Eat the baby" ending.

It made me feel like the developers were flipping me the middle finger for harvesting the little sisters.

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#153  Edited By DrDarkStryfe

Sudeki on the original Xbox. You deliver the final blow to the boss, get a ten second clip with hand puppets, than credits.

HiCZoK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#155  Edited By HiCZoK

@dudeglove said:

Anyone who thinks RDR or LA Noire had good endings needs to go outside and read a damn book. Any book.

They had pretty awesome endings. And plot in those games is just as complex as in books and even more I would say.

Still The Darkness for the best ending

Rage, Cryostasis, me3 had pretty bad endings

evanomeara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By evanomeara

Can't say if its terrible or not as I never bothered to rewatch it but I fell asleep during all those end movies of MGS4

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By frankfartmouth

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

Red Dead Redemption

Darksiders

Portal 2

Silent Hill 2

Aw man, I thought RDR and Silent Hill 2 both had excellent endings

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By falserelic

Another game where I don't like the ending is Siren: Blood Curse. That game was a complete mindfuck I hated every minute of it. It had something to do with a time paradox and a evil curse. It was just a weird game that I wanted to stay far away from.

spartanlolz92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By spartanlolz92

red dead its a great ending but i hated every second of it.

CJduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#160  Edited By CJduke

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

Red Dead Redemption

Darksiders

Portal 2

Silent Hill 2

You can't be series, right? How can you say Darksiders and Portal 2 had bad endings? I can understand Red Dead maybe, though I loved it. But what is there not to like about the Darksiders and Portal 2 endings?

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#161  Edited By Akeldama

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

Red Dead Redemption

Darksiders

Portal 2

Silent Hill 2

No, OP said WORST endings.

preaser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By preaser

ME3, DA2, and Borderlands.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By Clonedzero

fallout 3, cus the plot shits all over itself at the end. at the end of the game, the bad guys and the good guys literally have the same damn motivation. with broken steel or without. it makes no god damn sense if you analyze it for just a second.

Clean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By Clean

Assassin's Creed had a pretty terrible cliff-hanger ending. Knights of the Old Republic 2's ending was very meh to me. Resident Evil 5's ending sucked. Overall, I'm usually not disappointed with videogame endings. Still surprised everyone hated Mass Effect 3's ending as much as they did

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By CaptainCody

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

Red Dead Redemption

Darksiders

Portal 2

Silent Hill 2

Is it opposite day? I'll give you Silent Hill 2.

curious_george

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By curious_george

RDR had one of my favorite endings in recent memory. And even if you didn't like the events in conclusion, is it even close to the worst compared to we frequently see in video games? Really?

Also, if the Portal 2 ending didn't make you smile even a little bit then you must be some kind of puppy killing monster.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#167  Edited By LordAndrew

@C2C said:

Samurai Legend Musashi

While most of the ending sequence was par for the course given how bad the game was, the ending after "gameplay" finished was just a couple of lines of text with an unsubstantial cut-scene at the end. This made me feel really bad for having even set low expectations for an ending. Here it is in case you want to see it.

Though my records indicate I've beaten the game, I don't remember that ending. At all.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By _Zombie_

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

Red Dead Redemption

Darksiders

Portal 2

Da fuck is this shit?

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By MiniPato

Far Cry 2.

I mean I probably shouldn't have expected anything story-wise from this game, but still it had a bullshit ending and doesn't explain why you have to do what your are doing other than "because we said so."

C2C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#170  Edited By C2C

@LordAndrew said:

Though my records indicate I've beaten the game, I don't remember that ending. At all.

To be fair, nothing about that game is that memorable (except some of the OST). I just got really mad at the ending because I have seen 90's fighting game endings better than what you get by beating Samurai Legend Musashi.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By falserelic

@MiniPato said:

Far Cry 2.

I mean I probably shouldn't have expected anything story-wise from this game, but still it had a bullshit ending and doesn't explain why you have to do what your are doing other than "because we said so."

LOL! that was the same reaction I had when I saw the ending. It made no sense to listen to a guy who may or may not be telling the truth. Even if he was why risk your life to save people, when your character kills people for money. That whole ending was just stupid me.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By MiniPato

@falserelic said:

@MiniPato said:

Far Cry 2.

LOL! that was the same reaction I had when I saw the ending. It made no sense to listen to a guy who may or may not be telling the truth. Even if he was why risk your life to save people, when your character kills people for money. That whole ending was just stupid me.

.And if you didn't choose to blow yourself up, the Jackal said you would have to shoot yourself in the head for literally no reason.

Xerges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By Xerges

ENSLAVED, journey to the west

worst ending ever!

after watching pictures of the holidays of the dev team, you get the worst speech I've heard in a long time,

the real people pictures were totally out of place.

Giff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#174  Edited By Giff

If you asked me two weeks ago it would be Prince of Persia 360 version. I love the game but the ending basically left are charcherst back at square 1.. not the ideal way to end a 15 hour adventure. But ironicly I just finshed Prince of Persia Forgotten Sands and it now takes the title. The game just ends so abrubptly then as if Ubisoft themselves admitted they messed up had a short slide show at the end of the credits tying up the loose ends... again liked the game but what a lame way to end an adventure.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#175  Edited By FreakAche
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#176  Edited By Hailinel

@itsjustclark said:

How about alternate endings?

Valkyrie profile had 3 different endings, playing blindly my first go earned me the B ending, and that left such a bad taste in my mouth that I just could not play the game again. All you got was a pat on the back, and that's it. Years later I would play it again and get ending A and it was pretty good, but the B ending made me feel like crap for having done all that for a 30 second ending and then nothing.

Other games like dragon age 2 and rage come to mind for games that have soured me this generation. Save some time and dont even play the games, watch the endings on youtube. Its only like a combined 4 minutes at most.

The B ending in Valkyrie Profile is meant to be that way. Lennth goes through the whole game acting as Odin and Freya's toolbox and never learns the truth about anything.

MLeeLunsford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By MLeeLunsford

I have to agree with anyone that says Red Dead Redemption. Of course I was annoyed with that story half way through the game, the more I learned about the main character the less I liked him or cared about what he was doing. The game itself was a ton of fun though, which makes it doubly disappointing. The only thing that made me smile in the ending was that

you could do side missions with the son and his dialog would fix the holes when someone "mistook" him for his father.
Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#178  Edited By Marz

recent memory? LA Noire... so bad.. i sold the game right after i finished it.

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By PixelPrinny

There's been a few of these threads over the last few months, but I'm more than happy to keep mentioning how utterly ridiculous and flat-out stupid FFXIII-2's (non)ending is.

1337W422102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#180  Edited By 1337W422102

A few off the top of my head:

• Halo 2's was just plain trolling.
  • Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days' wasn't an ending as much as it was the abrupt cutting off of the story.
  • Evil Dead: Regeneration's was abrupt and unsatisfying, but that was only so it would tie into the beginning of Army of Darkness for canonicity.
  • I didn't like Portal 2's ending; I felt it was too "lol glados XD."
  • Halo: Reach's ending would have been better without the monologue that didn't make much sense.
  • I really didn't like Diablo 1's ending because it solved nothing, effectively made the player's quest completely fucking pointless, and only screwed over the worlds of Diablo 2 and 3 (in terms of bringing more evil to the countryside).
  • Neither of No More Heroes' endings offered any kind of closure, which was especially disappointing considering all of the plot twists/revelations late into the game.
  • GTA III's was a letdown.  So Claude downs the chopper and takes out a chick?  That's it?
  • Vice City's didn't do it for me, either.  Hell, the whole "how do I get back at them?  By buying real estate!" story point didn't, either.
  • Borderlands.  'Nuff said.
  • I saw Out Of Order's end coming the moment the first cutscene ended, which disappointed me because my crappy idea turned out to be right.  What a lousy ending.
  • I found the first DOOM's ending to be simultaneously offputting and disappointing.
  • Saints Row: The Third.
  • Gears of War had a terrible ending, too.  "Hurray, you did all that for nothing!  Buy our next game!"  Felt like the end of an episode from Epic Megagames' shareware days.
  • I didn't get Need for Speed: Underground's ending.  So you reach the top of the ladder and the opponent's a hot blonde chick.  Groovy.  But that's all?
  • FEAR: Extraction Point had a kick-ass ending, but it was too much too suddenly, then credits.  And I think it was rendered non-canon with FEAR 2, so I never found out what happened after, or what it was all about.
  • The first Max Payne game's ending let me down, but it got better once I thought about it.

That's all I can think of right now.

eatatwhiteys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By eatatwhiteys

Gotta say I was kinda pissed when I spent countless hours gathering up pieces of the vault key in borderlands, only to not actually be let into the vault at the end. Though it's the jourrney that counts though right? Still love that game though :)

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#182  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

Video games aren't exactly famous for their storytelling, but two games whose endings stand out to me, for different reasons, are Project Snowblind, which like previously mentioned Hydrophobia, just suddenly cuts to credits in what feels like the middle of the story, and Medal of Honor 2010, which I feel tried to do something interesting at the end, but it's crazy switching between characters, broken scripting and uneven pacing made it almost incomprehensible.

I'm pretty sure I killed all the dudes that were about to capture that guy, so how and why he ended up in captivity wasn't clear, and the constant switching between random guys only identified by almost identical logos made it hard to care where I was obviously supposed to. But most of the pieces were there that at least conceptually could've made it a really good ending, had you played as that guy throughout the whole game without the crazy switching I think the ending could've had some real emotional impact, now it was just "oh no, that-guy-whoever-he-is has been tortured" *SWITCH-TO-BLURRY-FIRST-PERSON-VIEW* "you're gonna be alright!" *FADE-TO-NUMETAL-RAP*

That the credits were accompanied by some awful jingoistic Linkin Park stuff didn't help.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By PandaBear

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

Red Dead Redemption

Darksiders

Portal 2

Silent Hill 2

Red Dead Redemption

A life of crime ends with everything John Marsden even wanted, but ultimately sees him pay the price for what he is what he's done. The cycle of violence continues with his son who he wanted to grow up to be better than him. The perfect ending to a man seeking redemption in a world he is no longer apart of. This was, without a doubt, a brilliant ending.

Portal 2

You shoot a fucking portal onto the surface of the fucking moon and suck Wheatly into space before GLaDOS is reinstated and releases you... this is bad how?

Silent Hill 2

Multiple endings based on your choices, each felt like you had control over them, each ENDED the game with no 'to be continued' shit. The real monsters of Silent Hill reveal themselves and you the arc of James is complete.

@Marz said:

recent memory? LA Noire... so bad.. i sold the game right after i finished it.

What?! Running around as a different character with a flamethrower and having the main character die off-screen!! THAT WAS BRILLIANT .... sigh ... yeah they fucked that up hardcore. Still love that game.

For what it's worth...

Bulletstorm - That ending killed the game for me. NO resolutions whatsoever, the main bad guy was one guy and overcomes your team and they way it went on and on. 'You won! Or did you? No! But now you have! But wait he survived! But you beat him! But he survived again! Now you're in an escape pod thing! The End? NO! To be continued!'

Silent Hill 3 - this is actually a good ending ... except they really should have mentioned to people this game is the sequel to the first Silent Hill to the point where it will make NO sense to new players. Not a huge gripe I guess

Sonic (any 16-bit one) - Robotnik laughs at you if you miss one Chaos Emerald?! So wait, he needs ALL of them to power his shit machines but if you miss ONE he still wins? Fuck that guy...

Fallout 3

Fucking Fawkes... So a radiation-resistant mutant REFUSES to help you deactivate a reactor that if you attempt to shut down with kill you with radiation poising. This is after you saved her (Fawkes was female) life!? Seriously, Fawkes was an dickhead. One tiny fucking favour I ask of this ungrateful shit and she refuses. Stopping a genocide (or starting if you choose) by entering a reactor THAT WON'T HARM HER is too big of an ask? The DLC fixed this ending, but man that was so stupid.

Batman: Arkham Asylum - Play as Batman ... use your wits and cunning to survive. Use your gadgets to outsmart your enemies. Struggle against insurmountable odds with you incredible hand-to-hand abilities. A detective vigilantly with as much brains as brawn.... The ending? Beat up a mutant version of the Joker just like you did with a bunch of other mutants things in the game. Brilliant.

BioShock - An engrossing conspiracy, a commentary of video game design and a totally believable fantasy world of science mixed with magic boiled down to FIGHT THIS BOSS GUY!! ... who I think EVERYONE beats on the first, maybe second, try. At that point of the game you need something bigger than that heap of shit to challenge you.

And then you either have a bunch of clone girl things visit you in hospital (lame) or an atomic bomb shows up (why?!?!?!) and it's implied you may use it. Fuck that ending was awful.

DallasTheGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#184  Edited By DallasTheGamer

Kane and Lynch 2 definatly. They just pulled the plug.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#185  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Really, at least Mass Effect 3 gives its poorly executed ending some context and some weight. Dragon Age 2's ending is catastrophically bad, comes out of nowhere and (like the rest of the game) marginalizes all of your choices to nothing more than intent. I may be an apologist for that game, but I have my limits.

Halo 2. Really, 'nuff said.

I'm surprised KotOR 2 hasn't been mentioned all that much. I mean, it may have been 8 years, but the entire endgame sequence on Malachor V is so bad. Not only because a lot of it was clearly cut at the last second, but also the whole end twist about you being a force vacuum and Kreia being a sith lord. Ugh. Even mods don't make it better. Of course, I consider this ending to be the last in a long train of middle fingers given by the game in question, so maybe that's just me.

glyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By glyn

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Dragon Age 2.

I was about to say that!!!!

A massive build up with a somewhat good story....suddenly turned into.

THE MYSTERY WAS A MAGICAL SWORD. WHOAAHH STATUES AND A CRAZY WOMAN

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By DukesT3

@Vestigial_Man said:

Enslaved : Odyssey to the West had an awful ending. The really interesting emotional peaks came too early and then it introduces a whole bunch of new ideas before... CREDITS. It just stops with no indication of what happens next despite setting up a whole bunch of stuff. Which is sad because the rest of the game's story was great with a fascinating world, really good characters and the some moments leading up to the end that were some of the most touching I've seen in the last 10 years of gaming.

I know! Goddamn I love that game and when the ending was coming all I could mutter was "no no no no..." I also wanted him or her to kiss each other so bad.. probably one of the very few games where I really gave a shit about the characters.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#188  Edited By Yummylee

@ArbitraryWater said:

I'm surprised KotOR 2 hasn't been mentioned all that much. I mean, it may have been 8 years, but the entire endgame sequence on Malachor V is so bad. Not only because a lot of it was clearly cut at the last second, but also the whole end twist about you being a force vacuum and Kreia being a sith lord. Ugh. Even mods don't make it better. Of course, I consider this ending to be the last in a long train of middle fingers given by the game in question, so maybe that's just me.

Really? From what I remember Kreia turning out to be a Sith Lord was pretty much the only thing that made sense and actually fitted the arc of the story.

Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Not enough people have mentioned KOTOR 2 in this thread.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Video_Game_King said:

I hereby declare that Mass Effect 3 CANNOT be mentioned in this thread. It simply ain't happening.

Mass Effect 3. MAN that ENDING....was OK once they released the extended edition. ;)

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By BlatantNinja23

Heavy Rain

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#192  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@Yummylee said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

Really? From what I remember Kreia turning out to be a Sith Lord was pretty much the only thing that made sense and actually fitted the arc of the story.

Hmm. Actually, maybe I got that mixed up with something else. Considering how that old woman was basically encouraging you to be a nihilistic bastard the entire time, of course it makes sense that she was a sith lord. Maybe it was the abruptness of the twist, and how poorly it was handled that bugged me.

Crixaliz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By Crixaliz

@bybeach said:

I agree about Borderlands and add a game called Chaser. Chaser was suprisingly good 2/3's of the way through, then it drops low for the last third, and flushes right at the end. It's like somebody else finished the game. Borderlands simply reminds you, you were not really playing it for the story. I understand, but still....

Aw man Chaser was an awesome game!

Oddy4000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By Oddy4000

@Jackhole said:

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

Red Dead Redemption

what

This. When I finished RDR, I distinctly remember thinking "This is the best ending I've seen in a videogame."

I think that KoA: Reckoning ended on a pretty sour note. It was a simple, quick fight that I was overlevelled for despite skipping all side content that wasn't faction related.

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By azrailx

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

Red Dead Redemption

Darksiders

Portal 2

Silent Hill 2

good troll, or worst taste ever?

hrmmmmm

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#196  Edited By Animasta

@ArbitraryWater said:

@Yummylee said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

Hmm. Actually, maybe I got that mixed up with something else. Considering how that old woman was basically encouraging you to be a nihilistic bastard the entire time, of course it makes sense that she was a sith lord. Maybe it was the abruptness of the twist, and how poorly it was handled that bugged me.

I thought it was handled very well actually. the sith lord part anyway (I agree the force vacuum twist thing wasn't the best part though)

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By BaneFireLord

Oblivion and Skyrim and Fallout New Vegas. Those are some of my favorite games of all time, but man are those main quest endings anticlimactic dogshit.  

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By Jay444111

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Video_Game_King said:

I hereby declare that Mass Effect 3 CANNOT be mentioned in this thread. It simply ain't happening.

Mass Effect 3. MAN that ENDING....was OK once they released the extended edition. ;)

No... it isn't... they somehow managed to keep them the same level of awful while also adding in the worst ending I have ever seen in fiction. I am not kidding. Just saying people.

Another bad ending is Halo 2... most cliffhangerish ending possible.

BearSpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By BearSpark

Home Front. Apart from being a four hour game and shitty multiplayer, the ending was totally pointless and made no sense, answered no questions and made me wonder why I even bothered in the first place.

Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ArbitraryWater: I suspect it would have been better had they been allowed to finish making the game.