• 130 results
#51 Posted by ADAMWD (613 posts) -
#52 Edited by WMoyer83 (645 posts) -

The first I could remember as a kid was The Perfect Weapon on the PSOne. I thought that game was going to be so awesome, and it turned out to be such a piece of shit.

Most recently it would have to be that Flashback remake from a year ago. I loved Flashback. Such a good game, and now it's legacy has been tarnished by this awful, awful remake.

#53 Edited by Christoffer (1921 posts) -

My most recent example. I picked up Steamworld Dig after thirsting for something like Rougue Legacy. It looked like great fun when I watched videos of it. That should teach me to always read the reviews first. What a short, clunky and utterly uninteresting game that was.

#54 Posted by Village_Guy (2662 posts) -

Hour of Victory, Two Worlds, Ride to Hell: Retribution.

Oh, and I love Dishonored too.

#55 Edited by bluefish (554 posts) -

I feel like this thread has devolved (again, very quickly) into games people "didn't like and want to claim are bad." And I know opinion is subjective but Vampire Rain is not a bad game in the way Hitman Absolution is. If you can't see that you're doing so willingly.

@humanity said:
@mosespippy said:

Brutal Legend sure was a piece of shit that came out of nowhere. It started off as a good game and then took a left turn to the sewers.

Nier and Red Faction Guerrilla were games that people say say are good. After playing them I think they have no redeeming qualities at all and people who like them are not people I will listen to in the future.

I bought Nier because of those people and haven't played it yet.. now I'm scared. Granted, I did pay about $5 for it.

It's actually pretty good, weirdness being a main strength and not without having its weaknesses, but good.

#56 Edited by TopSteer (677 posts) -

Most recently I would say The Last of Us. I was insanely excited for it and really enjoyed my time with it until the clickers showed up. I hate forced stealth sections and I especially hate it when you can't fight back when you're spotted. I even tried turning it down to easy just to get through but I just couldn't do it. It's a shame since I was loving the characters and story.

Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum is another example and is the only generation of Pokemon games that I haven't beaten or enjoyed aside from X/Y which I haven't played yet.

#57 Edited by Nightriff (5337 posts) -

Call of Duty 3 was a terrible game, that is the one game I remember getting, was excited for, and fucking pissed while I was playing it. Terrible.

#58 Posted by jerseyscum (925 posts) -

Most recently? Beyond: Two Souls has to take it.

What an insipid, overbudgeted turd of a non-game. The fact that Quantic Dream gets MILLIONS to develop David Cage's incoherent masturbation fantasies is fucking mindblowing. Especially since Telltale Games made The Walking Dead for a fraction of the cost.

#59 Posted by Random45 (1280 posts) -

What an insipid, overbudgeted turd of a non-game. The fact that Quantic Dream gets MILLIONS to develop David Cage's incoherent masturbation fantasies is fucking mindblowing. Especially since Telltale Games made The Walking Dead for a fraction of the cost.

I was trying to think of a game, and I think this is it for me as well.

I actually really enjoyed Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain, so I was really excited to play the next game, but holy shit... I got halfway through the game when I started to realize that I wasn't really enjoying it at all. I was so bored for most of it, and I just couldn't get into the story. So many unbelievable things happened in that game - no, I'm not just talking about the floating aliens, I just mean how people react and act around her. Why is every kid she meets in her life a little shit? Why are there kids running around and filming themselves beating up homeless people? What the HELL was up with that random chapter out in the desert that had absolutely NOTHING to do with the rest of the game?

God damn, it's just... Wow. What a HUGE disappointment.

#60 Edited by gerrid (383 posts) -

I can never understand people who don't like Nier or Alpha Protocol. We live in different worlds. They're both exquisite.

The worst game I've ever played, which made me feel ill deep inside me, was Iggy's Wreckin' Balls. Everything about it was so hateful. That game is hell. I'm not saying I expected it to be good, but at least the previews made it sound like it might be interesting?

#61 Posted by CatsAkimbo (644 posts) -

If some of the worst games people have played are Beyond: Two Souls, Dishonoured, and The Last of Us, then you should feel really glad that you've not played any truly bad games. Before it was easy to find reviews of any game before picking it up, it was totally possible to be swindled and find yourself playing the most broken, lazily thrown together trash you could imagine.

I remember picking up Timeline after reading the book, because hey, I really liked the book and wanted anything more I could get. That was by far the worst pile of shit I've ever experienced.

#62 Posted by TopSteer (677 posts) -

If some of the worst games people have played are Beyond: Two Souls, Dishonoured, and The Last of Us, then you should feel really glad that you've not played any truly bad games. Before it was easy to find reviews of any game before picking it up, it was totally possible to be swindled and find yourself playing the most broken, lazily thrown together trash you could imagine.

I remember picking up Timeline after reading the book, because hey, I really liked the book and wanted anything more I could get. That was by far the worst pile of shit I've ever experienced.

You really should read the actual original post before replying, of course The Last of Us isn't the worst game I've ever played but it's the most recent example of a game I fully expected to like.

#63 Posted by Mortuss_Zero (395 posts) -

Geez, I dunno. I'm actually pretty easy to please with games. If there's one I found myself totally unable to enjoy it's Final Fantasy Tactics. I'm sure that's a problem with me rather than the game judging from most peoples opinions of it. I hated it though, which really disappointed me, since my friends all love it.

I'm good at avoiding outright bad games though, so I can't think of any I bought expecting good and getting something objectively bad.

#64 Posted by natetodamax (19219 posts) -

Recently? Probably GTA V. Totally subjective, yes, but fuck that game.

#65 Edited by Jnal (240 posts) -

Two Worlds. Not only was it barely able to run, but the voice acting, story and combat was awful.

Bonus: Who makes an achievement 370 points. Its not as bad as ones that make you have an odd number but its just completely random and pointless.

#66 Posted by RedRavN (414 posts) -

How quickly you guys forget "arcania: gothic 4", command and conquer 4 and space siege. All followups to genre classics that were abysmal failures. Don't know of anyone who is willing to defend any of these bad games.

#67 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5991 posts) -

I never played it, but I have to say I was pretty excited for Aliens Colonial marines... :(

Dead rising 2 fits the bill as well. I have gone back to the game multiple times, but that game is ruined for me by the time limit. That game's time limit straight up hinders you from screwing around. I WANT to have fun, but I can't.

#68 Posted by CatsAkimbo (644 posts) -

@topsteer said:

@catsakimbo said:

You really should read the actual original post before replying, of course The Last of Us isn't the worst game I've ever played but it's the most recent example of a game I fully expected to like.

My bad, you're right. Funny enough, the bold/underline text in the OP actually caused me to skip over rather than read it. Probably opposite the intended effect, but seems like I'm not the only one based on the replies.

#69 Posted by L1GHTN1N (544 posts) -

Geez, I dunno. I'm actually pretty easy to please with games. If there's one I found myself totally unable to enjoy it's Final Fantasy Tactics. I'm sure that's a problem with me rather than the game judging from most peoples opinions of it. I hated it though, which really disappointed me, since my friends all love it.

I'm good at avoiding outright bad games though, so I can't think of any I bought expecting good and getting something objectively bad.

Man I was starting to feel like I was the only one who hated that game. I love Fire Emblem, XCOM/X-COM, Disgaea, Advance Wars, Tactics Ogre, and so on but just could not get into it at all. I played the PSP remake (maybe that has something to do with it) but after about 3 hours I didn't like any of the characters, the story, the combat, and the camera is so awful. There was at least 1 character each round where I couldn't figure out where to move him because the camera was situated where a building was blocking all the squares I wanted to move to and apparently another enemy. I'd then rotate it, which blocked another person's movement, and just ended up with me dropping the game entirely. Maybe I was doing something terribly wrong, but I couldn't have been more disappointed with it.

#70 Posted by MarkM (298 posts) -

Persona 1

#71 Posted by Pr1mus (3946 posts) -

The Walking Dead and Mark of the Ninja.

At some point with the ridiculous amount of hype and praise the crew kept pouring over these 2 games i would imagine that i would get a minimum amount of fun out of them. Nope, not even a little bit.

I don't know that i would necessarily describe Mark of the Ninja as a bad game though but i will absolutely describe The Walking Dead as a pile a complete abject horseshit. Of all the games i completed in my life this is by far the worst.

#72 Posted by CrimsonAvenger (302 posts) -

Uncharted 3 and Pokemon Y. Uncharted 3 because I loved the first two but 3 just sucked all the life out of the franchise. Gone was the fun of the adventure, and in was a monotonous story line with an overload on gunplay. Then there's the whole Pirate section of the game that was just entirely pointless. It has no relevance to the rest of the story at all. I really don't understand what they were going for with the game. Was I supposed to be bored? I don't get how an Uncharted game could be so boring. Seriously the first two games were a blast to play through (and still are despite the gunplay in the first one).

As for Pokemon Y, Black/White and Black/White 2 were terrific games. X/Y took place in a new region and was the first full 3D game in the main series. I thought it was going to be great. Instead it was essentially a stripped down Pokemon game that had none of what its predecessors so great. Lots of cool new Pokemon but a hollow story, a bland region, and less stuff than the previous games caused it to be a massive letdown. I don't understand what they were thinking when they removed much the stuff people liked in the previous games.

#73 Edited by anywhereilay (174 posts) -

Not many, thanks to the informative ways to the internet.

Perhaps Final Fantasy XIII. To hell with the XIII apologists. Because of my series expectations I found that game truly awful, like, really really terrible.

Oh and also Saints Row 3. Mainly because of the hype around it from this site. The gang loved it, I loathed it. Maybe it's an American thing because I found that game to be terribly unfunny. Like, Meet the Spartans unfunny. Yep...

#74 Posted by Mortuss_Zero (395 posts) -

@l1ghtn1n: Hah, that sounds familiar. With how much I enjoyed Advance Wars, Disgaea, Makai Kingdoms, and X-com, I thought I was totally down for another SRPG. Guess not in the case of FFT.

#75 Edited by MonetaryDread (2175 posts) -
  1. Final Fantasy VIII - The most annoying characters in a Final Fantasy game... the worst leveling system, the worst side content (the card game slightly beat out FFX's shitty soccer minigame). I really thought this was going to be a good game, but I was bored to tears when I finally started playing it.
  2. Final Fantasy X - Until FFXIII came out, this was the most annoyingly linear Final Fantasy title. You ran down a narrow corridor, fight in a linear battle system (this dudes flying, use Wakka; this dude has armor, use Auron, etc). I know it opens up in the end, but damn I couldn't give a shit. The only reason why I scored FFVIII higher than X is because I was not expecting as much of X as i was VIII.
  3. Ico - Playing this game felt like the digital equivalent of pulling a heavy cinder-block through deep mud.
  4. Persona 3 - I liked the mainline SMT rpg's, turns out the addition of dating-sim mechanics and spending 30% of your time in cut-scenes or reading lore makes for a less entertaining game.
  5. Sonic The Hedgehog - I remember hearing all the Sega kids talk about how incredible this game is. When I finally tried it out for myself, I found a game that controlled terribly, had shitty platforming on the level below Bubsy, and only one great level (C'mon, Green Hill Zone IS Sonic The Hedgehog).
#76 Edited by benspyda (2050 posts) -
@jnal said:

Two Worlds. Not only was it barely able to run, but the voice acting, story and combat was awful.

Bonus: Who makes an achievement 370 points. Its not as bad as ones that make you have an odd number but its just completely random and pointless.

That was pretty much my reaction to Two Worlds 2.

#77 Posted by Devil240Z (3431 posts) -

@random45 said:

@jerseyscum said:

I was trying to think of a game, and I think this is it for me as well.

I actually really enjoyed Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain, so I was really excited to play the next game, but holy shit... I got halfway through the game when I started to realize that I wasn't really enjoying it at all. I was so bored for most of it, and I just couldn't get into the story. So many unbelievable things happened in that game - no, I'm not just talking about the floating aliens, I just mean how people react and act around her. Why is every kid she meets in her life a little shit? Why are there kids running around and filming themselves beating up homeless people? What the HELL was up with that random chapter out in the desert that had absolutely NOTHING to do with the rest of the game?

God damn, it's just... Wow. What a HUGE disappointment.

For me Beyond: two souls was like reading a good book. I actually finished it in one sitting.

#78 Edited by noizy (716 posts) -

@jz said:

@humanity: you know what? I think your actually in the minority for liking dishonored actually.

I don't mind.

Not to give too much credence to Metacritic, but it got a 91. If critics "are strangely biased", then the aggregate user score is 8.3. A lot more likes than dislikes. huamnity's poll also go toward most people liking or being ambivalent, only 5% answered that they hated it.

Personally, I thought it was alright. The setting was alright. The graphics were alright, I liked the art direction. The mechanics were alright and satisfying to use. The plot; I don't care much about plots in those games. I wouldn't call it great. I don't really like that they give you a bunch of powers and you can pretty much get by using just one or two exclusively; I guess they wanted to give you freedom, but it made the game less tight as a result. It was pretty linear too. Nothing spectacular, but hardly terrible in my book.

#79 Posted by Gruebacca (570 posts) -

I have played a few stinkers in my life, but nothing pissed me off more than Burnout Legends for the DS. Man, I was so psyched to hear that it (PSP version) was a good game, but I only had a DS at the time, and that version came out later, so I waited and waited until finally it came to stores...

I learned the hard way that not all versions of a game are the same.

#80 Edited by BigJeffrey (5178 posts) -

i dont think i have a "worst game ever". I enjoy every thing i play.

#81 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

Wanna know what game I hate even more than Dishonored? Xenoblade, that game is god damn boring it's painful. This is coming from a guy who's beaten ever jrpg that ever came out for the ps1 and the ps2. The combat is a god awful mess, that functions terribly. The sidequests are an abortion.

I don't know how they made a story about the world being two giant robots boring, but holy is the story bad. Granted I've only seen 30 hours of it, which is only 10% of the way into the game. I don't care how amazing it turns out to be, if it's this shitty now. I sold it for three times the price I payed for it and have not plugged my wii back in since. So hey I made 100 dollars profit on it, so I guess that makes it the best game ever.

#82 Posted by CornBREDX (5995 posts) -

There's a weird thing about bad anything these days. I can enjoy a bad game for it's charm, or for what it wants to be. Deadly Premonition is a fine example of that. A very true cult classic of a game- not everyone will get it and I don't expect them to but it hits all the right notes of a game like that. It's still a bad game, though.

I think more "bad" in these terms, though, are just plain middle of the road. No redeeming quality. Nothing is particularly great about it. Nothing really grabs you. Often this is from homogenization in the upper stratosphere of game development. Often something that had a lot of good intent going in that somewhere a long the lines came out wrong or abusive in monetization practices.

There are a lot of MMOs that fit this (TORO being one) and RPGs (Baldur's Gate) but there are First Person Shooters too(COD is an easy target but I'm thinking more along the lines of something like Blacksite Area 51) and action games (Assassin's Creed 3).

It's ok sometimes to be bad, but the worst sin of all is to be boring.

#83 Edited by sdharrison (476 posts) -

@pr1mus said:

The Walking Dead and Mark of the Ninja.

At some point with the ridiculous amount of hype and praise the crew kept pouring over these 2 games i would imagine that i would get a minimum amount of fun out of them. Nope, not even a little bit.

I don't know that i would necessarily describe Mark of the Ninja as a bad game though but i will absolutely describe The Walking Dead as a pile a complete abject horseshit. Of all the games i completed in my life this is by far the worst.

CORRECT! GOOD GOD SOMEBODY ELSE GETS IT! I'll spare this thread my canned takedown of that game. But yeah, it's horrible.

Hitman Absolution is another one I agree with. Totally blown. Every design decision made in that game was straight up wrong.

Fable 3 was an unfinished mess of bad or irrelevant ideas that got slapped together.

Skyrim? I think that's a super bad game in a lot of ways.

#84 Posted by jerseyscum (925 posts) -

@random45: Or David Cage's creepy fascination with female characters at CONSTANT risk for sexual assault?

#85 Edited by bybeach (4996 posts) -

I try not to play games that I consider poor. some years ago the Wolfenstein game disappointed me(Return to Castle Wolfenstein rocked!) but I did not play much of it.

I remember a decade and more ago a game called Gunman. It was pretty mediocre except near the end, this hyper-violent very sexy passive-aggressive Robot lady becomes your ally. She was great. Great like in a B culture-pop movie when they suddenly turn it on, somehow. like in Prison Girls, Nuke-Em High or something like.

There were several other hit games I tried that I didn't like(one was as a zombie, another as an alien) but I didn't stick with them.

Oh, then there was the game Chaser that was surprisingly good, till it reached Mars. Then it sucked.

#86 Posted by Aetheldod (3723 posts) -

LA Noir and lets just leave it at that

#87 Posted by sdharrison (476 posts) -

LA Noir and lets just leave it at that

Another vote for this. Big time. What a trainwreck of a game.

#88 Edited by Milkman (17316 posts) -

A lot of people in this thread seemed to have played like six games if their "worst games ever" are to be believed.

You know what's a fucking horrible game? Shadow the Hedgehog. Played that shit for like 30 minutes and realized I had made a horrible mistake.

#89 Posted by hollitz (1612 posts) -

I know I played tons of garbage on the Genesis and NES that I no longer remember.

Recent memory:

Dead Rising: Strange to me that I ended up enjoying what I played of the second one, though.

Final Fantasy 4: Nothing about it holds up. Boring combat, laughable story, ridiculous character "deaths".

Prototype: They gave up on the story halfway through, controlled poorly, strangely difficult bosses, boring world.

Omikron: Nothing about it was an acceptable game.

#90 Posted by dudeglove (8280 posts) -

LA Noire taught me never to play another Rockstar game again.

#91 Edited by BambamCZ (148 posts) -

Recently it would have to be Quantum Theory... I felt depressed after playing it for an hour. Everything about it is just so amazingly bad I don't even get how someone on the development team could one day come to work and say "Well guys, we did it. Let's release our game." Other bad games I've played would include Silent Hill: Homecoming, Convoy no Nazo (that Japanese Transformers game for Famicom), Vampire Rain, Friday the 13th, RTX: Red Rock, a Flintstones racing game (I would have to wait to come home to check the name of it), Alone in the Dark (I was so sad, but at the very least the soundtrack was phenomenal), Resident Evil: Gaiden, Resident Evil 6... and I could probably list some more..way too many bad games I have played over the years.

#92 Posted by Haruko (320 posts) -

The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends for the NES. Jesus fuck this game. I bought it because as a kid I loved Rocky and Bullwinkle a hell of a lot and I will be damned if this isnt the worst goddamned game I have ever played, from THQ just showing their chops of putting out shit early. The platforming feel like ass the music if you can call it more than just random somewhat melodic tones is terrible and loops every 15 seconds, the art looks to be made in mspaint like way worse than normal NES sprites. Its just an all around shit game and heres a full playthrough that takes...12 minutes.

This game is the very definition of cash in warmed over dogshit and I'm still pissed over 20 years later fucking goddamnit!

#93 Posted by TobbRobb (4842 posts) -

You know. Expecting it to be good might be a bit much for me. I expected medicority. But Heavy Rain fucking sucks so hard even mediocre expectations wasn't cynical enough.

Once upon a time I thought DMC 2 couldn't be as bad as the hearsay. I was wrong.

Rage has the shooting mechanics to be good. But then they tried to make it a game it isn't and it's so much worse off for it. I'd rather play a Doom remake in this engine any day. Well, if they fix the bullshit PC issues....

#94 Edited by SharkEthic (1063 posts) -

Because Rockstar did such a bad job of publishing it?

#95 Posted by SteamRickroller (310 posts) -

WonderWorld Amusement Park for Wii. A fucking disaster in every sense

#96 Edited by Svenzon (729 posts) -

Of all the genuinely awful games I've ever played, Pit Fighter for SNES the absolute worst. The badly digitized actors, horribly pixelated backgrounds, the cacophonic "music", unresponsive controls. Ugh. It all just comes together to form this almost beautifully unfun mess of a game.

I would nominate Friday the 13th for the NES as well, but I can almost see how you could make an if not good, at least interesting game out of the ideas it. That's actually a pretty good game jam challenge, when I think about it.

#97 Edited by dudeglove (8280 posts) -

@dudeglove said:

Because it shoots itself in the foot on several fronts, not just publishing. LA Noire is a prime example of a sandbox game that shouldn't have been a sandbox, of ludonarrative dissonance, of bad writing, and of Rockstar continuing its crusade of watching "classic" movies and trying to make games out of them. About the only good thing to come out of it was the delightful article over at Eurogamer, where the writer sat his Dad down to play the game with him, who grew up in LA around the time of the events of LA Noire.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-10-09-night-and-the-city

#98 Posted by SharkEthic (1063 posts) -

@sharkethic said:
@dudeglove said:

Because it shoots itself in the foot on several fronts, not just publishing. LA Noire is a prime example of a sandbox game that shouldn't have been a sandbox, of ludonarrative dissonance, of bad writing, and of Rockstar continuing its crusade of watching "classic" movies and trying to make games out of them. About the only good thing to come out of it was the delightful article over at Eurogamer, where the writer sat his Dad down to play the game with him, who grew up in LA around the time of the events of LA Noire.

Hah, that's pretty awesome! Gonna read the whole thing when I'm off work.

Just saying, though, Rockstar didn't make LA Noire... Team Bondi did.

#99 Edited by Excast (1040 posts) -

The game that really comes to mind is Shadow Madness.

I remember buying this around when it came out when I was really into RPGs. This was during the height of the great Final Fantasy years and I was craving more (no pun intended).

It's just an atrocious game on so many levels. The writing is bad. The battle system is worse. The graphics may be among the worst I can recall seeing on the Playstation. It probably didn't help that this came out alongside classics like Final Fantasy 9.

It doesn't really shock me that there is basically no information about the game on the site. Some things are better left unknown.

#100 Posted by Devil240Z (3431 posts) -

@dudeglove said:

@sharkethic said:
@dudeglove said:

Hah, that's pretty awesome! Gonna read the whole thing when I'm off work.

Just saying, though, Rockstar didn't make LA Noire... Team Bondi did.

I kind of want to play LA Noire again now.