What are some of your favorite survival horror games.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By falserelic

What are some of the best and most memorable horror games you have played. Some of my favorite survival horror games are...... 
Silent Hill 
Silent hill 2   
Silent Hill 3
Silent Hill 4-The Room 
Silent Hill:Orgins
Extermination 
Resident Evil 
Resident Evil Remake (For the Gamecube)  
 Resident Evil 2  
Resident Evil 3  
Resident Evil:Code Veronica   
Dead Space  
Alone in the Dark  
I had played other survival Horror games.But the ones I listed are some of my favorites.So what are some of your favorite survival Horror games?

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#2  Edited By Icemael

Project Zero and Eternal Darkness are both great. Project Zero 2 and 3 are out of this world.

All other survival horror games I've played have been boring. The pre-RE4 Resident Evils? Not scary in the least, and the terrible controls make them a pain in the ass to play. The Silent Hill games? I could use them as sleep-aid, and the "amazing narratives" are, as in practically all games with supposedly amazing narratives, absolute horseshit.

I'm not counting games like Resident Evil 4 and Dead Space as survival horror, by the way.

fearthephins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By fearthephins

I'm a chicken... I don't play scary/horror games XD

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By blueduck

Resident Evil Remake for the GameCube is awesome. Resident Evil Zero is cool too.

Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

Silent Hill, the original. Nothing can beat that man. Nothing.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By guiseppe

Resident Evil 4 and Dead Space. Oh, and the REmake. I don't play a lot of survival horror games, but RE4 is one of my favorite games of all time, even if it has much less focus on horror. I still think it counts.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Joeyoe31

Amnesia, anything by frictional games really. 

Fear is the induced emotion when you are defenseless or can't do anything. This is where Frictional games takes off because your characters aren't super hardcore badasses with guns that can kill every monster you find. They are weaklings who will die in about One-Two hits. You are also defenseless meaning you have to run from every fight or try sneaking around the monsters. 

After playing one of their games I felt that all other horror games weren't real horror games. Yes they had scary parts but when it came to combat you were more then well equipped to combat them.

But I do still enjoy the Silent Hill series or the Early Resident Evil stuff.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8  Edited By LordXavierBritish

Can I  just say Left 4 Dead? 

I'm going to say Left 4 Dead. You can't stop me. No one can.

CatalystX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#9  Edited By CatalystX

The older PS1 and PS2 Silent Hill games (1,2,3). Lately, I've been finding Amnesia: The Dark Descent very good (got it off steam during the sale). Provides some great atmosphere and good scares. I also didn't mind the PS3 Siren game. Fatal Frame 2 is another good one, although it started getting really repetitive about half way through.
august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By august

No Caption Provided
blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By blueduck
@LordXavierBritish said:
" Can I  just say Left 4 Dead?  I'm going to say Left 4 Dead. You can't stop me. No one can. "
I would say that if you're playing the Pc version against real people playing as the zombies LFD2 is the scariest game out there. The xbox live versus is extremely sub par.
FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By FancySoapsMan
@august:  This.
falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By falserelic
@blueduck: I played Resident Evil 0 aswell.The game overall for me was alright.I hated the partner system and the fact that you have to leave your weapons behind.It really made me mad at times.Because if I forgot an Item that I placed in a room.I would have to go all the way back to go pick it up. 
Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#14  Edited By Sin4profit
falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By falserelic
@JoyfullOFrockets: I agree the original Silent Hill was the most scariest horror game I've played.  
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#16  Edited By BeachThunder
System Shock 2 -  Just a generally amazing game all around. In terms of horror, if I were to pick a standout 'moment', it would be the audio logs; the voice acting was great and the logs really gave you a sense of what happened and how each character reacted in the situation.
Amnesia - It doesn't get any scarier than this, well, at least until Frictional's next game. I think they absolutely nailed the sense of horror here - I was having nightmares even before I encountered a single enemy.
Penumbra 1 and 2 - The second and third scariest games (pity the third Penumbra game wasn't that scary or, in fact, any good =/). I did like the Penumbra story more than Amnesia's story.
Cryostasis - I've been informed that this was supposed to be a scary game, but I didn't find it scary at all (ok, a couple of parts were kind of scary...). Regardless, if we're classing this as horror then it would be on my list, not because it was scary, but because of the story. This would definitely be up there with some of the most interesting story telling in any game.
Dead Space - Once again, not particularly scary, in fact, I think they completely botched the horror in this game. However, I think it was still a really enjoyable and well designed game (I've played through it twice and I'm considering a third playthough before the sequel is released.)
blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By blueduck
@falserelic said:
" @blueduck: I played Resident Evil 0 aswell.The game overall for me was alright.I hated the partner system and the fact that you have to leave your weapons behind.It really made me mad at times.Because if I forgot an Item that I placed in a room.I would have to go all the way back to go pick it up.  "
Yeah I felt the same way but I think what it was was that when they made the game they thought they needed something new to sell the game with. The reason I liked the game was because it was so much like the RE remake on the gamecube all the new stuff they added just got in the way. I'm really hopping they stopped making REs like 5 and go back to the old way.
falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By falserelic

Siren:Blood Curse that game pissed me off alot.The story in that game was so damn confusing and makes no sense.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By MysteriousBob
@blueduck said:
" @falserelic said:
" @blueduck: I played Resident Evil 0 aswell.The game overall for me was alright.I hated the partner system and the fact that you have to leave your weapons behind.It really made me mad at times.Because if I forgot an Item that I placed in a room.I would have to go all the way back to go pick it up.  "
Yeah I felt the same way but I think what it was was that when they made the game they thought they needed something new to sell the game with. The reason I liked the game was because it was so much like the RE remake on the gamecube all the new stuff they added just got in the way. I'm really hopping they stopped making REs like 5 and go back to the old way. "
Go back to the old way of tedious shit gameplay? Great idea, I'm sure Capcom would love to stop receiving critical acclaim. 

RE4 was the first good game in that previously awful series. Capcom needs to keep the course. The only problem with them is that they're not scary whatsoever. But when games are that great, who gives a shit?
Avatar image for deactivated-594be97fd5af7
deactivated-594be97fd5af7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Silent Hill Shattered Memories is pretty good, especially when you're running and suddenly a monster catches up with you and static noise is blasting out of the Wii Remote and ohGODgetthemoffofme.

There were a fair few decent horror games on the PS2; the first two Siren games were pretty interesting, and I enjoyed Clock Tower 3 and Haunting Ground/Demento too.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By falserelic
@blueduck: I agree,I hope capcom can bring the Resident Evil series back to its roots. 
blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By blueduck
@MysteriousBob said:
" @blueduck said:
" @falserelic said:
Yeah I felt the same way but I think what it was was that when they made the game they thought they needed something new to sell the game with. The reason I liked the game was because it was so much like the RE remake on the gamecube all the new stuff they added just got in the way. I'm really hopping they stopped making REs like 5 and go back to the old way. "
Go back to the old way of tedious shit gameplay? Great idea, I'm sure Capcom would love to stop receiving critical acclaim.  RE4 was the first good game in that previously awful series. Capcom needs to keep the course. The only problem with them is that they're not scary whatsoever. But when games are that great, who gives a shit? "
Looks like this kid hates personal opinions, umadbro? I didn't say RE4 was bad but I am willing to say RE5 was total crap. As for RE of the past, I love them.
JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By JoeyRavn
falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By falserelic
@JoeyRavn: I played deadly premonition too.The game was overall fun.But at times the driving sections and conversations can drag on.
spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#25  Edited By spankingaddict

I've played a lot of horror games, Re4 and Re2 are atop of that list, imo...

Avatar image for raccoonusdoodus
raccoonusdoodus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By raccoonusdoodus

Silent Hill 1-4 and Shattered Memories
Resident Evil 1-4 + RE0 and REmake
Fatal Frame 1 and 2
Eternal Darkness 
Dead Space (though I consider it more 'action-horror', but whatever)
Can't think of anything else at the moment, but these are definitely my favorite horror games. And nothing will ever top Silent Hill 2.
Also, I did not include RE5 not because I don't like it, it's actually one of my favorite games of all time and I've played through it about 16 times, but rather because it's a third person shooter. Just because it has the title "Resident Evil" does not mean it's trying to be a horror game. That game is just straight up action.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

The old Resident Evil games are fucking great. End of story. The first Silent Hill is my favorite out of the series, but I also really love 2, Homecoming, and what I played of Shattered Memories (which I should really go back and finish some time soon. 3 is alright, 4 I did not care for, and Origins I have never played.

Alone in the Dark 4 was a pretty excellent and exceptionally creepy survival horror game. 
ObsCure 1 and 2 for the PS2 are also good fun, especially with a friend. I would like to see that series continue on modern consoles.

I have not yet played the full game of Amnesia, which I bought during the Steam holiday sales, but the demo was super intense and way scarier than I was expecting it to be, so I'm looking forward to playing the full thing. I also picked up the Penumbra pack, which I started but haven't gotten far in. Like it a lot so far, though. Frictional has a real knack for making great horror games.

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Sayishere

i would say the silent hill series
resident evil series

dead space

and newly i played amnesia dark descent, very scary indeed

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29  Edited By Yanngc33

Dead Space probably scared me the most. The scene at the beginning of the game where you walk into a hallway and you see on the other side a dude back to you hitting hgis head against the wall still haunts my dreams
Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Marcsman

Bioshock 
Dino Crisis
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#32  Edited By Jeust
  • Resident Evil Remake
  • Resident Evil 2
  • Resident Evil 3
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Cold Fear
  • Dead Space
  • Silent Hill 2
  • Silent Hill 4
  • Silent Hill Shattered Memories
  • Deadly Premonition
  • Alone in the Dark (2008)
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33  Edited By crusader8463
Deadly Premonition is the closest thing to a horror game I have ever seen more then 10 minutes of and didn't get bored. I played all of RE 5 one afternoon, but I didn't like it.
Deeveeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Deeveeus
@blueduck: That RE1 remake was pretty damn awesome!! I loved the original back in the day, but that game was better in EVERY way

I hear the Silent Hill remake has quite the ending as well! 

Amnesia right now is my fave, that game will make you shit yourself!! I had to turn it off the other night after a while, I was gettin the Heeby Jeebies! 
bibledoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By bibledoctor

Resident Evil series
Dead Space 
Katamari Damacy
Silent Hill series 
Amnesia 

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#36  Edited By Jeust
@Deeveeus said:
" @blueduck: That RE1 remake was pretty damn awesome!! I loved the original back in the day, but that game was better in EVERY way I hear the Silent Hill remake has quite the ending as well!   Amnesia right now is my fave, that game will make you shit yourself!! I had to turn it off the other night after a while, I was gettin the Heeby Jeebies!  "
Weakling. I can't see what is so scary about Amnesia. :p
falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By falserelic
@Marcsman: I agree,Dino crisis was an aswome Survival Horror game.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By iam3green

resident evil 2
resident evil 4
resident evil 5
left 4 dead 1
left 4 dead 2

my favorite that i can think of. i think that is the only resident evil games that i played.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#39  Edited By BeachThunder
@BibleDoctor said:
"Katamari Damacy"
No Caption Provided
LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#40  Edited By LackingSaint

System Shock 2, Silent Hill 2 and Resident Evil 4 stick out in my mind as excellent survival horror games.

VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#41  Edited By VanderSEXXX
@JoyfullOFrockets said:
" Silent Hill, the original. Nothing can beat that man. Nothing. "
Although I agree with this I cannot discredit other good survival horror games like Dead Space, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., & Fatal Frame 2. But definitely my 1st experience with the 1st Silent definitely was the scariest ever.