• 101 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
#1 Edited by Shun_Akiyama (490 posts) -

Good:
Yakuza 3
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
Saints row: the third 
Tekken 3
Metal Gear Soild 3
Persona 3 
ES3 Morrowind

Super Mario Bros. 3
Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos
Grand Theft Auto III
 
Resistance 3
Prince of Persia: Two Thrones
Gears of War 3
  Splinter Cell 3 
Street Fighter 3
Wipeout 3
Mega Man Star Force 3  
SSX 3
 
Amped 3
 
Devil May Cry 3
 
Forza 3
 

-Sonic the Hedgehog 3

-Heroes of Might and Magic III

-Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition

-Burnout 3: Takedown

-Road Rash 3

-SimCity 3000

-Caesar III

-Shinobi III



Bad ((or at least not nearly as good as the previous game)): 
Rockband 3 
Uncharted 3
Mass Effect 3 
Dungeon Siege 3
Disgaea 3 
The 3rd birthday  
Ar Tonelico 3 
Master of Orion 3

Star Control 3
Modern Warfare 3 
Doom 3
Contra 3
Mega Man 3  
Twisted Metal 3
 
Streets of Rage 3
 
Donkey Kong Country 3

Phantasy Star III

-Final Fantasy III

-Myst III: Exile

Add to that or argue these placements
#2 Posted by DonChipotle (2693 posts) -

Persona 3 should be in the bad section if you are going by the criteria in the parenthesis.

#3 Posted by GooieGreen (453 posts) -

Disagree about Disgaea 3; the story is just as good as the others (and still way better than Disgaea 4).

#4 Posted by Shun_Akiyama (490 posts) -
@DonChipotle said:

Persona 3 should be in the bad section if you are going by the criteria in the parenthesis.

I'm playing Persona 2 on my PSP right now and I think it's terrible compared to 3 and 4.
#5 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

lol... not nearly as good.

well i disagree with RB3, UC3 and ME3 but each to his own i guess

#6 Posted by DonChipotle (2693 posts) -

@Shun_Akiyama said:

@DonChipotle said:

Persona 3 should be in the bad section if you are going by the criteria in the parenthesis.

I'm playing Persona 2 on my PSP right now and I think it's terrible compared to 3 and 4.

Persona 2 is the best in the Persona series.

#7 Posted by Kidavenger (3484 posts) -
#8 Posted by Still_I_Cry (2494 posts) -

I haven't played many of the bad games, I guess I would remove ME3 from that list but I have only played the demo thus far.

#9 Posted by Shun_Akiyama (490 posts) -
@Bell_End said:

lol... not nearly as good.

well i disagree with RB3, UC3 and ME3 but each to his own i guess

Those games are not bad at all but not as good as the previous ones.
 
@DonChipotle said:

@Shun_Akiyama said:

@DonChipotle said:

Persona 3 should be in the bad section if you are going by the criteria in the parenthesis.

I'm playing Persona 2 on my PSP right now and I think it's terrible compared to 3 and 4.

Persona 2 is the best in the Persona series.


Tell me why because I'm like 20 hours in and finding it boring and combat completely trival.
#10 Edited by believer258 (11555 posts) -

Resistance 3 is far and away the best in that series.

Modern Warfare 3's campaign isn't as good as the first two MW's. Battlefield 3 is the third single player campaign that the Battlefield series has and (from what I hear) it's not really good at all.

#11 Posted by Shun_Akiyama (490 posts) -
@GooieGreen said:

Disagree about Disgaea 3; the story is just as good as the others (and still way better than Disgaea 4).

Well Disgaea 2 is the best one in the series and to be in the good column, it has to be better than the previous game.
#12 Edited by Shun_Akiyama (490 posts) -
@Kidavenger: @believer258
added to the list
 
also your going to have to fight me on RE3.
#13 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

@Shun_Akiyama said:

@Bell_End said:

lol... not nearly as good.

well i disagree with RB3, UC3 and ME3 but each to his own i guess

Those games are not bad at all but not as good as the previous ones.

@DonChipotle said:

@Shun_Akiyama said:

@DonChipotle said:

Persona 3 should be in the bad section if you are going by the criteria in the parenthesis.

I'm playing Persona 2 on my PSP right now and I think it's terrible compared to 3 and 4.

Persona 2 is the best in the Persona series.

Tell me why because I'm like 20 hours in and finding it boring and combat completely trival.

why didnt you think RB3 was as good as RB2. i loved the new thing they added. what was it that made you think it wasnt nearly as good.

#14 Edited by DonChipotle (2693 posts) -

@Shun_Akiyama said:

@Bell_End said:

lol... not nearly as good.

well i disagree with RB3, UC3 and ME3 but each to his own i guess

Those games are not bad at all but not as good as the previous ones.

@DonChipotle said:

@Shun_Akiyama said:

@DonChipotle said:

Persona 3 should be in the bad section if you are going by the criteria in the parenthesis.

I'm playing Persona 2 on my PSP right now and I think it's terrible compared to 3 and 4.

Persona 2 is the best in the Persona series.

Tell me why because I'm like 20 hours in and finding it boring and combat completely trival.

Because of the narrative and how much it feels more like a Megaten game. It has a great story that is as interesting as it is thought provoking and the rumor system is done well, especially in Eternal Punishment (which is better than Innocent Sin). The combat is better than Persona 3 as is the narrative pacing. Maya is also a better character than the entire cast of Persona 3 who were made up of a bunch of unlikable and unrealistic caricatures.

I'm not saying Persona 3 is a bad game, I'm just saying that it is not as good as its predecessors.

#15 Posted by Vorbis (2749 posts) -

Personally:

Disgaea 2 was the worst in the series, the characters were all terrible. Mass Effect 3 was better than 2, but both far worse than 1. Resident Evil 3 was nothing on 2.

It's all opinions, no right or wrong answer.

#16 Posted by wewantsthering (1545 posts) -

Most of those games on your "bad" list are not bad games. Not as well received as the second one? Sure, but Uncharted 3, Mass Effect 3, are not bad games. They simply didn't do anything better than the previous one so people were disappointed.

#17 Posted by Shun_Akiyama (490 posts) -
@Bell_End
They ruined the character creator
locked away clothes and stuff to very expensive pro instruments only.
Songs on disk where not as good as RB2's
If you bought the keyboard, there were like 6 songs that actually use it.
The world tour mode was waaay better in RB2.
#18 Edited by James_Giant_Peach (751 posts) -

I will give you my 3 best 3 games and my 3 worst 3 games. 3 times 3 isn't 3 it's 9, but 3 plus 3 minus 3 will give you 3.

Best 3:

Metal Gear Solid 3

Tekken 3

Mother 3

Worst 3:

Doom 3

Contra 3

Mega Man 3

#19 Posted by TobbRobb (4549 posts) -

You can add Prince of Persia: Two Thrones to the worse than previous games list.

It was better than Warrior Within but nothing fucking beats Sands of Time.

#20 Posted by Shun_Akiyama (490 posts) -
@wewantsthering said:

Most of those games on your "bad" list are not bad games. Not as well received as the second one? Sure, but Uncharted 3, Mass Effect 3, are not bad games. They simply didn't do anything better than the previous one so people were disappointed.

That's why I put whats in those parenthesis there. Yes those games are not bad, but they are not as good.
#21 Edited by TentPole (1858 posts) -
#22 Posted by Shun_Akiyama (490 posts) -
@TobbRobb said:

You can add Prince of Persia: Two Thrones to the worse than previous games list.

It was better than Warrior Within but nothing fucking beats Sands of Time.

Well in this list the 1st and the 4th do not count. It's just going from #2 to # 3.
By saying two thrones is better than WW ((which i agree with)) would put it in the good section.
#23 Posted by TobbRobb (4549 posts) -

@DonChipotle: I don't really think a you are in a majority with that opinion. But I'll not disagree with you myself since I haven't played Persona 2.

If it's more similar to the 1 then 3 though, then I probably wouldn't like it.

#24 Posted by Turambar (6631 posts) -

What you are using to describe a bad #3 game is wildly different between the actual post and the thread title.

#25 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

so which are the worst ones then

#26 Posted by Shun_Akiyama (490 posts) -
@TobbRobb said:

@DonChipotle: I don't really think a you are in a majority with that opinion. But I'll not disagree with you myself since I haven't played Persona 2.

If it's more similar to the 1 then 3 though, then I probably wouldn't like it.

Yeah, I'm playing right now on my psp. I'm not liking it at all, it's nothing like 3 and 4.
#27 Edited by Chaser324 (6249 posts) -

Civilization III can go in the bad section...it's not necessarily a bad game, but definitely the weakest in the franchise.

Gears of War 3 is probably the best in that franchise.

Moderator Online
#28 Posted by Shun_Akiyama (490 posts) -
@Turambar said:
What you are using to describe a bad #3 game is wildly different between the actual post and the thread title.
oh well
#29 Posted by GunstarRed (4992 posts) -

@Shun_Akiyama:

Rock Band 3 is a much, much better game than 2. I've never been big on messing with the character creation stuff, but there's a ton of songs that use the keyboard, over half of them do infact and if you bought the game at release they gave away all the Doors songs which were really keyboard heavy.

The songs on the disc is all down to personal taste. I personally think that both 2 and 3 have an equal amount of bad and good songs, but if you were buying RB3 there was a pretty high chance you owned one or more of the existing games plus dlc so it really doesn't matter what one had better songs.

World tour has always been a slog and they just made it simpler, if you want to put time into that game theres like a billion challenges instead.

#30 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -
#31 Posted by DonChipotle (2693 posts) -

@TobbRobb said:

@DonChipotle: I don't really think a you are in a majority with that opinion. But I'll not disagree with you myself since I haven't played Persona 2.

If it's more similar to the 1 then 3 though, then I probably wouldn't like it.

I realize I am in the majority because for a lot of people Persona 3 was their entry point to the Persona series. Persona 3 doesn't feel like a Megaten game and that's one of my problems with it. Well, that and the characters. Even the early Persona games felt like a natural offshoot of the main series, It is SMT in name only. Persona 2 is similar to the first in the sense that it is 2D characters. You aren't running around dungeons in first person. You do talk to demons to recruit them. It also has a better battle system because your party members aren't limited to a single Persona. More flexibility and strategy, especially once you start playing around with fusion spells.

#32 Edited by JackSukeru (5897 posts) -

Castlevania 3 is my favorite Castlevania game, so there's that.

Edit:@TentPole: oh hey, someone else that is both smart and beautiful I'm sure.

#33 Edited by SomeDeliCook (2203 posts) -

Wait how is Rock Band 3 bad or 'not as good as the previous games'?

It added another instrument and another difficutly and let you import all the Rock Band 1 and 2 music PLUS all the DLC you bought for them. Also, all the tracks were unlocked from the beginning instead of having to play a 'career' mode. AND you can save your own playlists so you could not have to deal with the songs you hated every music rhythm game came with.

Now Guitar Hero 3, THAT was a shit game all around, and a terrible sequel.

#34 Posted by Shun_Akiyama (490 posts) -
@GunstarRed said:

@Shun_Akiyama:

Rock Band 3 is a much, much better game than 2. I've never been big on messing with the character creation stuff, but there's a ton of songs that use the keyboard, over half of them do infact and if you bought the game at release they gave away all the Doors songs which were really keyboard heavy.

The songs on the disc is all down to personal taste. I personally think that both 2 and 3 have an equal amount of bad and good songs, but if you were buying RB3 there was a pretty high chance you owned one or more of the existing games plus dlc so it really doesn't matter what one had better songs.

World tour has always been a slog and they just made it simpler, if you want to put time into that game theres like a billion challenges instead.

I'm a bit crazy but the character creation was like half the reason I loved rockband games.
#35 Posted by Kidavenger (3484 posts) -

From a story perspective, Resident Evil 2 had a plausible, interesting and scary story, Resident Evil 3 was much less interesting what I played of it and lost a lot of the jump scares from 2. I also just thought Nemesis was a completely dumb concept.

Game play didn't evolve at all between 2 and 3.

RE2 and RE4 are the games that anchor the franchise, 3 just felt like a stop gap/money grab.

For the list I will submit Street Fighter 3 for the bad, I really don't know a lot about the series, but I played the hell out of SF2 and never would even had know SF3 existed had SF4 not come out.

#36 Posted by DonChipotle (2693 posts) -

@Shun_Akiyama said:

@TobbRobb said:

@DonChipotle: I don't really think a you are in a majority with that opinion. But I'll not disagree with you myself since I haven't played Persona 2.

If it's more similar to the 1 then 3 though, then I probably wouldn't like it.

Yeah, I'm playing right now on my psp. I'm not liking it at all, it's nothing like 3 and 4.

Of course it is nothing like 3 and 4. 3 and 4 are wildly different, and not for the better. It's more like SMT3.

#37 Posted by Kidavenger (3484 posts) -

@Chaser324 said:

Civilization III can go in the bad section...it's not necessarily a bad game, but definitely the weakest in the franchise.

Civ 3 was better than 1 and 2 though, based on that it would go under the good even though it is clearly worst than 4 and 5.

#38 Posted by LordAndrew (14417 posts) -
Mega Man 3 is at least as good as 2. Screw the haters! (Everything after that might as well not exist though.)
#39 Posted by Chaser324 (6249 posts) -

@Kidavenger: Meh...I kinda think Civ 2 is superior to 3.

Moderator Online
#40 Posted by TobbRobb (4549 posts) -

@DonChipotle: So it really boils down to opinions then. If they really are nothing alike, then there is no point in arguing which is better.

This reminds me a little of people saying the first three resident evil games being better than RE4.

I agree with neither them or you.

#41 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

Hmm, the most questionable one on your bad list is actually CIV III.

#42 Edited by TentPole (1858 posts) -
#43 Posted by egg (1452 posts) -

-better than predecessors

Street Fighter 3

Wipeout 3

Mega Man Star Force 3

-not as good as predecessors

Mega Man X3

#44 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11413 posts) -

@Kidavenger said:

Bad

Master of Orion 3

Star Control 3

Someone needs a high five. Also a slap for reminding me that I totally have Master of Orion 3 in my GOG library because I bought it so I could "know for myself". An hour later I was on the ground, sobbing uncontrollably as the game played itself without my help.

Thankfully, I did not make the same mistake with Star Control, even though the FMV hell nature of it is so utterly tempting.

#45 Edited by TentPole (1858 posts) -
#46 Posted by Shun_Akiyama (490 posts) -
@Kidavenger said:

From a story perspective, Resident Evil 2 had a plausible, interesting and scary story, Resident Evil 3 was much less interesting what I played of it and lost a lot of the jump scares from 2. I also just thought Nemesis was a completely dumb concept.

Game play didn't evolve at all between 2 and 3.

RE2 and RE4 are the games that anchor the franchise, 3 just felt like a stop gap/money grab.

For the list I will submit Street Fighter 3 for the bad, I really don't know a lot about the series, but I played the hell out of SF2 and never would even had know SF3 existed had SF4 not come out.

I'd argue there are more iconic moments in RE3 With the train and the hospital and stuff than RE2.  I'd say the Nemesis is more iconic than William Birken.  RE2 does have the first time you see the police department and stuff, RE2 is a very good game. I'd say they are equal. 
#47 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

Why is Uncharted 3 there?

#48 Posted by DonChipotle (2693 posts) -

@TobbRobb said:

@DonChipotle: So it really boils down to opinions then. If they really are nothing alike, then there is no point in arguing which is better.

Where's the fun in that?

#49 Posted by Shun_Akiyama (490 posts) -
#50 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -