What Are The Best Game Engines Of This Generation?

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

Found this interesting article on IGN: The best Game Engines Of This Generation.  I thought I would pose the simple question here. What do you think are the best and why?

On PC I would have to go with CryEngine2/3, given my own experience with the engine. On the console side of things, even though it's not even out yet, I reckon whatever engine Bayonetta is using on 360. I know it's out on PS3 also, but I've only seen footage of the 360 version to my knowledge, and some of that footage has left me truly astonished. The framerate given all the stuff that's happening on screen is insane.

Dragon Age Eclipse Engine on PC deserves an honourary mention too from what I can make out.

CoD4's engine deserves praise simply because of it's quality across the board. It runs well on all formats. I think Infinity Ward found a good balance with that game. I hope that's the case with MW2 also.

Thoughts?

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Fallen189

dook nookum.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Source is still a solid engine, and Valve keep updating it as time goes by.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By JJOR64

Easily MT Framework.

EDIT:  MT Framework isn't on there?  Wow......

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Drebin_893

Whatever powered MGS4.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Linkyshinks
@MattyFTM said:
" Source is still a solid engine, and Valve keep updating it as time goes by. "

I feel guilty now, I should have mentioned that along with CoD4's, as any good Valve fan should :/
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Diamond

Naughty Dog's stuff for sure.  Techland's Infinity Engine (or whatever they call it), that powers the Call of Juarez games is really amazing and efficient.  CryEngine 2 is just capable of nice high end stuff, but I have little doubt someone could make a high end engine more efficiently.

But I agree with IGN that Just Cause 2 looks amazing.  IW engine is also great.  UE3 only looks good in Gears 2 and Mirror's Edge so far.  Assassin's Creed 2 might be impressive too.

MT Framework is decent, only really being great when you consider how amazing RE5 looks for the performance, but I think that's largely masterful artwork as opposed to technical prowess.

I noticed with upgrading my computer in regards to Source engine, the engine really isn't that great.  My old computer would choke on newer Source engine games (Half Life 2 ran fine, but the upgrades weren't so great), Source engine games don't perform great on consoles.  Basically somewhere there's a line in performance where you go from 'works bad' to 'works great', not a gradual curve.

I'm really worried about Dragon Age's engine.  I have a feeling that it might be one horrible engine.  With the performance of stuff like NWN2 when it came out, and how they're recommending Quad for DA, and how ugly the game looks in screens and videos.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By jakob187

I really hope that no one tries to say "UNREAL ENGINE 3".  Such a poorly optimized engine with a very bad reputation.

Personally, I don't give a shit what engine something is running on, as long as the game works well with it and a great game is made because of it.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By Claude

I like the Gamebryo Engine, so I'll go with that.

Etansit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Etansit

RAGE, EGO, Deferred Rendering, Naughty Dog, Forza Motorsport and of course cryENGINE 3 all never cease to amaze me, when I see them at work on their respective titles.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Linkyshinks
@Diamond said:
" Naughty Dog's stuff for sure.  Techland's Infinity Engine (or whatever they call it), that powers the Call of Juarez games is really amazing and efficient.  CryEngine 2 is just capable of nice high end stuff, but I have little doubt someone could make a high end engine more efficiently.But I agree with IGN that Just Cause 2 looks amazing.  IW engine is also great.  UE3 only looks good in Gears 2 and Mirror's Edge so far.  Assassin's Creed 2 might be impressive too.MT Framework is decent, only really being great when you consider how amazing RE5 looks for the performance, but I think that's largely masterful artwork as opposed to technical prowess.I noticed with upgrading my computer in regards to Source engine, the engine really isn't that great.  My old computer would choke on newer Source engine games (Half Life 2 ran fine, but the upgrades weren't so great), Source engine games don't perform great on consoles.  Basically somewhere there's a line in performance where you go from 'works bad' to 'works great', not a gradual curve.I'm really worried about Dragon Age's engine.  I have a feeling that it might be one horrible engine.  With the performance of stuff like NWN2 when it came out, and how they're recommending Quad for DA, and how ugly the game looks in screens and videos. "

Yea, Source is actually quite demanding now. the simplicity on the surface is no longer reflected in the performance. [apol bold text glitch] Still got a soft spot for it though.

@jakob187 said:
" I really hope that no one tries to say "UNREAL ENGINE 3".  Such a poorly optimized engine with a very bad reputation.

Personally, I don't give a shit what engine something is running on, as long as the game works well with it and a great game is made because of it.
"

Yea, I understand that sentiment, but I wonder, maybe developers would say that it is, after all, they sure do use it often, rightly or wrongly. I have this opinion that UE3 games look samey, and think GoW influence plays large role in that.

Creating a great engine allows developers to fully realize their imagination better, with less restrictions, it''s for that reason I always welcome advances of any sort. I wanna see crazy games in the future. At the same time I do agree that if it runs well you got nothing to complain about. It also depends of the aims of the game, what the game is attempting to do.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By jakob187
@Linkyshinks said:
"@jakob187 said:
" I really hope that no one tries to say "UNREAL ENGINE 3".  Such a poorly optimized engine with a very bad reputation.

Personally, I don't give a shit what engine something is running on, as long as the game works well with it and a great game is made because of it."
Yea, I understand that sentiment, but I wonder, maybe developers would say that it is, after all, they sure do use it often, rightly or wrongly. I have this opinion that UE3 games look samey, and think GoW influence plays large role in that."
Well, you have to remember that UE3 was positioned in the early phases of this generation as being THE engine to run your game on.  While games like Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe and Bioshock were able to make good use of the engine, we also have the vast number of horror stories about working with the engine:
  • Dennis Dyack's difficulties in getting proper support, leading to a complete overhaul and original engine being built...then a lawsuit
  • Midway's continued struggles with UE3 on their titles, leading to the delays on Stranglehold, Area 51: Blacksite, and Wheelman...and their eventual failures both critically and financially
  • Square Enix's numerous delays for Final Fantasy XIII, as well as little to no information for XIII Versus
  • UT3 mod community speaking out about how bad of an engine UE3 is compared to UE2

I mean, those are only a FEW major instances that have been spoken about and even documented (and I strongly believe that most of Midway's budgetary and financial issues stem from their use of UE3...amongst a handful of other things).

In essence, it's a bad engine.  A couple of companies were capable of taking advantage of it, but it seems that only the titles with a TON of hype around them get the proper support.
Manachild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Manachild

I dont think FF13 actually runs on UE3. I'm pretty sure its crystal tools engine. 

But i agree with what you are saying. Not to mention UE3 seems to have that weird texture load in problem when you first load an area.
Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38
@Linkyshinks: I wouldn't say that the Source engine is becoming more demanding based on one factor: It's growing relative to the technology of the userbase. Valve is constantly doing surveys to find out what sort of rigs people own and they modify the Source engine accordingly, trying their hardest not to alienate a majority of users. I can still run Episode 2 on decent settings on my crappy 6 year old HP. On my new machine (q6600, 4gig ram, 8800gt, Vista [!] not exactly the greatest pc) I can run every Source powered games on max settings at 1920x1440. I would say that the Source engine is still just about the most optimized engine for the performance it gives.
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Linkyshinks

Yeah, Cliffy B did a great job on the advertising/whoring the engine. I remember that golf game demo.

MidWay certainly fucked up big time with those games. That trio of games got worse with each game. I got Strangle, as a massive fan of John Woo and Hong Kong cinema. Man, it's a shame they used that engine, and that the game was made then, now, using new technology in animation like procedural motion warping, a game like that could play much better. The game was OOT, way too much, it had issues. and I was disappointed.

I actually thought the UT3 engine was great myself, but perhaps it wasn't for the community of modders, and I guess that's all important for that game. It's alright now though I hear.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By crunchUK

Why do people always say source? Valve games don't even look that great... And in a kinda double whammy nerd rage inducing sentence i pick unreal enngine 3.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By 71Ranchero

Unreal 2 engine is the best engine ever made. They should still be using it.

Ping5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#18  Edited By Ping5000
@jakob187: Hold on, isn't FF13 and Versus running on Square-Enix's in-house engine? They just like to make cut-scenes for the hell of it is all.
Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38
@crunchUK said:
" Why do people always say source? Valve games don't even look that great... And in a kinda double whammy nerd rage inducing sentence i pick unreal enngine 3. "
I would say that the Source engine is amazing because:
1: Good graphics without a major hit to performance.
2: Probably one of the most mod-able engines.
3: It has a lot of unlockable potential. The team that made the Fake Factory mod know this first hand. Also, Black Mesa Source is taking advantage of some upgraded graphics.
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Linkyshinks
@Dr_Feelgood38 said:
" @Linkyshinks: I wouldn't say that the Source engine is becoming more demanding based on one factor: It's growing relative to the technology of the userbase. Valve is constantly doing surveys to find out what sort of rigs people own and they modify the Source engine accordingly, trying their hardest not to alienate a majority of users. I can still run Episode 2 on decent settings on my crappy 6 year old HP. On my new machine (q6600, 4gig ram, 8800gt, Vista [!] not exactly the greatest pc) I can run every Source powered games on max settings at 1920x1440. I would say that the Source engine is still just about the most optimized engine for the performance it gives. "

True. I was going to say earlier that at the base line level on PC, (8800GT), it runs fine enough with a decent CPU on board. It has taken a notable shift up in demands though, even with that in mind, but maybe that's due to the impression that L4D imposes, due to the CPU demands for the AI director. Yea, they are considerate, Valve are just like that. and that's why some of us, like em.

baconbits33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By baconbits33

Has everyone forgotten about the Frostbite Engine, omg it is beautiful. I personally didn't like the Red Faction engine cause it felt like I was playing one of the Lego games just with paper walls. The Frostbite Engine was beautiful and the newer version is coming out on the new Battlefield Bad Company and I can't wait to see it!

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Linkyshinks
@baconbits33 said:
" Has everyone forgotten about the Frostbite Engine, omg it is beautiful. I personally didn't like the Red Faction engine cause it felt like I was playing one of the Lego games just with paper walls. The Frostbite Engine was beautiful and the newer version is coming out on the new Battlefield Bad Company and I can't wait to see it! "

It is a great engine, very smooth and peppy despite the physics and the explosions.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Systech

I think that the Frostbite Engine is spectacular.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Pazy
@Dr_Feelgood38 said:
" @crunchUK said:
" Why do people always say source? Valve games don't even look that great... And in a kinda double whammy nerd rage inducing sentence i pick unreal enngine 3. "
I would say that the Source engine is amazing because:1: Good graphics without a major hit to performance.2: Probably one of the most mod-able engines.3: It has a lot of unlockable potential. The team that made the Fake Factory mod know this first hand. Also, Black Mesa Source is taking advantage of some upgraded graphics. "
The graphics right now dont look amazing compared to say Crysis etc. but at the time of release it was an amazing looking game and even now still holds up fairly well, plus TF2 with its technically reasnobly graphics and cartoon/cell-shady style still looks amazing. Plus the things in your list :)
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By The_A_Drain

Yeah because anybody has even heard of anything other than Source, Unreal 3, Cryengine and possibly, possibly the White engine or Frostbite, or some of the DS game engines, but only because they've been in the news recently nobody here actually knows shit all about them.

There are TONS and TONS of game engines, and software that can be combined to make games, but all this thread is gonna do is get posts about the same 3 western engines over and over "Source", "Nah source looks like shit YO", "Unreal", "Nah texture pop YO", "Cryengine", "Nah, all it does are islands dood"

Honestly, if you can reduce the texture pop significantly, as some devs have managed to achieve, Unreal 3 is one of the best, but my personal props have to go to Torque 3D and torque 2D for being such high quality compared to being so damned cheap,, literally couple hundred bucks for a license, I use them they are great.

Although that said, maybe some of the Criware stuff, I mean I don't know a whole lot about it as it's Japanese and info is scarce as to exactly what it all is, from what I can gather they have a couple of different game engines, some physics software, some sound software etc and you license them seperately and mash them togetherr. Either way, those guys middleware is being use in everything from Okami, to Crysis (no kidding) to JRPGs and Street Fighter IV.

And for the record, Source would be the most easily moddable engine around without Steam fucking things up, otherwise that award has to go to Unreal imo.

Edit: I do also agree with LinkyShinks, whatever they are calling the CoD4 engine, that shit needs to be spread around man it's spectacular, smooth, no texture pop, looks great. Given it's in-house with almost no intention of licensing out (I believe it was used on Quantum of Solace though) it's probably an absolute pig to develop for.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Linkyshinks

Perhaps Modern Warfare 2 (MW4.0), might see it used more frequently by other developers. I think the problem is the engine seems very geared to FPS's, and because that, Infinity Ward may not wish to create competition for themselves in the genre.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By asurastrike

The Uncharted engine is pretty amazing.

smokeH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By smokeH

SOURCE, and whatever engine Red Faction plays on. Red faction is just impressive haha. All the destruction and shit is insane if you think about it.