What are the best movies about video games?

ff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Are there very many , even...

duke_of_the_bump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By duke_of_the_bump

Pretty much all documentaries, I'd think. My favorite one is Get Lamp, a documentary about text adventures from 2010. You can watch it for free on YouTube. (the DVD set is still worth getting, though. It's 2 discs in a really lovely case and includes a bonus 50-minute feature that's just about Infocom. It also has a ton of freely available games and interactive fiction tools conveniently on the disc.)

Indie Game: The Movie was cool, I figure most people here are familiar with it. It's on Netflix. Also The King of Kong, but apparently that movie takes some serious liberties with the facts in pursuit of telling a good story. It's really entertaining but you have to take everything with a grain of salt.

Scratching my head trying to think of good fiction movies about games. The only one I can even come up with is "The Wizard", which isn't so much a movie as a 90-minute commercial for Super Mario Brothers 3. If there are any good ones, I'd love to hear about them.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Video Games: The Movie is pretty good, although it glosses over and outright ignores wide swaths of pretty important stuff.

As @duke_of_the_bump says, there's pretty slim pickings fiction-wise.

Ummm... hmm. We Are The Strange is heavily *inspired* by video games, and that movie's great. Definitely not for everybody though, as it's extremely, well, strange. However, it's free (via the guy what made it) on Youtube, so give it a shot. It's at least very game-esque, and even starts with a player select screen.

And of course there's Scott Pilgrim, also heavily inspired by games and also great, with much wider appeal.

taig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

eXistenZ is a Cronenberg ass Cronenberg movie. It is real dumb and fun.

T_wester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ecstasy of Order: The Tetris Masters, is a great documentary about people, that take the greatest game puzzle game pretty goddamm seriously and is definitely worth a watch.

Loading Video...

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Edge of Tomorrow, should have won Best Picture this year.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By whitegreyblack

There are many more documentary-style films about video games that fictional ones, I think. I can't recommend many documentary ones since I have not watched a ton of them; but I thought Indie Game the Movie was enjoyable, and that Video Games: The Movie was woefully inadequate in terms of actually covering the history of games.

As for fictional movies, I can only think of The Wizard and I really like that movie, but that might b due to having major nostalgia-vision on that one.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Corevi

The Dota 2 Documentary Free to Play is surprisingly good and it's free. It does a really good job at showing exactly what professional gaming is.

Loading Video...

grtkbrandon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By grtkbrandon

I really liked Video Games Indie Game: The Movie, but as was mentioned above, it's pretty light on the development side of things. It's essentially a human-interest piece.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Outside of documentaries the pickings for good video game movies is pretty damn slim. I actually thought the recent Prince of Persia movie was okay. (Or at least, I had fun watching it)

Burt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought Free to Play was pretty interesting as someone who hasn't had much exposure to that scene. And I'm pretty sure its free on steam.