#1 Edited by Aegon (5377 posts) -

I do not have a lot of experience with western RPGs other than watching a Dragon Age playthrough a long while ago (although I am in the middle of both Witcher 2 and Reckoning), so it would be nice to be informed on the subject.

Edit: Also, if the games are super old or something, maybe mention if they're on steam or somewhere else.

#2 Edited by Video_Game_King (35800 posts) -

The Temple of Elemental Evil.

#3 Posted by Clonedzero (4038 posts) -

- the fallout series.

- the elder scrolls series

- baulders gate

- planescape tortment

- kotor

- ect. theres alot of them.

#4 Posted by Daveyo520 (6651 posts) -

Fallout 2

Dragon Age

Mass Effect 1 & 2

Kotor

#5 Posted by Danteveli (1157 posts) -

Fallout 1&2

Planescape Torment

Baldurs Gate 1&2

Elder Scrolls series

Might & Magic series

Mass Effect

#7 Posted by Nightriff (4862 posts) -

Dragon Age Origins, Mass Effect Trilogy, Skyrim

#8 Edited by skrutop (3615 posts) -
  • Baldur's Gate 2
  • Fallout 2
  • Planescape: Torment
  • Fallout 3
  • Morrowind
#9 Posted by Pr1mus (3775 posts) -

I hate western RPGs for the most part.

I liked Mass Effect 2 a ton, mostly because it isn't much of an RPG.

#10 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

Surprised no one's mentioned The Witcher 2 yet (I'm 20 hours in and loving it).

So, that, and Fallout 3.

#11 Posted by EXTomar (4444 posts) -

There is something to Ultima 5 but I'm not entirely sure it is playable by today's standards.

#12 Posted by living4theday258 (678 posts) -

FALLOUT 3

#13 Edited by believer258 (11561 posts) -

All right, I'll try *cracks knuckles*. Note that I haven't played all of these but when the term "Western RPG's" come up, this is what comes to mind.

• Baldur's Gate
  • Baldur's Gate 2
  • Icewind Dale
  • Icewind Dale 2
  • Planescape Torment
  • Ultima 5
  • Morrowind
  • Oblivion
  • Skyrim
  • Fallout
  • Fallout 2
  • Fallout 3
  • Fallout New Vegas
  • Fallout Tactics
  • Diablo
  • Diablo 2
  • Knights of the Old Republic
  • Knights of the Old Republic 2
  • Neverwinter Nights
  • Neverwinter Nights 2
  • Dragon Age Origins

...that should be a good starting point.

EDIT: Somehow I forgot The Witcher and The Witcher 2. Also, not tracking down where you can buy all of those. Also, System Shock 2 could potentially be called an RPG. Also, Deus Ex is another one that I somehow forgot. Does Thief 2 have RPG elements?

#14 Edited by Pr1mus (3775 posts) -

Does Deus Ex and DE: Human Revolution count?

If so then those two.

#15 Posted by TAFAE (150 posts) -

Baldur's Gate 2, Planescape: Torment, TES3: Morrowind, Dragon Age: Origins, and KOTOR are what sit atop a great, nearly untouchable pillar for me. Reading the other responses, Diablo II and Witcher II are worthy of mention as well.

#16 Posted by rentfn (1276 posts) -

Neverwinter Nights is the right answer.

#17 Edited by ArbitraryWater (11418 posts) -

"Anything made on the infinity engine" is probably the right answer. I'd also accept Wizardry 8, Fallout 1 and Oblivion.

@video_game_king said:

Also this, though maybe I'd say it's less one of the greatest and more one of my favorites, but same difference.

#18 Posted by MrT (162 posts) -

Gladius was hands down my favorite rpg of all time.

#19 Edited by Disconnect (68 posts) -

"Anything made on the infinity engine" is probably the right answer.

@video_game_king said:

Also this, though maybe I'd say it's less one of the greatest and more one of my favorites, but same difference.

ToEE has the best turn-based combat in recent memory and in that regard it is superior to any other game that uses the D&D rules. That's probably enough to call it "great". Troika's best RPG is Arcanum though.

Dragon Age can suck a dwarf dick straight up.

#20 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5160 posts) -

Inspired thread title; Planescape Torment is supposed to be the best, but who knows. I guess I'd go for any of a number of old roguelikes including Castle of the Winds.

#21 Edited by Galiant (2175 posts) -

I am once again torn between Fallout: New Vegas and Skyrim. Play both!

#22 Edited by audioBusting (1461 posts) -

What everybody said and Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines is a great action/RPG too. I'm not sure if it's the greatest but it's one of my favorites. I guess I'll mention Nethack too.

e: (Bloodlines is on Steam, Nethack is free online).

#23 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

1.Fallout 3

2. Mass Effect Trilogy

3. Skyrim

4. Dragon Age Origins

5. Witcher 2

#25 Posted by Flacracker (1573 posts) -

Fallout 3

THERE are no others

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy. Oh boy, oh man, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh man. Oh man, oh man, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy. Oh god, oh Jesus.

Dragon Age Origins, Mass Effect Trilogy, Skyrim

Oh man, oh man, oh boy, oh god, oh Jesus.

#26 Edited by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

What everybody said and Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines is a great action/RPG too. I'm not sure if it's the greatest but it's one of my favorites. I guess I'll mention Nethack too.

e: (Bloodlines is on Steam, Nethack is free online).

I haven't played V:TM yet, but goddamn is Nethack a deep well. It's interesting to play Nethack with an eye for modern RPG tropes and see a ton of them that existed in early incarnations even way back in the 80s.

#27 Posted by BeachThunder (11637 posts) -

Hm, Law of the West? Not even sure if that's an RPG though.

#28 Posted by SuliPatchouli (18 posts) -

Most of the popular ones can be found at gog.com.

#29 Posted by Icicle7x3 (1169 posts) -

Im going to throw Quest for Glory into the mix, cause why not

#30 Posted by Laiv162560asse (487 posts) -

Baldur's Gate 1&2, Fallout 1&2 and Planescape would be my picks. The Witcher 1 and Fallout: New Vegas came close to making the kind of impact on me as those games did, but marginally fell short of being the same quality of experience. I rate The Witcher 2 as slightly inferior to The Witcher 1 so it would be in the next rung down the pecking order.

#31 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5160 posts) -

Heroes of Might and Magic has experience and therefore is an RPG, thus number 2 is the Best Western RPG (or just one of the new King's Bounty games).

#32 Posted by AiurFlux (901 posts) -

Witcher 1 & 2, Dragon Age: Origins, Mass Effect 1, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, Elder Scrolls: Morrowind, Fallout 1 & 2, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Deus Ex, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Planescape: Torment.

From that list Deus Ex is by far the best. In my opinion of course.

#33 Posted by hidys (1029 posts) -

Right now those I'm actually replaying the KOTOR games. I would argue those are the best entry point into this genre (they were my first ones). The infinity engine stuff should come later as they stuff requires knowlege of Advanced dungeons and dragons 2nd ed. Kotor does use 3rd ed. but it isn't necessary to know that system to enjoy those games.

#34 Posted by TyCobb (1944 posts) -
#35 Posted by pweidman (2282 posts) -

Although I love all these series, these are my picks for what not to miss I guess and contigent upon when they released, in no particular order really(even though they are numbered :) :

1.Mass Effect 2

2. KOTOR 1

3. ES4: Oblivion

4. Fallout: New Vegas

5. The Witcher 2

#36 Posted by MonetaryDread (1987 posts) -

@aegon said:

I do not have a lot of experience with western RPGs other than watching a Dragon Age playthrough a long while ago (although I am in the middle of both Witcher 2 and Reckoning), so it would be nice to be informed on the subject.

Edit: Also, if the games are super old or something, maybe mention if they're on steam or somewhere else.

Do you mean "most impactful," or "best," JRPG's. So for example, people keep going on about Planescape Torment, and for its time it was a great game, but the inclusion of having to find invisible portals ends up with you walking around a large environment pixel-hunting with your mouse.

#37 Edited by MonetaryDread (1987 posts) -

Edit to last post:

I meant WRPG's. The double post is because the site will not let me edit or delete an old post.

#38 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2283 posts) -

Fallout 3 New Vegas

THERE are no others

Fixed that for you.

#39 Posted by armaan8014 (5316 posts) -

Witcher

Witcher

Witcher

Mass effect trilogy

dragon age 1

oblivion

fable 1

#40 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

Dragon Age II
Mass Effect 3
Fallout 3

#42 Edited by rentacop (107 posts) -

Diablo II is my favorite RPG even though it barely fits in the same category as the others listed. This was Blizzard at it's finest.

#43 Posted by frankfartmouth (1016 posts) -

KOTOR is my all-time favorite.

Others that would be high:

Dragon Age: Origins

Mass Effect 2

Skyrim

Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn

I sure miss the old Bioware days.

#44 Posted by Marcsman (3090 posts) -
#45 Posted by jaycrockett (425 posts) -

Temple of Apshai

Legacy of the Ancients

Sword of Fargoall

Bard's Tale

Pool of Radiance

#46 Posted by Flacracker (1573 posts) -

@marcsman said:

@damisterchief said:

Fallout 3

THERE are no others

I have to agree.

Oh god, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh man, oh boy, oh man, oh Jesus.

#47 Edited by crusader8463 (14411 posts) -

For me the big ones were Biowares Baldur's Gate 2, Dragon Age: Origins, and KOTOR. I also loved KOTOR 2 from Obsidian. And City of Heroes for the MMO RPG.

#48 Edited by Aterons (198 posts) -

Probably The Witcher 2... actually the witcher 2 for sure. Dragon age origins, the original witcher , ME2 and Skryim would compete for 2nd place.

#49 Posted by natedawg_kz (234 posts) -

Bethesda never go wrong, Also Obsidan have a really good record

#50 Posted by casper_ (901 posts) -

rogue, wizardry, ultima # whatever, infinity engine stuff, DA:O, morrowind, skyrim blah blah.

i used to like lands of lore and shit like that when i was kid but i don't know if that holds up anymore.