#1 Edited by Kidavenger (3556 posts) -

I've been screwing around on howlongtobeat; I have these memories of playing games for hours on end when I was a kid and I look them up and the average completion time is not very long, at first I was thinking people bullshit their times, but for most current games I look at, the times seem fairly similar to what I'm doing now.

The longest game I could find is Xenoblade Chronicles, they rate it at 68.5 hours

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate 67 hours

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan 66 hours

Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate edition 63 hours

Crusader Kings II 60 hours

Dark Souls 51 hours

Lost Odyssey 51 hours

Final Fantasy XIII 49 hours

Borderlands 2 GOTY edition 48 hours

Star Ocean: The Last Hope 46 hours

Avadon: The Black Fortress 45 hours

Blue Dragon 45 hours

Avernum: Escape from the Pit 44 hours

Ni no Kuni 43 Hours

The Witcher 41 hours

Fallout: New Vegas 31 hours

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 30 hours

Fire Emblem: Awakening 29 hours

Thirty Flights of Loving 30 minutes

#2 Posted by Morningstar (2161 posts) -

Etrian Odyssey 4 took me 72 hours.

#3 Posted by StarFoxA (5157 posts) -

All of the Spiderweb Software games are pretty long. I sank 250 hours into Animal Crossing: New Leaf, but that's not a game that you can complete.

#4 Edited by Kidavenger (3556 posts) -

@starfoxa: people seem to think you can complete animal crossing, I have no idea, never played an animal crossing game.

#5 Posted by Hailinel (24830 posts) -

@starfoxa: people seem to think you can complete animal crossing, I have no idea, never played an animal crossing game.

Animal Crossing has no end. You could conceivably upgrade your house to its largest size, obtain every item that there is in the game (though the inventory is limited, you can still buy any item you've previously owned through a kiosk in the Nooks' shop), and experience every special event on the calendar, but the game never ends.

As for other games, off the top of my head, I spent well over a hundred hours in Xenoblade Chronicles (the most I've put into any individual game in years), about 75 in Fire Emblem: Awakening before I beat the final boss, and about 60 in Final Fantasy XIII.

#6 Edited by Zauzazu (71 posts) -

This is a very subjective question, and the answer will wildly fluctuate depending on people's play styles.

#7 Posted by Dalai (7030 posts) -

It always depends on the style and structure of a game and whether you're a completionist or not. The Elder Scrolls games seem to be some of the longest games to complete for those who want to see everything. Or there's always those games with no ending like Animal Crossing or Minecraft. It can be really subjective.

#8 Edited by ll_Exile_ll (1704 posts) -

Well, the (single player) games I spent the most time in one playthrough are:

Skyrim - 235 hours (with DLC)

Oblivion - 170 hours (with DLC)

Fallout 3 - 110 hours (with DLC)

Fallout New Vegas - 90 hours (without DLC)

Dragon Age Origins - 83 hours (with DLC)

Lost Odyssey - 65 hours

Grand Theft Auto V - 65 hours

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - 62 hours

I could keep going, but I won't.

#9 Edited by mikey87144 (1775 posts) -

Skyrim - 310 hours

Oblivion - 330 hours

#10 Posted by Levius (1137 posts) -

The actual end of a Football Manager game has not yet been defined, but it could last for hundreds of hours, with "new" players constantly being generated. It's basically how long you can last without the program crashing.

#11 Edited by Sterling (2309 posts) -

College Hoops 2K8. I personally have well over 500 hours of play time with this game. So for me, that is the longest game of the generation.

#12 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5515 posts) -

I played Skyrim somewhere around 200 hours across the Pc and 360. Other than that, I've put in 85 into Dark Souls.

#13 Posted by MaxxS (201 posts) -

Cookie Clicker is the longest game of this generation.

#14 Posted by Hayt (284 posts) -

Crusader Kings, Hearts of Iro and UE win the long game race

#15 Posted by BillyMaysRIP (179 posts) -

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Persona 3 or Persona 4, noting the amazingness of the Endurance Run.

HLTB lists Persona 4 Golden at 70 1/2 hours for the plain old story line. P3F (it came out on PS3!) is listed at 81 hours. I put in about 100 hours for each, but they are pretty long games for just the main story part.

#16 Posted by Kedi2 (248 posts) -

I've put over 200 hours into both Skyrim and Oblivion. 100 percenting GTA V took me around 55 hours I think.

#17 Posted by Zlimness (555 posts) -

Witcher 2 - 31 Hours.

Resident Evil 6 - 24 Hours.

#18 Edited by Verendus (348 posts) -

Final Fantasy XIII

It wasn't longest, but the game was so boring and horrible it felt like 150 hours.

#19 Edited by wemibelec90 (1671 posts) -

@billymaysrip said:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Persona 3 or Persona 4, noting the amazingness of the Endurance Run.

HLTB lists Persona 4 Golden at 70 1/2 hours for the plain old story line. P3F (it came out on PS3!) is listed at 81 hours. I put in about 100 hours for each, but they are pretty long games for just the main story part.

Maybe because those technically aren't this generation, being PS2 games? I wouldn't count them, not even their re-releases, either.

The most time I've put into something is probably Dark Souls (150-200 hours spread across X360, PS3, and PC), but that was way more than one playthrough. Skyrim can take an ungodly amount of time, depending on what you consider "completion." Most likely, a JRPG would be the best bet, since those are often LONG and packed with side stuff that make them even longer.

#20 Posted by Morningstar (2161 posts) -

@verendus said:

Final Fantasy XIII

It wasn't longest, but the game was so boring and horrible it felt like 150 hours.

Ouch :P

#21 Posted by SomeJerk (3251 posts) -

100%ing Star Ocean 4.

#22 Posted by Dacnomaniac (442 posts) -

This is a bit open ended, due to the fact that this generation was one of the first ones to introduce mainstream multiplayer. For example:

#23 Edited by Sanious (793 posts) -

Binding Of Isaac - 170 hours. This was pretty much involved in getting everything in the game and just having fun runs in general.

#24 Posted by blackichigo (171 posts) -

@somejerk: I don't know how you did that. Those characters made me want to blow my brains out at about 30 hours in.

#25 Edited by me3639 (1760 posts) -

I know for a fact i may be one of the slowest players on the planet so those times are waaay too generous. I play like Vinny when doing an RPG(finish everything) and like a book, lose myself in the worlds that have been built for my enjoyment. Everyone now a days kind of rushes through a lot of games but as i complete everything i start, im never in a hurry.

And DAO only 40 hours? I think to complete everything it took me like 140.

#26 Posted by Yesiamaduck (1074 posts) -

Thirty Flights Of Loving is only 13minutes ffs

#27 Edited by MikeLemmer (554 posts) -

I imagine Disgaea 3 & 4 took 100+ hours as well, if they're like Disagea 1 & 2.

#28 Edited by Mikemcn (6988 posts) -

How the hell do you beat Dark Souls in 51 hours? I mean, if you used guide i'm sure theres corners you could cut but otherwise your first playthrough should take awhile. I'm 60 hours in with no end in sight.

#29 Posted by mosespippy (4185 posts) -

Why does it matter what the longest games are? Quality is what's important. A long bad game is still a bad game. *looks at Nier*

#30 Posted by Cameron (600 posts) -

Those numbers are weird. You can't beat Crusader Kings II (I guess you could conquer the world, but probably not in 60 hours) and how do you play all of Skyrim in 30 hours?

This was the first generation I didn't play anything obsessively, perhaps because it was the first I had a job throughout. I think Skyrim tops the list for me at about 120 hours over about a year. Second place is probably either P4G or Crusader Kings II.

#31 Posted by Raven10 (1791 posts) -

Let's first assume you are only counting games with a definite end, as something like Call of Duty or LOL you could play for thousands of hours. Then let's remove the big turn based strategy games like EU and Total War as "beating" those games can have multiple meanings and you might end up 50 hours into a game only to lose and have to start over. If you count EU, conquering the entire world would probably take several hundred hours and it would probably take you several dozen attempts to do that.

Removing those from the list, the next question is are you talking just main story arc or a close to 100% playthrough? Playing through just the required missions to get to the end credits of Oblivion probably wouldn't take more than 20 hours, but beating even 80% of the quests would probably take you well over 100. I personally spent about 60 hours on Dragon Age: Origins which I think was a pretty quick playthrough since I didn't spend much time reading the codex and I tended to click through a lot of the VO once I read the text, so I'm sure someone could easily spend 100 hours on the game.

The Witcher also probably took me a good 50 hours or so. Not sure on that one since I didn't play it on Steam and the game doesn't keep track of total play time as far as I know.

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head but I haven't played all the JRPG's you listed.

#32 Edited by Jayzilla (2562 posts) -

MMOs can be infinite and vary due to attention spans. Way too subjective a question. Heck, Both Elder Scrolls games that came out this gen could technically be considered "endless" due to how you can make content for them. So, an MMO or an Elder Scrolls game is your best bet?

#33 Posted by jasbir (107 posts) -

Lost Odyssey - 65 hours

I clocked well over 100 hours in GTA V.

#34 Edited by ll_Exile_ll (1704 posts) -

@jasbir said:

@ll_exile_ll said:

Lost Odyssey - 65 hours

I clocked well over 100 hours in GTA V.

ok...