What are the worst games you've played this gen?

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By Hunkulese

@awesomeusername: It's always fun when people just make random lists with nothing to support anything they're trying to say. Maybe trying coming up with reasons as to why the games suck instead of just spouting nonsense.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By thatpinguino  Staff

Final Fantasy XIII- I spent 20 hours on this game before I realized that I didn't care about any of the characters or the overall story so I stopped playing.

Silent Hill: Homecoming- This game just wasn't scary, you were too powerful and the enemies weren't threatening.

A_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#103  Edited By A_Dog

Fucking Naughty Bear. That game is broken in pretty every sense.

So glad I only rented it.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#104  Edited By penguindust

I have nothing positive to say about my experiences with SOCOM US Navy Seals for the PS3, Crackdown 2 for the 360 and The Darkness. The latter wasn't a bad game per se but I just didn't click with it.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#105  Edited By laserbolts

@BaneFireLord said:

THIS PIECE OF SHIT
THIS PIECE OF SHIT

Agreed man what a piece of shit game.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#106  Edited By AlexW00d

Trauma is probably the worst, most pretentious piece of shit game ever, it's not even a game really.

But LA Noire is the game I regret buying the most. Fuck that game.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By CptBedlam

1. Dark Sector

2. Force Unleashed

3. AVP 2010

ItBeStefYo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#108  Edited By ItBeStefYo

@awesomeusername: Fuck you! Hope got better, FF13 IS GREAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

@awesomeusername: ITS CALLED A CHARACTER ARC YOU FUD

Wasara88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Wasara88

I have played some truly shitty games,but i usually knew they weren't going be great, but Dragon Age 2 a sequel to a game i enjoyed immensly.
I intentionally kept myself in the dark about the game and it's shittyness came as a total shock to me.

RWBladewing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By RWBladewing

@Sparky_Buzzsaw said:

@Dagbiker said:

Record Of Agrest War

Beat me to it. I've played a ton of horrible games, but that one takes the cake. I suspect it will be high on my Most Hated list well into eternity.

I must mention this game's "prequel" Record of Agarest War Zero as well (I use the quotation marks because it's pretty much the exact same game in several ways, with nearly identical characters and plot). Here's a very trimmed down list of just some of the things wrong with this game:

• Insane grind to get even the most basic of items, which you must do because the enemies are balanced around it
  • "Tactical" combat system with no terrain, extremely limited enemy variation, and no tactics; you fight basically the same battle literally hundreds of times
  • No explanation anywhere of how the system to create your character works at all
  • Plot appears only in extremely sparse segments between the hundreds of battles and you will never see half the cutscenes because you didn't complete their nonsensical requirement that the game will never mention (doing a random thing at a random time in a random place, etc.). You get the bad ending if you miss these.
  • Utterly failed dating sim elements with choices that raise or lower affections of multiple characters in a totally illogical manner, multiple moments that are easily missed forever in the vein of the plot stuff listed above, and no deep or interesting storyline surrounding any of the characters. It even feels like you are just grinding out points with the characters rather than having any meaningful interaction - most of the "interactions" are characters saying a random couple sentences to you and disappearing. Oh, and you also get the bad ending if you decide to actually focus on one girl rather than turning it into a point balancing spreadsheet.

I'll just come right out and say I consider this the actual worst game I have ever played, and I've been playing since the Atari days. It's really that bad. Honorable mention to Hyperdimension Neptunia. Probably not a coincidence that it's the same company.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#111  Edited By Addfwyn

This is a tricky one for me, the games that I really really won't like, I can usually see coming and so I just won't play them. As a result, the games in my list aren't 'TERRIBLE' games. They are simply games that didn't appeal to me in the same way that appealed to other people and that I personally did not enjoy. Doesn't mean that they are overall bad games though. I just haven't played a lot of games I can say I disliked.

Bloodrayne: Betrayal: Probably the only game I'd consider legitimately 'bad' on my list. A system of animation priority, that while it looks nice, makes the control scheme extraordinarily punishing. Speaking of punishing, this game gets stupid hard. Not the fun masochistic kind of hard like in Super Meat Boy or Demon's Soul. No, just stupidly hard with terrible checkpointing. I don't even know why I finished the game, other than the fact that I stupidly spent money on it. One of the only times in my life I could find little redeeming qualities in a game I purchased other than 'it looks sorta cool'.

Prototype: Maybe the close launch with inFamous skewed my superhero expectations, but the game just seemed pretty broken and sorta unfinished. Like almost every open world game ever, which I also don't usually like. Just felt there was a lot of potential here that got squandered, and hopefully can be addressed for future installments.

Deus Ex : The recent one (Human Revolution). Yeah, it did well and was generally well received just...things about it rubbed me the wrong way. Liked the setting, but the stealth gameplay that forced you into fights anyway was kinda...disjointed I felt. Not to mention encouraging you to beat the game without killing anyone/without setting off alarms and giving you NO way to track those stats was extremely frustrating. Didn't find out halfway through my first play through that non-lethal weapons were sometimes lethal anyway. Plus, it just kinda reminded me that I don't like WRPGs really. If this counted as an RPG?

Dragon Age: Origins: Refer back to above, 'I don't think I like WRPGs much' statement. Gameplay here was relatively alright, though a bit too difficult at times, but bearable. However, when it comes to RPGs, the story and characters should shine above everything else. While some of the supporting characters were great, the main character was well...a blank slate with virtually no story, as tends to be the case in WRPGs. Something I've found just always draws me out of them a lot. Combine that with a mediocre and cliche story that isn't interesting to anybody who has read a fantasy novel in their life, and you have a pretty forgettable game. I heard the second was worse, but since I didn't play that I can't include it on the list.

Those four I think top my list. There were other games I was bored by, like Fallout 3, or just weren't super into...but I didn't really dislike them as much as these 4. Of them, I'd really only say Bloodrayne was terrible. Others just weren't to my tastes.

@RWBladewing: Funny how much tastes differ from person to person. I really really liked the Agarest games and Hyperdimension Neptunia quite a bit. Not best of their genres or anything, but some of the more enjoyable games I played lately.

Avatar image for james_giant_peach
James_Giant_Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rage, Final Fantasy XIII, Duke Nukem Forever

essi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#113  Edited By essi2

Dragon Age 2 and Duke Nukem Forever

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#116  Edited By veektarius

My worst is Two Worlds 2. A lot of people gave that game good press. Maybe they just overrated because it was better than Two Worlds 1 by leaps and bounds. But the combat mechanics were sluggish and simplistic, the voice acting was awful, the storytelling was hackneyed - I have trouble identifying the positives in that game.

jmood88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By jmood88

Two Worlds by far. There were no redeeming qualities in that game at all. It looked bad, the menus were awful, the voice acting was horrendous, the animations sucked, just an all around horrible game.

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#118  Edited By JTB123

Duke Nukem Forever

Farcry 2

Perfect Dark Zero

Very tempting to put Ninja Gaiden 3 on here, but it doesn't compare with those three.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Vexxan

Perfect Dark Zero.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#120  Edited By Sergio
zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By zombie2011
NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#122  Edited By NMC2008

Hmmmmm........ realistically and non hyperbolic.......... probably Alone in the Dark & Beowulf.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@ItBeStefYo said:

@awesomeusername: Fuck you! Hope got better, FF13 IS GREAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

@awesomeusername: ITS CALLED A CHARACTER ARC YOU FUD

It's called bad writing.

King_Bonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#124  Edited By King_Bonzo

Looking back I was really dissapointed with Gears 3. But worse games of the Gen? Silent Hill Homecoming was one of the few games this Gen I couldn't bring myself to finish. Perfect Dark Zero I couldn't even bring myself to finish the first level.

Also Far Cry 2 was awesome.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By BrockNRolla

@VinceNotVance said:

Damn, you guys are spoiled if stuff like Dragon Age 2 is considered "worst of this gen". Play Mindjack or Facebreaker or Rock of the Dead sometime and see what awful truly looks like.

But who thought Mindjack and Rock of the Dead were going to be good? Expectation plays a huge role in your opinion of a game, and most would certainly say that Dragon Age created some high expectations for the sequel.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By BrockNRolla

@Addfwyn said:

Dragon Age: Origins: Refer back to above, 'I don't think I like WRPGs much' statement. Gameplay here was relatively alright, though a bit too difficult at times, but bearable. However, when it comes to RPGs, the story and characters should shine above everything else. While some of the supporting characters were great, the main character was well...a blank slate with virtually no story, as tends to be the case in WRPGs.

I couldn't disagree with you more on the story elements of Dragon Age: Origins. I loved the way that story came together in the conclusion, particularly how your character was involved. I may not have been the most interesting character myself, but the effect I was having on the world and the characters around me was huge. Every one of those side characters was well fleshed out as well. They all had realistic personalities and remain memorable for me.

Fozimuth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Fozimuth
@Addfwyn said:

This is a tricky one for me, the games that I really really won't like, I can usually see coming and so I just won't play them. As a result, the games in my list aren't 'TERRIBLE' games. They are simply games that didn't appeal to me in the same way that appealed to other people and that I personally did not enjoy. Doesn't mean that they are overall bad games though. I just haven't played a lot of games I can say I disliked.

Deus Ex : The recent one (Human Revolution). Yeah, it did well and was generally well received just...things about it rubbed me the wrong way. Liked the setting, but the stealth gameplay that forced you into fights anyway was kinda...disjointed I felt. Not to mention encouraging you to beat the game without killing anyone/without setting off alarms and giving you NO way to track those stats was extremely frustrating. Didn't find out halfway through my first play through that non-lethal weapons were sometimes lethal anyway. Plus, it just kinda reminded me that I don't like WRPGs really. If this counted as an RPG?

You're only "forced" into fighting for boss fights, which are piss-easy and can be cheesed.  That was just lazy, but there are so few in the game (3, final boss hardly counts and doesn't actually need to be fought) and they're so far out apart and come at such predictable moments I didn't even really care.  
 Nonlethal weapons are only lethal in case of a bug, usually because they hit something as they're falling over and the ragdoll flips out and they die.  Check the body and it will either have Z's or a skull.  If it's a skull, quick load.  I didn't actually have any major issue with that, at all.  You just have to pay attention, I figured everything out and got no alarms and no kills on the same playthrough.

I wouldn't consider Human Revolution an RPG.
Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Fearbeard

Probably Lost: Via Domus

I actually thought the new character and flashback scenes were interesting but everything on the island was terrible. Plus the interesting ending wasn't canonical at all which made the entire game pointless.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@awesomeusername said:

Modern Warfare 2

@Jeust said:

• Resident Evil 5
  • Dead Rising
  • Dragon Age

@BaneFireLord said:

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

@Jay444111 said:

Prince of Persia 2008

@plaintomato said:

New Vegas, AC: BrotherhoodCOD: Black Ops

Hey guys, look! It's that semi-monthly Giant Bomb thread where instead of naming the genuinely worst games of the generation, a few people choose to use the thread as a soapbox against games they were disappointed in! Who could have seen that coming?

Guess what, guys. If these are on the worst games of the generation list for you, you must not play very many games at all. These games are objectively better than the type of trash that should be named in this thread.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@BrockNRolla said:

@VinceNotVance said:

Damn, you guys are spoiled if stuff like Dragon Age 2 is considered "worst of this gen". Play Mindjack or Facebreaker or Rock of the Dead sometime and see what awful truly looks like.

But who thought Mindjack and Rock of the Dead were going to be good? Expectation plays a huge role in your opinion of a game, and most would certainly say that Dragon Age created some high expectations for the sequel.

The thread is worst games of the generation, not most disappointing games. This is precisely why even Giant Bomb's award is plainly written as "most disappointing" it's a big distinction. Anyone who thinks Dragon Age 2 is one of the worst games of the generation is out of their fucking mind.

EnduranceFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By EnduranceFun

Assassin's Creed was a huge disappointment after being psyched for it since I was like, 13. Brotherhood did make up for it a bit.

Freaking Gears 2 online was so helplessly and annoyingly broke too. Gears 3 at least worked for as long as I cared to play it; was terrible coming off of a long time playing Gears 1 with a dedicated server of peeps playing Elimination, to Gears 2 where it's all centralised and unplayable.

Arebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Arebuckle

Blacksite : Area 51 - Potentially my first horrible experience with this gen. It looked ugly and unfinished, played horribly, AI was atrocious at times and was buggy as hell. Just shit.

Quantum Theory - Ugly, played awful, hated the art style.

That's all that comes to mind without getting stupidly hyperbolic. There's most likely more, it's just that I tend to not play bad games, even accidentally. Though part of me wants to, just so I could appreciate good games a lot more.  

And I don't say this, but I think you might be playing Sniper Elite wrong. I consistently take them down with 1 bullet, 2 at most. But maybe I've been lucky. 

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#133  Edited By Addfwyn

@Fozimuth: Quite true in regards to the weapons, but I sadly didn't know that for a while in my first play through, so had to start over. Maybe I didn't, but without some kind of stats screen to check if I killed somebody, I wouldn't know. I used nonlethal weapons a LOT, rather than takedowns, so odds are I probably messed it up at some point. Not strictly the game's fault, it was a bug and if you don't care about the trophy it wouldn't matter anyway. Just sort of bugged me. As I said, I don't really think these were bad games, strictly speaking.

@Rolyatkcinmai: To be fair, it's worst game you've played this generation. You could have played nothing but pretty solid games and have some relatively decent games for your 'worst games played', which was mostly the case for me.

MrNeoshredder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By MrNeoshredder

Dragon Age 2-Barely and RPG, barely a hack 'n slash, full on piece of dogshit.

Mass Effect 3-Hit detection was horrible, controls were awful, four conflicting actions mapped to one button, plot holes the size of Kansas, some character models looked like shit up close, terrible character and facial animations, really, really repetitive enemies, horrible ending, just shit...fuck you Jeff

Final Fantasy 13-The only character I liked was Lightening because she punched Snow in the face

MW2-Terrible single player, terrible, unbalanced, takes no skill multiplayer

MW3-See MW2

Sonic Free Riders-Oh GOD no!

Fable 3-One of the most boring, tedious games I've ever played

Final Fantasy 13 Part 2-Fuck you Squenix

Mindjack-Once again, fuck you Squenix

Minecraft-The game sold half finished for 30 dollars. No pathfinding for the enemy AI, hardly any rewards besides diamond, which I found in about three hours, nothing to do except build, which again, is tedious and boring to gather the materials in survival mode, and worst of all, no crafting or enchanting or brewing instructions in-game whatsoever.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#135  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Most of the games people are suggesting are mediocre. Dull drab and uninteresting, but generally inoffensive. Some of them I would even call good, but disappointing games. Games that didn't live up to their hype, but are still fundamentally good games. So, Giant Bomb community, I present to you, the worst game I've played this generation:

No Caption Provided

Yes, I played this absolutely god awful pile of crap.

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By ventilaator

Fable III is the worst game I've played this gen. No contest

MrNeoshredder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By MrNeoshredder

Oh WAIT! I forgot about Big Rigs!

sabby_po

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By sabby_po

Saint's Row 2 - Only put in about 5 hours, but that was enough. Poor man's GTA.

Duke Nukem Forever - Painfully average.

Kane and Lynch: Dead Men - Hated the characters, hated the story, hated the gameplay. Hat trick!

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#139  Edited By ThePickle
  • Fable 2
  • Saints Row
  • Saints Row 2
ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#140  Edited By ajamafalous

This is the part where I get to troll Mass Effect 2, right?

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By supermonkey122

Sonic 06, Neverdead, and LEISURE SUIT LARRY BOX OFFICE BUST!!! Box office bust is probably the worst game I have ever played period

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By UlquioKani

Force Unleashed for me. It wasn't a terrible game but I don't generally play games that get bad reviews and I borrowed this from a friend. if you were to ask me last generation when I was much younger and didn't look at reviews and I would be able to name some genuinely bad games.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By BrockNRolla

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

@BrockNRolla said:

@VinceNotVance said:

The thread is worst games of the generation, not most disappointing games. This is precisely why even Giant Bomb's award is plainly written as "most disappointing" it's a big distinction. Anyone who thinks Dragon Age 2 is one of the worst games of the generation is out of their fucking mind.

That's fine that you think "disappointing" and "worst" are separate categories, but the last time I checked, "worst" is a pretty big word encompassing all kinds of notions. Insofar as worst might mean "least pleasing" or "most unpleasant", which are all entirely valid ways to answer the question, Dragon Age 2 is a totally fine answer. Just because there are other games that are literally broken in various ways, which will inevitably be true every year, doesn't mean other games can't be considered the worse for various reasons.

We can all look at "worst" in a different light. No other game elicited an angered response from me like Dragon Age 2 did. I'd say that makes it the worst for me.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By Jay444111

@Rolyatkcinmai: Ever play POP08? It is so horrendously designed and made that it should never have gotten off and become retail, it is so bad that it should have become vaperware. I know that is harsh. But that game, I truly believe is awful. I have played some of the worst games of all time. and POP08 I truly believe is even worse than many of them!

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By RE_Player1

Shank was probably the biggest piece of shit this gen for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always wait for review scores and such, and I'm a very cautious buyer, so my worst games won't necessarily be the worst ever.

• Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II

The first one had a great story that actually fit in really well with the Star Wars canon (finally), but the second one was rushed, and took the classic Star Wars route of retconning as much shit as it could, and doubling down on continuity errors. Darth Vader got captured at the end, yo, fuck that shit.

• Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

A bit of a controversial choice perhaps. Everyone gave the game a pass, despite the fact that 90% of it is boring as shit. Just ignore the side stuff they said, well fuck that, I say. This game was incredibly poorly designed and gave you ample opportunity to severely overlvl yourself for all future content before you even got to the 50% completion mark. Also, the main and faction quest lines were utterly boring in my opinion, only slightly less so than the side quests. The Fate thing is an interesting concept, but they never did anything interesting with it. Also, you fight a giant dragon who was imprisoned underground centuries ago. Yawn.

efman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By efman

Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust - a heaping dollop of gunk. As a non-qualifier of "the worst of this generation," among the high-profile games that I played this generation, I was deeply disappointed in Alan Wake. The experience of playing through that game, with only the visuals standing out as a technical showcase, felt like I had a gun pointed at my face.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By BrockNRolla

@VinceNotVance said:

Also, I think "worst" might be subjective in this thread, but people are mistaking "games I didn't like" with "games that are incompetent/universally reviled in some way".

That certainly rings true. Worst can mean a lot of different things to people. But yes, I think "worst" has to be especially offensive for some reason, not just bad.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By JoeyRavn
Vincent92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By Vincent92

Last remant- frame rate dips are horrible, characters forget to tell you where you need to go and combat is not fun with so many characters on screen with very slow frame rate