What are you scrambling to play before GOTY discussions commence?

Avatar image for williamflattener
williamflattener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

I know it's a little early, but I always catch myself scrambling to get one or two games in before the Game of the Year discussion podcasts get going. Since they're pretty open with spoilers, I usually try to squeeze in the ones I care about in ahead of GOTY, time and money permitting.

Anybody else trying to squeeze in some plot-heavy games before end of year?

I'm rip and/or tearing through DOOM now and I know I need to get a hold of INSIDE before too much longer.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Just The Witness is the big main one for me. I still have that video, that they made with Jonathan Blow earlier this year, bookmarked to remind myself to watch it after i play. I know it's not exactly plot heavy, but it seems like there is still quite a lot you can spoil about that game which is why I've been actively avoiding any and all discussion about it.

AudioFatigue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Just bought SUPERHOT. I remember hearing some interesting story bits from the crew months ago, and I've been wanting to play this. Now, I'm positive it will be in GOTY discussions so I must finish it :O

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Perhaps Tomb Raider, though I'm not sure they'll talk about it much since it technically came out last year, right? I'll also get to Inside at some point, but I can't think of too much story heavy stuff that still has to come out that I'm personally excited for and I'm not even sure I'd mind spoilers for Tomb Raider given the story was about 10% of the draw to the "first" one.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#5  Edited By pyromagnestir

The Witness, Doom, and Uncharted were the only games I needed get my hands on before game of the year discussion, and I've managed to finish all of them already. In an ideal scenario I'd probably also want to play Superhot, Inside, Abzu and a few other games along those lines but for various reasons I probably won't be able to.

@babychoochoo said:

Just The Witness is the big main one for me. I still have that video, that they made with Jonathan Blow earlier this year, bookmarked to remind myself to watch it after i play. I know it's not exactly plot heavy, but it seems like there is still quite a lot you can spoil about that game which is why I've been actively avoiding any and all discussion about it.

That video interview is fantastic. I watched it after I reached the "end" of the game but before I had fully completed everything thinking "there's probably nothing really that's gonna surprise me in this now" and oooooooooh man I was wrong.

I hope they get the chance to do more stuff like that with other games in the future.

williamflattener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@audiofatigue: I'm dying to get a hold of it but I'm on budgetary lockdown. lol. I think I'm going to have to brave the spoilers. I'll probably forget them by the time I check it out, anyway.

@pyromagnestir: Well I'm intrigued! The Witness is one that I may have to experience vicariously through others due to time (and brain) constraints. I'm really interested in the way people seem to noticeably hit the brakes when they start talking about it. Seems like 2016 is the year of games that "go places."

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

At this rate I'll have to revisit my "games I didn't finish" list this year again. I still haven't even beaten Bloodborne, for gosh's sake. Or Uncharted 4. Or really almost anything I've played this year.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Persona Q.

What?

williamflattener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: I'm tweeting Blizzard right now to suspend your WoW account until you've caught up. It's for your own good!

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I'm playing Mafia III right now, but not for this reason. I hope they talk about it during the GOTY discussions because it's really damn good. Way better than the sum of its parts.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Uhm, Mass Effect 3 really.

I did mail the beastcast this week to ask if they had any storybased indiegames specifically they were gonna talk about. I occasionally play big games in later years, but it's so easy to forget all the short and sweet ones. Besides, they are the ones I'm actually gonna have the effort to finish before the year ends. This isn't my job, so I can just play whatever I want, and that's usually not a ton of games from the current year. I've only played two 2016 games this year, for instance. Instead I'm playing big things I missed like ME3.

JosephKnows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By JosephKnows

For released games, the biggest one is Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. I know the main plot isn't that interesting from everything I've heard, but the stories on the side are apparently interesting enough that I'd like to experience them firsthand. Oxenfree might get brought up too, so that's also on the list. I really want to play SUPERHOT, but I've no way to play it anytime soon unless it gets released on PS4 before the year ends.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

Uncharted 4, The Witness and Superhot, if I manage the time......

bill_mcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By bill_mcneal

Finish up Uncharted 4, burn through Inside (maybe even see the 'secret ending'), and if I have time I'll play Oxenfree even though I'm not sure it'll be mentioned. I'm not too concerned about Firewatch getting spoiled because I'm not sure I'll ever play it.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Wemibelle

Basically anything story-based that I really care about seeing for myself before hearing spoilers: Firewatch, Zero Escape, maybe Inside and Superhot (but if not, meh). There are a lot more games I'd like to have played simply for consideration of my own list--as I like having a complete knowledge of the year before I make my choices--but I probably won't have the money or time to play many more.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Not exactly scrambling. But I'd like to play Doom at some point. Maybe also Inside. If we're talking about stuff that hasn't been released yet, then I'm also looking forward to playing Owlboy and Dishonored 2.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I'm not doing this, this year. Because I can already tell the games I think are great are not likely to be the ones they will.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

The only one I have to get to is Inside because it can be spoiled. I would almost say Doom but I doubt you can spoil that. Expect to like both a lot.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I kinda of been disappointed by games this year for me last year was alot better. The thing I enjoy the most this year was my Oculus Rift other than that I'm replaying Sleeping Dogs again it makes me so depressed that there will probably never be a sequel. Even if there was it wouldn't be by UFG they nail how to make a open world game. I was looking forward to Mafia 3 but it was a disappointment great characters and story but boring open world game and the most repetitive open world game I ever played in my life.

JasonMasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Viqor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The last chapter of Kings Quest comes out next week, so I'm finally gonna play that. Haven't gotten to Deus Ex and there's some stuff that still hasn't released yet (like Dishonored 2) that will likely take up the rest of my time until the end of the year. If Civ 6 is great, I'll probably get that too.

iammattz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Trying to play more Witcher 3 to get through the expansion stuff that came out this year. Gotta believe it'll come up in "Best game of 2015 in 2016" discussions -- who knows, maybe someone makes a push for the DLC to be on the proper GOTY list (seeing that around a lot lately).

zombievac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jec03 said:

I kinda of been disappointed by games this year for me last year was alot better. The thing I enjoy the most this year was my Oculus Rift other than that I'm replaying Sleeping Dogs again it makes me so depressed that there will probably never be a sequel. Even if there was it wouldn't be by UFG they nail how to make a open world game. I was looking forward to Mafia 3 but it was a disappointment great characters and story but boring open world game and the most repetitive open world game I ever played in my life.

Hmmm. I get why people say that about Mafia III, because it starts nearly as a GOTY contender, but once you hit the mid-game grind, you see the filler and thinned out plot. HOWEVER, isn't Sleeping Dogs even worse in those regards? I played it, liked it, but it was repetitive as all hell. In fact, I'm curious why you like that game so much more than other open-world games such as GTA V, or even Watch Dogs. I have a distinct feeling that most people on here that like it so much is simply because of the setting or something. Not that it wasn't well done, but it was nothing if not super repetitive.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got about halfway through DOOM before I got distracted by some other shiny game, but I need to get back on that. Even more-so since one of my friends just got it off the recent Steam Sale. I haven't even started Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

I also only got past the first year in Stardew Valley and kind of want to try and get to year 3.

Haven't gotten Mankind Divided yet, but I wouldn't mind story stuff in that. The world itself is what kept me playing Human Revolution. That's really it for things that are out already though, but there's still more coming down the pipe I do wanna try playing before GOTY time.

jaketwo_91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the GOTY game I most want to be playing is Dark Souls 3, but my own personal rule is that I have to 100% Dark Souls 2 first, so I'm not starting it yet.

Other than that, I might play Inside soonish, I feel like I've played most of the other non AAA games that will be mentioned.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

There are lots of games I need to play by the end of the year but the ones I'm worried they'll spoil for me are Gears 4, Mafia III, The Witness, and Inside.