#1 Posted by boolean (33 posts) -

So I've not seen much speculation on the price of the PS4 and Xbox One. With E3 coming up soon, I'm wondering if Sony or MS might use that event to drop a price on everyone while we're all hopped up on fancy trailers.

With the hardware that's in these things, I can't imagine they are going to be cheap. 8 gigs of DDR5 has to be expensive, the blue ray drive, 8 core processors...if this stuff is supposed to be giving high end PC's a run for their money, what sort of price point could we be talking here?

Myself, I'm thinking we could see both consoles launch at around the $600-$700 range. The 360 launched around $400-$500, and that was with a pretty conservative hardware.

#2 Edited by Cold_Wolven (2213 posts) -

The impressions I've gotten is that next gen consoles will be lower than what current gen launched at, Sony doesn't have to worry about in house development with components like with the Cell to drive up manufacturing costs so this would at least allow them to launch at a more competitive price.

#3 Edited by Excast (816 posts) -

Both companies remember what happened when Sony tried to launch the PS3 at $600. That isn't going to happen again. I imagine you will see both sitting somewhere around $500.

The PS4 has the more expensive RAM.

The XB1 has to deal with the cost of the new Kinect bundled in.

I am guessing that sort of evens things out.

#4 Posted by SexualBubblegumX (542 posts) -

From what I've heard the ps4 might be about 50 bucks more than XBox One. At this point it's just pure speculation, so wait a bit and Micosoft and Sony should lay down an actual price within a few months.

#5 Edited by boolean (33 posts) -

The impressions I've gotten is that next gen consoles will be lower than what current gen launched at, Sony doesn't have to worry about in house development with components like with the Cell to drive up manufacturing costs so this would at least allow them to launch at a more competitive price.

That's a good point - Both consoles have the same x86 chips don't they? That's gotta cut down manufacturing costs a bit.

#6 Posted by PSNgamesun (395 posts) -

399-499=ps4
399-429=x1

#7 Posted by TheRealMoot (355 posts) -

$500 a piece, my guess. I don't like it, but that's what I'm going with.

Anyone wanna speculate on what a $1000 console would do to the market? Any takers?

#8 Edited by SomeJerk (3151 posts) -

They will be cheaper than you think. Sony will be more expensive because it's a Sony. Microsoft seem to have scrapped their lease-like Xbone plan. $499 US in the US would be my idea of too expensive for either.

..similar to how the WiiU is too expensive even with the price cuts, but that's because it frankly hasn't got much going for it. Not counting how I could have bought two Black WiiU at the US launch, for the price of one ZombiU kit in Sweden.

The big question mark and mystery is how much the Kinect2 is going to add. Sony's bundling a headset this time around.

#9 Posted by antime (97 posts) -

@boolean said:

@cold_wolven said:

That's a good point - Both consoles have the same x86 chips don't they? That's gotta cut down manufacturing costs a bit.

Not the same chip, but they're both based on an existing design which would have reduced R&D costs significantly. There's still a decent amount of custom silicon in both, so it's not like they're off-the-shelf parts (eg. the data move and decompression engines mentioned in the presentations, there's almost certainly added security features like RAM encryption etc.)

One huge factor of the PS3's launch price was the blue laser diodes for the Blu-Ray drive. At the time this was cutting-edge technology, and their cost was estimated at about $100 each, and unlike R&D costs wasn't amortized across sold units. Fortunately for Sony, their cost soon dropped by an order of magnitude.

#10 Posted by Hailinel (23943 posts) -

$500 a piece, my guess. I don't like it, but that's what I'm going with.

Anyone wanna speculate on what a $1000 console would do to the market? Any takers?

It would sit on the shelves at retailers collecting dust and only the most insane brand loyalists would buy it. Sony had to slash the PS3's $599 price just to get people to buy that.

#11 Posted by Dixego (383 posts) -

I sure hope it's cheaper than 600 bucks.

#12 Posted by DxBecks (72 posts) -

Playstation 4 - $399.99 to $449.99

Xbox One - $250 + 2 Year Contract of $15 monthly payment w/ Xbox Live included. / No Contract model for $399.99 to $449.99

#13 Edited by KittyVonDoom (445 posts) -

I could see Microsoft launching at about 250 with some crazy XBL subscription contract attached - similar to the 360 contract thing that apparently did very well for them.

#14 Edited by antime (97 posts) -

I had completely forgotten about Microsoft's contract model. That would allow them to lower the retail price while simultaneously writing around the fact that you're still forced to pay extra to play online games.

#15 Posted by AndreTheGiant (6 posts) -

I Think Sony will do Multiple SKUs for Different Prices:

Basic ($300.00):

PS4 (250GB)

Dualshock 4 Controller

PS4 Camera

HDMI Cable

Power Cable

USB Cable

Premium ($400.00):

PS4 (500GB)

Dualshock 4 Controller

PS4 Camera

Killzone: Shadowfall

Headset

Stand for The Console

HDMI Cable

Power Cable

USB Cable

Deluxe ($500.00):

PS4 (1TB)

2 Dualshock 4 Controllers

PS4 Camera

Killzone: Shadowfall

inFAMOUS: Second Son

Headset

Stand for The Console

PS Move Controller

Storage Tower for Game Cases

HDMI Cable

Power Cable

USB Cable

As for Mircosoft they will have 1 SKU for $200.00 Dollars with a 20 Dollar Xbox Live fee and $400.00 without free