What are your thoughts on the "flood protection" for wall posts?

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By BiggerBomb
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By BiggerBomb

I don't know about you, but I frequently post on other users' walls and my wall is posted on with relative frequency. Unfortunately, because of the flood protection, it's pretty much impossible to have a quick and easy chat with users.

I get that we can use PM's, but I feel that PM's are best left for lengthy and substantive private discussions rather than commenting on a user's status and/or letting them know about something cool. With the limit of two consecutive posts, though, this doesn't really work out too well, and I'm instead forced to resort to PM'ing someone, then waiting until they check their inbox.

I for one am not a fan. How about you?

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By danielkempster

I'm with you on this one, BiggerBomb. It gets pretty annoying at times. I can understand it being active on the forums, but not on user walls. Hopefully, if enough people vote in this thing, it'll get brought to the attention of Snide, Coonce and the other web design guys, and maybe they'll do something about it. In the meantime, it's a no from me.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BiggerBomb
dankempster said:
"I'm with you on this one, BiggerBomb. It gets pretty annoying at times. I can understand it being active on the forums, but not on user walls. Hopefully, if enough people vote in this thing, it'll get brought to the attention of Snide, Coonce and the other web design guys, and maybe they'll do something about it. In the meantime, it's a no from me. "

What provoked my creating of this topic was my having immense trouble chatting with you. =/
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#5  Edited By LordAndrew

The staff are pretty adamant that this won't be changed. However, there have been suggestions made to improve the flood protection without removing it altogether. Unfortunately I am unable to find them.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BiggerBomb
LordAndrew said:
"The staff are pretty adamant that this won't be changed. However, there have been suggestions made to improve the flood protection without removing it altogether. Unfortunately I am unable to find them."

I'm not against flood protection on the forums. I think it's perfectly valid. But having it on the walls is overkill. If people want to prevent spam, they should be able to block people who aren't on their friends list from posting.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

It needs to have flood protection, but 2 posts in a row can be inconvenient. They should do 2 posts in a row per day, that would solve most problems.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Hamz

Wall's are really there for the "lulz you got pwnzored!" type of comments, those brief and perhaps "in-joke" style comments. If you want extended discussion over a topic then thats why we have private messages and forums.

One thing you can do to aid a friend being able to post on your wall for a third time in a row is simply to have yourself post on your own wall so they can then continue.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#9  Edited By LordAndrew

You can't post on your own wall any more. Not since the redesign.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BiggerBomb
Hamz said:
"Wall's are really there for the "lulz you got pwnzored!" type of comments, those brief and perhaps "in-joke" style comments. If you want extended discussion over a topic then thats why we have private messages and forums.One thing you can do to aid a friend being able to post on your wall for a third time in a row is simply to have yourself post on your own wall so they can then continue."

What if I posted two comments on danK's wall a week ago, no one posts on his wall for a week, and then, a week later, I want to comment on something new? I can't. =/
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BiggerBomb
SuperMooseman said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"Hamz said:
"Wall's are really there for the "lulz you got pwnzored!" type of comments, those brief and perhaps "in-joke" style comments. If you want extended discussion over a topic then thats why we have private messages and forums.One thing you can do to aid a friend being able to post on your wall for a third time in a row is simply to have yourself post on your own wall so they can then continue."
What if I posted two comments on danK's wall a week ago, no one posts on his wall for a week, and then, a week later, I want to comment on something new? I can't. =/"
Yeah, this has happened to me MANY times. Really annoying, I wish we could decide on the limit ourselves, or just remove it altogether."

Very much agreed.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By natetodamax

I don't really think there needs to be a flood protection for the walls. If you don't want somebody writing on it over and over again, you should be able to block them or set a limit on them of some sort.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Jayge_

It's stupid as hell, and the "go to PM" thing is a lame response. PMs are widely seen as more formal, and wall posts are public, quicker, and easier. That said, there really is no good reason why there should be flood protection on wall posts. It seems like a glitch that nobody wants to bother fixing. If that's the case (which I'm guessing it is), someone could at least just say "yeah, we're not going to fix that glitch" instead of making up lame-ass shit to justify it.

ltcoljaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By ltcoljaxson

I think there should just be an option to turn on or off the flood protection for walls.