#1 Posted by Yoda (55 posts) -

For the past year i think i have been in denial on trading in stuff to gamestop, and i still am. The other day i was bored so i thought it would be interesting to see how much i would get for 7 of my games i don't play anymore:
Farcry 2, soul calibur iv, mercs 2, the club, prince of persia, beautiful katamari, and dead space

i found out i would get $130, gamestop would make $220 off of them.. So basically i get 60% of what they sell them for.

Just wondering if i should continue to refuse to trade in or actually start to do it again to save money? What are your thoughts?

#2 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -

I think "trading in" is not inherently a bad thing. The problem lies in the resale cutting out the developers. This practice is shitting on the industry, and it's becoming a bit of a problem.

#3 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

The best choice is probably always to sell on ebay or sell to friends, get more of the value.  I swore off trading in of games for this generation, but if I ever have to sell games again, I think I'll use ebay or some other online site for selling them.  No reason to make Gamestop rich.

#4 Posted by RedSox8933 (2428 posts) -

I usually keep my games, just for collection. But I don't really have anything AGAINST trading in games...

#5 Posted by MattyFTM (14417 posts) -

I used to do it tonnes when I was a kid. I was poor and couldn't afford games often, so I had to trade in to afford it. I regret trading in sooooo many games that I absolutely loved. So now that I've got a bit more money, I generally avoid trading in.

Moderator Online
#6 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

I sold some games to EB Games recently, got over 300 bucks.  I think it's good value.  If I go on the local "ebay" website for my city, people sell games for very cheap because they just want to get rid of them.  When I go to EB with some games, the question isn't can I sell them, but for how much.

#7 Posted by Yoda (55 posts) -

yeah, plus going to gamestop is easier..

but i just want to have a large collection and all and i know i will regret trading them in probably after i get a job and can afford stuff more easily (im almost 17 right now.. hopefully i can get one over the summer)

#8 Posted by Why_So_Serious (803 posts) -

I used to trade in all the time. But then I started to regret it. I made an impulse decision cause I had to have a certain game at a certain time so I made mistakes. Some trade-ins are worth it most aren't. My advice is think about it a lot before you trade the game in. Then ask how much you'll get for it. If it doesn't meet the exceptional deal criteria don't do it. You may want to play it again in the future and before you know it your paying another $50 for the same game.

#9 Posted by prinny_god (327 posts) -

I hate how people are like "I got 30 dollars for this game but they turn around and sell it for 50 dollars they are so horrible"
I'm like yeah that's how business works

#10 Edited by PenguinDust (12557 posts) -

Amazon has a better trade in value than Gamespot.  On average, about $2.00 more per game. Shipping is free and you get a Amazon gift card in return.  So, if you are planning on just spending the money on more games (although Amazon has lots of other items, of course), then that may be a better alternative for trading in games, short of selling them on EBay.  Of course, Ebay takes time and you are in competition with everyone else selling used games on the site.  You will need to supply your own box or insulated envelope, but as I said, they pay for shipping.  You print out a label on your home printer.  http://www.amazon.com/Video-Games-Trade-In/b?ie=UTF8&node=979418011

EDIT: yeah, I get "GAMESPOT" and "GAMESTOP" mixed up all the time. My bad :)

#11 Posted by prinny_god (327 posts) -
PenguinDust said:
"Amazon has a better trade in value than Gamespot.  On average, about $2.00 more per game. Shipping is free and you get a Amazon gift card in return.  So, if you are planning on just spending the money on more games (although Amazon has lots of other items, of course), then that may be a better alternative for trading in games, short of selling them on EBay.  Of course, Ebay takes time and you are in competition with everyone else selling used games on the site.  You will need to supply your own box or insulated envelope, but as I said, they pay for shipping.  You print out a label on your home printer.  http://www.amazon.com/Video-Games-Trade-In/b?ie=UTF8&node=979418011"
considering gamespot does not do trade-ins hahaha
#12 Edited by redskineer (46 posts) -

I think trading in is not the best resort of getting money for a new game.  It would be much better to keep most of your games than to trade them in order to get new games.  If you don't care about having a collection, but want to play all of the new games, I would say renting through Gamefly would be a better alternative.  I also like the idea of selling on eBay, mostly because you are in control with how you want to sell it; the only problem is the time and effort.

#13 Posted by Bucketdeth (8024 posts) -

they offered me 2$ for Enchanted Arms for the Xbox 360, thats when I stopped trading to those assholes.

#14 Posted by Illmatic (1358 posts) -

I understand that people feel that developers should get money for their products. I understand that it's annoying to get less money for your games than what they'll make off of selling them used. But honestly, it doesn't affect me much. I've been trading in games since the Gamecube days and learned to deal with the unbalanced trade off. The way I would see it back then and still now to a degree is that

1. I'm not playing the game anymore
  2. There are other games out I want to play
Considering either letting the disc collect dust on my shelf or getting some monetary value back from it, I usually take the latter.
#15 Posted by crunchUK (5963 posts) -

It's stupid to trade in. They get the game back, you get maybe half your money back. And they can just resell resell resell... Basically it's an indefinite rental

#16 Posted by Drake_Ash (2 posts) -

Why has this become such a taboo subject?  I can understand the plight of the developer, but I don't think trading is inherently bad in the least.  What gets me frustrated is the gaming press that goes on a diatribe as to how much this is a destruction of the developers.  Frankly, if I own a product and want to sell it, Gamestop and other retailers that offer like programs manage to make this an effortless experience.  With all of the incentives that GS offers in the way of trade-in programs (Rewards card, trade-in specials), I have managed to trade in quite a few games with a decent profit that I am more than content with.

To get to the core of the issue, I think it is the practice of having used copies of the game on launch day (or a couple of days after) that is the true shame.  Working in the industry for many years though, I can honestly say that a lot of people use the credit for new games that they probably would not have bought in such a high volume without such a program.  I will never understand the venom with which a lot of people look at trading in games.  To be honest, when I am done with a game the last thing I want is it to take up shelf space when I know that I am never going to use it again.

#17 Posted by VWGTI (1919 posts) -

I no longer trade in games. More often than not I found myself regretting trading in a particular game. Prime examples are Vagrant Story and Marvel Vs Capcom 2. Nothing is worse than wanting to play a game you used to own, but you don't have it anymore.

#18 Posted by PenguinDust (12557 posts) -
Drake_Ash said:
"Why has this become such a taboo subject?...
This thread discussed the right and wrongs of trading in games in depth.  http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion/30/are-trade-in-games-destroying-or-helping-the-industry/234371/  But, you raise some good points and the topic will likely continue to be controversial and discussed.  While I argue for people being able to trade in games, I personally don't do it too often.  I think I've traded in about 5 games in my life and currently own 3 used games out of 40.  Games I am done with, I tend to give to my relatives so that they can enjoy them as much as I have.
#19 Posted by natetodamax (19212 posts) -

Selling your games is a good way of getting money or getting rid of games you don't like, so long as it doesn't involve Gamestop.

#20 Posted by JJWeatherman (14560 posts) -
MattyFTM said:
"I used to do it tonnes when I was a kid. I was poor and couldn't afford games often, so I had to trade in to afford it. I regret trading in sooooo many games that I absolutely loved. So now that I've got a bit more money, I generally avoid trading in."
Same Here.
#21 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I don't like trading in, mainly because I'll regret it later and the deals are usually shit.

#22 Posted by Maxszy (2064 posts) -

I think it all depends. For instance, currenlty GameStop has a 40% extra trade-in credit if you trade in 6 or more games. If one is able to trade in that many that are "newer" releases that you are done with, then it can work out fairly well. But you have to get the extra % and take advantage to the maxium of their trade-in deals. If you do that, they aren't always that bad.

#23 Posted by Shadow (4981 posts) -

Last year, I traded in a bunch of games that I would under no circumstances, ever play anymore, and I still felt ripped off.  I'm never trading anything into them ever again.

#24 Posted by prinny_god (327 posts) -

I love trading in I would not have half the games I have if not for trading in.
people are just stupid about trading in that's all. Basically everyone hates gamestop because its the evil empire and is cool to hate them.
everyone is crying about how gamestop will only give them 3 bucks for their 3 year old crappy game, which is just stupid. You have to be smart about
wait till there's a deal. I traded in 2 games and they were like "oh your trading in 2 games that'll get you 30% more and we are having a buy 2 get one free sale"
so I got 4 games for trading two games that I didn't want anymore anyways. Its a win win win because I get 4 games, gamestop can sell the games that I gave them,
and finally someone else can buy those games for cheaper now.

#25 Posted by NickM (1083 posts) -

I never trade in games. I only traded-in a copy of Halo 3 that came in a bundle, the second I bought it, since I already had it. But other than that, never have, never will.