• 74 results
#1 Posted by NTM (7235 posts) -

So I've been thinking, most recently the band HEALTH, worked on Max Payne 3, and Daft Punk worked on Tron: Legacy, I know Tron isn't a game (it's a game inside a movie), but it still got me thinking about who else should be approached to make an original soundtrack for a game. I'm actually just asking, I have no personal opinion of my own on who I'd like to work on one, but I'm sure there are those out there that do have a few in mind. I'm mostly wondering, who would be able to make their own sound converted into a cinematic approach for a game?

I like it when someone comes into something else and didn't previously do the type of music they'd do for a film or game, yet they're talented enough to do so. I'm sure there are a lot, maybe even all that could do it. What kind of game would you like to play, with a band you feel could do the game justice? I'll add one of my own, although I'll be cheating a little. I think there needs to be a game where the setting's Blade Runner-like, and the music is from Hans Zimmer (that's the cheating part) and Kenny G. I know, weird. I think for whatever type of genre the game was, those guys would be good at making a cool city mood. What do you think? Who would you like?

#2 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

I don't know why, but I feel like School Food Punishment could've made a super awesome RPG soundtrack or something. *crosses fingers for them stop being on hiatus*

EDIT: Supercell could probably do a super incredible soundtrack as well.

#3 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

Radiohead are a bunch of gamers, and everything they do is nuts. I would like to see them work with a game composer.

#4 Posted by Mikemcn (6937 posts) -

I want Danger Mouse to make a game soundtrack... (Gnarls Barkley, Broken Bells, some other stuff)

He's not a band, actually he's usually half of one, but him working with somebody else could lead to a great soundtrack to an indie game or something.
#5 Posted by Gramiero (142 posts) -

I think Sufjan Stevens would be very interesting. He's done a score based on an expressway, he's done good work thin acoustic, singer-songwriter sounds, big orchestral sounds, and different electronic elements.

#6 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

Yes already did one.

But if i could get another, I would get, I dont know, Modest Mouse.

#7 Posted by frankfartmouth (1016 posts) -

Mr. Bungle. Even though they're broken up now, I'd love to see them get back together and make some insane game music. They're all big gamers, and the couple times I saw them live they would do a Super Mario Medley that was sick.

#8 Posted by Animasta (14637 posts) -

Sunn o))) should do a horror game soundtrack

well, maybe Sunn o))) + Boris

#9 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@nintendoeats said:

Radiohead are a bunch of gamers, and everything they do is nuts. I would like to see them work with a game composer.

Very nice idea right here. 

@Dagbiker said:

Yes already did one.

"Yes" are pretty... dull and old-sounding to be honest :/ Don't imagine their music fitting for a video game.
#10 Posted by pyromagnestir (4195 posts) -

Too many to choose just one, so I will list a bunch of names off the top of my head whom I would like to see work on a game soundtrack, either individually or pick any two to collaborate. Danger Mouse, Dan the Automator. Damon Albarn, PJ Harvey, Trent Reznor, Mike Patton, Beck, RZA, Madlib, MF Doom, Josh Homme, and Karen O.

#11 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Easy peasy, Tool.

#12 Edited by FesteringNeon (2158 posts) -

@MordeaniisChaos said:

Easy peasy, Tool.

a dark claymation "game" perhaps?

#13 Edited by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

Mindless Self Indulgence.

@Cloudenvy said:

I don't know why, but I feel like School Food Punishment could've made a super awesome RPG soundtrack or something. *crosses fingers for them stop being on hiatus*

I never heard that band, but gosh, that name is awesome.
#14 Posted by Animasta (14637 posts) -

@MikeGosot said:

jimmy urine is working with Yamaoka on lollipop chainsaw, isn't he?

#15 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

First thing to come to mind is Plant and Page coming together to write material based on "Achilles Last Stand." But just putting Achilles Last Stand in a game would probably suffice.

...I dunno, I can't say there's a ton of rock music in games I've really loved. When it comes to games, I prefer orchestral, jazz, electronica, or chiptunes.

#16 Posted by Aetheldod (3495 posts) -

Tool / Deftones

#17 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@Animasta said:

@MikeGosot said:

I saw a video about that, but i thought he was just choosing some songs to put in the game instead of doing something original. And if he's not singing the songs he is making for the game, i will be sad.
#18 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

I want Disturbed to do the soundtrack for Halo 4

"Chief, wake up, we've got enemy inbound!"

OOOOOOH WAH UH UH UH UH!

#19 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@MikeGosot said:

@Cloudenvy said:

I never heard that band, but gosh, that name is awesome.

Indeed, it's a really great name. They deserve it!

#20 Posted by BeachThunder (11646 posts) -

Pelican or Isis :o

#21 Edited by Akyho (1585 posts) -

Devo!

Hang on... they already did...IN THERE OWN GAME!!!!

Smart patrol! WATCH OUT FOR TURKEY MONKEY!!

Actually....random pc game anyone?!

#22 Posted by Animasta (14637 posts) -

@MikeGosot said:

@Animasta said:

@MikeGosot said:

I saw a video about that, but i thought he was just choosing some songs to put in the game instead of doing something original. And if he's not singing the songs he is making for the game, i will be sad.

pretty sure he was doing the boss fights if i remember right

#23 Posted by EVO (3850 posts) -

Gotye.

#24 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@Animasta: Oh, that's fucking awesome. Thank you, my good lady!
#25 Posted by ImaTreee (209 posts) -

@VinceNotVance said:

Anamanaguchi should make another video game soundtrack after the excellent work they turned in for Scott Pilgrim.

#26 Edited by MrKlorox (11198 posts) -

I'd like Ron Jarzombek to compose a score/ost for a videogame. 

edit: oops wrong topic for the previous edit

#27 Posted by captain_clayman (3318 posts) -

I want deadmau5 to do the soundtrack for a sci-fi game. would be perfect for a mass effect style game.

#28 Posted by jediknight00719 (138 posts) -

Kanye West. So long as its no 808s and Heartbreak type work, feel he could make a great score.

#29 Posted by nukesniper (1312 posts) -

Aside from the fact that Trent Reznor did the soundtrack to Quake. I would like him to do another sometime.

#30 Posted by mosespippy (3983 posts) -

Hey Rosetta or Owen Pallet. I think they could utilize a whole range of instruments to set a chilling tone.

#31 Posted by kimchibomb (23 posts) -

Chromatics would be interesting. I can see them doing a horror soundtrack.

#32 Posted by benpicko (1985 posts) -

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

I want Disturbed to do the soundtrack for Halo 4 "Chief, wake up, we've got enemy inbound!" OOOOOOH WAH UH UH UH UH!

This is the funniest thing I've read on this forum probably.

#33 Posted by RubberFactory (288 posts) -

@FesteringNeon said:

@MordeaniisChaos said:

Easy peasy, Tool.

a dark claymation "game" perhaps?

The Dream Machine looks like a game that 10000 days era Tool would compose for.

#34 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

Yes already did one.

But if i could get another, I would get, I dont know, Modest Mouse.

This obviously.

#35 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -
@benpicko

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

I want Disturbed to do the soundtrack for Halo 4 "Chief, wake up, we've got enemy inbound!" OOOOOOH WAH UH UH UH UH!

This is the funniest thing I've read on this forum probably.

*gunfire*
OOOOOHUH OOOOOOHUH

Man, maybe the feeling I'm having right now as i imagine this is why people go and do music videos on YouTube?
#36 Posted by Rebel_Scum (623 posts) -

Flaiming Lips or Air. Both make pretty interesting soundscapes that would work in a video game like a 2d side scroller or RPG.

For fps, any metal will do.

The video game that did it best and deserves a sequel = Brutal Legend

#37 Edited by Notkcots (20 posts) -

Before this, I would have said HEALTH, but that dream is realized. Words cannot even express how excited I am. I think more games should try to integrate noise music overall. It could really set an interesting tone.

The Body or Sunn O))) would be perfect scoring a Demon's Souls/Dark Souls game. Seriously, try playing either with it playing in the background; it fits like a glove.

Also, seconding Owen Pallett. Everything the man writes is gold and his original stage name was even Final Fantasy, for god's sake.

#38 Edited by xyzygy (9870 posts) -

Animal Collective.

@mosespippy said:

Hey Rosetta or Owen Pallet. I think they could utilize a whole range of instruments to set a chilling tone.

Owen Pallett would be so good for an RPG. I could see his music in a Lost Odyssey style game. He DID take influence from FF music after all...

#39 Posted by jmood88 (392 posts) -

Explosions in the Sky

#40 Edited by Gizmo (5389 posts) -

Trentemoller to do work on Portal 3.

#41 Posted by BonOrbitz (2138 posts) -

As cool as Hank William's song was in the latest The Last of Us trailer, I'd like to see what Depeche Mode can do for that game.

#42 Posted by rmills87 (463 posts) -

Nickelback. Dead serious.

#43 Posted by glyn (382 posts) -

@Tim_the_Corsair: LOLLLLLL, I was just going to type in the disturbed on this forum, then I read you had already put it haha.

The Disturbed OHHHH WAHHa ahh aaaa haaaa,

Or Queen.

#44 Edited by zudthespud (3281 posts) -

I think it's got to be a group that can make good music without relying on vocals. I think if you get the dude that did instrumentals in Linkin Park to make a soundtrack that would be awesome. Cure for the itch and Session are just outstanding.

I think the Cinematic Orchestra counts as a band, I love everything they do. Simon Green, the guy behind Bonobo could make an awesome soundtrack too I'm sure.

#45 Edited by Fin (85 posts) -

Queens of the stone age.

Imagine the Max Payne soundtrack done by them.

#46 Posted by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -

The Minibosses

#47 Edited by hifi (17 posts) -

Any artist as long as Yasutaka Nakata is their producer.

#48 Posted by iizcallum (606 posts) -

Not a band, but if Nicolas Jaar soundtracked a game or film, that'd basically be the best thing ever.

#49 Edited by Atlas (2428 posts) -

Godspeed You! Black Emperor would be perfect for an indie game, maybe like a space exploration game or something more arcane. Something like the Journey soundtrack.

Or Russian Circles I'm sure would make an absolutely amazing soundtrack for any kind of action game, anything that requires a bit more teeth.

@BeachThunder said:

Pelican or Isis :o

Also fine choices. Such a shame Isis broke up, their last album was so epic...

#50 Edited by Creamypies (4044 posts) -

Sigur Ros.

/thread