• 72 results
ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

So, now that both consoles are out and most early adopters are forced to choose between one or the other, at least at launch, I think it would be interesting to hear how people came to that decision.

Personally, I chose the PS4 for several reasons, but the primary reason being exclusive games. Obviously the launch doesn't illustrate it, but I am much more confident that Sony will consistently release quality exclusives more frequently than Microsoft. Last generation Microsoft pushed exclusives early in the gen but totally abandoned that initiative as things progressed. There was a time I would have gone with Xbox for Halo alone, but the fact that Halo 4 was total shit has dissolved all my hope for the future of that series.

Additionally, Microsoft's focus on Kinect and TV integration, two things I have zero interest in, as opposed to Sony's focus on games, is a big philosophical reason I went with PS4. Finally, if I am going to be forced to pay $50 a year to play multiplayer games, I am going to go with the service that has not only promised to give out tons of free games, but has a proven track record of giving out great free games both often and in large quantities.

I'll admit, a lot about my decision was based on the promise of the PS4 and Sony's track record rather than anything concrete at this moment, but I think basing a long term decision like this solely on launch lineups isn't the best strategy.

Let me be clear, I am not trying to start a console war topic, so please don't let this devolve into that. I am just interested to hear why people chose the console they did. Also, I am not trying to slight the Wii U, it is most certainly part of this generation, but it also came out a year ago and isn't as a much a part of the decision about which of these consoles you want to get at launch. But hey, if you bought a Wii U in the past two weeks, tell us why as well.

EDIT: Mods, if this topic has been created before, I apologize, but searching is shit and I don't remember seeing anything like this.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I actually made the decision to get a Vita, in anticipation for getting a Ps4 next year after some of the OS bugs have been worked out, more system updates have been made, and any first-run manufacturing issues have been ironed out. I've been wanting a Vita for some time, but this just seemed like the right choice for me.

But in terms of why I've decided to get a Ps4 eventually, over an Xbox One, it's fairly simple; I just want a really good games machine. People can talk to me until they're blue in the face about snapping, media features, TV interfaces, and using voice controls. None of that stuff appeals to me and detract from it being a better gaming machine, and none of that stuff justifies what is a large price difference for a person in my position.

For me, I feel the Ps4 is powerful, and very functional. It has a minimalistic design that I find incredibly attractive. First party exclusives will look exceptional on it, and third party games will almost certainly run better on it. It's cheaper, and it's online service is cheaper and provides the better value. When I can't afford Plus, or just don't want to keep it up, I'm not locked out of F2P games or media features. Since I'll have a Vita, Remote Play is an awesome service that screams "this is futuristic" far more than loudly and robotically speaking voice commands with a 50/50 chance of repeating myself.

tl;dr I just think it's the better game machine. And if I'm buying a game console, that's all I care about.

Edit: And Sony has done a far better job at convincing me they will support their consoles, and encourage support for their consoles, with games throughout the whole life of their system than Microsoft has. This year has seen, or will see, Ni No Kuni, Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, God of War: Ascension, The Last of Us, Puppeteer, Beyond: Two Souls, and Gran Turismo 6 for the Ps3, not counting some exclusive downloadable stuff or some of the Japanese stuff you don't see on the Xbox. Microsoft, in contrast, basically scuttled a lot of 360 games in favor of the Xbox One.

UitDeToekomst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By UitDeToekomst

I chose both because I want to play every game that comes out and also because I am an idiot. Personally, I have always preferred the Xbox environment (achievements, controller, etc.) and plan to "main" the Xbox One despite the fact that I have zero interest in the Kinect and the TV integration nonsense. And if Xbox One turns out to be a colossal failure, I will still be able to play games on my PS4.

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marokai said:

I actually made the decision to get a Vita, in anticipation for getting a Ps4 next year after some of the OS bugs have been worked out, more system updates have been made, and any first-run manufacturing issues have been ironed out. I've been wanting a Vita for some time, but this just seemed like the right choice for me.

But in terms of why I've decided to get a Ps4 eventually, over an Xbox One, it's fairly simple; I just want a really good games machine. People can talk to me until they're blue in the face about snapping, media features, TV interfaces, and using voice controls. None of that stuff appeals to me and detract from it being a better gaming machine, and none of that stuff justifies what is a large price difference for a person in my position.

For me, I feel the Ps4 is powerful, and very functional. It has a minimalistic design that I find incredibly attractive. First party exclusives will look exceptional on it, and third party games will almost certainly run better on it. It's cheaper, and it's online service is cheaper and provides the better value. When I can't afford Plus, or just don't want to keep it up, I'm not locked out of F2P games or media features. Since I'll have a Vita, Remote Play is an awesome service that screams "this is futuristic" far more than loudly and robotically speaking voice commands with a 50/50 chance of repeating myself.

tl;dr I just think it's the better game machine. And if I'm buying a game console, that's all I care about.

Every time I see your avatar I think "He's probably going to say shit I agree with and then save me the trouble of posting"

It happened again

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sdharrison

I will add this:

Speaking as a mid to late 20s gamer with Netflix, a Vita and no cable TV: Buying an Xbox One would be an actively stupid thing to do.

And in terms of games - I'm Halod out. I'm Gearsd out. I don't care in the least about zombies. I don't like driving games. And if you put Injustice and Killer Instinct in front of me and demanded I play one, I'd want to be Batman. That about wraps up any potential reasons to even begin to think about the Xbox.

Broomhitches

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to choose both like I did last generation, but I don't want to pay for two subscriptions just to play online. The PS4 is cheaper and has more to offer with their subscription service so I'll end up buying that some time next year.

OGinOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sdharrison: So much for this not devolving into console-war hate.

CynicalBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CynicalBuzzard

I haven't picked up a nex gen console yet but when I do I will be getting a PS4. I want to wait for the bugs to be worked out and for more games to be released for it.

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By sdharrison

@oginor said:

@sdharrison: So much for this not devolving into console-war hate.

I actually think it's okay to talk about this stuff. Apparently it became an unwritten rule of the etiquette god that you can't have anything resembling a critical opinion about console comparisons. I had a 360 for about 6 years and paid for gold even when I didn't use it. I've always hated the dual shock layout. This time around?

Messaging: Sony sold me. Microsoft alienated me.

Features: Sony has things relevant to me. Microsoft wants me to have cable TV.

Hardware: Sony built a more powerful machine on paper and charged less for it. Microsoft is charging more for Kinect, a feature I've detested.

I'm sorry, but last time I checked we're allowed to compare products.

Christ, Sony even has Giantbomb regulars on staff while Microsoft sends Major Nelson to youtubers homes to sell the console. I think the passive aggressive battle being waged over market share in this space is actually really, really fascinating.

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

PS4. Xbox, like 360, is loaded with ads for human pieces of shit like Chris Brown and Miley Cyrus, plus bombarded with micro transactions in every aspect of its games. PS4 has fewer horse armor schemes than PS3 now that themes and profile pics don't apply. PS Plus comes with a ton of games, and far more recent and relevant ones (Dragon's Dogma and Resogun vs Halo 3 and R6 Vegas).

The menu is fast and simple and doesn't require the camera.

I'd rather play Uncharted 4 and Jnfamous than more Fable and Halo games.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Playstation 4.

Sony is my favorite publisher. Games first is my preferred philosophy.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

got this on Thursday
got this on Thursday
got this on Saturday
got this on Saturday

That's gonna be my next generation until sometime in 2014, whereupon we'll get a PS4 and a Vita.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#14  Edited By Hailinel

PS4, for a variety of reasons. It's the less expensive option, the more powerful option, the option more focused on games and less on being an all-encompassing entertainment experience, and the option that isn't Microsoft. After the technical issues that plagued the 360, I swore off buying another Microsoft console.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Andorski

PC - because I'm already invested in it with a current rig, although I just bought a bunch of hardware for my next build.

I feel like I need to pick up some console hardware within a couple of years though. The Wii U is starting to stack up some good games. I'll probably pull that trigger once Super Smash Bros Wii U comes out. I'm hoping that Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts 3 comes to PC, but I'm not holding my breath. If both of those games are good, I'll pick up a PS4 or Xbox One. I'm leaning towards the PS4 though since I generally enjoy Sony exclusives more than MS exclusives. Also, I fancy the idea of just paying for PS+ and playing whatever games come out for free on that service. It would be wise of MS to catch up to Sony in this regard when it comes to releasing good quality titles for free (via Games for Gold) on a consistent basis.

elko84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I chose both because I want to play every game that comes out and also because I am an idiot. Personally, I have always preferred the Xbox environment (achievements, controller, etc.) and plan to "main" the Xbox One despite the fact that I have zero interest in the Kinect and the TV integration nonsense. And if Xbox One turns out to be a colossal failure, I will still be able to play games on my PS4.

Well this guy pretty much said it for me. Kinect games I am not huge on, but the new Kinect's voice features are a lot better this time around. I'm all for navigating the entire console with my voice, which, has been working 95% of the time so far.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Neither so far, but I think I'm gonna have to go with the PS3.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By bigjeffrey

Xbox One, i like ms first party more.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By oldenglishc

Seeing these new consoles in action and the complete lack of exclusives that excite me, finally convinced me to build a good PC. I'm a little worried about missing out on some JRPG's, but the handhelds, Wii U, and current consoles should have that covered for the foreseeable future.

EDIT: Oh shit! Lucky seven post count! Time to go buy a lottery ticket.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I went with the PC, Wii U and the PS4. I wanted the Wii U because I really like the Nintendo exclusives and the gamepad has been pretty cool. Plus the virtual console (although a rip off sometimes) has some really appealing games. It's my favorite Nintendo console since the 64. Plus I like the miiverse, the UI's customization, and Zelda will eventually be on it.

I chose the PS4 because it's powerful, sleek, fast, and I didn't have to buy a camera. The launch exclusives were underwhelming (Killzone is really fun if a little shallow) but Infamous is around the corner and the multiplatforms like Battlefield and AC4 are pretty great and meaty. I just really liked the stuff Sony was selling. Really happy with it so far. Plus the controller is unbelievable. I want to use it for everything. The UI needs some work but I'm starting to like it more, I just want the main xmb bar to be customizable. That controller.....so good.

I may get an xbox if they remove the kinect, drastically change the UI, and move away from microtransactions and advertisements on a paid service. I like Halo and Quantum Break looks really neat. I still have a really bad taste in my mouth from the reveal.

PC is just great for everything.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By zombie2011

Xbox One, because that is what all my friends and family are getting.

Also they have the games right now, their launch line up has at least 4-5 exclusives I want to play, then I have all the 3rd party games and then Titanfall in March.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By hatking

Nothing at the moment. I had a PS4 ordered since back at E3, but I canceled it a few weeks ago (right around the time Watch Dogs was pushed back). Money is extremely tight for the next month or so, and I'm really not that excited about anything that has been shown so far. So, I'll wait until after the holiday season. I'll have more coin and more games available. Plus they'll be a little bit closer to getting all the UI kinks worked out by then. I do want to pick up one of these consoles within the year though (probably PS4). I bought my 360 about six months after it launched and had a lot of fun watching that system evolve through its lifetime, even if I do rarely turn it on anymore.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

PS4 because i find the whole idea of the Kinect ludicrous, why would i shout or wave my hand when i could just press a button? even if it worked 100% of the time, since when has pressing a button on a controller ever been any hassle? when did you ever go, aw jeez i wish they'd come up with an alternative for this all button pressing shit? it doesn't make any sense, it's awkward and disruptive to shout needlessly in your home, just what the hell is going on around here?!

even down the line if the extra cost wasn't a big deal anymore, there's the fact that navigating the menus almost seems dependent on it, and then there's the whole tv thing, which i wouldn't use at all, but sure, if there was an exclusive or two i really wanted to play, and i could afford it, i could ignore all that shit. but the PS4 already does exactly that for a hundred bucks less.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Canteu

A 3DS.

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hh said:

PS4 because i find the whole idea of the Kinect ludicrous, why would i shout or wave my hand when i could just press a button? even if it worked 100% of the time, since when has pressing a button on a controller ever been any hassle? when did you ever go, aw jeez i wish they'd come up with an alternative for this all button pressing shit? it doesn't make any sense, it's awkward and disruptive to shout needlessly in your home, just what the hell is going on around here?!

even down the line if the extra cost wasn't a big deal anymore, there's the fact that navigating the menus almost seems dependent on it, and then there's the whole tv thing, which i wouldn't use at all, but sure, if there was an exclusive or two i really wanted to play, and i could afford it, i could ignore all that shit. but the PS4 already does exactly that for a hundred bucks less.

Yeah. Good question. It's... Weird.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#26  Edited By StarvingGamer

PS4. I bought my 360 for Vesperia. Then I bought dozens of other exclusives because I dunno. Vesperia is the only exclusive on that entire console I would have regretted missing, and it wasn't even really an exclusive for a majority of the world. The One seems like more of the same. A bunch of uninspired mass-market dreck, TV stuff which is pointless because I don't have TV, and one interesting game from Remedy which will end up on PC just like Alan Wake did. And this time it looks like the PS4 versions of multiplat games are going to be superior so Microsoft doesn't even have that going for them any more.

EDIT: Things would be different if using a Kinect were more feasible where I live. Dance Central and Fantasia seem fucking rad.

hacksword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PC and maybe 3DS XL.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Both, because for the first time in many years, I could afford it.

BrotherBran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PS4, but only because i have a decent PC. Ill be able to get a bunch of those "exclusives" eventually on here

hinderk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I chose the ps4 because the 360 didn't really have many exclusive games that interested me and the ps3 did. The only 360 games that I really enjoyed were those made by Rare(which is a shell of its former self) and the Fable series.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Nasar7

I got both. They are exclusives on both consoles I am pumped for.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By RonGalaxy

PS4, because I like playstation exclusives. I have since the ps1. I doubt that will change.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

Waiting until about March until I make my decision. Leaning towards PS4, but might just go with Wii U, and get everything else on Steam?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

PS4 because the XBO isn't launching in my region for another year.

rangers517

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By rangers517

I chose the PS4 because it will have the better exclusives and the best console versions of all multiplatform games for the next 7 years or whatever. I don't really trust that Microsoft will have good exclusives. This chart shows why Microsoft has a few more launch games http://oi39.tinypic.com/991a85.jpg and it's because they've done nothing but Kinect crap the last few years and then up-ported the few 360 games they were working on for the One. I'd expect the same exclusive game output on the Xbox One as on this picture after this first year or whatever.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm leaning towards PS4 still. I haven't purchased my console yet though. I do really want to play AC4 though, but not so much to buy a console just for that and BF4 (though i hear BF4 is fucked on PS4 right now)

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Ben_H

I'll get the Xbox at some point but I have no interest right now. Maybe a Wii U, but probably not.

I am getting back into music so playing games is kinda taking a back seat again since it was my primary thing to do when I wasn't doing school stuff and now it isn't. I have to spend my whole day doing comp sci stuff on computers so I am trying to get away from also staring at screens for my hobbies.

Jazz fusion is really fun to play on bass.

TechDemoTREX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still the PS3, I trust Sony to continue supporting it. The PS2 was an awesome console several years into its successor's lifespan.

Bobbyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got a PS4 first mostly because Microsoft has been letting me down when they started trying to show me what the bottom of a avatars foot looks like. I think I'll end up liking the exclusives better for the PS4, too. But I'll get an Xbox One eventually though because I like video games and stuff

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41  Edited By viking_funeral

I'm going to get a PS3 next year. I think I can get a lot of titles I've missed out on for cheap, plus without region lock, I can bring them to Europe with me. Except P4A. I guess I'll have to import a UK version.

Eventually, a PS4. Might change by the time I finally look into getting one. My PC is doing fine by me right now, and my backlog is still a mile deep.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I picked up the Wind Waker Wii-U today and Super Mario 3D Land. It ended up being the only system that had games I wanted to play.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By HerbieBug

Jury is still out. I'm think about maybe getting a 3DS and going through the back catalogue of games I missed on that over the years.

Also, GOG has Roller Coaster Tycoon on sale for a fiver. I'm gonna get in on that. ♥

RawknRo11a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I ended up going with Xbox One (after they removed the always online requirement).

Pure and simple, Launch games. I'm a big Forza Fan and am really enjoying Dead Rising and Killer Instict.

EricSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both, because I like games.

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guys I like videogames so I just bought every console.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ripelivejam

Wii U, getting my Mario 3d World on, couldn't be happier :D

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Xbone mostly because games: titan fall, dead rising and believe it or not zoo tycoon is ballers

wyld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Xbone, because titanfall is around the corner. Really enjoying DR3 and BF4 now.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I picked up a Wii U simply because it has more games this holiday season that I want to play.