What Console is your main platform? What console are you getting next gen?

• 53 results
Avatar image for commandergermanshepard
CommanderGermanShepard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll What Console is your main platform? What console are you getting next gen? (247 votes)

Xbox 360, Xbox One 11%
Xbox 360, PS4 42%
PS3, PS4 47%
PS3, Xbox One 1%
 • 
Bismarck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Bismarck

Im a pc only gamer, but I do plan on getting a console. I will buy a cheap ass Ps3 for the exclusives and a few other games that were console only and probably early to mid 2014 try to buy a ps4.

CommanderGermanShepard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bismarck said:

Im a pc only gamer, but I do plan on getting a console. I will buy a cheap ass Ps3 for the exclusives and probably early to mid 2014 try to buy a ps4.

Yea how I am feeling to, might get the PS4 before I get a new graphics card though. Might actually wait for the proper release of the Occulus Rift to invest heavily into a mean PC again. Occulus Rift is still the coolest shit happening with gaming right now.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I have a PS3, although I don't really use it, I prefer PC. But I do plan on buying a console at some point, and as of now, it's a PS4. I'm also really looking forward to the new games, old consoles have been holding developers back.

HarlechQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Currently my main platforms are PC & PS3, recently sold my 360 and Wii... Preordered the PS4 this morning after the Sony press conference.

CommanderGermanShepard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Currently my main platforms are PC & PS3, recently sold my 360 and Wii... Preordered the PS4 this morning after the Sony press conference.

Just waiting on the local price before I pre-order.

Avatar image for rubberbabybuggybumpers
RubberBabyBuggyBumpers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i'm primarily a PC gamer. however, i do have love for some choice consoles. i'll wait about 2 years for the bugs to be worked out of the PS4 before purchasing it.

moonwalksa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By moonwalksa

I'm mostly just a PC user right now, but the 360 was my console for this past gen, the Xbox and GCN before that, and Nintendo systems before that. I've always kind of hated Sony and their hardware, even the PS2, but they've finally sold me. If/When I buy a next-gen console, it will almost certainly be a PS4.

Avatar image for deactivated-613c903ddf820
deactivated-613c903ddf820

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kind of already have a nextgen platform, it's called a PC. But if I were to buy a next generation platform it would definitely be the PS4 as it stands right now.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

PS3 -> PS4, though I do have a number of games I really like on my 360.

Wouldn't touch the xbone with a 10 foot pole. Especially since Sony is offering a consumer-rights friendly alternative with a lower price tag to boot.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My main is my 360 and I'm getting both next-gen. I'm waiting to see more of the launch line-up when I decide which to get first.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By Nictel

PS+ has made PS3 my main console, I expect it will do the same for PS4

Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm predominantly a PC gamer but I did have all three systems last gen. I might pick up a PS4 at launch but apart form that I don't know.

Nivash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got a 360 at launch and despite getting it replaced three times due to RROD (covered at no cost to me thanks to the warranty, thank God) I stayed loyal to it all throughout this gen and it saw heavy up until this spring when it eventually fell to the wayside.

I finally got some cash together and executed a major PC upgrade less than a month ago and the PC is now my major platform. I live in a fairly small studio apartment so hooking the PC up to the TV was a breeze, with a wired 360 controller and a 5m cable for the headset I'm able to effortlessly move between the desk and the sofa so I'm getting the best of both worlds right now.

With this in mind the draw of the "next gen" is considerably lower than it was for me even 6 months ago. I should be set hardware-wise for the multiplat games with my current set-up or at the very worst have to add a second GPU sometime next year at the fraction of the cost of a new console.

I know the zeitgest right now is strongly in Sony's favor but I'm still on the fence. Always-online or DRM is of no concern to me whatsoever. I've also noticed a tendency to like Microsoft's products more than the average techie for some reason (W8 is my favorite Windows version, for instance, and I actually liked the direction Microsoft took Live) and the possibility of inter-connectivity with the PC in some way remains a draw.

If I do get a next-gen console it won't be at launch. It will come down to the games in the end anyway. Right know the only console exclusive that has any draw for me is Remedy´s game, but if it will be a console seller for me remains to be seen.

nights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By nights

The Xbox and Xbox 360 were my primary consoles (barely touched my PS3) during the last decade, but I've pre-ordered a PS4. I've been a LIVE subscriber for the past 10 years and I'll probably end up getting an Xbox One at some point, just not come this fall. I'll wait until the Xbox One gets a price drop as I'd rather spend $500 on a new graphics card. I do a lot more PC gaming nowadays, so that coupled with the PS4 should hold me over for awhile.

CommanderGermanShepard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nictel said:

PS+ has made PS3 my main console, I expect it will do the same for PS4

Yeah, I will happily pay Sony for online pay, so will all the Xbox Live subscribers who are moving next gen. Seriously got a lot of respect for Sony now, a company I feel good giving my money to.

volemaulder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By volemaulder

My main is 360 and I'm gonna get a PS4 for my next console. I'm gonna miss that X1 controller, though. It looks pretty comfortable and, going by my experience with the PS3 controller, I'll probably be needing breaks every hour or so if I don't want to get hand cramps. Still, small price to pay for actually owning the console and the games I buy.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

Playstation all the way baby.

HarlechQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@harlechquinn said:

Amazon.de has it already listed for €399 and with the preorder price guarantee I should be on the "safe" side.

CommanderGermanShepard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@volemaulder said:

My main is 360 and I'm gonna get a PS4 for my next console. I'm gonna miss that X1 controller, though. It looks pretty comfortable and, going by my experience with the PS3 controller, I'll probably be needing breaks every hour or so if I don't want to get hand cramps. Still, small price to pay for actually owning the console and the games I buy.

There will be next gen 3rd party Xbox shaped controllers. This one was great for the PS3.

No Caption Provided

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Elite-Wireless-Controller-Playstation-3/dp/B003V4AK8E

kirkpipeline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By kirkpipeline

I've mainly been a Xbox guy ever since the launch of the original Xbox. But this generation is the first where I have the funds to buy both, so I'm waiting to see how the launch lineup look like to see which to buy first.

It's all about the games right? Right? I thought thats what we agreed upon. Now everybody seems to focus on the used games and the Kinect FapCam™

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I've been thinking of going PC this upcoming gen, but given Sony's showing last night, I'm starting to rethink my position. At this point I'm trying to figure out the economics of it all. Can I build a PC from scratch (with OS and HDD) for a $600-$700 range (PS4 price + 4-6 years of PS+) that can run games at decent settings for 4-6 years?

hacksword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

None of the above. I don't have a console now, I don't plan on buying a console in the future.

CommanderGermanShepard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've mainly been a Xbox guy ever since the launch of the original Xbox. But this generation is the first where I have the funds to buy both, so I'm waiting to see how the launch lineup look like to see which to buy first.

It's all about the games right? Right? I thought thats what we agreed upon. Now everybody seems to focus on the used games and the Kinect FapCam™

Yes Games!

Games we can play when the servers go off!

Games we can trade around with friends!

Games we can play offline the month it takes for new internet be installed in my new place!

CommanderGermanShepard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darth_navster said:

I've been thinking of going PC this upcoming gen, but given Sony's showing last night, I'm starting to rethink my position. At this point I'm trying to figure out the economics of it all. Can I build a PC from scratch (with OS and HDD) for a $600-$700 range (PS4 price + 4-6 years of PS+) that can run games at decent settings for 4-6 years?

Probably not, sure the graphics will look alright now but look at the launch of the 360 and compare the games that came out 5 years later, how much better they looked. Developers will just learn to squeeze as much power out of that thing in the future, something a medium range GPU won't do in 5 years.

moonwalksa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By moonwalksa

@kirkpipeline said:

The difference is that exclusives have never been less of a factor than they are today. Nowadays, a pure exclusive release is very rare - almost everything is multiplatform with the PC at the very least, because making exclusivity deals in this past console generation was generally not worth cutting out half of a game's potential market.

If everyone is going to have access to most of the same games (especially on GB, since so many people here also have a gaming PC for stuff like Titanfall), the most important issues become the features and restrictions inherent to each console.

CommanderGermanShepard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@commandergermanshepard said:

@harlechquinn said:

Amazon.de has it already listed for €399 and with the preorder price guarantee I should be on the "safe" side.

Sounds good, it's $620 over in New Zealand, the PS3 launched at $1099 here so I'm quite happy with it.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

360 / Xbox One

TheDoorman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tell you what I have been A microsoft fan for years and up until yesterday I was set on buying an Xbox one, but Sony really gave them an ass-kicking yesterday. I liked the exclusives that Microsoft has lined up and I really like Live as a service, but the lower price tag, No drm, and the majority of the games i play being multi-platform. I might just jump ship to the Sony side of things.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#29  Edited By Humanity

I tell you what I have been A microsoft fan for years and up until yesterday I was set on buying an Xbox one, but Sony really gave them an ass-kicking yesterday. I liked the exclusives that Microsoft has lined up and I really like Live as a service, but the lower price tag, No drm, and the majority of the games i play being multi-platform. I might just jump ship to the Sony side of things.

Same with me. I enjoy Live and vastly preferred my 360 to the PS3 but I just don't see enough incentives to hang around. Sure I'll miss my Gamertag with 5 years worth of memories and I don't really like the Dualshock all that much but those are things I'm willing to let go at this point. It's a shame because I really wanted MS to deliver a great new gaming experience and so far it just seems like an O-K one at best.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any console is going to be my secondary platform after PC but I pre-ordered a PS4 this morning. While I did sleep through half of their press conference, they seemed to have more games that I was interested in and less crazy shit to deal with and a lower price so that was a pretty easy decision to make.

PolygonSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By PolygonSlayer

PS3, PS4 and the poor WiiU for me :)

CommanderGermanShepard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thedoorman said:

An ass-kicking is an understatement, they are just beating a dead corpse now...

Loading Video...

Nivash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Nivash

@darth_navster: 4-6 years? Sorry, but I'm pretty sure that's out of the question unless tech requirements slow down like hell. My PC had components in that range before I upgraded it and it could barely run anything new. As in at all, no matter what the settings. It wasn't a very balanced or quality build (a power surge resulting in a need for emergency replacement hardware saw to that) but it's still useful

An example: it could run ARMA 2 acceptably well (~30 FPS on medium settings, but playable) which was released some 2-3 years after the processor and some 1-2 years after the GPU. Tried to run ARMA 3 Beta on it, for shits and giggles mostly because I got it when I knew that the upgrade was in the pipeline, and it was outright unplayable. Under 10 FPS on even the lowest settings. Complete slideshow - the CPU just couldn't cope.

This is a realistic way of looking at it: if you get a high-mid end to high end PC today expect to be able to run a few at games max settings and almost everything at high in a year, some games at high but most at medium in two years and everything after that is gamble - after 3 years you could easily end up being able to play some games that are very well optimized at medium settings for years into the future yet be completely unable to play others at all.

If you want to avoid headaches a good CPU will last you about 3 years, 4 years maximum. A good gpu will last you 2 years, 3 years maximum.

I'm also questioning if $600-700 will even get you high-end, I think the cut-off for that is more like $800. With mid end, you'll have to cut a few months from those estimates. And that's $800 for the rig alone - if you start from scratch, it will cost you another $200 or so just for a monitor and peripherals.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh no - for a while there MS was averaging 20-30% in polls like this. Now it's back down to 10%

Man, Sony has been saying ALL the right things.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

PS+ has made the PS3 the main console, and to the only console that I have played within the few months. That said during the last half year I have been buying games only for the PC and that wont change for a year or two.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a fluid situation depending on the games. I've been glued to my 3DS for the past couple months, and with a couple of games I'm excited for releasing shortly, thats going to be my main console until probably fall.

I preordered the PS4 and already own a Wii U, so I'll just run with those until the end of the generation when I can pick up an XBone on the cheap and play whatever I missed.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Currently, I guess it's PC, but out of these options, I'd have to say 360. It's probably going to be PS4 next gen (with a PS3 taped on top because no backward compatibility).

SythonX7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SythonX7

Currently I have a 360, PS3 and a PC. I plan to continue this through the next gen so I will buy both, and maybe treat myself to a new graphics card early next year.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sony. Been with Sony since the Walkman.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#40  Edited By grilledcheez

Early in the generation I mostly played 360, then I switched over to pc. I honestly don't know which console I am going to get initially (I could always get both in the future), the PS4 is certainly attractive, but the Xbox One has exclusives that I am interested in.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PS3 and sometimes PC for main but I will be buying the PS4.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Sony all the way for me. Last gen Microsoft got me to dabble in the 360 by aggressively courting JRPG developers. They don't seem to give a flying fuck now.

CommanderGermanShepard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sony all the way for me. Last gen Microsoft got me to dabble in the 360 by aggressively courting JRPG developers. They don't seem to give a flying fuck now.

Yea pretty excited about the JRPG's next gen, FFXV, KH3 and Dark Souls 2. Hoping for a PS4 version on Ni No Kuni as well.

volemaulder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By volemaulder

@volemaulder said:

There will be next gen 3rd party Xbox shaped controllers. This one was great for the PS3.

No Caption Provided

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Elite-Wireless-Controller-Playstation-3/dp/B003V4AK8E

I've always contemplated getting one of these, but I'm a little wary of the analogue sticks' deadzone. Every one of these controllers seems to have a few reviews complaining about deadzones or responsiveness. I guess we'll have to wait and see. There's always the possibility of the new Dual Shock not being so bad. Or I'll use the money that I'll be saving from not paying for XBL anymore to take a couple of risks with 3rd party Xbox shaped controllers ;)

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

PC/PC

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By sdharrison

I was XBOX 360 and PC. Never owned a PS3.

I'm getting a PS4 on launch day just because I've never been able to do that. Though I do admit the confirmed launch lineup is slim. But as a pure gaming machine, I think the PS4 is a great deal. Obviously they're facilitating the low cost with the PS+ fee, but... I paid for X Box Live. I'm used it lol

And surprisingly, I think I'll pick up a WiiU on its next price drop. I think dipping back into the Nintendo IPs in HD could be a great time and worth a few hundred dollars.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Currently 360. Most likely going to get the PS4. Mainly because the price tag and I'm not a fan of where Microsoft is heading with their polices and direction. The idea of being forced to use the Kinect for anything irks me a bit. I'm sure I'll get an Xbox One some time in the future, but it'll be in the distant future.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I got a PC & PS3 currently. I had two Xboxes incl. Kinect, which I liked a lot, mainly because one could install games (less noisy). I sold them because the Kinect did nothing for me.

I primarily play on the PC. Except shooters (oh the irony, it's because the controller equalizes skill levels a bit more). The PC is about 3 years old (GTX 470) and I am not sure if it is worth upgrading or getting a new one. It's noisy as f***, which bugs me a lot. So I will get a PS4 obviously, since I am invested the Sony ecosystem and have PS+ already, but I am not sure how I will prioritize the purchases.

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PC only. My dusty PS3 will/might be used when PS3 exclusives become dirt cheap some day. Might buy a PS4 in 3-4 years from now.

I dunno what kind of medical testing was done with the Rift, but it looks to me like the most eye/brain damaging shit ever. I'm not gonna touch it with a ten foot pole as of now.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PC to PS4. PS4 has better specs than my current machine, I believe and a new console would be cheaper than a new cpu and gpu.