What counts as metagaming?

MC_Izawa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MC_Izawa

For example, they call all the EV/IV stats and the tier listing stuff in Pokemon metagaming.
Do fighting games count?  I know the core game is to punch and kick other players, and you're doing that regardless of whether you look at tier lists, read the technical stats like weight/speed/damage, and know all the special things like cancels and counting frames or just mash the kick button over and over.  But is that extra level of strategy and knowledge designed into the game?  Do they make the game with all these things in mind?

Trnck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Trnck

I thought metagaming is something like Retro Challenge..

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By penguindust

I thought "metagaming" was playing a game in which you play a gamer playing a game like in Shenmue or a game within a game such as playing World of Warcraft Bejeweled inside of World of Warcraft.

This is "metagaming"...so very meta....

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#4  Edited By ahoodedfigure
@PenguinDust: *laughs* I love the Onion videos

I don't think I'd consider that metagaming just because those stats are part of the game, included with it, and sort of have direct pertinence to the game.  Maybe it'd be a bit more meta if you shoved the player you were playing next to, or hired some hacker to mess with his internet connection...  meta is sort of like a paradigm shift.  not sure if player stats quite count there, since they have directly to do with player performance with those punches and kicks.  maybe halfway there?