What criteria should Giant Bomb use for Game of the Generation?

• 69 results
doomed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Poll What criteria should Giant Bomb use for Game of the Generation? (253 votes)

Favorite 27%
Most influential 11%
Consider both factors 57%
Other 5%

"Favorite" would get boring - it would just be a mega game of the year thing. Most influential on its own would get even more boring - that's pretty objective and the deliberations would be over quickly. I guess a combination of the two makes sense.

Nintendo DS and PSP games should be considered in game of the generation on Giant Bomb. Limiting it to consoles makes no sense when the DS and PSP were clearly part of the same generation.

• 
Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@alexgbro said:

@believer258: 8/7 year generation

Go back to that original sentence and read it out loud and tell me that it makes sense. I said "what" because I didn't know what you were talking about in the first place.

@alanm26v5 said:

What's the deal with Burnout Paradise exactly? I know Jeff really loved it but is it really up there with defining a generation? I haven't played it yet so I have no idea honestly.

It's got great open world multiplayer design. It's something that GTA really should have learned from. It's great at incentivizing everybody to go to one spot to barrel roll over each other or have everyone do a wheelie on the same street at the same time or some other crazy thing.

Plus they supported the shit out of it. Motorcycles, a day/night cycle, 150 extra co-op challenges, new vehicles etc were all substantial free updates for the first 6 or 8 months. It was a great reason to keep playing the game long after release. Then they added cops/robbers, party mode and a whole new island of sick ass ramps as paid DLC. Again, the online was designed well. Everybody has everything downloaded whether they own it or not. If a game starts with something you don't own you don't get kicked; you just don't get to participate in that event. You can still go around doing the open world stuff, which transitions from online to offline mode seemlessly.

But Jeff really loves it because it came out during that period of time between Gamespot and Giant Bomb so he played the shit out of it because he had time.

Burnout Paradise's open world was great all except for the fact that there was no reliable way to know where you were going except by memorizing the map. In a game with speeds as breakneck as Burnout Paradise's, a turn signal that clicks half a second after I need it to and while I'm trying to dodge traffic isn't going to cut it. I just got lost during races one too many times to care at all for that game.

Maybe if you played it for fifty hours and memorized the city, you'd think differently. But I don't want to have to open the map over and over again during races to know where my next turn is.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

I think they should consider PC games as well. Just consider the games that were released within the time of the generation. Jeff was mostly right with his top three games of the generation.

I consider the Top Three to be Call of Duty 4, Wii Sports, and Portal.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

@believer258: You don't need to learn the entire map. You can get by with just using the main roads since there are only eight finish lines. Sometimes I'm a block off from the road that I want and it's a big detour to get around, especially out in the country. They did eventually add in a restart event option so it's not a big deal. When I started out I hated navigating the area as well.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Whatever they have more fun doing ... I kinda don't like how they don't want to include PC though. Feels a bit ... dismissive (in lack of a better term) towards that platform.

kariyanine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 1

@alanm26v5: Burnout: Paradise did a ton for asynchronous multiplayer as well as drop-in/drop out multiplayer.

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'm down with Jeff, it should be a list with the criteria of "is it burnout paradise" and go from there.

Avatar image for christopherson329
christopherson329

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Can anyone name a psp game that would even be considered a game of the generation?

Dragon_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#59  Edited By Dragon_Puncher
Avatar image for christopherson329
christopherson329

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

BRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is Mass Effect vs. Call of Duty 4 for me.

Fuck it, it's Braid.

misterz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@row said:

Personally I'd rather they just played their favourite games of the last generation. Make it a weekly premium video and not have to worry about really making a ranked list.

I agree with Row on this one. I come to GiantBomb for the one of kind content they produce. If I wanted a Most Influential Game of the Generation list I would go to one of the six cookie cutter sites that all post the same content. Watching the guys play their personal favorite games from the generation and talk about them would be more enjoyable in my opinion.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I was hoping they would just say, "Making a game of the generation pick is STUPID...only stupid knuckling-dragging imbeciles would think that was something that should ever occur."

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The overall top ten list from this year was a trainwreck. I don't care what they would come up with as a staff because the process is so absurd. Just do individual top 10s and call it a day. Anything resembling that last GOTY discussion is a waste of everyones time.

circlenine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably best to just judge it on the best graphics.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I"ll just save them the time and give it to Mass Effect 2, the rightful winner. ^_^

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#67  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

Most influential is the most boring criteria because it's just a list of the most popular games. I can already give you a list of the most "influential" games myself, but only Giant Bomb can give me a list of Giant Bomb's favorite games of the generation.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Nothing but spite.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

It should be favorite. Done like the Top 10. Then they can have a separate discussion on most important which would be Wii Sports obviously. You can also make an argument for COD 4.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It should be favorite, because if they go by important that list is already made. The most important games of last gen are all very obvious and unquestionable.