#1 Posted by JamesJeux007 (472 posts) -

Hey duders ! I'm sorry if this has been asked already, but I always wanted to try an old RPG. Seeing people get really passionate about them makes me want to see if it is a genre that I end up really enjoying. Here's the problem though: where do I start ? I mean, since I don't know if I'll end up liking the genre, I would like to start with the best, rather than the worst. But there are so many, and people seem to enjoy them for different reasons.

So, should I get Baldur's Gate ? Baldur's Gate 2 ? Icewind Dale ? Icewind Dale 2 ? Planescape: Tourment ? The Temple of Elemental Evil ? Thank you in advance :')

#2 Posted by jking47 (1211 posts) -

To be honest I have not finished any yet, but I really enjoyed the story/atmosphere of Planescape: Torment myself.

#3 Posted by Inkerman (1451 posts) -

Morrowind is a good choice I think, that's what got me into RPGs, although I guess it's not really that old.

#4 Posted by Jesna (84 posts) -

Play Baldur's Gate 2. Most of the others are too punishing for a total beginner without mods, and Planescape: Torment has kinda shitty combat.

#5 Posted by Flacracker (1675 posts) -

Planescape Torment works the best on modern resolutions because of the mods. While Baldurs Gate and those have the same widescreen mods, all of the sprites look way too small and scaling the screen looks too blurry. The Ghostdog's UI Mod for Planescape is really good and you can change the text size to something like +80% to make it actually readable on full resolution. Also, the sprites are bigger.

#6 Edited by Chrjz (329 posts) -

I'm sure there will be a lot of different opinions on this but Baldur's Gate 2 is a solid place to start. It's a bit deep for a first timer but if you're up to the task then it's worth it.

It may not be "old school" but Dragon Age is awesome as well.

#7 Posted by tarvis (75 posts) -

Torment has the best story, but I'd say Fallout 2 or Baldur's Gate II would probably be the easiest to go into cold.

#8 Edited by AndrewB (7613 posts) -

Why not buy all of them for $20 so you don't have to decide?

Oh, and the best... depends on what you're looking for. Best middle ground between awesome story and combat is Baldur's Gate 2 (obviously you *might* want to play the first, but if you've seen the Quick Look here, you'd know it's pretty rough going back to). I always suggest the Baldur's Gate saga as my favorite RPG of the past.

#9 Posted by Morello (80 posts) -

@JamesJeux007: Crikey, what a question. Planescape: Torment is a unique game that is fairly accessible, but has interesting mechanics, has a lot of charm, a great story and memorable characters, and you aren't even punished for dying, so that would probably be my suggestion. There are some mods out for it which you will want to enjoy it on modern PCs, and there are step-by-step instructions on the GOG forums if you decide to purchase it from there, or even if you don't. In fact for all the games you mentioned you'll likely want to use mods and the GOG forums have everything you need.

Baldur's Gate 2 is probably better than the original if you don't mind skipping the buildup to it, and the Icewind Dale series are more combat-orientated, although they do this well, but they are not easy so unless you want a big challenge I wouldn't necessarily start with these.

Regardless of what you start with you'll be getting a great game, none of those I would consider anything less than great. GOG.com have a big sale on at the moment so you can buy them now for half price I believe, or hold out on the hope that they'll be in a daily sale for even less - I would just take the plunge now on Torment anyway.

Have fun!

#10 Posted by Discoman (166 posts) -

My first cRPG was Fallout and that was not hard to get into.

Planescape is a great game with its atmosphere and story, but the combat is frustratingly hard, which it needs to be considering the main character cannot die. You will die quickly, and if you become a spell caster you need to 'rest' to reuse spells, which is dumb because it is independent of time passage.

#11 Edited by TyCobb (1972 posts) -

To be honest, I would try and find the easiest one and start with that. I loved Baldur's Gate 2, but it can really turn people off nowadays who didn't grow up playing those style games because they are difficult, take time, and don't hold your hand. I have no recollection which one would be easier because it has been too many years since I played. Shit I probably couldn't play Baldur's Gate 2 and not get pissed off and frustrated lol.

#12 Posted by sir_gunblade (124 posts) -

Picking one as your first experience is a tough one. I'd play Eschalon Book 1, it's inspired by old CRPGs, but is a bit shorter than most and therefore is a bit less of an investment. It works on modern machines, and you can find a character editor, to make your life easier if you have trouble. Also, it's fantastic.

#13 Posted by Itwastuesday (963 posts) -

FallOut 1. Fallout 1 fallout fallout 1 fallout 1 are you playing it yet because that is the correct answer to your question play fallout

oh but be sure to patch it up (as with any of these old games)

#14 Posted by jakob187 (21670 posts) -

@jking47 said:

To be honest I have not finished any yet, but I really enjoyed the story/atmosphere of Planescape: Torment myself.

This is the correct answer...

...followed by Divine Divinity.

Ya know, there is a massive holiday sale going on at GOG right now where you can get pretty much all those games you listed for, like, $40 or so.

#15 Posted by Salarn (465 posts) -
#16 Posted by thebeastwithtwobacks (140 posts) -

Ive only ever played planescape through. Im currently playing bg 2 and am loving it. Depends what you consider more important. Satisfying gameplay or an amazing story

#17 Posted by Pr1mus (3905 posts) -

Fallout 1 then Fallout 2.

#18 Edited by SirOptimusPrime (2007 posts) -

Planescape has really boring combat and suffers from the same thing as most cRPG's in existence (i.e. a very shitty opening sequence), but it has a good story and unique setting. Get past the first two dungeons and it's really good.

Baldur's Gate 2 has a nice combination of story and combat, great characters, some good sidequesting and is the precursor of the modern BioWare "do shit until you acquire [x] and then CRAZY happens" method. The combat near the end devolves into big mage fights with little focus on the cool shit the previous 50 hours was about, but it's still my favorite game of all time for a reason.

Icewind Dale is combat. It's a hack and slash with the Infinity Engine painted on top of it. If you just want to learn the mechanics of AD&D, then these are your best bet. The second one has all right story, but it becomes noticeably worse than the first on all counts after the ice level.

Temple of Elemental Evil is also pretty much cool combat scenarios, but with a different edition of rules than IWD or BG.

Fallout has a decent curve towards the end of the game where everything becomes retarded and you are ALWAYS the dude with power armor and a high powered energy weapon. Nonetheless, characters and incidental dialogue is on par with PS:T, imo.

#19 Edited by JamesJeux007 (472 posts) -

Woah... Thanks everyone ! Your answers have been really helpful !

Some of you have been telling me to get all of them because they are on sale on GoG and... well, that's kind of the reason I posted this in the first place. Unfortunately, I think it would be silly to buy a bunch of games that I'm not even sure I'm gonna like, and from what I have heard they are lengthy. Oh also, money.

Based on what you guys have told me, I think I'm gonna settle with Planescape: Tourment. If I end up liking it, I'll probably play Baldur's Gate 2. The reason is that I value story a lot (heck, VLR is on top of my GOTY 2012 list...

Anyway, thanks guys for the help !

#20 Edited by Laiv162560asse (487 posts) -

@JamesJeux007 said:

Woah... Thanks everyone ! Your answers have been really helpful !

Some of you have been telling me to get all of them because they are on sale on GoG and... well, that's kind of the reason I posted this in the first place. Unfortunately, I think it would be silly to buy a bunch of games that I'm not even sure I'm gonna like, and from what I have heard they are lengthy. Oh also, money.

Based on what you guys have told me, I think I'm gonna settle with Planescape: Tourment. If I end up liking it, I'll probably play Baldur's Gate 2. The reason is that I value story a lot (heck, VLR is on top of my GOTY 2012 list...

Anyway, thanks guys for the help !

Hey man, if price is a worry but you're still willing to spend $20, just buy the D&D Anthology from Gamespot or Gamersgate, since it has the 5 top candidate games that people are recommending here (other than Fallout). It still works out cheaper than buying them all 50% off at GOG.

Which game you should play first as an entry point depends on what you are looking to get out of a cRPG. If you want an engrossing story, go for Planescape; if you want depth of mechanics go for the Baldur's Gate series (or Fallout): BG2 if you want a blend of depth and character interaction, or if you want a huge world and free exploration jump in at the beginning, with Baldur's Gate 1. The story of BG1 is not exactly bad... it gets unfairly dismissed IMO - it's interesting in a political sense, it's just that it's not particularly emotional since there is nearly zero character interaction between party members.