• 56 results
#1 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

So remember how the Bombcast was going to be split? well, that didn't happen and I recall on one the Giant Bomb guys twitter (not sure, I think it was Dave?) but I remember them saying a new feature for subscribers would be coming soon. 

And I was curious as to what it was.

Thanks.

#2 Edited by Red12b (9084 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba:  
They are working on some "real cool shit" 

Is the last I heard.  

so yeah...look forward to that
#3 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba: Isn't it the live Whiskey Media Happy Hour?
#4 Posted by Ratinho (77 posts) -

We're all welcome to stay on Ryan's couch if we ever need to escape from any heat.

I'm sure that was mentioned,.

#5 Posted by RipTheVeins (1546 posts) -

I think they should try doing a live video stream of the Bombcast being recorded for subscribers, that way it'll be something new which won't completely separate the audience but still be focused on the Bombcast.  They wouldn't really have to do much more to provide this and it would barely affect the amount of man hours used to provide a new feature for subscribers, which was the main reason the Bombcast was going to be split in the first place. 

#6 Edited by MattyFTM (14384 posts) -

On the first bombcast after the subscriptions launched they said they were working on setting up servers for PC games, and on an RSS feed for video downloads for subscribers.

#7 Posted by Shirogane (3573 posts) -

Gaming servers are probably a great idea. Probably one of the best ideas i can think of really. 

But yeah, Happy hour? It seems a fair number of subscribers don't realise that non-subs don't get that, at all.
#8 Posted by LackingSaint (1814 posts) -

I heard subscribers get a 2nd Bombcast.

#9 Posted by laussica (181 posts) -

ummmm the good feeling of helping a great community that i havnt been able to find anywhere else?

#10 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

I did it for the medal.

#11 Posted by Grilledcheez (3947 posts) -
@laussica said:
" ummmm the good feeling of helping a great community that i havnt been able to find anywhere else? "
That works for us, but isn't a very good business model to use.
#12 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -
@SpikeSpiegel said:
" @NekuSakuraba: Isn't it the live Whiskey Media Happy Hour? "
Wait, wasn't that just the Friday night live show the promised?
#13 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

prety sure jeff said on one of the bombcast that they are setting up private subscriber servers. 

also more to come
#14 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5260 posts) -
@SpikeSpiegel
It is
#15 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

They have HD. That's all I care about, really.

#16 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

I want subscribers to get Quests a couple days earlier.  :|

#17 Posted by alternate (2705 posts) -

The direct replacement is meant to be the forthcoming video RSS.

#18 Posted by rjayb89 (7722 posts) -

I thought it was video feeds (or an RSS feed, I've never used them) to download videos of whatever you want and stuff.

#19 Posted by Necrotoxin (141 posts) -

We get HD and Friday Happy Hour as of this time.  

#20 Posted by CitizenKane (10506 posts) -

They are still busy working on some more stuff for us.  Just be patient.

#21 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -
@SethPhotopoulos said:
" @SpikeSpiegel
It is "
No, that was the Friday night live show...wasn't it?
#22 Edited by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba said:

" @SethPhotopoulos said:

" @SpikeSpiegel
It is "
No, that was the Friday night live show...wasn't it? "
It's the same thing, young keyblade master.  :|
#23 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" @NekuSakuraba said:

" @SethPhotopoulos said:

" @SpikeSpiegel
It is "
No, that was the Friday night live show...wasn't it? "
It's the same thing, young keyblade master.  :| "
Exactly, meaning it was not the replacement but a said feature from the start.
#24 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

I think Vinny offered to give hand jobs to subscribers, but I opted out of that.

#25 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -
@Axxol said:
" I think Vinny offered to give hand jobs to subscribers, but I opted out of that. "
He said only... 

YEARLY! 
#26 Posted by Gamer_152 (14078 posts) -

Jeff will personally show up at our door, high five us and then make the journey all the way back to San Francisco.

#27 Posted by Lukeweizer (2681 posts) -
@SpikeSpiegel said:
" @NekuSakuraba: Isn't it the live Whiskey Media Happy Hour? "
I hope not...
#28 Posted by snide (2413 posts) -

We're working on a way to allow protected RSS feeds of the videos so you can download videos directly through itunes or whatever media program you use. We're still trying to figure out the best way to protect these, but we're definitely working on it.

#29 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -
@snide said:
" We're working on a way to allow protected RSS feeds of the videos so you can download videos directly through itunes or whatever media program you use. We're still trying to figure out the best way to protect these, but we're definitely working on it. "
That's awesome! Can't wait for it.
#30 Posted by Jimbo (9809 posts) -

Anybody got their shirts yet?  I could go plant some cotton in my garden if it'll help speed things up a bit?

#31 Posted by Rmack (1078 posts) -
@snide:  Cool! Any word on a TF2 server? There's a new update out and I'd love to play it with some GB fellas.
#32 Posted by Jeffsekai (7032 posts) -

I'm sorry but can any one explain to me why the RSS thing would be useful? 

And game servers are dumb.

#33 Edited by ZeekDaGeek (261 posts) -
@snide: 
It would be impossible to do a cookie based system since iTunes wouldn't keep track of FireFox/IE's cookies. Why not dynamically modify a .htaccess file adding a username + passkey (definitely not their account password, which I don't even need to say since its probably all hashed). You can then use http://username:passkey@www.giantbomb.com/feed.xml

That assumes your using a web server that has .htaccess, but most things are Apache! <:

It actually seems relatively easy without actually writing it myself. o.o;
#34 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
@ZeekDaGeek: Are you referring to HTTP authentication? That would require the feed reader to support that, and I don't know if they all do. There's probably some software or hardware that doesn't, and it wouldn't be fair to lock them out. Also, if cookies aren't supported by the client, wouldn't you have to re-enter the password every time you access the feed?

MediaWiki provides RSS and Atom feeds for watchlists, which are protected by a randomized secret token that goes in the query string. Once subscribed you no longer have to worry about the token. That sort of method might work here. The token can also be changed though, so if someone else manages to get ahold of it, you could reset the token and that person would be locked out of the feed again.

Not sure how practical it is, but it's at least something to consider.
#35 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@Jeffsekai said:
" I'm sorry but can any one explain to me why the RSS thing would be useful?   And game servers are dumb. "
I think this might be the first time in my life I agree with you.  The hell would I do with the RSS feed, and I already play with the users I know here on different servers.
#36 Posted by mfpantst (2574 posts) -
@Axxol said:
" I think Vinny offered to give hand jobs to subscribers, but I opted out of that. "
I did it all for the nookie (yeah) the nookie (yeah), so you can take that cookie and stick it in your (yeah) stick it in your (yeah)
#37 Posted by Cretaceous_Bob (506 posts) -

For $50 I get HD videos for a year, a bitchin' shirt, and an extra hour of Whiskey Media a week. I got a deal, son.

#38 Posted by radar5 (160 posts) -

weren't the video downloads also only for subscribers?

#39 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
@radar5: Yes, but that was also there from the beginning.
#40 Edited by ZeekDaGeek (261 posts) -
@LordAndrew:  The link got blocked and I didn't notice but you can us http://username:passkey@www.giantbomb.com/feed.xml

Holy crap do they ever make it hard to post an effing example.com link!
#41 Posted by Gonmog (583 posts) -
@GrilledCheez01: No it is a good    business model, in fact a great one. They made us WANT to give them money. People where asking about how they where making money well before the paid subscriber thing was talked about. People where offering to donate money. For nothing.  If getting free money is not a good business model nothing is.  
They offer something that is not found often online, a group of people that do report news and go to big events and what not, but spend a large amout of time just being entertaining and acting like people having fun, not just news reporters.They interact with the online community a lot more then most if all other web sites out there. 
Tons of subscribers have said, they view there payment more as a donation more then buying a service.
#42 Posted by MeatBoy (51 posts) -
@Jeffsekai: It will allow me to stream Giant Bomb HD videos on my 42" through my PS3 via PS3mediaserver.  No downloading, just direct streaming.

Naturally, I can't wait for this feature to show up.
#43 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -
@RipTheVeins said:
" I think they should try doing a live video stream of the Bombcast being recorded for subscribers, that way it'll be something new which won't completely separate the audience but still be focused on the Bombcast.  They wouldn't really have to do much more to provide this and it would barely affect the amount of man hours used to provide a new feature for subscribers, which was the main reason the Bombcast was going to be split in the first place.  "
Jeff's actually explicitly stated that they don't plan to do that. He says podcasts and video are two separate things and should be kept separate. I used to like how Tested live streamed their podcast, but oh well. 

I think the RSS stuff was one of the ways they were making up for the lack of exclusive bombcast.
#44 Posted by Warchief (657 posts) -

we helped them stay in business. thats about all i need. 

#45 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
@ZeekDaGeek: Ah, okay. Now I see what you were trying to say. I forgot that sort of thing was even possible. So our ideas were actually more similar than I thought. Are there any key differences between the two methods that are worth noting?
#46 Posted by ZeekDaGeek (261 posts) -
@LordAndrew: Not really much of a difference. A php file as RSS with query strings would work exactly the same. Though Not too sure sounded like yours was all users with one query string, I think each user would need a unique hash and then IPs need to be tracked and then automatic alert for if one user's account is being accessed rapidly from 40 different IP addresses all across the world or something like that, then they get banned from RSS ;P
#47 Edited by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
@ZeekDaGeek: In mine, it was one string per user as well. That way it can be changed without locking everyone out, in the event that it needs to be changed. So it would indeed be effectively identical.

Also, I like your idea of banning people who try access the feed on a mobile device while traveling. :P
#48 Posted by ZeekDaGeek (261 posts) -
@LordAndrew:  Yeah because if your on a mobile device you're going to access from Toronto, California, New York, and London within 30 minutes. I'm not talking about banning people who access from one town different IP address. Its easy to resolve an IP to a general area using a free IP database, and from there you can visually see if someone made their information public or if they're traveling.
#49 Posted by Grilledcheez (3947 posts) -
@Gonmog said:
" @GrilledCheez01: No it is a good    business model, in fact a great one. They made us WANT to give them money. People where asking about how they where making money well before the paid subscriber thing was talked about. People where offering to donate money. For nothing.  If getting free money is not a good business model nothing is.  They offer something that is not found often online, a group of people that do report news and go to big events and what not, but spend a large amout of time just being entertaining and acting like people having fun, not just news reporters.They interact with the online community a lot more then most if all other web sites out there. Tons of subscribers have said, they view there payment more as a donation more then buying a service. "
I'm not sure I understand how relying on donations is a good business model.  It may appeal to us, the core users, but everybody on the outside of that would need a reason to give them their money.
#50 Posted by Einherjan (588 posts) -

I don't know about you guys, but I had three keys of genuine Columbian dropped off of my house. Coffee that is.