What did you guys think of the new show?

• 184 results
Avatar image for thevideohustler
TheVideoHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Poll What did you guys think of the new show? (514 votes)

Loved it! 16%
Liked it 31%
Good, but needs work 34%
Not really my thing. 19%

And how did the Gamespot staff being on the show effect your enjoyment of it? Both positively and/or negatively?

• 
TheVideoHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm legitimately curious as to what people thought.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I liked it! I thought the pacing was a little awkward as you could never tell how long they were going to spend on a game, but it was definitely entertaining, and I liked how GB and Gamespot staff came together. Wasn't the best thing ever, but it was definitely entertaining.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I thought it was good, but there were some low points. The Naruto and Atelier Ayesha segments were hilarious, so I'd prefer a focus on smaller, quirkier releases than big names we already know all about like SimCity or Tomb Raider. GB guys always more entertaining than GameSpot guys, but they weren't bad.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Ares42

Starting to become a bit too much overlap with quick looks, bombcast and then this show. It should probably only feature games they didn't QL.

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I already posted in that other thread though! I'll just repost what I already wrote:

My thoughts on the show today:

• It felt very forced, and very repetitive with what happens on unprofessional Fridays but with Gamespot people sometimes playing the games instead.
  • The Gamespot crew tried really, really hard to have WACKY PERSONALITIES when in front of the camera and thats what made people not like them. Chris worked well, but kind of fell flat for the first couple of minutes. The others just never found what worked. The guy who played ME3 was probably the worst out of the bunch.
  • Too many games, and a little too much "I don't give a shit about this game!" It's fun to rag on bad games, but doing the same thing for 11 different bad games gets really old really fast.
  • Was there really a need for two baseball games?
  • The point during the console Naruto game where the Gamespot crew said "fans of the genre" is the point where I threw up my hands and said "fuck everything!"

Honestly, it seems like an unnecessary addition to their current line up. I'm more a fan of having longer quick looks of a handful of games rather than "lets quick look everything in the week."

TheVideoHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed the show, as I do with pretty much everything Giant Bomb does. But I really didn't think that the Gamespot crew fit into the mix. For me, it's like the GB crew and viewers are a tight knit community, and seeing GS there felt really awkward to me.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#7  Edited By Yummylee

It was OK. Kinda generic as it was just a heavily compacted, quick-fire format of quick looks. I thought the Gamespot guys were fine. I wouldn't be heart broken if the show gets prematurely canned after a while in any case. It's still nice to finally have some Giant Bomb & Gamespot tag-teaming going on; I was hoping they'd introduce the concept for more Scrub Leagues or even GB x GS TNT's -- Acronyms Edition!

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MezZa

It was alright. Some of it had my attention and other parts had me bringing up a game to play while I wait for them to switch to something more interesting. Wasn't a big fan of the GS crew, but I'll withhold judging them too much until they do a few more shows. I'm all for more video content of them playing games, but it did feel redundant because it was basically just a lightning round of quick looks.

TheVideoHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheVideoHustler

@morbid_coffee: I agree with you saying it doesn't really add to the lineup.

Also, shit. I didn't know that thread was about the show as well.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I enjoyed it while I watched it, but it feels a little redundant when you look at the site as a whole. I didn't mind the gamespot guys.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Ill-conceived, I prefer long segments on games or franchises, not quick/boring looks at new games no one cares about. Most of it fell flat and if I wasn't at home to watch it live, I won't go back and watch a missed one like a RPCG or Unprofessional Friday (even though I'm loosing interest in that too)

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Winternet

My main issue with the show is how it was so rushed, especially during the first half of the show. Less games and more time dedicated to each is what I'm asking for future shows. And better criteria. I mean, the 2k baseball and the naruto handheld game served absolutely no purpose whatsoever. They were neither entertaining nor informative.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#13  Edited By pyromagnestir

The segments were so quick. I'm really unsure what purpose it served. Who was that show for? Was it just an excuse to be crazy? I don't know. It reminded me a bit of the Happy Hour, in a bad way.

sweetz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By sweetz

Giant Bomb is the Top Gear of video game coverage: what makes it so entertaining is the apparent friendship and interplay between the staff - and their willingness to goof around and rag on each other because of it. That's not there with the GameSpot staff, so when they take over the show it becomes refreshingly competent, yet ho-hum video game coverage. Just like you don't watch Top Gear for serious car journalism, people should realize they're not going to get serious, balanced video game coverage from Giant Bomb - and it seems they might have brought in the GS staff to try and fill what they perceive as a hole in that respect. I'm not sure there's a benefit to trying to mix the two in the same show. People can go to GameSpot for the serious coverage and people can go to Giant Bomb for the fun.

TheVideoHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sweetz: Great comparison with Top Gear. I think that GB/GS stuff would end up being like American Top Gear. They tried to mix the jokes with more serious coverage. And, well. It's not very good.

TheJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed both the speed and the Gamespot people. As soon as they get the pacing right this might be my favorite show of the week.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As was already mentioned, we already have enough information on the big releases with the quick look-podcast-review trifecta. If you're going to show these games again, maybe do something different with them (I have zero suggestions though).

Other than that, I enjoyed it. I like seeing new faces !

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By nightriff

I mean, people complain about them not being prepared in QLs, this is 1000x worse, they open the games right there and then bitch about not knowing what to do, well duh guys

Jerusahat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@sweetz: That's a really good way of putting it. I'm not sure how happy the GB crew would be with that assessment, but it's why I keep watching/reading their stuff.

The show didn't work for me at all, I only watched 5 minutes. Don't really care for Gamespot.

Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@morbid_coffee: The Gamespot crew tried really, really hard to have WACKY PERSONALITIES when in front of the camera

Yeah, I know. Justin Calvert's constant whooping and jazz-hands were pretty embarrassing.

TheVideoHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bribo said:

@morbid_coffee: The Gamespot crew tried really, really hard to have WACKY PERSONALITIES when in front of the camera

Yeah, I know. Justin Calvert's constant whooping and jazz-hands were pretty embarrassing.

Exactly. It happens with people who weren't made for comedy programming.

Illyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think one of the purposes of this new show is to introduce some of the GS staff to the GB community. I think they hope to have GB viewership spill over to GS. They just need to get used to the GB's staff way of having these live shows and relax a little.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By excast

I enjoyed it. I got a Whiskey Media Happy Hour vibe and there interplay between the sets was good fun. I agree that it is sort of hard to show every single game properly when some are only on screen for a few minutes, but it was good for comedy.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By LiquidPrince

In the brief 2 minutes that I popped in, I saw a bunch of people essentially getting banned from the chat. I dunno what was happening.

pewps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GIANTBOMB STRONK REMOVE GAMESPOT remove gamespot they are video game stench they are video game smell

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Animasta

@sweetz: Great comparison with Top Gear. I think that GB/GS stuff would end up being like American Top Gear. They tried to mix the jokes with more serious coverage. And, well. It's not very good.

it's not really a great comparison considering that GB doesn't have terrible people presenting it.

also I liked it, some low points but meh, better than TNT usually is.

low point includes the chat during the carolyn segments, obviously (I appreciate the mod team but even they couldn't stop all of it)

TheVideoHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheVideoHustler

@animasta: I normally watch in full screen mode and don't see the chat. What went crazy?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@animasta said:

@thevideohustler said:

it's not really a great comparison considering that GB doesn't have terrible people presenting it.

also I liked it, some low points but meh, better than TNT usually is.

low point includes the chat during the carolyn segments, obviously (I appreciate the mod team but even they couldn't stop all of it)

Yeah, as soon as I saw carolyn on the screen I took a deep breath because I knew what idiocy was going to be following in the chat. And...I was right unfortunately.

The show overall was pretty great though although I averted my eyes during the DmC stuff since I didn't want that spoiled. =D

dsi1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So uh, is this gonna anywhere on the site or did I just miss the show...

leinad44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the Gamespot guys will settle in with time, I thought they were pretty decent, no reason to dislike them

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Animasta

@animasta: I normally watch in full screen mode and don't see the chat. What went crazy?

she is transsexual and clearly so (unfortunately), take a guess

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the biggest issue why the Gamespot crew and Giant Bomb crew don't mesh well together is because it's pretty much opposite sides of the game journalism spectrum. The GB guys are way more cynical about video games than most other websites, but their views on games are genuine. If they don't like a game, they let you know why they don't like that game. If they do like it, they make some pretty good arguments about why it's good. The Gamespot guys just come off as the lazy game journalists, or the type who will say "this game isn't very good but I'm still going to give it a 7 because I'm afraid of giving it a low score," and as I mentioned before, use of the worst words to ever see when reviewing or talking about a game, "fans of the genre."

I have nothing wrong with the Gamespot people as people, but as game journalists it's very hard for me to take them seriously with some of that crap. And it definitely doesn't work with the way Jeff drilled it into the Giant Bomb crew to never do any of that shit ever.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Funkydupe

I really liked this. I also think it makes perfect sense to do these "co-op" shows once in a while. There are a lot of talented people working for both sites, and they see each other every day so I bet it is fun for them to work together as well in this.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Winternet

Maybe not do it live? Maybe something like the Gaming Minute but in video format, for like half an hour? It depends on what they are trying to achieve with this. If they are trying to be mostly informative, then a super edited video compiled of 3-5 minutes chunks of each game would be better. That way, there's no "hey, here is this game, we're gonna play the first two minutes of the tutorial, but not really and oh god what is what and now let's go over to the next game". If they are trying to be mostly entertaining, then maybe a tightly scheduled live program just does not work.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I prefer long segments on games or franchises

I enjoyed the show alright, but this a MILLION TIMES!!! stuff like the mortal monday they did back in the week MK9 came out, and what they did with the old Dungeon Siege games, is really something they should do more often.

I love to see them revisiting franchises and sharing their thoughts on the games in contrast to how they feel about them now.

Estwilde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thought it was a great first show. I don't really check out Gamespot but from what I gather they don't do a lot of live video / personality driven content (which is fine), so of course there may have been a little of nerves going if this was a new territory for people.

I can only see it getting better from here, if this is a regular thing they'd like to do. Although it may fall into the Happy Hour trap, where a lot of the staff felt like they'd arrive on Friday and have no idea what they were going to do for the show. New content is always great, but if you guys need to pace yourselves, that's cool too. Even a monthly Gamespot + Giantbomb team up for 'stuff they liked in <month>' could be cool.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morbid_coffee: I think you are overreacting, carolyn said fans of the genre once

that 'game reviewer' you're talking about wouldn't have fucked over that guy in sim city by planting all those parks in his city. or just straight up say "this game is broken and you should not buy it".

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta: I probably am. I just want the gamespot guys to act more natural if they keep going with the feature. The Tomb Raider bit was pretty good and it'd be nice to hear more of that instead of "look at me I'm so craaaaaazy!"

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta: I probably am. I just want the gamespot guys to act more natural if they keep going with the feature. The Tomb Raider bit was pretty good and it'd be nice to hear more of that instead of "look at me I'm so craaaaaazy!"

the only one that seemed that way was maxwell though, and I was amused because he looked like the guy from salute your shorts

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By nightriff

@rafaelfc said:

@nightriff said:

I prefer long segments on games or franchises

I enjoyed the show alright, but this a MILLION TIMES!!! stuff like the mortal monday they did back in the week MK9 came out, and what they did with the old Dungeon Siege games, is really something they should do more often.

I love to see them revisiting franchises and sharing their thoughts on the games in contrast to how they feel about them now.

Retro Wednesdays is a lot better idea

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I think the best part of the show was watching all the people stating stupid "Brad is leaving GB" jokes in the chat get banned. About time.

In a more on topic response., I think the show has the potential to be OK. It does seem that most of the Gamespot folks are less comfortable being on camera.

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta: Hell, even if it was just the Gamespot guys coming in and giving their thoughts on some of the stuff Giant Bomb reviewed? That would be pretty good!

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

what new show o.O

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

Just started, but I can see it going places. Though I was really hoping that Patrick (seemingly) talking to himself would be a segment by itself. Strangely hilarious.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By rebgav

they open the games right there and then bitch about not knowing what to do, well duh guys

Is that actually the premise of the show? If so I think I'll pass, it sounds like a bit of a waste of time.

Azurath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Azurath

I left Gamespot for Giantbomb, and I never intended to go back. I still don't want Gamespot to be a part of my life, ever.

Gamespot was forcing themselves to be entertaining, and in my opinion it completely backfired. They came off as fake, and the whole show seems like it was added with an ulterior motive in mind. Maybe GS is losing readers, and they are trying to snatch some of GB's?

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It made me want to buy on of those PS3 Naruto games. What one should I buy?

Also, Oink Moo.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I liked it a lot. The Aisha Tyler or whatever the fuck game was hilarious. The GameSpot guys were perfectly fine. People just fear change.

I do fear about the overlap between this show and Quick Looks but we'll see.