• 71 results
Posted by AcidBrandon18 (728 posts) 8 months, 19 days ago

Poll: What difficulty do you choose? (173 votes)

Easy (I just want to experience the story) 10%
Normal ( I want to see the story and be somewhat challenged) 63%
Hard/Legendary/Veteran ( I want to be challenged plus there is probably a cheevo/trophy) 27%

I was wondering on what kind of difficulty you guys choose when you first start playing a game. If it is a first person shooter I always go for the hardest difficulty while other games I stick with normal.

#1 Posted by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

Depends on the game. If I know going in I'm just playing it for the story then I put it on easy to avoid annoying situations in the gameplay that prevent me from progressing. Otherwise Normal. I find hard mode never means fun mode. It just means enemies become bullet sponges and now I have to F5 to quick save every 5 seconds and save scrum my way to the end. That's never fun. If bumping the difficulty actually meant I would need to use more strategy to win then I would be more include to do it, but more often than not it just means enemies get buffed to such a point that the game stops being fun.

#2 Posted by markies (62 posts) -

Normal. But if i'm playing it for the story and get 'stuck' at a part i might switch it to easy again.

#3 Posted by Shookems (474 posts) -

Grown up life means either playing on easy or never finishing games.

That said I played Infinite on Hard and it was a huge mistake.

#4 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5436 posts) -

Easy when I don't want to bother with the gameplay aspect and only want story. Normal most of the other time.

#5 Posted by vorpalparasite (285 posts) -

Normal unless the game specifies that veterans of the series should bump it up for a true experience.

#6 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19330 posts) -

I like to play the game how the developers originally intended it on my first playthrough. Usually, that's presumably the Normal difficulty.

#7 Posted by Yummylee (21546 posts) -

Always depends on the game. Something like Metal Gear Rising I jumped straight into Hard mode, and then you have games like Gears of War 3 that are designed for people who play games pretty regularly to play on its hard mode equivalent. I would say that normal mode is often the go-to for a lot of games, though. My general rule of thumb is to go with Hard mode whenever there's at least 4--with the Hard mode equivalent being the third--difficulty modes, or if it's a genre and/or series I would feel comfortable in jumping into the deep end with.

#8 Posted by Encephalon (1250 posts) -

Usually whatever's just above normal. I tend to check online to see what people are saying about difficulty first, though.

#9 Posted by BigSocrates (302 posts) -

Would probably be happier with Easy but always pick Normal because 12 year old me would feel too much shame, plus with cheevos your difficulty choice is forever marked on your account. I don't like games stressing me out, let my boss handle that. I also don't really play for challenge or accomplishment. If I want challenge or accomplishment I'll get that from my real life.

#10 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

.........Damn it. I can't find the Billy and Mandy clip I need. Whatever. Normal.

#11 Posted by McLargepants (375 posts) -

For whatever reason, putting it on Easy makes me uneasy. I think it stems back to when my friends would pressure me into playing on Hard. Anyway, I do normal now almost always, with few exceptions. I played Arkham Asylum on Hard initially, and that game is so much better that way (it takes away the counter indicator), and I played Deus Ex HR on "Deus Ex" mode, so the hardest difficulty, without reticles or something like that, and that was super fun. I guess I go for the harder difficulties when the game taunts me or says "this is the real way to play". Usually, however, I'm perfectly happy with normal.

#12 Posted by Disaya (290 posts) -

I go with normal. I only usually go with hard for a second play through or if the general consensus is that a game is way too easy on normal and it's suggested that hard is the better option.

#13 Posted by Hunter5024 (5635 posts) -

For the first playthrough I always do normal.

#14 Posted by DeadpanCakes (856 posts) -

Mostly normal, but I have no shame going to easy.

Might start off with hard if it's a game I've played before or am familiar with (KH 1.5 and Tales of Xillia come to mind)

#15 Posted by crithon (3138 posts) -

I've been leaning towards easy, especially after a lot of negative responses or even just people talking about story. At least on easy I can sample the game then come back on normal.

#16 Edited by ViciousBearMauling (1039 posts) -

Hard on first play-through.

Sometimes, that's a mistake and I have to go to normal, but other times it results in the best experience. (Last of Us and Metal Gear Rising.)

#17 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

Normally I just play on normal, but on occasion I will switch it up an play on easy. I only play on Hard or above on subsequent playthroughs, and I usually don't play a game on the hardest because its typically really unfair and unfun.

#18 Edited by csl316 (8469 posts) -

Hard, as the feeling of accomplishment gives my life meaning. Or something.

The real reason is that it makes you dig into the game mechanics. You really get the most out of a combat system or other skill-based aspect of the game.

#19 Posted by SgtSphynx (1362 posts) -

I usually just leave it at whatever the game defaults to, sometimes I'll bump it up if I find the game too easy.

#20 Posted by seveword (148 posts) -

If it's a game I've purchased and I know I'll get some replayability out of it, I'll go normal. If I'm borrowing or renting I'll go through on hard and beat it into the ground. Usually if the game is hard enough I'll play it until I'm sick of it and I never have to worry about it again.

#21 Posted by Hippie_Genocide (568 posts) -

I usually go for the hardest available difficulty as I like to be challenged in games. If I find it too brutal I'll dial it back. I can't imagine playing any game just for the story. Isn't that why our lord and savior, Al Gore, invented Youtube?

#22 Posted by myketuna (1679 posts) -

Normal.

Very rarely do I go Hard mode. Usually if there is word on the street that Hard mode is the way to go to get a bit more challenge, I'll try it out, but won't hesitate going back to Normal if I mess up.

It's even rarer I pick Easy. Nothing against it, I'm just used to Normal.

#23 Posted by DarthOrange (3858 posts) -

Usually normal, unless it is something that I know for a fact I will get a kick out of the higher difficulty like God of War.

#24 Posted by Christoffer (1799 posts) -

I usually play on hard. Not that I'm a video game wizard or anything, but I like a challenge more than smoothly running through a video game story.

#25 Edited by NTM (7344 posts) -

Easy, and then after that, the hardest. I never have liked middle difficulties. The first time is to just experience what the game has to offer, and then the second playthrough is for potentially making it more immersive due to having to pay more attention. There have been few cases where I did neither. As an example, my first time through on the first Black Ops, I just went through it on Veteran since I didn't think I was going to go through it again anyways, and I actually saw my brother play most of it through just before.

On the opposite side, as much as I love Dead Space 2, I never did the Hard Core mode because I never felt I had the time to do it, even if I did (I actually beat DS2 in one sitting which felt like 12 hours), and though I felt at some point I could beat it, I was always hesitant because if I died once without saving, it would make me lose any interest in doing it again, so I asked myself what would be the point in the first place. I did do impossible though. So yeah, I play on easy then hard.

It surprised me to find out how many people play on normal. I understand why people do it, but still. I like to go full on easy or full on hard with most games. Normal to me is like a mishmash, and I don't like that.

#26 Posted by StarvingGamer (8156 posts) -

Normal or Hard depending on the game

#27 Edited by ki11tank (682 posts) -

As an adult with a fairly high powered and stressful career followed by the other typical adult responsibilities I play most games on easy and have to avoid a lot of MP. I play games to relax and escape stress, so easy is where it's at. People that want all games to be super hard and 40 hours long *probably* have no lives or are superior humans (doubtful). I also know I don't have the time to sink enough hours into MP to get as skilled as I need to be so it'd be fun as well so that kind of blows but whatever.

#28 Posted by Christoffer (1799 posts) -
@ki11tank said:

As an adult with a fairly high powered and stressful career followed by the other typical adult responsibilities I play most games on easy and have to avoid a lot of MP. I play games to relax and escape stress, so easy is where it's at. People that want all games to be super hard and 40 hours long *probably* have no lives or are superior humans (doubtful). I also know I don't have the time to sink enough hours into MP to get as skilled as I need to be so it'd be fun as well so that kind of blows but whatever.

Or maybe some people consider a challenging hobby outside of work to be the best stress reliever.

#29 Edited by HH (609 posts) -

i don't even know what the stories of my favorite games are.

if it's not me against the game, then it's just me against the dialogue, and that is way more likely to lead to broken controllers.

#30 Posted by ki11tank (682 posts) -

Or maybe some people consider a challenging hobby outside of work to be the best stress reliever.

Just out of curiosity what do you do for a living?

#31 Posted by Gatehouse (610 posts) -

Usually normal, but every now and again there are games that I only play on hard. Any Dead Space game is instantly put on to hard mode after I got through a 1/3 of the first game on medium, found it too easy, reset and went on hard and found the whole experience about 100% better.

#32 Posted by Inquisitor_Sif (58 posts) -

Mostly, I would go with "normal" difficulty. But I'm quite interested in knowing how many people are willingly to start their first go on higher difficulty with games like Dark Souls (if it has one).

#33 Edited by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

I pretty much always put a game on easy and play for the story, provided it's a story driven game. Mass Effect 3 was one of the few exceptions since it's easy was child-like. Sports games I tend to play on the highest difficulty. Also I don't avoid hard games. I'm currently working my way through dark souls without an issue.

#34 Posted by hermes (1415 posts) -

If I am only interested in the story or have some time constraint (like being a borrowed game), I go with easy.

If I don't mind the challenge, it is a franchise I am familiar with or it has options to change the difficulty midgame, I go with normal.

I almost never play games on hard...

#35 Posted by BeachThunder (11849 posts) -

Usually normal, but every now and again there are games that I only play on hard. Any Dead Space game is instantly put on to hard mode after I got through a 1/3 of the first game on medium, found it too easy, reset and went on hard and found the whole experience about 100% better.

Yep. I started the new Dead Space on hard, same with BioShock infinite.

Mirror's Edge, on the other hand, is a game that I would consider to be an example of setting to easy for the best experience.

#36 Posted by Capum15 (4880 posts) -

Normal, sometimes Easy.
Only higher for specific games, really. I got super in Ace Combat 6 and beat that on Aces of Aces (or whatever was the hardest), and I've done co-op Legendary + Skulls runs in Halo 3.

#37 Posted by warxsnake (2650 posts) -

Come back from work to have fun, not to do more work and get frustrated.

So normal, or as the developer intended.

#38 Posted by Tesla (1919 posts) -

@ki11tank said:

I find it curious that you feel the need to assert how important you are and insult anyone that might be better than you at playing video games.

Anyway, it depends on the game for me. Usually I play on normal, but The Last of Us was a much better experience for me when I moved up to hard.

#39 Posted by Christoffer (1799 posts) -
@ki11tank said:

@christoffer said:

Logistics management. All I'm saying is that the challenge help some people (like me) to disconnect even further from work (or other stressful life elements). It doesn't mean that I have no life, that sounded a bit harsh.

#40 Posted by chocolaterhinovampire (1289 posts) -

I play normal and if I go for a second round I will bump up the difficulty

#41 Edited by CrunchyPickles (68 posts) -

@christoffer said:

@ki11tank said:

@christoffer said:

Logistics management. All I'm saying is that the challenge help some people (like me) to disconnect even further from work (or other stressful life elements). It doesn't mean that I have no life, that sounded a bit harsh.

It wasn't just harsh, it was fucking stupid to say. I'm a mask designer working 60 hour weeks and I can handle normal/hard difficulty in games. Being challenged by your hobby doesn't automatically make it stressful/not fun.

#42 Edited by ki11tank (682 posts) -
@tesla said:

@ki11tank said:

I find it curious that you feel the need to assert how important you are and insult anyone that might be better than you at playing video games.

Anyway, it depends on the game for me. Usually I play on normal, but The Last of Us was a much better experience for me when I moved up to hard.

Assert, as in state a fact about me? Yes this entire thread is about why we choose the difficulty we choose. I stated the fact that I have a very demanding and stressful career and because of that when I play games I don't need any more stress than I get at work, it's not too much but is my limit and only do it because it's "worth" it for my family. I have an executive position in finance and we'll leave it there. I don't have the time for many 40 hour games, nor do I want to punch myself in the balls when I do get a few hours to play. Too many people here take shit too personally. I still stand by the idea that people who want games to be super hard and near 40 hours are the hardest of hardcore or no lifers, there's simply not enough time in the day otherwise.

#43 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

These days ive been defaulting to hard. I really enjoy a challenge in games and normal is usually too easy feeling.

I'm not trying to sound "badass" or anything because i like to play on hard, since if it gets too frustrating or annoying i'll bump it down to normal.

I have a friend who plays most games on easy (mostly cus she's terrible at games but still). I think difficulty settings are great. They allow people who just want to breeze through it or aren't very good at it to play the game to completion, while allowing more experienced players a greater challenge if they want it.

Kinda gross people are judging others in here based on their preference, saying people who prefer harder difficulties have no lives? Come on...grow up.

#44 Edited by Christoffer (1799 posts) -

@ki11tank said:
@tesla said:

@ki11tank said:

Assert, as in state a fact about me? Yes this entire thread is about why we choose the difficulty we choose. I stated the fact that I have a very demanding and stressful career and because of that when I play games I don't need any more stress than I get at work, it's not too much but is my limit and only do it because it's "worth" it for my family. I have an executive position in finance and we'll leave it there. I don't have the time for many 40 hour games, nor do I want to punch myself in the balls when I do get a few hours to play. Too many people here take shit too personally. I still stand by the idea that people who want games to be super hard and near 40 hours are the hardest of hardcore or no lifers, there's simply not enough time in the day otherwise.

I hope no one took anything personal. I just wanted a discussion. Let's just play games the way we like and don't stress yourself out. Not worth it.

#45 Posted by CrunchyPickles (68 posts) -

@ki11tank said:
I still stand by the idea that people who want games to be super hard and near 40 hours are the hardest of hardcore or no lifers, there's simply not enough time in the day otherwise.

For you maybe. There are plenty of people out there with full-time (or overtime in cases like mine) jobs that still find an hour or so a day to enjoy a nice, challenging game. To imply that people who like harder games are probably "no lifers" goes along with the same mindset that people used to use when saying "oh you play videogames? What a no-life loser!"

#46 Posted by Tordah (2478 posts) -

I usually go with normal on my first playthrough, then bump it up to hard if I ever replay the game.

#47 Edited by ki11tank (682 posts) -

Totally understandable if you don't want to keep up with new releases. I guess I mistakenly assumed that's what we all wanted. My strategy allows to me get through a fair chunk of games and be close to up to date with current popular releases. It's also not really an implication, but more so a fact of time. Anyone with a lot of responsibilities doesn't have the time for hard games that take ~40 hours IF they want to stay current. I don't know why people get so sensitive, just the way it is. You simply can't put in 50 hours a week at work, take care of family needs, a house and then dive into hardcore gaming while staying current in the slightest.

#48 Edited by HH (609 posts) -
@ki11tank said:

I guess I mistakenly assumed

yep

#49 Posted by CrunchyPickles (68 posts) -

@ki11tank said:

Totally understandable if you don't want to keep up with new releases. I guess I mistakenly assumed that's what we all wanted that. My strategy allows to me get through a fair chunk of games and be close to up to date with current popular releases. It's also not really an implication, but more so a fact of time. Anyone with a lot of responsibilities doesn't have the time for hard games that take ~40 hours IF they want to stay current. I don't know why people get so sensitive, just the way it is. You simply can't put in 50 hours a week at work, take care of family needs, a house and then dive into hardcore gaming while staying current in the slightest.

I guess it depends on how many new games you consider worth investing time in. Maybe half of the new releases interest me, and even less interest me enough to buy on release. If I wanted to keep up on all new releases at all times, I wouldn't really be able to have much fun even playing on easy because I would have to rush through everything just to get to the end before the next big release comes out.

#50 Posted by Ezakael (935 posts) -

I have never started out on the hard difficulty for a game. Even after I beat it I almost never move on because I'm shit at video games so normal is my setting.