What do I need to beat before listening to GOTY podcasts?

Shaunage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By Shaunage

I always love listening to the hugely long GOTY podcasts at the end of the year, but I'd like to have as few games spoiled as possible on the way through them. This is the incentive I need to finally finish a bunch of the year's best games.

I finished Bioshock Infinite yesterday and Beyond: Two Souls today.

Earlier in the year I finished GTA5, Tomb Raider, Brothers, Saints Row 4, Gears of War: Judgment, Arkham Origins, Ryse and Dead Rising 3.

I still plan to do at least The Last of Us and Gone Home before listening to the podcasts.

Is there anything else with a good story that I may have forgotten about this year?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

You've listed the main stuff. Gone Home can be finished off pretty quickly.

Xavtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

If you think you'd care about it, papers please will get some spoilery discussion. The swapper probably will too.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@xavtron said:

If you think you'd care about it, papers please will get some spoilery discussion. The swapper probably will too.

Yeah, actually this too. I turned off the video where they decided to go to the end of Papers, Please.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By BBAlpert

Devil May Cry supposedly has some sort of "amazing sequence" that will probably be brought up. I don't know what it is, as I've just started the game, myself.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@bbalpert: While I think the DmC thing is cool and all, I think you can get it spoiled and still enjoy it while playing the game. It's not really twist-reliant. It's just cool to look at and play.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Definitely Gone Home and The Last of Us. I'd also recommend the Stanley Parable, Papers Please, and The Swapper. Not sure what kind of spoilers could be in something like the new zelda or mario, but those might be worth checking out too, if you have the systems (I havent played them).

Shaunage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Yeah, I do own both the new Zelda and the new Mario, but I'm not overly bothered about spoiling those. I'm about half way through DmC. Hope I still remember the mechanics.

Papers Please and The Swapper are a couple I might try get to. Not too worried about The Stanley Parable. I feel like I already know enough about that.

I've just finished Gone Home, and I absolutely loved it.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By OurSin_360

They should cut brads mic when he gets into spoiler territory lol. I only get to beat a few games a year, i have more than i probably will ever finish but i still hate spoilers lol

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

@shaunage said:

I still plan to do at least The Last of Us and Gone Home before listening to the podcasts.

Please play these two games before the endings are spoiled to you.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BBAlpert

@tobbrobb said:

@bbalpert: While I think the DmC thing is cool and all, I think you can get it spoiled and still enjoy it while playing the game. It's not really twist-reliant. It's just cool to look at and play.

Do you remember roughly how far into the game it happens? I'm in chapter 3 or 4, so I figure if it's something within the next few chapters, I'll try and push ahead so I can see it myself. If it's something that happens at the mid-late or end game, I just won't worry about it.

Edit: Also to be added to the list of things mentioned in Day 2's deliberations are the big revelation in Zeno Clash 2 and the ending of Dead Space 3 (but hearing Jeff and Brad describe it is probably more entertaining than seeing it yourself).

ryanwhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You didnt need to beat Beyond 2 Souls. Its not an element in any category. AC4, Bioshock Infinite, GTA4, and Last of Us are the big games to take care of. Papers Please, Stanley Parable, Gone Home, etc.

"Best moment might be tricky because a lot of shit games (Dead Space 3) have crazy assed moments worth experiencing and in fact the game being kinda crappy makes those rare experiences more memorable. Metal Gear Rising, Dead Rising, The Last of Us, and DmC are all gonna be braught up in that category.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

@bbalpert said:

@tobbrobb said:

Do you remember roughly how far into the game it happens? I'm in chapter 3 or 4, so I figure if it's something within the next few chapters, I'll try and push ahead so I can see it myself. If it's something that happens at the mid-late or end game, I just won't worry about it.

DmC is full of really amazing and incredibly well-designed sequences. Even if they do bring up what I think is the best one (the club level), every single other level in that game has an awesome, balls-out, totally awesome things going on it it.

spykereightsix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By spykereightsix

I think you need to at least see/play Papers Please, Gone Home and Brothers...at least to get in on a lot of the in-jokes going on. I just hammered through Brothers yesterday (thanks to the digital sale on Amazon), and while I don't think it's GOTY, I now kind of understand where Brad's coming from.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Windjammers

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BBAlpert

@bbalpert said:

@tobbrobb said:

DmC is full of really amazing and incredibly well-designed sequences. Even if they do bring up what I think is the best one (the club level), every single other level in that game has an awesome, balls-out, totally awesome things going on it it.

Thanks for letting me know that it was the club level. I thought I had seen whatever it was when I had to fight Roger Ailes' giant cyber head. But that part that you mentioned... holy shit that was something else, man.

triviaman09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I'd definitely at least play Gone Home (that game is like two hrs long). I also haven't finished TLOU but I don't think they've spoiled much of it thus far (I skipped a minute or two of them talking about it more in-depth).

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I haven't listened to Today's podcast yet (I've been busy with it being Christmas an all) but I will say, the first two podcast episodes: Day One and Two; don't require any games to have been played/finished as long as you do one thing: Skip to the 45 minute mark on the Day Two podcast (skipping the "Best Story Category"). Everything else doesn't spoil anything to any degree that will ruin a game (mostly just being hints at things which may actually make you intrigued enough to play it but then realise your inference was completely off the mark).