#1 Posted by Redsox44 (480 posts) -

So I'm looking into building a gaming pc that can run games pretty high or at least a noticeable difference from consoles. Too bad I don't know shit about building computers so I'm some of you can give me tips as to what's essential for a good gaming pc. 
I should say that this interest in building a pc was mainly brought on by wanting to play crysis 2 and battlefield 3 (won't mind buying some cheap games on steam that I missed either) well so I need parts that would be able to make those games look great but not necessarily top end.
 Tips? Suggestions?

#2 Posted by mfpantst (2574 posts) -

$900 more.

#3 Posted by Helushune (215 posts) -

You're not going to be able to do what you want for $600.
#4 Posted by Redsox44 (480 posts) -
@Helushune: 
Really? No way to mix and match cheap parts with some good ones  just to play games? Thanks though
#5 Edited by Obsidian (346 posts) -

Another couple hundred dollars would do you wonders if you don't need to buy a copy of Windows.  You certainly don't need $1500 to play most games on high settings but six hundred is pretty budget.  Techreport.com does a nice job with their system guides that they post every few months.  There should be one that can give you some nice guidelines coming out fairly soon.

You would probably be better off posting about this on a computer hardware forum like techreport's instead of a gaming one like giantbomb.

#6 Posted by Redsox44 (480 posts) -
@Obsidian:  Yikes, I might check those out. Might have save more cash then I hoped. :(
 I found a good guide here
http://www.hardware-revolution.com/budget-gaming-pc-q4-2010/
  Any specific video cards or something that you can recommend?
#7 Posted by Theory (85 posts) -

You don't necessarily need 2 grand to get what you want, unless you're playing games past 1920x1200. But with $600 you'll proly walk away with some very bare bone parts. 

my tentative breakdown: 
case: $100 
mobo+cpu: $250 (proly find something good enough in this price range when stuff goes on sale, so look out for that i suppose) 
vid card: $250 (factory oc gtx460 or that new 560 Ti) 

All that for only the big parts, not including power supply, memory, mouse+keyboard, monitor or anything else

#8 Posted by Hunkulese (2534 posts) -

$600 including a monitor?
#9 Posted by Helushune (215 posts) -
@Redsox44:
$600 is an extremely limited budget.  For what you want, you're looking at probably a GTX560 Ti which runs around $260 by itself.  Sandy bridge i5 which is another $200, toss in a board and there's your budget.  You'd still need to get ram, a psu, hard drive, and a case.
#10 Posted by Redsox44 (480 posts) -
@Hunkulese: @Helushune:  Cool ok $600 might not happen. But I don't need a monitor I think, I have a nice 22' vizio that i would use. So more reasonable for what I want would be $700-$900?
#11 Posted by Jimbo (9711 posts) -
@mfpantst said:
" $900 more. "
Well played.
#12 Posted by august (3812 posts) -
#13 Edited by RenegadeSaint (1477 posts) -

Not trying to self-promote, but I literally just built a pretty powerful computer for under $500. It took a couple months of patiently hunting out deals and waiting on rebates to come back, but you can get a great rig for that price. The key is patience. 

The detailed list of parts can be found in my blog here. If you want, I can post the parts list in this thread.

#14 Posted by Helushune (215 posts) -
@Redsox44: 
Yes, that's much more reasonable.  The biggest hurdle you're going to hit is going to be wanting to run Crysis on High.  If you can put down $300 for a Core i7 Sandy Bridge, a GTX560 Ti, and probably around 6gb of ram you'll be much better off than the $600 budget.
#15 Posted by ch3burashka (4913 posts) -
@mfpantst said:
" $900 more. "
@Helushune said:
" You're not going to be able to do what you want for $600. "
#16 Posted by Redsox44 (480 posts) -
@RenegadeSaint: That's pretty awesome I might not be able to find too many great deals but I'll look out for them after looking at what you got. Anyway I think I'm gonna go through with it. Even though I'm not a very good tech person. As long as it doesn't turn out to be too complicated.
#17 Edited by monkeyroach (175 posts) -

600$ is easy 

400$  on this bundle      http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.606690
200$ on this videocard  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121418

Will max anything at 1080p with no problem.

#18 Posted by Redsox44 (480 posts) -

Ok. By the end of summer, or the year hopefully I get it done.

#19 Posted by ShadowSkill11 (1783 posts) -
@Redsox44 said:
" So I'm looking into building a gaming pc that can run games pretty high or at least a noticeable difference from consoles. Too bad I don't know shit about building computers so I'm some of you can give me tips as to what's essential for a good gaming pc.  I should say that this interest in building a pc was mainly brought on by wanting to play crysis 2 and battlefield 3 (won't mind buying some cheap games on steam that I missed either) well so I need parts that would be able to make those games look great but not necessarily top end.  Tips? Suggestions? "
You're funny. Unless your expectations from the words "good" and "great" are far below most pc gamers definitions. $600 may be enough to get you to play those games in medium at best at around 20-30 fps at 1280x1024. Save up another $300-$400 and we'll talk.