What do we as gamers want from journalism?

Lucky_Sevans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By Lucky_Sevans

With physical print becoming a thing of the past, more and more publishing houses are turning to the internet to get their news out to their audience. However, in the case of gaming journalism I feel these publication houses have yet to find a standard formula that not only works, but also appeases their readers. With that being said what is it that we, the gaming public, would like to see? Is it more reviews and previews, is it more of an in-depth look into the games themselves, or do we want more interviews with the game makers? Along those lines, how do we want the material presented? Do we as the gaming public want shorter, more concise articles and reviews or do we prefer a writer who goes into a lot of depth and background? These are important questions that we as the gaming public should be asking ourselves. With physical print slowly dying out major changes to journalism are inevitable. When this time comes these publishing giants along with their writers will be looking to their readers to help shape the way such content is presented.    

Lucky_Sevans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Lucky_Sevans

With physical print becoming a thing of the past, more and more publishing houses are turning to the internet to get their news out to their audience. However, in the case of gaming journalism I feel these publication houses have yet to find a standard formula that not only works, but also appeases their readers. With that being said what is it that we, the gaming public, would like to see? Is it more reviews and previews, is it more of an in-depth look into the games themselves, or do we want more interviews with the game makers? Along those lines, how do we want the material presented? Do we as the gaming public want shorter, more concise articles and reviews or do we prefer a writer who goes into a lot of depth and background? These are important questions that we as the gaming public should be asking ourselves. With physical print slowly dying out major changes to journalism are inevitable. When this time comes these publishing giants along with their writers will be looking to their readers to help shape the way such content is presented.    

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

I've heard that a lot of people want shorter articles, but I prefer more in-depth looks at things. Oh, and I'd like more reviews/previews/whatever-views.

goldenmnk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By goldenmnk

why dose it say 0 post for u?

Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

i don't read much apart from original pieces of writing/ features which require some form of literacy  

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Video_Game_King said:
"I've heard that a lot of people want shorter articles, but I prefer more in-depth looks at things. Oh, and I'd like more reviews/previews/whatever-views. "
Reviews should definitely be shorter.  We just need to know what the reviewer liked about the game, what he didn't like and if we should buy the game or not.  Those are what reviews are for, right?  And with popular video reviews such as Game Trailers and Co-Op, people can find a faster and easier outlet to find the information they want on that particular game. 

But even though it's not journalism (there's not a lot on Giant Bomnb that is actually journalism), I feel that Giant Bomb is doing great things with their Quick Look feature.  It's basically a video preview of a game, and that's great.  I prefer to see those and listen to their opinions than read an article about the same thing.  I think that gaming websites should move more towards accessible information that won't take too much of your time. 

But there should still be place for the longer features, such as in-depth interviews or stuff about gaming culture.  Those are most often interesting.  And I think we would also like to see more developer-related videos such as the recent Giant Bomb video of the Randy Pitchford's office.
TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By TheHBK

Well since I mostly just get my news from Giantbomb now, I know i know, it is a limited source.  But I want more opinion or feature articles.  The quick looks, especially of bad games, are like that, but I want comparison and opinion pieces of game strategies and stuff, like what sony needs to do to get back in it, the way delays affect the landscape.  Ign does a little of this, but I want the hilarity that Giant Bomb offers.
Vitefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Vitefish
@TheHBK said:
" Well since I mostly just get my news from Giantbomb now, I know i know, it is a limited source.  But I want more opinion or feature articles.  The quick looks, especially of bad games, are like that, but I want comparison and opinion pieces of game strategies and stuff, like what sony needs to do to get back in it, the way delays affect the landscape.  Ign does a little of this, but I want the hilarity that Giant Bomb offers. "
I agree, I think game sites should have quick looks. But I guess that's what makes Giant Bomb unique. Oh well, as long as I still get some Quick Looks I'll be happy.
Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By Ineedaname
@Strongba1 said:
" @TheHBK said:
" Well since I mostly just get my news from Giantbomb now, I know i know, it is a limited source.  But I want more opinion or feature articles.  The quick looks, especially of bad games, are like that, but I want comparison and opinion pieces of game strategies and stuff, like what sony needs to do to get back in it, the way delays affect the landscape.  Ign does a little of this, but I want the hilarity that Giant Bomb offers. "
I agree, I think game sites should have quick looks. But I guess that's what makes Giant Bomb unique. Oh well, as long as I still get some Quick Looks I'll be happy. "
It's not just that, this forum provides everything, if something gets announced somewhere else chances are someone will bring it here, if it's a video it'll be on the site pretty quick, if it's worth noting one of the staff will post it as news.
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9  Edited By Suicrat

As far as journalizing video games go, I think Bradley Shoemaker, Jeffrey Gerstmann, Vincenzo Carravela, and Ryanward Davis do a pretty bang-up job.

Of course, I'll never pretend to get my vidjagame news from just them.

choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By choffy21
@Suicrat said:
" As far as journalizing video games go, I think Bradley Shoemaker, Jeffrey Gerstmann, Vincenzo Carravela, and Ryanward Davis do a pretty bang-up job.  Of course, I'll never pretend to get my vidjagame news from just them. "
It seems they cover stories that only interests them.

Which isn't bad, because when they do write a news story, it's great. But I just wish they did more.
Lucky_Sevans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Lucky_Sevans

I like the shorter review ideas myself. If I want to know about the game "previews" cover that well. When the game is out I just want to know what it does right and what it does wrong. It may say zero posts because I just joined today.

Avatar image for deactivated-135098
deactivated-135098

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

There's no one site that covers all my video game needs. Giant Bomb is great for their Quick Looks, Podcast, and has the best gaming community I've ever participated in, but their news and reviews are scarce. Gamespot is my go-to place for news, reviews and previews, though I'm not a fan of their other content. The Escapist, 1up, and (sometimes) IGN have the most insightful features. And there are more -- magazines included. So my digestion is dispersed across multiple sources, which I suppose is good considering it's a field I hope to break into someday and reading widely has more benefits than sticking to one source. 

Personally, I prefer in-depth reviews, because if I don't want to read the whole thing I can read the first and last paragraphs to get a good idea of the game. Then, if it piques my interest, I can go on to read the meat of the review. There's no compromise that way. Though I'll always favour conciseness over three paragraphs about the game's save system, a la IGN. Gamespot's getting better at it; they never publish a review more than two pages anymore. 1up's reviews are of perfect length, being around 800-1200 words.

As for games journalism in general, I have a feeling writers are going to have to adapt to a more mainstream style as gaming itself becomes entrenched in the mainstream. This means not only shorter, but better written articles. Gamespot's Kevin VanOrd and Tor Thorsen, 1up's Scott Sharkey, and OXM's Corey Cohen are all great writers who I think represent what all games journalists should strive toward.

raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By raddevon

If we are talking print, it needs to be nothing but features and articles. I don't need to read reviews, previews, and news in a magazine weeks after I have seen it online. I need deeper content that meets a higher quality standard and explores something novel. Anything that is time-sensitive should stay out of print.

In terms of online content, I still prefer features and in-depth content although I generally like my reviews short and sweet. I typically want to know whether or not I should buy the game. However, sometimes I want to know a particular detail about the game which is where the multi-page reviews come in handy. I want previews to be long and detailed since I can't yet buy the game. I want the option of knowing lots about it if I am going to the trouble of searching out information on it.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#14  Edited By LordAndrew

For me reviews don't have to be too long, but it needs to be long enough and provide enough information for me to be able to determine whether I personally would like it.

IGN's five page reviews are far too long, but I don't want something like Tim Tracy's review of Bejeweled either. They need to find a good middle ground.

AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By AURON570

Well... now that I think about it. I like it when long articles have pictures with captions to go along with the text (a picture's worth a thousand words). I like alot of GiantBomb's stuff because it has a more personal feel to the videos, the articles and reviews. I've started to go back to Gamespot since they cover more stuff than giantbomb. Also lately i've been watching my bandwidth intake, so I haven't been watching any videos lately on giantbomb, which is probably another reason why i've been going on gamespot more.  

on reviews: I like in-depth because as a person who can't/isn't allowed to buy games very often (think one or two games a year) I need to know as much about a game before I buy it and decide to learn and master that game.

P.S. if a picture's worth a thousand words then a video must be worth... a million words? I duno, but I wouldn't want it to be JUST video (especially since it takes up way more bandwidth).

raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By raddevon
@AURON570: May I ask why you are watching your bandwidth consumption? Are you under a particularly restrictive cap? Just curious.