Posted by 34f3ecwdc3 (162 posts) 1 year, 12 days ago

Poll: What do you choose and why ? (117 votes)

Handheld video game console 74%
Smartphoneys 26%

Next month I'm going to own a PS VITA . The old one, with the OLED screen. Wi-fi version and later some external memory. I am not much into smartphones, they are cute and fine but not my thing.

How awesome is your handheld video game console ?

#1 Posted by TooWalrus (13220 posts) -

Both, personally. I don't play games on my iPhone often but I like... the internet. And having a computer in my pocket.

#2 Posted by believer258 (11949 posts) -

Handheld video game consoles.

Phone games are good for a momentary distraction but you can't lay back on your bed or lean back in the recliner or something and be entertained for a good long while. Besides, a 3DS or a Vita can give you long stories with interesting and maybe complex gameplay, and iphone games just can't do that. The screen is too small and your fingers have to awkwardly cover up large parts of it for anything on it to be interesting in the way that I want video games to be interesting.

#3 Posted by Sinusoidal (1546 posts) -

Tough choice. I love my old DS and PSP, but at the same time my smart phone can do so much more than any handheld console, and play some awesome games (LG Optimus G Pro, 1080p, 5.5 inches, Snapdragon 600.) If I were stuck on a desert island and could only have one or the other (and a method of charging it,) I'd take the DS or PSP. Unless there's reception, then duhh!

#4 Edited by chiablo (941 posts) -

If we had 3DS quality games on iPhone, I wouldn't have a 3DS. There is such a huge push for garbage free to play nonsense on mobile platforms that it's rediculous. I'm willing to pay quite a bit of money for a great game, and don't appreciate being nickel and dimed to death.

#5 Posted by Demyx (3237 posts) -

I don't like playing hand held games to be honest. But if I had to choose I'd stick with handheld consoles.

#6 Posted by Morningstar (2174 posts) -

I don't play games on my phone, at all. I use it for text messages and making calls only. I do love my 3DS though, and I'll buy a Vita too at some point. I need my handhelds, as we don't get games like Shin Megami Tensei 4, Fire Emblem and the like on home consoles these days.

#7 Posted by muddy120 (19 posts) -

Who plays games on their phones?

#8 Edited by GorillaMoPena (2170 posts) -

@muddy120 said:

Who plays games on their phones?

I do.

I don't want to carry another device with me

#9 Posted by gokaired (541 posts) -

I only use my phone for music, I'd like a dedicated games system.

#10 Edited by Legion_ (1306 posts) -

My smart phone is my handheld video game console. And I never use it to play games. Because who would do that? Stupid people. That's who. And other people. But mostly stupid people.

#11 Posted by muddy120 (19 posts) -

Lol I see, I just think console games are better

#12 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2562 posts) -

Handheld and iPad - I don't game on my phone.

#13 Edited by ThePhantomnaut (6197 posts) -

Phones call people.

#14 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5595 posts) -

I'm a 3ds man myself.

#15 Posted by CByrne (229 posts) -

Last time I carried the PSP was when gran turismo came out. Just my Android phone with basic mindless puzzle games. I want a vita but it's s hard sell for me. Maybe when fez comes out for it.

#16 Edited by pyromagnestir (4324 posts) -

I play phone games more frequently, but for much shorter bursts then I play on handhelds. But since handheld games are... I don't know, better or something, than the phone games I play, when I find one I want to play I play a lot of it.

#17 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2418 posts) -

I play more games on my tablet because it's more convenient and the games are much cheaper, also emulators. My 3DS gets used for the big games like Pokeman and whatnot.

#18 Edited by TobbRobb (4666 posts) -

I don't play games outside generally. But I guess a handheld would be more comfortable controlwise.

The convenient option should be the phone since I carry it with me anyways, but that thing needs to save battery for more important things. Like anime on the bus, or surfing the web.

#19 Posted by TheUnsavedHero (1255 posts) -

I have a pre-paid Tracfone cell that is basically only useful for texting and phone calls. Just bought a Vita about a month ago and play it at work during downtimes. I love it so far.

#20 Edited by schreiberty (208 posts) -

If I had to choose one or the other, I'd choose the phone but if we're talking about video games on one or the other then obviously handhelds.

The exception to this was when i was in high school, because it was much easier to play games on my phone and not be noticed than it would to play on a handheld

#21 Edited by falserelic (5445 posts) -

handheld..

#22 Posted by Sinusoidal (1546 posts) -

*coughSNES9XforAndroidandaWiiClassicControllercough*

#23 Posted by Rick_Fingers (524 posts) -

Phones and tablets are my preference, as they allow me to do other things. I'm not huge on gaming on the move anyway.

#24 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

Phone games are dumb. The only good platform for them is iOS. Paying 1000USD for an iPhone out of contract compared to a 200 USD Android phone with similar specs just to play games is insane. Most of the games worth playing eventually make it to steam or other systems anyway.

You should really buy yourself a smartphone though. I can't believe that people still use normal phones. You can't even find normal phones in stores here.

#25 Posted by FriendlyPhoenix (424 posts) -

I definitely prefer my Vita and 3DS to my phone(to be fair, it's a pretty shitty smartphone), but iOS and Android games have been getting a lot better in the past couple of years. But I'd still rather have my dedicated systems.

#26 Edited by Tireyo (6426 posts) -

Handheld video game system all the way! I think iPhone games are rather boring, overly simplistic and most controls aren't great.

#27 Posted by csl316 (8775 posts) -

My Vita has gotten play nearly every day since I got it three weeks ago. It's something I always needed but never knew I did.

#28 Edited by Capsicum_Homie (28 posts) -

A vita & a 3ds are expensive and my pocket space is valuable. I'll maybe take a handheld on a long journey but that's a rare occasion and I have no commutes. I'd always thought that if the games were good enough I'd still buy one but it just doesn't seem like a good thing to throw my cash at.

#29 Posted by Nodima (1226 posts) -

Errr...neither?

I'd probably get a Vita if they were $50 or something just to have one around, but I have no need for a portable gaming device. I've had three games on my iPhone total in the nearly two years I've had it.

#30 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

i game out and about on my iphone as it is always in my pocket and i have a decent selection of games on it.

i would never carry a vita around with me as it is just to big and would never play a handheld gaming device at home when i have a gaming PC and a PS3.

#31 Posted by MonetaryDread (2045 posts) -

@muddy120:

I do. Why would I carry around a backpack / fanny pack / purse if I don't have to (because you are not fitting a vita or 3ds in your pocket). I will always have my iPhone on me because of internet, the phone, music, etc... so I do all my portable gaming on that. I actually have a 3DS, but I almost never use it. Plus, all the people complaining about the game on the system are either not looking hard enough or have weird expectations for what they think all games are supposed to be.

#32 Posted by MrNinjaSquirrel (15 posts) -

I voted for handhelds, but to be honest I probably play more often on my phone. It's just more convenient when you have it right in your pocket all the time, though the games certainly aren't on the same level as stuff on the Vita/3DS, for the most part.

Except for Cut the Rope that is, that game is way better than it ever had a right to be ^_^

#33 Posted by Whitestripes09 (412 posts) -

Phone games are more of like time sinks and usually rely on getting into the action quickly and dropping it just as fast.

Handhelds are like console games, but just more mobile and don't have that great of graphics (although vita games look quite amazing, especially with that OLED screen). I play them on long trips, before bed, and sometimes just for the hell of it.

#34 Edited by zombiepenguin9 (534 posts) -

I prefer handheld consoles. Nothing against mobile games, but I'm not really into the quick, momentary style of game play that seems to dominate that market.

#35 Posted by Hunter5024 (5709 posts) -

I've only found like 3 mobile games that I ever really enjoyed. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.

#36 Edited by Hailinel (24977 posts) -

I do all of my handheld gaming on dedicated gaming handhelds. I've only played a couple of smartphone games, and neither held my interest long enough for me to consider dedicating more time to my phone as a game platform.

#37 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

How many cow-milking games does the Vita have? Because if it has more than one, I'll buy it.

#38 Posted by mjk0104 (205 posts) -

If I had the money for a hand-held I'd probably go with that, but for now my phone is perfect for killing some mindless time drawing lines or bouncing balls. Also, lots of free games is nice :)

#39 Posted by audioBusting (1564 posts) -

After I got a Vita, I don't play much games on my phone anymore. Cheap smartphones are enough for what I do with my phone (mainly messaging, web browsing and podcast listening.)

#40 Posted by StarvingGamer (8287 posts) -

Playing games is great, but you can't survive without a phone.

#41 Posted by 34f3ecwdc3 (162 posts) -

@ravenlight: Unfortunately not many games, and now I don't think I want it this soon. I am going to wait for a while, when they will produce more bigger and better titles. For the moment, vita is worth for AC Liberation, Killzone Mercenary, Metal Gear Solid and they will release Borderlands 2. Also the collection from God of War.

~ I have a shitty mobile (LG) and I use it for alarm, music when I run in the morning and calls. That's all I need, a cheap shitty mobile with touchscreen that will not make me regret when I will crash it against the wall. Someday.

#42 Edited by McLargepants (384 posts) -

If I had to choose one or the other, I would absolutely go with smartphone. Gaming isn't great (though there are some fun ones), but the rest of the uses make for a much more useful device that I need to have on me all the time.

But I don't have to choose one, I like my Vita a lot, I don't often carry it around though, and don't use it every single day, or even every single week but it's good to have a dedicated gaming device.

#43 Posted by MikeJFlick (443 posts) -

I tend to beat up phones, because I use them constantly, I have them jangling in my pockets with my car keys and other such things, the last thing I want to do after having a phone that looks like someone has just used a piece of sand paper on the screen is to play a video game on.

So that makes me a handheld fan.

#44 Posted by OtakuGamer (1243 posts) -

I'm planning to get a PSP Vita to complement my PS4 and to play Persona 4 Golden Edition. I don't play games on smartphones at all. It just doesn't have much to it other than tap tap tap and swipe swipe swipe.