Edited 1 year, 4 months ago

Poll: What do you consider a 'spoiler'? (68 votes)

Story 97%
Unlockables and abilities 15%
Game mechanics 13%
Settings and level design 35%
Characters you encounter 68%
Setpieces and 'memorable moments' 75%
Enemies and bosses you fight 57%

I just watched parts of the Tomb Raider QL but I had to stop because, Brad got into some stuff I would consider a spoiler. I know there are different opinions on what is considered a spoiler and I also know Brad doesn't think game mechanics and unlocks can be spoiled but I do. In fact I consider almost anything a spoiler which happens after the first hour, which is why I go on a media blackout as soon I have decided I want to play a game. What's your take on this?

#1 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19305 posts) -

Everything except for maybe unlockables, abilities and game mechanics.

#2 Edited by MentalDisruption (1618 posts) -

It varies from game to game, but I'll just say all of them except unlockables/abilities and game mechanics. The problem with this is that sometimes settings, characters, etc. you encounter might be spoilers or they might not be. If they're key to the story and the developer doesn't intend for you to know about it beforehand then I'd say its spoilers, but if its just some setting that you run through to get to another more important area or some character that's just passing by then I wouldn't care. It's not really a binary kind of deal that can be described for all games. I don't feel like I can accurately answer the poll because of this.

#3 Edited by mrfluke (5046 posts) -

#4 Posted by Soapy86 (2619 posts) -

Nothing. People need to not be such fucking babies when it comes to spoilers. It's been scientifically proven that spoilers don't hinder your enjoyment of something. In fact it has the opposite effect.

#5 Edited by Guided_By_Tigers (8060 posts) -

Generally nothing for me.

#6 Posted by WickedFather (1730 posts) -

@soapy86 said:

Nothing. People need to not be such fucking babies when it comes to spoilers. It's been scientifically proven that spoilers don't hinder your enjoyment of something. In fact it has the opposite effect.

Your mum's gonna die. Enjoy that, did you?

#7 Posted by kortex (444 posts) -

@soapy86: guess i forgot the 'nothing' option :)

#8 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8060 posts) -

@soapy86 said:

You really are a wicked father, aren't you?

#9 Edited by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -
  • Story: Blatantly saying anything about an important plot point is the biggest sin in the bible
  • Unlockables and abilities: A part of the experience, a big chunk of them are supposed to be a surprise or an important game-changer.
  • Game mechanics: Same as above ^
  • Characters you encounter: Many games drop character names throughout the game and make you wonder whether you'll meet them etc.. This is a forbidden zone for me. ESPECIALLY when the game wants you to think a character dies earlier on, only to turn out that they didn't. Mentioning them would ruin that.
  • Enemies and bosses: A lot of bosses and enemy types are unexpected and even shocking. This is also taboo.

Basically game discussion is forbidden. Close down the forums!

I don't think setpieces and certain moments are spoilers because most of the time they're mentioned in a way that only someone who played the game understands. You fight the dragon in Witcher 2, GO FIGURE what I mean or whether it's an important part or not. Only those who played would know. Anyone who didnt, simply learned from my statement that Witcher 2 has a dragon fight, which wasn't a secret to begin with.

#10 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19305 posts) -

@soapy86 said:

HAHAHA. "It's been scientifically proven." Please.

#11 Edited by LiquidPrince (15833 posts) -

@soapy86 said:

Who proved this science? How would you prove a feeling that isn't physical?

#12 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19305 posts) -

@liquidprince said:

@soapy86 said:

Who proved this science. How would you prove a feeling that isn't physical?

I bet he's taking it from that 2011 study that obviously proves everything.

#13 Posted by kortex (444 posts) -

• Story: Blatantly saying anything about an important plot point is the biggest sin in the bible
  • Unlockables and abilities: A part of the experience, a big chunk of them are supposed to be a surprise or an important game-changer.
  • Game mechanics: Same as above ^
  • Characters you encounter: Many games drop character names throughout the game and make you wonder whether you'll meet them etc.. This is a forbidden zone for me. ESPECIALLY when the game wants you to think a character dies earlier on, only to turn out that they didn't. Mentioning them would ruin that.
  • Enemies and bosses: A lot of bosses and enemy types are unexpected and even shocking. This is also taboo.

Basically game discussion is forbidden. Close down the forums!

I don't think setpieces and certain moments are spoilers because most of the time they're mentioned in a way that only someone who played the game understands. You fight the dragon in Witcher 2, GO FIGURE what I mean or whether it's an important part or not. Only those who played would know. Anyone who didnt, simply learned from my statement that Witcher 2 has a dragon fight, which wasn't a secret to begin with.

Dude, spoiler!! ;)

#14 Posted by mosespippy (3975 posts) -

@fluxwavez: @soapy86: There was, in fact, a study that showed spoilers can lead to increased anticipation which leads to more enjoyment. My problem is that it treats all spoilers as the same and average out enjoyment levels. There are some moments (many of which came up in yesterdays greatest moments of the generation topic) that only have their impact because of the work you put in to achieve that moment. So it may in fact be the case that spoilers increase enjoyment in books, movies or TV shows but something like video games or sporting events can still be ruined by spoilers.

#15 Posted by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

@kortex: You fight the dragon within the first 15 minutes of the game, that's my point, the statement is too vague to matter. It could mean that I'm talking about that early fight, or that maybe there's a second fight, or even 10 fights, or he could be the boss, see, only one who has beaten Witcher 2 knows which one it is.

The only flaw in my proposed scenario is the people who quote the vague statement and point out that it's a spoiler. Then they turn it into a spoiler by acknowledging that it is. I'm not talking about you or the dragon, maybe you haven't even played it and you assumed I spoiled something. If you reply and further explain your position then you might risk turning my statement into a spoiler, is my point.

I'm tired of typing.

#16 Edited by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

@soapy86 said:

It sure hinders my enjoyment of something so I guess I'm the fucking exception to that "fact".

#17 Posted by mellotronrules (1171 posts) -

nothing. spoilers don't get to me. it's like, kinda all about the journey, man.

#18 Edited by PenguinDust (12436 posts) -

This. Story, characters you encounter, set moments, enemies, etc...are part of the exploration of a new game. Reveling those can lessen some of joyful surprise a fresh experience offers.

#19 Edited by Soapy86 (2619 posts) -

Oh my. Look at all the mad.

#20 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2205 posts) -

Story and characters, particularly if certain characters die or turn evil as well as if there is a twist in the story.

#21 Posted by Zornack (186 posts) -

It really just matters how invested in the game I am.

For a game like Bioshock Infinite everything is a spoiler to me. I haven't read any interviews on the game and won't be watching the quick look or reading any reviews. I want to play the game completely fresh and even if it turns out to be a pile of dog shit I'll still want to experience it.

For a game like Tomb Raider, which I bought after watching the Quick Look, I wouldn't care if the entire plot/weapons/whatever got spoiled, I'm not that invested in it. It looks like a fun ride but I don't mind if I know the game's secrets before diving in.

#22 Posted by TheHT (10796 posts) -

big half-point to end game story beats

twist locations (desert in Lost Planet example if not advertised)

characters you encounter (surprise encounters not advertised ex. that old timer in MGS4)

setpieces (this isn't a big deal, but i prefer big moments remain fresh ex. the nuke in Modern Warfare)

enemies and bosses (if it pertains to a twist or character reveal).

besides "twists" it's pretty much a case by case thing.

#23 Posted by kortex (444 posts) -
#24 Posted by Nightriff (4862 posts) -

3 months, you haven't seen/watched/played/listen to "x" in that amount of time it can be spoiled in my book, Patrick don't give a fuck anyways and just spoils whenever he feels like

#25 Edited by SlashDance (1801 posts) -

Everything that makes you say "oh I wish I had discovered that for myself".

#26 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (954 posts) -

Spoilers only really irk me if it's from a story driven game. Like, if you were to say "you get this item/power/party member at point x" then I don't give a shit. If you then say "also, the world blows up," and I'm heavily invested in the story and haven't reached that part? Fuck you.

But if it's like a month or two after the game came out and I haven't played it yet? It's my own fault for getting spoiled.

#27 Posted by Sergio (2037 posts) -

I skip any media outside of opinions if I plan to play a game that has a story. So I already know I won't watch the Tomb Raider QL. I watched the Sim City QL, since there's no story. I'll watch the Etrian Odyssey QL up to the point that I decide to play it, if I do.

Also, give one calendar year from release before spoiling. Not everyone buys a game at release. Some people will get a game as a gift within the year

#28 Edited by WickedFather (1730 posts) -

@wickedfather said:

@soapy86 said:

You really are a wicked father, aren't you?

Urrrh, when I woke up today for once I'd remember what I'd written and groaned straight away. When my ban comes it'll be deserved. In my head that was a sketch scenario with a doctor telling you (the observed) the news and you saying "Oooh, great, I'll enjoy that!" I'm already a dick and booze makes it worse. I make no excuses.

The 'scientific proof' was a study with a few dozen students and a selection of short stories with and without spoilers. Tiny sample set of similar age and lifestyle subjects in one type of media and the level of enjoyment of those with the spoilers being a small percentage above the ones that didn't have them. Plus the type of spoiler can also be styled to increase tension like when you get the "One hour earlier..." in shows when you see somebody in a dire situation. It's a nod in a direction but could be meaningless.

I really don't like spoilers. Even if you say something has a twist that's a spoiler and you're a dick. I've just watched the entire Battlestar Galactica for the first time. Half the fun was trying to work out what the hell was going on in Gaius's head.

Spoilers can add to the fun if they're well crafted but most of the time it's an idiot with a megaphone shouting from the top of a bus who loves having the idea of superiority by having one up on you because they've seen it before you.

#29 Edited by audioBusting (1461 posts) -

Anything that changes the experience for me. The twist in Bioshock is pretty much a spoiler because when I found that out (before finishing the game) it was all I think about whenever the dude talks to me. I don't care if so-and-so dies in a TV show or anime (that might even pique my interest instead) but I don't want to hear about Tyler Durden or Bruce Willis etc. etc. because that'll just be too distracting. I'd want to save that experience for the second time through.

edit: by which I mean it could be anything, really. Maybe there are games with mechanics that may spoil the game? Maybe whatever guns there are in Antichamber (which I haven't played yet, but knowing what that game is like it could be something crazy)?

#30 Posted by Winternet (8000 posts) -

It depends. If it's something that is glaringly pivotal in the story then yeah. But even then it has to be close to me experiencing the game. If it's something someone tells me 2 or 3 months prior then I won't remember it. Hell, I even don't remember a certain section that was on the Quick Look when I play the game 1 or 2 weeks after watching the QL.

Also, if it's something not story related and you're calling it a spoiler, then something is wrong with you.

#31 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3481 posts) -

Giraffes.

#32 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

Mainly just story for me, but also puzzles if too many are shown.