• 69 results
#1 Posted by Ontheocho (184 posts) -

I'm right in the path of Irene, and we'll probably get hit some time in the early A.M. of Sunday. I'm desperately charging all of my personal entertainment devices, but it looks like that, when the time comes, we'll be without power for close to a week. So I pose this question to the GB community; what do you do when the power is out?

#2 Edited by Adamsons (877 posts) -

Jerk it like there's no tomorrow.

Edit - this works two-fold for you, because of the imminent natural disaster.

#3 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Books lad, books.

#4 Edited by PeasantAbuse (5120 posts) -

Eat half-melted ice cream and cry.

#5 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4038 posts) -

I've constructed a chamber that puts me in a state of hibernation and gives me pleasant dreams of doing what I would normally do: play games, watch questionable anime, and post on the Giant Bomb forums. I made one grave mistake however...

...it runs on electricity.

#6 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Those are... dark dark times that I do not speak of 

I remember when the power went out for two days right after i bought Red Dead Redemption last year. Dear god.

#7 Posted by ajamafalous (11592 posts) -

@Adamsons said:

Edit - this works two-fold for you, because of the imminent natural disaster.

Fucking lol

#8 Posted by Afroman269 (7388 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Books lad, books.

e-books!

#9 Posted by Dany (7886 posts) -

Read my Kindle.

#10 Posted by Ontheocho (184 posts) -

@Afroman269 said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Books lad, books.

e-books!

I agree with this; I still haven't finished the Game of Thrones series, but I'm concerned with my Nook's charge. It has not delivered on it's multiple day promise.

#11 Posted by Afroman269 (7388 posts) -

@Ontheocho: Which is why I love Kindle.

#12 Posted by ValiantGoat (370 posts) -

I usually impatiently wait for the power to come back on. Seriously though, portable game systems and reading is what gets me through. If it's safe enough go outside and enjoy natures wrath for a little while, but of course don't bother if it's sketchy.

#13 Posted by EquitasInvictus (1869 posts) -

I guess I'll finally be able to play with my Nintendo DS for the first time in years.

#14 Posted by Dany (7886 posts) -

@Ontheocho said:

@Afroman269 said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Books lad, books.

e-books!

I agree with this; I still haven't finished the Game of Thrones series, but I'm concerned with my Nook's charge. It has not delivered on it's multiple day promise.

Whick nook? My kindle can hold a batter for weeeks. Is it the lcd nook?

#15 Posted by Video_Game_King (34616 posts) -

I transform into the Engineer and just whack the power box until the power goes back on.

#16 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

Cry, mostly.

#17 Posted by Vexxan (4598 posts) -

Read books/study.

#18 Posted by Kurtdyoung (1289 posts) -

A week? Fuck. Buy a guitar.

#19 Posted by Kurtdyoung (1289 posts) -

@Dany said:

@Ontheocho said:

@Afroman269 said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Books lad, books.

e-books!

My kindle can't hold any batter. It's too flat :(

#20 Posted by Ontheocho (184 posts) -

@Kurtdyoung said:

@Dany said:

@Ontheocho said:

@Afroman269 said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Books lad, books.

e-books!

Curse you spell check!!

#21 Posted by Dany (7886 posts) -

@Kurtdyoung said:

@Dany said:

@Ontheocho said:

@Afroman269 said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Books lad, books.

e-books!

It's usefull when making some cookies and the recipies is on the bowl

#22 Posted by Branthog (7332 posts) -

Moving from the west coast to Denver, I've found that power goes out several times a year (and resets several times a month or more often - which has required a nice investment in UPSes). I suppose I could do a lot of useful things when the power goes out. Especially during the day. However, I usually take a nap or listen to podcasts until the battery dies. That's right - if there's no technology available, I just give up and go to sleep. I don't know how I would handle any sort of apocalypse.

#23 Edited by HydraHam (1338 posts) -

Depends on the day and time, if it's a weekday and i have work the next day i just run my gene and read then goto bed (yes, i read actual physical books, fuck that e-book bullshit)

If it's during the day or a weekend or i don't have work the next day i just go out, why stay at home in the dark and just sit there?

#24 Posted by Swoxx (2980 posts) -

I share my internet from my iphone to my macbook and go on like nothing's changed?

#25 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

No one said fap? I guess I'm the first one.

#26 Posted by Fajita_Jim (1463 posts) -

PSP + Generator = hours of fun. Then my thumbs cramp all to hell and I end up just sleeping till I hear the fan spinning again. Had a few days like that this past spring with all the storms and such.

#27 Posted by AbeTheGreatest (132 posts) -
@ch13696 said:
No one said fap? I guess I'm the first one.
First post man! 

and uhh read a book, exercise, hang out with the people you live with etc
#28 Posted by UnrealDP (1217 posts) -

I've got a box full of candles under my bed for the use of reading in occasions along those lines.

#29 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -
@Dany

@Ontheocho said:

@Afroman269 said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Books lad, books.

e-books!

I want your kindle.
#30 Posted by mrfizzy (1464 posts) -

@Ontheocho said:

I'm right in the path of Irene, and we'll probably get hit some time in the early A.M. of Sunday. I'm desperately charging all of my personal entertainment devices, but it looks like that, when the time comes, we'll be without power for close to a week. So I pose this question to the GB community; what do you do when the power is out?

do you have a girlfriend/wife and do you want kids? Coz if the answer to both of those is yes then this week might not be a bad time to get going on that. Apart from that, read.

#31 Posted by Strife777 (1433 posts) -

I cry myself to sleep.

#32 Posted by Dunchad (460 posts) -

For me, losing the power usually means there's a thunderstorm outside. So when that happens, I go to bed and try to fall asleep. That way, it's usually stuff powering back up that will wake me up.

If it was for a week? God, I don't know. I'd probably take a 3 hour bus ride to my parents place and take refuge there. I can't survive without electricity.

#33 Posted by YetiAntics (1489 posts) -

battery management and a wifi hotspot at the McDonalds until they kick me out.

#34 Posted by CitizenKane (10501 posts) -

Read a book

#35 Posted by crusader8463 (14321 posts) -

If I know ahead of time, thanks for reminding me by the way, I will hope to have fully charged my MP3 player and put about 10-12+ hours of podcasts on it to pass the time until it comes back. If I haven't been smart, or didn't know it would happen, then I usually just sit and stare at the flame of a candle until the power comes on. Also, masturbation is a good way to kill 15-20 min.

#36 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Play Ubisoft games.

#37 Posted by Skytylz (4015 posts) -

I went a week without power two years ago in the dead of winter.  Ice storm knocked out power lines everywhere, it was pretty boring.  I just hang out with friends and read a lot. 

#38 Posted by piropeople13 (398 posts) -

I hook a power inverter to my car to I can run my laptop.

#39 Posted by Xeiphyer (5589 posts) -

Best time to pull out the portable electronics or read a book if you have decent light =P

#40 Posted by Redbullet685 (5980 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish said:
Play Ubisoft games.
Nice. Though that doesn't make much sense, since his power will be out, not just his internet.  

Anyway, read a book.
#41 Posted by solidejake (484 posts) -

I go to the sewers, go charge it myself, and in the process, learn a new power! Zeke will be so impressed!

#42 Posted by Subject2Change (2965 posts) -

Drain my PSP, DS and Laptop Batteries. Followed by my Phone battery. Then pray the power comes back.

Read; novels and comics. Nap. Get drunk with my roommate(s)

#43 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

I just listen to music or go around the house scaring people.

#44 Posted by crusader8463 (14321 posts) -
@Redbullet685 said:
@LordXavierBritish said:
Play Ubisoft games.
Nice. Though that doesn't make much sense, since his power will be out, not just his internet.   Anyway, read a book.
Laptops don't need a constant power supply.
#45 Posted by TheSilentTruth (1105 posts) -

Bitch about the lack of having electricity and play Pokemon.

#46 Posted by Kombat (2205 posts) -

I have a portable LED light, and then my Kindle 3 which has a pretty goddamn long battery.

#47 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

I would probably be a lot more productive, actually... After the initial onset of severe boredom, anyway. 

Man, that actually sounds good to me. Maybe I should unplug for a little while. I'd probably be amazed by what I could do.

#48 Posted by apoptosis61 (600 posts) -

shoot yourself

#49 Posted by Mars_Cleric (1587 posts) -

maybe cuddle up with a lady friend by candlelight

#50 Posted by Capum15 (4573 posts) -

Either read a book while listening to music, play Pokemon Emerald on my Advanced, or take a nap/go to sleep.