What do you do when the staff hates a game you are playing?

• 157 results
dkraytsberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I just got Destiny and am really enjoying it, yet due to the overwhelming amount of GB hate about it, I feel hesitant to read the site. What do you all do when the guys hate on a game you are currently enjoying?

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

I go about my day as normal.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Just ignore it. In your case just don't read or watch anything with Destiny on it, and skip over the parts in the Bombcast where they talk about it if it bothers you that much.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#4  Edited By Slag

I continue to have a good ole' time with the game. (and kinda pity them a bit for not feeling what I feel)

nonused

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By nonused

Cry myself to sleep.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I take it as their opinion and I respectfully disagree (because we don't have to agree on stuff).

Shaunage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I think it's often interesting to hear a differing opinion to mine, especially when it's going to be explained as clearly as these guys are capable of.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, I rarely agree with Jeff. I know that ahead of time, but I do like hearing his opinion regardless.

rjpelonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Accept that others will have their own thoughts and opinions. You might not agree, but that doesn't make them wrong nor does it make you wrong. Keep on keeping on with Destiny and if you want to skirt around every time they talk about it, that's fine too.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you know you like it then reading someone elses opinions won't change that.

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Life would be boring if we all liked the same games ;-)

MarvinPontiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Commit seppuku.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

I

can't

think

cause

I'm

raging

so

hard...

Actually, I couldn't care less, Vinny, Rorie and Dave were really the only ones that played games that I enjoy.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't care. I may not watch content about that particular game if I think they're getting it totally wrong, but there are plenty of games that I like that the staff doesn't, and the staff disagrees about games constantly. The official GB party line is that opinions differ and if you like a game they don't like that's great, because people should enjoy the games they buy.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The staff seem to regard it fine. This isn't a new Dynasty Warriors game. Jeff seems to think it's only okay. Dan seems to think it's meh but engaging. Drew is psyched about it. And Brad actually seems to find it rather entertaining.

They don't appear to hate it in any way, shape, or form. So, I just go about my time on Giant Bomb as usual.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone who takes that to heart needs to see a therapist IMO.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

I might voice my dissent, but I'll keep enjoying the games.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

I respectfully disagree and shrug it off, because at this point I don't agree with the GB staff on a lot of things. That being said, I can only name a handful of quick-looks where I was actually annoyed at their misrepresentation of a given game.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I post hate mail to the office.

FrankNelson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Keep playing it. I like reading Jeff's reviews but he is mostly negative on the kind of games I enjoy. Millions of people bought Destiny, and not everyone is going to like it. Just enjoy it.

dkraytsberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All of your comments are valid and encouraging. I feel much better now :) Thanks!

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Deal with it, and move on with my day.

Odie_Esty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Odie_Esty

Well with Metal Gear I just sort of waited for the segment to end, but then Dan Ryckert showed up and spread his immaculate tastes among the GB crew. SO I guess wait for another guy to join the crew with your tastes.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I stop playing the game. Obviously if they don't like it, then it's a bad game that shouldn't be enjoyed.

http://i.imgur.com/afBTAMJ.gif

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Make fun of the staff for having terrible taste.

dkraytsberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turambar: Maybe not bad taste, but they do get hung up on things occasionally. Like the story in Destiny is crucified, but Diablo's story is glossed over. Why? Both games have story for same reason, as vehicle for killing mobs.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#28  Edited By rjayb89

I print out a review or written transcript of what they say about my favorite video game on the Bombcast then wipe my ass with it.

That, or respectfully disagree and move on.

KentonClay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I like hearing different opinions on things I like, even extremely negative ones, as long as they're well articulated. And even if they're not well articulated, it's not like they're insulting me, personally, if they insult the media I happen to enjoy.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grantheaslip: I think you've also illustrated the value in taking advantage of the resources you have as a member to represent a different opinion of such games. Writing well-done blog posts and reviews of these games helps represent your distinct perspective on them. :)

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Kill a puppy. Every time.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I blame this attitude of "Others' opinions must agree with my own!" on a school system that's eliminated all competition so no one is ever the 'loser'. This is what happens when you tell everyone they're special. Guess what? You're not so special after all. People won't always agree with you. Welcome to real life.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grantheaslip: I think you've also illustrated the value in taking advantage of the resources you have as a member to represent a different opinion of such games. Writing well-done blog posts and reviews of these games helps represent your distinct perspective on them. :)

It doesn't really help when, to start, staff members are portraying fans of the games in a certain light. (ex: Project Diva fans as perverts.) Maybe that wasn't Jeff's intent, but that was sure the message that a lot of people that commented on that Quick Look seemed to take away from the video.

HeyGuys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not hard, I just ignore them and keep loving what I'm loving. Right now Destiny is the most fun I've had with a game this year and just because not everyone is onboard doesn't bother me, its even kind of turned me around on loot driven games.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Well with Metal Gear I just sort of waited for the segment to end, but then Dan Ryckert showed up and spread his immaculate tastes among the GB crew. SO I guess wait for another guy to join the crew with your tastes.

Yeah. I had to skip over all Metal Gear talk on the bombcast before Dan.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By stryker1121

Push my uncontrollable rage into a little ball, then send a death threat to a random celebrity on Twitter. DIAF Ernest Borgnine!

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Loading Video...

Do this

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brendan said:

Kill a puppy. Every time.

Oh no! Not Henry! ;_;

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I blame this attitude of "Others' opinions must agree with my own!" on a school system that's eliminated all competition so no one is ever the 'loser'. This is what happens when you tell everyone they're special. Guess what? You're not so special after all. People won't always agree with you. Welcome to real life.

It's fine to disagree with the staff. I don't think any reasonable person here disagrees with that, because we all have our own views. What I find troubling are those that take the staff's word as gospel to the point that they can't seem to form an opinion for themselves.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Not give a shit? Holy fucking christ.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#42 FinalDasa  Moderator

Hate is a strong word.

When they dislike a game I enjoy I just listen and most of the time I agree, I just disagree with their end result.

None of my friends totally agree with my opinions on video games, or really anything, so I don't expect some duders on a couch to have the same opinions as me. If anything their strong opinions have won me over to new genres and games I would have never tried before.

Specifically when Patrick said he was going to try new genres out I felt like I should to. And there were plenty of games I had been ignoring for years.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Strange, based on the comments sections lately I expected to see quite a few people saying, "I act like an irrational fanboy and lash out with personal attacks and call for various people to quit the industry or be fired!"

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@truthtellah said:

It doesn't really help when, to start, staff members are portraying fans of the games in a certain light. (ex: Project Diva fans as perverts.) Maybe that wasn't Jeff's intent, but that was sure the message that a lot of people that commented on that Quick Look seemed to take away from the video.

It may not change the staff's minds, but it is certainly a constructive thing to do after seeing them dislike a game you like. You actively present a different opinion of it and may even get people to understand why you like it.

If you want people on Giant Bomb to appreciate a game like Project Diva that you like, a blog post explaining why you like it or a well-done review of it can have an impact. I've seen you write such posts about games you felt didn't get a fair shake, and they generally do far more to help myself and others understand and appreciate your different take on games than any complaint ever does. I appreciate people's passion put into such posts, and I think they often have a positive impact.

HeyGuys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb said:

Strange, based on the comments sections lately I expected to see quite a few people saying, "I act like an irrational fanboy and lash out with personal attacks and call for various people to quit the industry or be fired!"

Well when you put it that way...

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#46  Edited By Seikenfreak

Nothing really. It's their opinion and they do most games justice. Except for MMOs and JRPGs and stuff.

..unless it's a Gran Turismo game. Then I get sad and frustrated and wish so hard they had someone on staff who was really interested in cars, understood some dynamics of car control, knew about specific cars etc etc I love Drew and Danny but they aren't that familiar with the stuff. And actually played it with a G25 like it was meant to be played. It just makes the game look bad. But that doesn't guarantee I will voice my opinion in a comment because I know it won't do any good lol

But that's because I'm very passionate about the series. *cough* hire me *cough*

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@truthtellah said:

It may not change the staff's minds, but it is certainly a constructive thing to do after seeing them dislike a game you like. You actively present a different opinion of it and may even get people to understand why you like it.

If you want people on Giant Bomb to appreciate a game like Project Diva that you like, a blog post explaining why you like it or a well-done review of it can have an impact. I've seen you write such posts about games you felt didn't get a fair shake, and they generally do far more to help myself and others understand and appreciate your different take on games than any complaint ever does. I appreciate people's passion put into such posts, and I think they often have a positive impact.

It's good to hear, because sometimes I get in conversations where the only response I get seems to be "What's wrong with you?" It's good to know that the blogs I write can be informative to those that have an interest in actually reading and understanding.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ThunderSlash

I file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

Brake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Write a long, rambling blog posts about how games journalism is corrupt.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I get a little irked, but nothing more.