• 57 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by moffattron9000 (353 posts) -

with the probable announcement of the next Playstation being 13 hours away and the internet being full of what we want threads, it is very easy for the hype train to derail as it enters the station. Most likely however what will actually be there will be considerably more modest, and at most there will be two games on display there in my estimation. Instead it will probably focus on the hardware and the social aspects, with the games coming at E3.

Also nothing there will beat this gif

#2 Posted by MB (12525 posts) -

I expect a lot more duplicate threads about the announcement.

Moderator
#3 Posted by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

I've recently jumped ship to the PC so the worries and disappointments and headaches of gaming are all behind me now. The consoles are nothing but trouble :(

Here's hoping I'm wrong and the event will have sexy announcements and the console itself won't disappoint, but the level of cynicism console gamers have about their own console manufacturers tell me today will be another bitter meme generating event.

#4 Posted by TruthTellah (9159 posts) -

I expect Kaz Hirai to come out drunk and claim that his bottle of Jack Daniels is the real future of the PlayStation brand.

#5 Posted by moffattron9000 (353 posts) -

I expect Kaz Hirai to come out drunk and claim that his bottle of Jack Daniels is the real future of the PlayStation brand.

Based on Sony's current finances, i'd expect him to have a bottle of Jim Beam instead.

#6 Posted by TruthTellah (9159 posts) -

@truthtellah said:

I expect Kaz Hirai to come out drunk and claim that his bottle of Jack Daniels is the real future of the PlayStation brand.

Based on Sony's current finances, i'd expect him to have a bottle of Jim Beam instead.

I imagine they really did have a PS4 prototype and Hirai just traded it for booze out of desperation.

#7 Posted by moffattron9000 (353 posts) -

@moffattron9000 said:

@truthtellah said:

I expect Kaz Hirai to come out drunk and claim that his bottle of Jack Daniels is the real future of the PlayStation brand.

Based on Sony's current finances, i'd expect him to have a bottle of Jim Beam instead.

I imagine they really did have a PS4 prototype and Hirai just traded it for booze out of desperation.

Now i'm imagining the PS4, brought to you by some drunk guy on the corner, with games such as the insane ramblings from my head. Thank you for that.

#8 Posted by TruthTellah (9159 posts) -

@truthtellah said:

@moffattron9000 said:

@truthtellah said:

I expect Kaz Hirai to come out drunk and claim that his bottle of Jack Daniels is the real future of the PlayStation brand.

Based on Sony's current finances, i'd expect him to have a bottle of Jim Beam instead.

I imagine they really did have a PS4 prototype and Hirai just traded it for booze out of desperation.

Now i'm imagining the PS4, brought to you by some drunk guy on the corner, with games such as the insane ramblings from my head. Thank you for that.

Hirai: "What are all you people doing here? What..? Shit, you there, you want The Last Guardian? Sure, whatever; I'm sure that's gonna happen. uhh... Any other stuff? ... Wait. Who the eff said Crash Bandicoot?! Speak up, asshole! ... Come on, guys... Ideas... What? Ridge Racer?! Screw you, buddy. I got your Ridge Racer right here!"

*Hirai grasps crotch and then flips off the crowd as he collapses off stage*

#9 Posted by moffattron9000 (353 posts) -

@moffattron9000 said:

@truthtellah said:

@moffattron9000 said:

@truthtellah said:

I expect Kaz Hirai to come out drunk and claim that his bottle of Jack Daniels is the real future of the PlayStation brand.

Based on Sony's current finances, i'd expect him to have a bottle of Jim Beam instead.

I imagine they really did have a PS4 prototype and Hirai just traded it for booze out of desperation.

Now i'm imagining the PS4, brought to you by some drunk guy on the corner, with games such as the insane ramblings from my head. Thank you for that.

Hirai: "What are all you people doing here? What..? Shit, you there, you want The Last Guardian? Sure, whatever; I'm sure that's gonna happen. uhh... Any other stuff? ... Wait. Who the eff said Crash Bandicoot?! Speak up, asshole! ... Come on, guys... Ideas... What? Ridge Racer?! Screw you, buddy. I got your Ridge Racer right here!"

*Hirai grasps crotch and then flips off the crowd as he collapses off stage*

Then Jeff shouts SiN from the back of the auditorium, which a then passed out Kaz starts repeating over and over again for the next few minutes in a hushed tone. Unfortunately this is interpreted as Sid which leads to a scrambling Jack Tretton announcing that there will be new game from Sid Meyer. Skip ahead three years and CivGolf is released.

#10 Posted by Winternet (8021 posts) -

I expect *gasps* and *laughs*.

#11 Posted by Benny (1953 posts) -

I'm calling it™: Destiny gameplay.

#12 Posted by HH (610 posts) -

i expect the internet to choke on worthless chickenshit opinions

#13 Posted by Nilazz (613 posts) -

Ken Kutaragi will return!

#14 Posted by skrutop (3615 posts) -

I'm expecting that they'll spend some time talking about their PS3 and Vita games coming out this year before they announce the PS4. The new system will look sort of ugly, and they'll tout a lot of technical specs that are completely meaningless. I'm also expecting a new Ridge Racer, because that's what you have to have when you launch a console. The trailer will spend a lot of its time trotting out the latest iteration of their hot racer chick walking around in a tight racing suit. What I'm hoping for is to see a bit of the new interface, network features, and apps.

#15 Posted by Humanity (9385 posts) -

I secretly hope they don't talk about the Playstation 4 at all and we all know this as the biggest hype disappointment of the year. It would be hilarious.

#16 Posted by Ares42 (2691 posts) -

I expect disappointment. After the last few E3s I think it's gotten pretty clear that these corporations have not adjusted to the fact that these things are broadcasted live to the public. They will focus too much on talking business and show a broad spectrum. These things are basically made for the press to experience and then write much more interesting articles about the things they care about.

#17 Posted by MattyFTM (14394 posts) -

A lot of time reminiscing on past console, then showing a box, talking up the power of the system without actually talking specs ("It's X times more powerful than the PS3") and one or two game announcements with CG trailers. We might get a glimpse of a tech demo running on the hardware.

Moderator
#18 Edited by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

i expect every comment page of ever gaming website to be full of people complaining and bitching about EVERYTHING.

its going to be great!

#19 Posted by mordukai (7153 posts) -

@mattyftm: Do you have any idea if anyone is live broadcasting this event or mostly live blogging as it happens?

#20 Posted by Rafaelfc (1350 posts) -

broken hearts and internet bitching, with a glimmer of hope on the side.

#21 Posted by hermes (1496 posts) -

@mordukai: Yes, here: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/02/20/today-watch-playstation-meeting-2013-live-at-6pm-eastern-time/

#22 Posted by LikeaSsur (1538 posts) -

I expect them to officially announce the next Playstation, whether it's 4 or another name.

That's about it. I think I'll get what I want.

#23 Edited by Eojay (184 posts) -

Best case scenario: Name, view of prototype design, maybe some tech demos/short trailers. And some Vita stuff.

Definitely no price point. Juicy stuff will be kept for E3 at least.

#24 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

They've licensed the Vitality Sensor tech from Nintendo and plan to release it as a Vita accessory.

#25 Posted by mordukai (7153 posts) -

@hermes said:

@mordukai: Yes, here: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/02/20/today-watch-playstation-meeting-2013-live-at-6pm-eastern-time/

Say thanks, dude.

#26 Posted by wrecks (2268 posts) -

A really great Duck demo.

#27 Edited by Hunter5024 (5709 posts) -

Ps3 price drop, Vita price drop, Ps4 announcement, and a couple of new game announcements. As far as the Playstation 4 itself, I expect we will get a name, a look at the model, and a look at the new controller at the very least.

#28 Posted by videogamesarenotart (121 posts) -

@hunter5024: you people who cry for constant price drops really fail to understand anything about economics

#29 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I expect a possible price drop for the PS3 which may lead to me buying it. Maybe the death of The Last Guardian.

#30 Posted by Hunter5024 (5709 posts) -

@videogamesarenotart: I'm not crying for a new price drop, I just expect one. The Vita had a price drop announced in Japan only a few days ago, so I imagine they will announce the same thing for the west, and it's been quite a while since the Ps3 had a price drop as well, so it's a reasonable assumption, Pachter predicted one too.

#31 Posted by Gaff (1773 posts) -
  • Sizzle reel showcasing 15 years of the Playstation brand.
  • Jack Tretton: some long marketing speech about the Playstation "brand", 15 years of success (of course, numbers), pouring one out for the PS2 that stopped being made this very year, seguing nicely into talk about the future, introducing Kaz Hirai.
  • Kaz Hirai: reminiscing about the PS3 launch (something about "8 years ago, I stood before you, yada, yada"), musings about industry changes, fanfare, Orbis reveal, photo op.
  • Spec sheets: "Excited to be working with our partners at AMD, yada, future, yada". Ducks. Tech demo.
  • High profile developers / publishers will talk about their "excitement" to be working with new hardware, tease new titles, but show absolutely nothing.
  • Closing speech, another photo op, cordially invite people to line up in an orderly fashion to see the system up close and to this year's E3, where they will be showing the future of gaming.

Oh jeez, I've seen too many of these launches. Sorry if I come across as jaded.

Though for funsies, play the "Future" drinking game: everytime someone says the word "future", drink.

#32 Posted by Branthog (5562 posts) -

If Sony announces a console today, they will name it the Playstation Evolution.

#33 Posted by s10129107 (1183 posts) -

Disappointment

#34 Posted by HellknightLeon (467 posts) -

I'm with most of you guys! I love and understand the passion that you all feel when it comes to gaming and software platforms alike. I've look at all the post and I see a trend that I like. Once more... I agree with all of you in a way. I love booz a lot! I like Jim Bean... Might go get some today. And no I didn't post "I like Jim Bean" because I give a fuck what you think about it.

#35 Posted by Gaff (1773 posts) -

@branthog said:

If Sony announces a console today, they will name it the Playstation Evolution.

Playstation Revolution has a better ring to it.

#36 Posted by charlie_victor_bravo (1018 posts) -

@gaff said:

@branthog said:

If Sony announces a console today, they will name it the Playstation Evolution.

Playstation Revolution has a better ring to it.

Playstation Intelligent Design.

#37 Edited by Branthog (5562 posts) -

@gaff said:

@branthog said:

If Sony announces a console today, they will name it the Playstation Evolution.

Playstation Revolution has a better ring to it.

Playstation Intelligent Design.

Which is just a dishonest way of promoting Playstation Creationism.

#38 Posted by GunstarRed (5213 posts) -

Mostly that they have genetically engineered a real life/sized cat-monkey-dog-bird and mocapped it, and this is the reason why The Last Guardian has taken so long.

And Jack Tretton to announce a new career in bear wrestling.

#39 Edited by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

Let's Playstation is best possible title.

#40 Posted by aquamarin (555 posts) -

I've recently jumped ship to the PC so the worries and disappointments and headaches of gaming are all behind me now. The consoles are nothing but trouble :(

It will be a sad state of affairs if the consoles become more headache inducing then pc gaming. I don't mean that from a "you plug this thing in and it works" perspective, but an integrates motion controls/touchpad integrated into the conrtroller/voice commands type of way. I am hoping Sony is making a better 360 (account-wise, social hooks-wise, trophies-wise) with a better take on a subscription service, but I fear the pandora's box that the Wii opened up of courting casual gamers via motion control gimmicks and now touchpads is something hardware makers will want to shoehorn into every platform.

#41 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (190 posts) -

I have no doubt it's the PS4. I'm not sure if they will show any games for it or not, they might save that for E3, but I expect them to go over the basic features of the system and show off a bit of it's power. I also expect them to talk about the future of the Vita, which as of now, needs more support. I'm betting it will play a bigger role with PS4 and PlayStation Plus will also expand to something bigger.

Either way I'm very excited!

#42 Edited by Pr1mus (3936 posts) -

Well i expect it's the new console, anything less than that would be stupid and a waste of everybody's time.

Other than that i don't expect much. I would be pleasantly surprised to see actual live gameplay on stage but i'm not holding my breath.

Also it's going to be called PlayStation 4.

#43 Posted by Toxin066 (3291 posts) -

Giant enemy crabs and a lot of clapping.

#44 Edited by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

Skyrim with voice commands.

EDIT: also a working build of skyrim

#45 Posted by Reisz (1508 posts) -

No expectations, just looking forward to it.

#46 Posted by GS_Dan (1403 posts) -

Something crazy for next month's PS+ update

#47 Edited by myketuna (1710 posts) -

@gaff said:
  • Sizzle reel showcasing 15 years of the Playstation brand.
  • Jack Tretton: some long marketing speech about the Playstation "brand", 15 years of success (of course, numbers), pouring one out for the PS2 that stopped being made this very year, seguing nicely into talk about the future, introducing Kaz Hirai.
  • Kaz Hirai: reminiscing about the PS3 launch (something about "8 years ago, I stood before you, yada, yada"), musings about industry changes, fanfare, Orbis reveal, photo op.
  • Spec sheets: "Excited to be working with our partners at AMD, yada, future, yada". Ducks. Tech demo.
  • High profile developers / publishers will talk about their "excitement" to be working with new hardware, tease new titles, but show absolutely nothing.
  • Closing speech, another photo op, cordially invite people to line up in an orderly fashion to see the system up close and to this year's E3, where they will be showing the future of gaming.

Yep. I pictured something like this in my head since the day this event was announced. I'm still hoping for my favorite press conference phrase to be uttered, "And we're proud to announce...."

I don't know why I love it so much. It just seems dumb (What? Are you gonna be ashamed to announce?)

#48 Posted by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

EDIT: also a working build of skyrim

Let's not be crazy.

#49 Edited by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

@example1013 said:

EDIT: also a working build of skyrim

Let's not be crazy.

You're right, what was I thinking?

#50 Posted by Fattony12000 (7460 posts) -

Live executions, right there on stage.