What do you guys think of the new mation control fad?

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Emilio

For years now, people have bagged on the Wii by calling it a fad, and motion control being its stupid gimmick. 

But now it seems that every damn company is out to make their own motion controller, and from the looks of it, the majority of them are similar to the Wii remote. 

So I'm wondering what do you guys think of this? Before, nobody talked about motion control, and now even Sony and Microsoft have their own devices. 

also, on a second topic, what do you guys think of what I feel is the new 3D fad in gaming.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By 71Ranchero

I hate when people control my Mation. 

Anyways, Im not a fan of motion controls. I hope they go away and the next fad is that consoles will start shipping with 2nd generation Sega Saturn controllers. 

No Caption Provided
aerious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By aerious

Meh, im not one for motion controls but really they aren't targeted at a person like me, more the "casual" people, yes thats right those people over there that we dare not associate with else we be outcast from our clique.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By dethfish

I don't like it.

Lestater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Lestater

I wouldn't mind using Project Natal for console RTS games, but that's it unless it shows me something really special.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By iam3green

i hope that it goes away. i don't want to sit up and moving my arms around playing. i want to be sitting back pressing buttons. on the ps3 i tried playing flower sitting back and i always ended up heading up. i would have to hold the controller in a different way to get it working correctly. it just didn't feel great. 

the only thing that i think motion controls would be good for would be RTS or point and click games. point and click games have not been around for a long time now.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By JJOR64

It's alright, but I would rather use a game pad any day. 

canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By canucks23

I'm kinda interested in what they can do with the sony thing, based on the tech demo. But i have absolutely 0 interest in natal.

Rebirth1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Rebirth1337

There lame.

Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper

Really not a fan of motion controls. Although if they kept on improving it I might like it. But this flukey PS3 motion control and the fact that FPS games blow considerably hard on the Wii, I can't see myself liking it anytime soon.

Junpei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Junpei

They have their uses, but the more and more people get into using Natal or the Wiimotes or even the PS3 motion controls when they release they are going to see that it will hit a wall. Both a wall in terms of creation of the games we play as well as the ability of the players.  If the Wii has taught me anything (and I own one and do play it) it is that there are ways to do motion controls right. It also says that 95% of the companies making games don't know how to do it right.

As I look forward to Natal and others that are full motion and no remote, there is going to be a huge issue with realism and accessibility. For those games to do what they say there is going to be a breaking point where people can no longer play some games due to physical ability. 12 round boxing match? No thanks, stop after 2 or 3 because those are well conditioned athletes who do those things in the first place, not the average person. If they strive for the realism that they talk about games will no longer be issues of learning controls or strategies as much as whether or not a game is physically capable of being played and enjoyed by most people.

That can go two ways, more physically fit people or a shrinking user base. There will always be the need for a controller. As long as companies don't forget that it's cool to experiment with motion, but it has a long way to go yet. 

... This should be a blog post...ah, maybe tomorrow.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Diamond

Right now most of the time they totally suck, but I feel they could pave the way towards far superior control in the future.  Think of today as those first crappy joysticks.  Coupled with the stereoscopic vision craze, we're back to heading towards the 90's hype-craze of virtual reality.  I think games will head there some day no matter what.  It's just a matter of having motion controls and stereoscopic vision that are actually worthwhile and genuinely add to games.

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By DanielJW
@Diamond said:
" Right now most of the time they totally suck, but I feel they could pave the way towards far superior control in the future.  Think of today as those first crappy joysticks.  Coupled with the stereoscopic vision craze, we're back to heading towards the 90's hype-craze of virtual reality.  I think games will head there some day no matter what.  It's just a matter of having motion controls and stereoscopic vision that are actually worthwhile and genuinely add to games. "
Here here. These ventures into motion control and 3D tech are leading the way to making Tron a reality
Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Barrock

Not a huge fan. I'd rather see games with normal controls. In certain games motion controls could work well. But with other genres it is completely useless and nothing but a burden.

thecleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By thecleric

The only time I've ever enjoyed it was in No More Heroes.

ADTR_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ADTR_ZERO

I'm not a huge fan of motion controls. 

Back on topic: Mation controls are the new tits.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Incredibly lame. I gave them a shot, but they're just not ready. They're never very responsive, which is ridiculously frustrating. As a Wii owner, I can safely say that I believe motion controls have totally failed so far. Natal looks promising, but I'll reserve judgment until I can try it out myself.

Avatar image for aperturesilence
ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By ApertureSilence

I could see them being absolutely wonderful for RTSes and point-and-click adventure games. Unfortunately, judging from the gimmicky games that have been popular on the Wii, that's most likely not what they're going to be used for.

DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DCFGS3

Right now they're simply too crap to really do anything with. The technology isn't there. Having said that, the sony thing shows promise, as it doesn't go as far as natal, which IMO will probably not work great.

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By nanikore

...new?

immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By immike

I like motion sensor type controls for menu navigation (ala Point and click) and simple point and click type games. I am not one for waving or any weird motions such as that. Only game that can get me to do so is Wii Sports.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By ajamafalous

I'm a sucker for advances in technology, but I hate motion controls in my games.

Avatar image for aestheticsynthesis
AestheticSynthesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The most retarded thing evarrr... 

I am looking forward to making racist jokes with Milo and getting drunk in front of him.
Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Emilio
@nanikore said:
" ...new? "
By that I mean that at first Nintendo (and in some respect Sony) was the only one with motion controls, and nobody else. Now, Microsoft, Sony, and a bunch of other groups are out to make their own magic motion wand. Please try to find some recent footage of this year's CES show.
wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#25  Edited By wefwefasdf

I don't mind them but I can't think of a motion controlled game I would want to play that I wouldn't rather play with a controller.

Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Goly

still a gimmick until it's as precise as two joysticks or mouse and keyboard.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By Vorbis

Hope it will stay away from proper games (or stay optional), it will never be as fast or accurate as using a controller. For silly minigames like washing windows sure, those who like that those games can have it. But if I have to play Fable 3 by waving my hands around... just no.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#28  Edited By Cerza
@SpikeSpiegel said:
" I don't mind them but I can't think of a motion controlled game I would want to play that I wouldn't rather play with a controller. "
This is pretty much how I feel.
skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#29  Edited By skrutop
@Atramentous said:

" I hate when people control my Mation. 

Anyways, Im not a fan of motion controls. I hope they go away and the next fad is that consoles will start shipping with 2nd generation Sega Saturn controllers. 

No Caption Provided
"
Amen, that was the best controller.  I wouldn't be surprised to see motion controls continue to evolve and become more ubiquitous.  I think I prefer game pads because I've used them my whole life.  But if the Wii was my first game system, I'd probably wonder why people use controllers.
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#30  Edited By Geno

Not into motion controls, never have been. Until they can get 1:1 wireless gesticulation technology available, I'm fine with with the mouse, keyboard and gamepad. 

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#31  Edited By Yummylee

Not too bothered, long as they don't replace the good ole gamepads. If they start to push the gamepad out of the fade, thats when the shit will hit my fan :(
taccyp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By taccyp

I hate most motion controls. A few games have used them cleverly, but for the most part they feel gimmicky.