• 65 results
#1 Posted by Irvandus (2877 posts) -

#2 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

I don't understand

#3 Posted by Irvandus (2877 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic: If your playing an rpg and have to spec out your character what role do you like your character to fulfill, basically what role is the most fun to you.

#4 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Depends hugely on the game. One of the reasons I love Dragon Age: Origins is because you can be all rolls all the time. I also love the crowd control (mages) in that game, because freezing motherfuckers and making giant flaming grease pits and stuff is cool. I also loved playing a rogue because of the amount of DPS. I generally don't enjoy tanking because I feel like games make generating threat a fucking pain.

#5 Posted by Rohok (554 posts) -

What?

#6 Posted by Saethir (353 posts) -

Usually whatever will let me dual wield most effectively. If that's not an option, sneaky archer guy.

#7 Posted by believer258 (11816 posts) -

Ranged, I guess, since that's how I've been playing DAO (as a mage).

#8 Posted by DarkShaper (1328 posts) -

SHIT I meant to hit D but clicked C.

#9 Edited by mandude (2669 posts) -

Which one lets me play the lute?

#10 Edited by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Melee DPS. Always roll a rogue or assassin unless they are lame in that particular game in which case I roll a 2H warrior.

#11 Posted by Rattle618 (1463 posts) -

Depends on the game and what I feel like doing at the moment.

#12 Posted by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -

In MMOs and other class-based multiplayer RPGs I typically like playing ranged DPS, specifically magic-oriented characters . I enjoy healing as well.

In single-player RPGs I just go with some sort of melee because in most single-player RPGs anything else is oftentimes a pain in the ass in the early stages. Though I will say that I started playing Skyrim as a magic user recently and that's easily the most fun way to play that game.

#13 Posted by DillonWerner (1526 posts) -

DPS, usually mele

#14 Posted by HadesTimes (804 posts) -

I would play Tank 100% of the time. But I all ways end up Healing. I'm SO DONE with traditional MMOs.

#15 Posted by Giantstalker (1638 posts) -

In Battlefield 3, I generally prefer to be a tank whenever it's possible.

#16 Posted by benspyda (2033 posts) -

Games like WOW and Diablo, loot based games, I like ranged DPS. For story RPGs like Skyrim my first play through is normally up close and personal.

#17 Posted by Do_The_Manta_Ray (648 posts) -

I tend to fulfill my role as the analrapist whenever I have the opportunity to engage in a holy trinity.

#18 Posted by insane_shadowblade85 (1422 posts) -

I picked B (Ranged DPS) but it really depends on the situation. If I'm playing an RPG or an MMO and I don't plan on interacting or playing with anyone else then I'll either play a Tank or a DPS class. If I have party members or I'm in an MMO where I want to interact and play with a lot of people then I'll play a healer type of character. A Mage like character basically.

#19 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Where's the magic thing?

#20 Edited by Blackout62 (1339 posts) -

The Holy Spirit.

Not a religious fervor thing, the joke was necessary.

#21 Posted by ComradeKhan (687 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:

Where's the magic thing?

B
#22 Posted by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

I like healer, although "serious raiding" in the MMO sense is not my idea of fun. Dragon Age 2 seemed like a paticularly good implementation of a healer archtype - to my taste anyway.

#23 Posted by GreggD (4490 posts) -

Tank, bro. Pound some potions and fuck dudes up with swords and/or hammers.

#24 Posted by Otzlowe (337 posts) -

Tank or crowd control machine. I like to live longer than the people around me.

I like healing also, but only in PvP. It's fun to make an iron curtain of your teammates and not so fun to faceroll through a dungeon staring at health bars.

#25 Posted by Lagaroth (170 posts) -

Healer.

#26 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4421 posts) -

Tank or ranged dps

#27 Posted by AltonBrown (950 posts) -

Yo, Cleric.

Dude has a wicked mace.

#28 Posted by mitsuko_souma (135 posts) -

I had no idea there was a holy trinity. But anyways I voted for DPS up close because I like being characters that can dual wield and rogues and such.

#29 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

melee dps or tank.

#30 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

Healer if you piss me off you will die.

#31 Posted by Irvandus (2877 posts) -

@Otzlowe: I miss having to seriously crowd control in MMOS for some reason it felt fulfilling to me. The last time I saw a game with excellent crowd control was actually back when I was playing ToR as a Smuggler.

#32 Posted by JackSukeru (5910 posts) -
  • I'm a masochist so Tank.
  • But I'm also lazy and don't like running around so Tank.
  • I like cool metal armor and shield designs of all sorts so Tank.

In more action focused games I prefer the fragile speedster archetype though.

#33 Edited by fox01313 (5069 posts) -

Depends on game but tend to just stick with mage or thief/rogue as they tend to need a bit more thought to running them without killing yourself too soon but more importantly they tend to have the most variety to their skills in most games.

#34 Posted by JCTango (1361 posts) -

@Irvandus: I usually would like to play an up-close DPS type of character, especially a fast hitting one; but in the case of MMO's, I probably end up playing a healer more - sometimes it's hard to find a player that plays one properly.

#35 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11645 posts) -

I hate what the holy trinity has done to RPGs and character building, but it really depends on the occasion. I mean, if we're talking League of Legends I'm a big fan of either pure nuke casters or tanky-DPS melee fighters, but if we're talking in a generic sense I guess rogue-types with their backstabbing ways.

#36 Posted by PixelPrinny (1030 posts) -

Hmm... tough question. I picked healer, but the more I think about it the more I can enjoy all sorts of roles. I think my favorites are split between healer and archer type classes, however I'm generally not a fan of archers with pets (ie hunters in WoW). I also enjoy tanking quite a bit as well, as there's a great sense of control and leadership that tends to inherently come with that position (eg. "I'm the one that's rushing in there first, so I'm leading this group"). Offensive magic classes are the ones I tend to avoid the most, but even then there have been some exceptions to the rule.

So in conclusion I am completely indecisive!

#37 Posted by Cathryn (545 posts) -

I don't play MMOs, but in single-player RPGs, I generally play up-close DPS characters. I don't mind playing mage-types either, but I generally like to avoid anything that's ranged -- I like close-quarters combat and don't like to worry about aiming or being stealthy.

#38 Posted by buft (3316 posts) -

Healer, got my druid in wow and tried to roll a healer in SW:TOR but couldnt quite get the feel for the game.

#39 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

If it's a group based game (not an MMO, cause fuck that) then I go Healer. If I'm by myself then I play tank. I almost never go melee DPS but will on rare occasions play a mage class.

I picked D by the way.

#40 Posted by StarvingGamer (8157 posts) -

Healer, mostly because a bad healer will do more to hurt a group than a bad tank will and fuck DPS.

#41 Posted by mlarrabee (2929 posts) -

The only thing I play with any semblance of these classes is Battlefield 3, and I use all of them as needed during a round.

So... all of the above?

#42 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1826 posts) -

i guess healer since green was my favorite color and i love to be an observer

#43 Posted by Apathylad (3066 posts) -
#44 Posted by RedCream (704 posts) -

Melee DPS cause hammering dudes right in their faces is the shit.

#45 Posted by Slay3r1583 (608 posts) -

I usually like to play a tank. I like to be able to get in the middle of shit and slug it out. Sometimes I'll switch it up and play a nuker mage though.

#46 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

Ranged DPS (but not always, I can play a Melee DPS in Diablo 3)

#47 Posted by JoeyRavn (4970 posts) -

I've been maining a Demon Huntress in Diablo 3, and I have a stealth archer in Skyrim, so I guess I'll go with ranged DPS.

#yearofthebow

#48 Posted by rolanthas (242 posts) -

Melee DPS, any rogue-ish class I can get my hands on. Too bad RPG's all but abandoned the Thief archetype (or assimilating it into rogues, archers, etc) .

#49 Posted by supamon (1333 posts) -

The under-rated roles A and D.

#50 Edited by PenguinDust (12499 posts) -

@Blackout62 said:

The Holy Spirit.

Not a religious fervor thing, the joke was necessary.

I entered the thread expecting it to be the second or third reply. Of course, someone had to make it.

Oh, and I like being the Healer. My holy paladin back when I played WoW was pretty righteous. I had a Druid, too that I wanted to become a Tank, but he wound up being a healer in group instances more often than not. I didn't mind too much but I wasn't as confident as a Resto-Druid. Holy Pallys are all about burst healing while Resto-Druids are more about HOTs.