• 66 results
#1 Posted by DonutFever (3550 posts) -

Not much more to it than the title: What do you think about Suda51's games? 

#2 Posted by Kaiserreich (690 posts) -

who?

#3 Posted by James_Giant_Peach (751 posts) -

He is a god.

#4 Posted by iAmJohn (6117 posts) -

Genius.

#5 Posted by LibrorumProhibitorum (346 posts) -

When he has full control of the project, the games are fantastic. If it's just partial involvement they aren't all that good at all.

Lollipop Chainsaw looks rather dreadful.

#6 Posted by DonutFever (3550 posts) -
#7 Edited by ProfessorEss (7310 posts) -

I think his concepts are great but the games themselves turn out mediocre.

#8 Posted by Yummylee (21489 posts) -

Only work of his I've played is Shadows of The Damned (and No More Heroes PS3 demo), though I've seen plenty of his other stuff. He has some great creative vision no doubt, but his games are still kinda sucky to play.

#9 Posted by AlexW00d (6234 posts) -

Most of his games I have seen stuff of look pretty terrible, sorry.

#10 Posted by Twinsun (471 posts) -

I've enjoyed everything I've played of his, except Killer7 for some reason. Didn't get very far into it though, so don't shoot me.

#11 Posted by Phatmac (5725 posts) -

who??

#12 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

The industry need more people like him, he brings some much needed colour and life to such a dull and predictable industry.

#13 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10885 posts) -

He's an insane madman, and I love his games.

#14 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

@iAmJohn said:

Genius.

@MooseyMcMan said:

He's an insane madman, and I love his games.

@Simplexity said:

The industry need more people like him, he brings some much needed colour and life to such a dull and predictable industry.

All of these things.

#15 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4967 posts) -

@Simplexity said:

That's exactly what I wanted to say, but you beat me to it.

#16 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I would like to hug him and carry him around on my shoulders so he could joust things.

Oh you mean his games? They, they're pretty great.

#17 Posted by BonOrbitz (2183 posts) -

I don't care for general Japanese quirkiness when it comes to games, but I love Suda 51's style and madness. I can't wait for Lollipop Chainsaw.

#18 Posted by FilipHolm (667 posts) -

Love him

#19 Posted by Demoskinos (14751 posts) -

Lollipop Chainsaw is my #1 most anticipated game at this point. Suda's games are amazing. Loved Shadows of the Damned and both of the No More Hero games. In fact... NMH is the reason I bought a Wii and the only games I really have for it.

#20 Posted by pyromagnestir (4291 posts) -

His games are cool but I don't like to play his games because I wish his games were about 3 or 4 hours long and didn't have the parts where they streeeeeeeeeeeeeetch out the core gameplay to make it a full length game. For some reason it's more noticeable in his games. Actually I know the reason it's because the crazy parts are so fucking crazy and awesome.

#21 Posted by Getz (2996 posts) -

Definitely a guy with vision, and one of the few "auteur" game designers out there. Even if some of his games haven't been the most fun to play they are all undeniably Suda51 games. I have mad respect for the guy and it's nice to see his company hasn't gone bankrupt yet.

#22 Edited by Redbullet685 (6033 posts) -

I've only played through SotD, and love that game. Played a bit of Killer 7 and No More Heroes PS3 demo and found them alright. I'm very much looking forward to Lollipop Chainsaw. I really like Suda 51, though his games may not be the greatest to play, they sure look cool and are hilarious.

#23 Posted by Milkman (16637 posts) -

The most creative evil genius in the games industry. Love him.

#24 Edited by supamon (1333 posts) -

Makes some of the weirdest games I've seen and oddly/fortunately enough, I'm drawn to his stuff cause no one else makes em like that nowadays.

The industry could sure use a few more with his kind of talent.

#25 Posted by UlquioKani (1044 posts) -

I have no opinion of Suda51

#26 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2720 posts) -

I've never played a game of his, but he seems like a crazy motherfucker. 

#27 Posted by MikkaQ (10283 posts) -

His games are definitely some of the more creative and interesting titles out there, like 'em or hate 'em. Personally I think most of them play just fine, but the real appeal is in the settings, characters, and scenarios. Dialogue is usually pretty great too, in a cheesy way.

#28 Posted by WickedFather (1732 posts) -

Superb. It means all games aren't just COD and Mass Effect shitfests.

#29 Posted by WalkerD (462 posts) -

Unpopular opinion coming through. I'm of the opinion that all of his games are absolute garbage, from the terrible gameplay to the extremely childish "humor". They just aren't for me. I haven't played Killer 7 which is supposedly his best work, so maybe I'll give that a try sometime. I don't appreciate the way the guy carries himself either, from flat out expecting people to know who he is and want his autograph, to plastering his name all over anything he works on.

#30 Posted by Nottle (1912 posts) -

@LibrorumProhibitorum said:

When he has full control of the project, the games are fantastic. If it's just partial involvement they aren't all that good at all.

Isn't the opposite usually considered true? He knows's how to pull off story and style but when it comes to gameplay, it is good that someone like Mikami is there to actually get the mechanics down. His games tend to be shallow or tedious (all those jobs in NMH) with the exception of Shadow's of the Damned (at least that's what I've heard I never played Shadow's of the Damned.)

In terms of atmosphere and tone, he is great but no one played No More Heroes because they thought hitting random henchmen was great.

#31 Posted by Ley_Lines (252 posts) -

According to CheapyD at Cheapassgamer he's a shitty boss who does little in the way of actual work. Considering he does have friends at grasshopper, I'm inclined to believe him. CheapyD talks about this in the last two podcasts. As for what I think of his games, interesting scenarios and stories but terrible gameplay.

#32 Posted by EuanDewar (4885 posts) -

Great ideas but I've never really enjoyed any of his games.

#33 Posted by LibrorumProhibitorum (346 posts) -

@Nottle said:

Isn't the opposite usually considered true? He knows's how to pull off story and style but when it comes to gameplay, it is good that someone like Mikami is there to actually get the mechanics down. His games tend to be shallow or tedious (all those jobs in NMH) with the exception of Shadow's of the Damned (at least that's what I've heard I never played Shadow's of the Damned.)

In terms of atmosphere and tone, he is great but no one played No More Heroes because they thought hitting random henchmen was great.

Yeah, I was mostly referring to his style and writing. The gameplay which accompanies his projects leaves something to be desired.

Though I'm one of the weird ones where if the story pulls me in, or something unique is happening with the games narrative, I can look past repetitive or unpolished gameplay like No More Heroes.

#34 Posted by LiquidPrince (15907 posts) -

Boo you and your opinion on Lollipop chainsaw.

#35 Posted by Bigheart711 (1253 posts) -

He's several types of awesome! The videogame industry needs more people like him.

#36 Posted by dopplerganger (80 posts) -

Love killer 7; enjoyed no more heroes. Shadows of the damned bored me to tears. He is hit or miss for me.

#37 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
I heard from CheapyD that he eats children.
#38 Edited by BoOzak (905 posts) -

@Ley_Lines said:

According to CheapyD at Cheapassgamer he's a shitty boss who does little in the way of actual work. Considering he does have friends at grasshopper, I'm inclined to believe him. CheapyD talks about this in the last two podcasts. As for what I think of his games, interesting scenarios and stories but terrible gameplay.

Isnt that the case for most creative directors? I mean all they do is criticise the people doing the heavy lifting and enforce their "vision" of the game. I'm not surprised his employee's have some bad things to say about him. Suda's games are great, I dont care how he does it.

#39 Posted by binhoker (82 posts) -

I love everything about him. Apart from his work as a video game designer.

#40 Posted by phrali (646 posts) -

his games are completely overrated and anything with his name on it is guaranteed to have mediocre halfassed gameplay and you're supposed to ignore it because ooohhhh it's so stylish

#41 Posted by Piqued_Interest (63 posts) -

Should be an art director/scenario designer that is for hire for other studios. Grasshopper seems competent, but unable to really find its feet.

#42 Posted by Commisar123 (1790 posts) -

I've only played Shadows of the Damned, well and Sine Mora but he barely had anything to do with that, but I really liked that game a lot and I like the look of everything else he has done, so I guess I think he is a pretty good game designer.

#43 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

I've never played any of this games, they don't really look like the kind of thing I would enjoy.

#44 Posted by Bribo (599 posts) -

He's a mischevious scamp.

#45 Posted by Ursu (3 posts) -

He's at least interesting. However, only really Killer 7 seemed fun to me.

#46 Posted by Nottle (1912 posts) -

@Nottle said:

Yeah, I was mostly referring to his style and writing. The gameplay which accompanies his projects leaves something to be desired.

Though I'm one of the weird ones where if the story pulls me in, or something unique is happening with the games narrative, I can look past repetitive or unpolished gameplay like No More Heroes.

I feel like that isn't weird, most AAA games have big elaborate stories, most people wouldn't play through Uncharted, Final Fantasy, GTA, Metal Gear, Red Dead Redemption or Mass Effect if it wasn't for the characters or story. Those games don't have awful gameplay, but I don't think someone would play a Uncharted game if Nate wasn't in it.

I tend to think playing a game for the sake of gameplay is a rarity when it comes to the bigger games. I don't think it is a problem either as long as people balance that out from time to time.

#47 Posted by damswedon (3185 posts) -

Suda 51's games aren't always good but they give me faith that Japan can still crank out crazy awesome games when it wants to.

#48 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

He makes great ideas and terrible games.

He's basically Japanese Peter Molyneux, only PM has made some decent stuff in the past.

#49 Edited by Zacagawea (1589 posts) -

I don't really care about him or his games

#50 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

I'm a Suda51 fanboy and i love everything he puts out. Everything.