#1 Posted by BeachThunder (12447 posts) -
#2 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8607 posts) -

E.

If it doesn't play well, or slow or wonky, its not fun playing it therefore defeating the entire point of videogames.
Fun.

#3 Posted by FilipHolm (669 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

E. If it doesn't play well, or slow or wonky, its not fun playing it therefore defeating the entire point of videogames. Fun.

Although there is no ONE point of videogames...

#4 Edited by Tennmuerti (8174 posts) -

What is a dissapointing game to you or me might be the best thing since sliced bread to someone else.
I would rather argue with a person about a game's quality on a point by point basis. You can't simply dismiss any of the above just by themselves without hearing the reasoning behind them. All of the above can have merit depending on actual situation. So I would say none of those are pathetic in and of themselves.
And any excuse is pathetic if it is not backed up by a thought out argument.

#5 Posted by EVO (3942 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

E. If it doesn't play well, or slow or wonky, its not fun playing it therefore defeating the entire point of videogames. Fun.

I disagree. Games like XIII, which is a mediocre shooter at best, more than makes up for it with it's brilliant art design.

#6 Posted by Swoxx (3008 posts) -

What about the hipster style. "You just don't get it"

#7 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11415 posts) -

D. That's the only one that I've never used.

#8 Posted by MeierTheRed (4941 posts) -

C, just can't stand it. And i still stand by the fact that E.Y.E was shit.

#9 Edited by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

All of them are valid except the argument that it was made by some small developer who programmed the entire game on a bootstrapped amiga whilst living in a cardboard box, I don't care what who or what the developers are, all that matters is the product if it's no good it's no good.

#10 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

Other: "They were going for "fun" and accessibility, that's totally legit"

#11 Edited by Elazul (1327 posts) -

"You just suck at it."

Also, for the record, apart from C and D I think those are all perfectly legitimate stances to take on a variety of games, providing you don't use them to rationalize a purchasing recommendation in a professional review.

#12 Posted by amomjc (977 posts) -

C. Just because it is a small studio doesn't mean flaws are okay. Look at Supergiant games with Bastion, small team, fantastic game.

#13 Posted by Chop (1998 posts) -

D I guess 

The rest of those are completely legit excuses, depending on the person. D is often legit too but I feel like it's the only one not based purely on opinion. 

#14 Edited by DeeGee (2143 posts) -

Can't stand people who defend a bad game just because two guys made it in their basement. I mean, bravo for pouring your heart and soul into making this game all by yourself, I applaud you for that. Just don't expect me to applaud your terrible game.

#15 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -
@Swoxx said:

Hipster or not, that statement can totally make sense sometimes. I've been told that I didn't get Mirror's Edge and Dead Space and Mass Effect and S.T.A.L.K.E.R in the past, when i hated those games with a passion, and now they're all all-time favorite for me because I did not get them in the past, and only after trying each game literally 4-5 times did I get the pacing and vibe and design choices, and kick ass at them. 

Mirror's Edge IMO is the most legit "you don't get it" game out there.
#16 Posted by Swoxx (3008 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic: Fair enough Ahmad, fair enough sir

#17 Posted by MikeHawk (382 posts) -

It's not a choice, but "You're playing it wrong." If I'm playing the game wrong, the developers should have designed the game better so I would be able to know how to "play it right" instinctively without you having to tell me so.

#18 Posted by atomic_dumpling (2483 posts) -

"It has easy achievements"

#19 Posted by Packie (255 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Swoxx said:

Hipster or not, that statement can totally make sense sometimes. I've been told that I didn't get Mirror's Edge and Dead Space and Mass Effect and S.T.A.L.K.E.R in the past, when i hated those games with a passion, and now they're all all-time favorite for me because I did not get them in the past, and only after trying each game literally 4-5 times did I get the pacing and vibe and design choices, and kick ass at them. Mirror's Edge IMO is the most legit "you don't get it" game out there.

Same here. I fucking hated Metro 2033 with a passion when I bought it, thought it was a waste. Couple of months later, picked it up again. once it "clicked" for me, it became one of my favorite shooters ever.

#20 Posted by Fluxxed (81 posts) -

It's bad because it's a parody of bad games.

#21 Posted by mutha3 (4986 posts) -

@Chop said:

D I guess  The rest of those are completely legit excuses, depending on the person. D is often legit too but I feel like it's the only one not based purely on opinion. 

Yep.

Actually, I'd say those are all valid reasons, even if I disagree with some of them.
#22 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3925 posts) -

I think the worst reason would be because its a platform exclusive. That's just being a douchy fanboy. Aside from maybe D all these other ones seem kinda subjective and valid if you enjoy the game.

#23 Posted by Willin (1286 posts) -

I doubt games with poor quality aren't like that because of one simple thing so I don't really care about any excuse.

#24 Posted by Icemael (6364 posts) -
@Fluxxed said:
It's bad because it's a parody of bad games.
This is the worst.

"It's supposed to be boring, frustrating and ugly, and that makes it good, see?"
#25 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

Jeff's review of Crysis 2.

#26 Posted by Twisted_Scot (1180 posts) -

Depends. Ive played games that were classed as absolutely shit but had an enjoyable time doing so. If someone actually likes a shit games then how can it be an excuse? I love Dead Island (even although my lvl 37, 96 % save is fucked) but many other think its shit because its broken. Does that mean its a shitty game? I love Dead Rising, everyone else I know thinks it's shit because they don't like the way it works...etc.

#27 Posted by SlashDance (1843 posts) -

"You think it's bad because it's different and unique. Go back to COD !"

#28 Posted by eviant (22 posts) -

Most pathetic excuse:

It has to be good because it's developed by [insert favourite developer here]

#29 Posted by ProfessorEss (7523 posts) -
@SlashDance said:

"You think it's bad because it's different and unique. Go back to COD !"

Yeah, the "sheep" call out is about as cheap and meaningless as it gets.
#30 Posted by TwoLines (2843 posts) -

As Patrick said, what is video games.

Really now, all of these are certain factors. You may take them into consideration or not. I don't like it when people try to defend games, period. If they like it, fine. But don't cram your opinions down other people's throats.

#31 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

I think the most pathetic excuse I've ever heard from someone defending a disappointing game they've bought is the "I like the game" one. I hate people who don't like the things I do or agree with my opinions on a game, fuck them!

#32 Posted by Vade (393 posts) -

"It's free to play"

So I guess B.

#33 Posted by AlexW00d (6449 posts) -

It's Japanese...

#34 Posted by fini_fly (767 posts) -

Because it's the next installment in their favourite series. I'm looking at you Final Fantasy.

#35 Posted by Animasta (14730 posts) -

I mean everyone's saying D but D is totally a legitimate excuse too. KOTOR 2 got fucked in the ass because Lucas Arts only gave Obsidian like 8-9 months to work on it.

#36 Posted by Pop (2651 posts) -

When a game is average and the person thinks it's the most amazing game ever cause they played it at 13-14 yrs old and we all know the game you played at 13-14 is the most amazing game ever. I sort of have that too :D.

#37 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -

This assumes someone would have to motivate them liking something to you...which I don't believe in so fuck that.

#38 Posted by JeanLuc (3608 posts) -

I say B. Specifically when I'm playing mods. It doesn't matter if its free, its my time I'm spending on it and if it sucks then I have the right to complain about it.

#39 Posted by PenguinDust (12642 posts) -

@Swoxx said:

This was the first thing I thought of, too. Basically it avoids any counter-argument and puts the onus on the critic. It's the rebutting equivalent of "because, I said so."

#40 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8607 posts) -
@EVO said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

I disagree. Games like XIII, which is a mediocre shooter at best, more than makes up for it with it's brilliant art design.

And XIII is a very playable and fun shooter, I played the heck out of it on the gamecube.
#41 Posted by dagas (2930 posts) -

B. Saying that Breech or whatever XBLA online shooter is good for the price is a lame excuse when you can buy triple A title from yesteryear for the same price that is going to be much better. I got BF Bad Company 1 for €5 and people were still playing that online. CoD4 MW1 was €20 On Demand a while back which is a much better deal than Breech for €15 and there are still plenty of people playing MW1.

#42 Posted by Levius (1231 posts) -

I hate it when a game with poor gameplay, non existent story and repetitive fetch quests gets a free pass just because it has a loot system. I found Dead Island so boring I could not bring myself to play it even though I bought it brand new. Borderlands was a little better as there was some enemy variation which kept things somewhat interesting.

#43 Posted by Little_Socrates (5718 posts) -

Oh, god, I had one that hadn't been posted and now it's GONE!

No, wait. I was just going to repeat someone else and say "You're playing it wrong" means I no longer want to talk to you about this video game. The idea that there is a "wrong" way to experience someone's medium is just fucking BROKEN, and it implies bad design by the developer. Of course, figuring out the developer's intent can sometimes avoid goofy situations and let you enjoy the game more, but that doesn't mean you're doing it wrong at all, that means the developer probably shouldn't have hidden the part where your character has actually always been a SWAT gunner.

#44 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

other - rushed development

#45 Edited by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -

I picked "E" because it's all we are going to hear after StarWars:The Old Republic is released. (and all we've heard about Bioware's watered down shitty RPGs for years.

#46 Posted by Elusionar (303 posts) -

It’s far more satisfying to hate EA or Ubisoft than to hate some indi game developer, but the fact is; the vast majority of indi games suck.