#1 Posted by Humanity (9867 posts) -

#2 Posted by Humanity (9867 posts) -

Although I love video content on GiantBomb I also go to GameTrailers fairly often just because they have a ton of video for stuff that maybe GB just doesn't have time for - and you can't deny their video reviews are quite excellent if only for showing off a game in action with all pros and cons on display. So today they rolled out the big site redesign and I gotta say it hasn't made a really great impression on me. With Giant Bomb working on their site redesign as well I'm hoping that they won't go the GT route. So far the limited stuff Alexis and Dave have showed off looked clean and elegant so I'm not too worried. I just hope it won't get as "clean" as the GT main site which now has way too few buttons and you seem to have to look for everything twice as hard despite the advertised ease of navigation.

#3 Posted by mosespippy (4377 posts) -

Gametrailers is on my list of websites that i don't visit. GT, Funny or Die, College Humour, Break, and the gawker family of sites are not websites that I want to provide page views to.

#4 Posted by JacDG (2128 posts) -

Yeah, I like Gametrailers too, or at least part of their content, reviews and previews are especially well produced, but the new redesign is quite shitty, however since I primarily just watch the reviews, it's not too big of a deal but if I went there for all of the other stuff, I would be somewhat "pissed" it is too chaotic.

#5 Posted by CptBedlam (4455 posts) -

Hmm, it's way less functional now it seems. I liked how they had all the shows and video features listed on the left.... that's all gone now. They'll lose clicks with this new design.

#6 Edited by Draxyle (1888 posts) -

I don't go to them too often, mostly due to their Spike TV/Viacom influences that go a little too deep.

It looks.. okay. Oddly similar to the Escapist's redesign. My big problem is that it just seems like a lot of wasted space. There's barely a fraction of information being shown on the front page without having to scroll down to get to the meat of it all, and even all that stuff is highly stretched out. Everything is just too gigantic; seems tailored to mobile devices.

#7 Posted by Humanity (9867 posts) -

@mosespippy said:

Gametrailers is on my list of websites that i don't visit. GT, Funny or Die, College Humour, Break, and the gawker family of sites are not websites that I want to provide page views to.

What does GameTrailers have to do with Break.com or College Humor ? Their E3 coverage is usually among the best online, in no small part to the exclusivity they get for it. Their video reviews are second to none where not only they show off gameplay but give examples whenever they have criticism of any systems in the title they're reviewing. The worst thing GT has going for it is the god awful community and comments which are sometimes worse than what you see on YouTube.

#8 Posted by mosespippy (4377 posts) -

@Humanity: My dislike for GT dates back to when their video player was always broken. It'd load ads no problem but it couldn't serve video for shit. I haven't been to GT since probably 07.

#9 Edited by WarlockEngineerMoreDakka (432 posts) -

The general consensus I've seen from actual GT users is that it's "too similar to IGN now." :P

They're not kidding- It is indeed very similarly cluttered like IGN's front page is- and is almost identical in layout. o_O (It seems to be more of a combination of IGN and Gamespot in terms of front page layout)

As such, they seem to have actually played it deceptively safe overall- so I'd say it could've been a lot worse. As far as I can tell, it isn't receiving a completely hostile reception like the Gawker-redesign did at least. :P

The one major complaint I have so far though: something's really messed up with their videos in the transition. Scanning or jumping ahead or backwards in a video right now renders the video an un-watchable blurry mess, forcing me to reload the whole page and restart watching the video from scratch. >_<

#10 Posted by Willza92 (270 posts) -

I liked that I was used to the old design and I don't like that I am not used to this one, but it'll grow on me as I grow accustomed to it; I'm sure.

#11 Edited by NTM (7519 posts) -

Gametrailers is a fine website and I have it on my favorites. It's one of the four game sites I visit, but the least of the four. I think the site is pretty good looking now, I haven't signed into it and checked it all out, but I'll do that at a later time. It's not bad.

#12 Posted by wjb (1689 posts) -

It looks like I have to either scroll down or click on a few links to get to what I want. It's great from a business standpoint...

Meh, I'll get used to it.

#13 Posted by redefaulted (2801 posts) -

I can't vote, I don't really visit the site much. However, after a quick-glance at the front page, I can easily say I like what I see. As for the guts of the website, though, that has yet to remain seen.

#14 Posted by TheSilentTruth (1138 posts) -

I preferred the design that was around in 08. Every update from then on just took away one feature after another. I just went back there today out of curiosity, and I loathe the new design. And in true GT fashion, someone didn't change a 1 back into a 0 and I'm unable to log in. Not that I'm complaining though. I don't want back in. I said that I was officially done with the site in September of last year, and this update puts the final nail in that coffin.

#15 Posted by Jothel (935 posts) -

looks like a shitty GiantBomb now.

#16 Posted by PenguinDust (12601 posts) -

It's okay, but I liked the old one better. I could see all the latest videos on page one instead of having to click to a separate page for that. The same is true for their own shows. I now have to click through stuff to get the content I want. It used to be all on page one.

#17 Posted by Totori (559 posts) -

no like

#18 Posted by Humanity (9867 posts) -

I just don't see why they would rather have all that empty space on the sides and all the menus are crammed into the middle. You used to have the most important stuff right then and there - reviews on the left panel, all most recent videos in the middle, and random user crap on the right. As others mentioned I'm sure I'll get used to it but I just don't see the mentality behind wasting all that space on the sides. I just hope the new GB won't be like that..

#19 Posted by FilipHolm (669 posts) -

Nothing wrong with the design itself. But it seems alot more confusing now. The latest trailers were always on the front page, now there seems to be alot more clicking involved..

#20 Posted by ProfessorEss (7469 posts) -

I used to visit gametrailers daily to watch new trailers but the multiple flash ads started making the site perform so poorly that I just couldnt be bothered anymore.

#21 Posted by RazielCuts (2982 posts) -

Bonus Round is the only reason to visit the site, but the major Pachter love for him on the show all the time can be a bit annoying at times.

Much improved though, it 'looks' cleaner and not so outdated but there seems to be more stuff for the sake of more stuff all over the place nested in different categories.

#22 Posted by ThePickle (4190 posts) -

Don't like. Everything is way too big. Old one was easier to navigate and I really liked the sidebar that had all of the shows listed.

#23 Posted by Mushir (2389 posts) -

I think the redesign looks alright. I think the only reason people liked the old version was because they'd kept it the same for so long. It wasn't very good and for first-time viewers I think it could look very messy. Even though you need to click a few more times to get where you want in this new design, it's cleaner and much less overwhelming for first-time visitors.

#24 Posted by JonSmith (171 posts) -

My opinion is biased in that the first thing I watched with the new design was Meet the Pyro. This perhaps left me in an unreasonable favorable mood.

#25 Posted by JasonR86 (9763 posts) -

B.

The first thing I thought when I saw it was that it looked like the Gamespot site. It looks ok. It's functional. But everything seems crammed together and sort of messy. The need to scale down the images and logos.

#26 Posted by TheVeteran13 (1218 posts) -

I don't go there, suck it Geoff Keighley

#27 Posted by Feanor (1389 posts) -

Not enough trailers on the front page. I feel cheated. How do I unsubscribe?

#28 Posted by mosdl (3243 posts) -

Wii U before the PC? bah

#29 Edited by Ares42 (2776 posts) -

When I open their page I see one or two links to a trailer/video. This from a site that was founded on the idea to dish out every single gaming video out there. I get that they're trying more and more to jump on the editorial content bandwagon, but their staff is terrible and the only thing worthwhile about the site was the easy to access library of videos. And what is up with that top banner? Even when I go to watch a video I have to scroll down to see the entire video because the banner is taking way up too much space.

#30 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

I only visit GT during E3 and to catch the occasional Bonus Round; but even then I use a bookmark or type it into the address bar instead of navigating that mess.

edit: Welp obviously the first thing to do is add an element hiding rule for that shitty Meebo-like user bar at the bottom of the page.

#31 Posted by Hailinel (25203 posts) -

The expression of disapproval on Geoff Keighley's face in this ad really says it all:

#32 Posted by FinalDasa (1986 posts) -

It's fine. Their video still messes up for me on a regular basis which is very disappointing since that's the basis of the entire site.

#33 Posted by Humanity (9867 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

The expression of disapproval on Geoff Keighley's face in this ad really says it all:

Thats Geoff showing approval, you wouldn't like it if Geoff was angry!

#34 Edited by egg (1469 posts) -

lol how do I log in?

I have to attempt to make a post just to be able to log in -_-

edit: WOW. I can't log in. The log in popup is a blank white box. I am enabling scripts (using noscript) and it's still a blank white box.

edit: ok I can log in now. But my username and password is incorrect.

edit: Nvm I figured it out. But how do I log out??

edit: ok I found it

#35 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I don't visit GT except on rare occasions and for some E3 stuff, but I like how the front page looks more now. I really hated how the front page used to look for whatever reason.

#36 Posted by Humanity (9867 posts) -

@egg said:

lol how do I log in?

edit: WOW. I can't log in. The log in popup is a blank white box. I am enabling scripts (using noscript) and it's still a blank white box.

I had to reset my password since my old one wasn't working for whatever reason although you seem to be having a wholly different issue.

#37 Posted by egg (1469 posts) -

@Humanity said:

@egg said:

lol how do I log in?

I had to reset my password since my old one wasn't working for whatever reason although you seem to be having a wholly different issue.

problem is you have to put in your email, not your username. Afterwards you have to choose your username.

For some reason though they make me choose a different one because mine was already taken. The fawk? How can it be already taken when I was the one using it?

#38 Posted by Humanity (9867 posts) -

@egg: That username is just used for the url shortcut to your profile as I understand it since I chose a different username for that field as well and my regular one shows up on the bottom bar.

One thing I do appreciate with the new design is that I can hardly see the comments under the videos and there is nothing worse than GT comments section. As hard as I might try I'd be tempted to read them sometimes and it's agonizing every time.

#39 Posted by DeF (4957 posts) -

ugh it's terrible! now you have to figure out where to look for the latest videos and reload pages and whatnot. the old dynamic list that had everything in chronological order was way more useful. this is way too cluttered and overly complicated.

#40 Posted by PenguinDust (12601 posts) -

Has anyone looked at it on a tablet? It occurred to me that might be the dominant reason for the style of the redesign.

#41 Posted by Vexxan (4623 posts) -

I'm not a frequent visitor of Gametrailers but the site looks pretty neat now.

#42 Posted by Doctorchimp (4078 posts) -

What happened to GT?

#43 Posted by Zenogiasu (193 posts) -

It's not too bad, and I'm sure I'll get used to it. It was due for a new paint job, anyhow. Does anyone know how many years it had been since the last redesign?

#44 Posted by Cubical (637 posts) -

I dont go to game trailers that much and have not seen it that much.

#45 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Ever since I jumped off of the trailer bandwagon and onto the QL bandwagon, I stopped giving a fuck about GT. But I'm glad to see their site no longer looks like someone pooped on my screen.

@Humanity said:

I just don't see why they would rather have all that empty space on the sides and all the menus are crammed into the middle. You used to have the most important stuff right then and there - reviews on the left panel, all most recent videos in the middle, and random user crap on the right. As others mentioned I'm sure I'll get used to it but I just don't see the mentality behind wasting all that space on the sides. I just hope the new GB won't be like that..

Most websites do that, it's not unusual. Scaling is hard to do right and you have to make sure everyone can see all of your website's content.

#46 Posted by phantomzxro (1583 posts) -

there is some growing pains to it because the layout makes you hunt for content. Just seems easier before to watch a review or check out bonus round.

#47 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

I like those smooth gradients, but why is everything so big?