#201 Posted by Aklost (17 posts) -
@Chabbs0: Thanks for that. But Its not the design, its the complete lack of any interaction with commenter's. There is ZERO community on Kotaku anymore and reader opinions are clearly ignored. 
#202 Posted by FesteringNeon (2266 posts) -

I didn't go there before, and that layout proves that I won't be returning either.

#203 Posted by Eyz (469 posts) -

It's so bad... it looks like a fanmade gaming site on tumblr... blah...

At least we still got giantbomb, right? :P

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
#204 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3053 posts) -

Like putting a fresh coat of paint on a dry old turd

#205 Posted by Terramagi (1167 posts) -

I think I'm not about to give those fucking hacks the traffic. Especially that twit Schreier.

wait a minute why is this topic 2 years old

#206 Posted by berniesbc (89 posts) -

The current spartan design is just a result of their data center being knocked off line by the hurricane. The other Gawker sites look like this at the moment as well.

#207 Edited by PillClinton (3454 posts) -

Huuuuge necro bump, but relevant I guess, 'cause there's a new design... I think. I don't visit Kotaku enough to know honestly. Also, tumblr...?

@berniesbc: Oh, I see. Makes sense.

#208 Posted by aurahack (2535 posts) -

I was going to see the "new" layout because of their downed datacenter, but then I remembered I did this:

2357073-windy.jpg

Probably one of the best internet-friendly things I've ever done.

#209 Posted by Snail (8838 posts) -

@aurahack said:

I was going to see the "new" layout because of their downed datacenter, but then I remembered I did this:

2357073-windy.jpg

What's that?

#210 Posted by guanophobic (559 posts) -

@Snail: Everytime his computer tries to contact any of these addresses, it goes to his own loopback address (meaning his network card instead of the webserver).

#211 Posted by Snail (8838 posts) -

@guanophobic said:

@Snail: Everytime his computer tries to contact any of these addresses, it goes to his own loopback address (meaning his network card instead of the webserver).

Thanks for that explanation, but I still don't get it.

#212 Posted by Oldirtybearon (5626 posts) -

@Snail said:

@guanophobic said:

it means he can't go to those sites. Kind of a way to slap your own hand before you do something you'll regret, I think.

#213 Posted by Snail (8838 posts) -

@Oldirtybearon: @Oldirtybearon said:

@Snail said:

@guanophobic said:

it means he can't go to those sites. Kind of a way to slap your own hand before you do something you'll regret, I think.

@aurahack: Is this right? Why would you hate the gawker sites that much?

#214 Posted by jamesg (69 posts) -

@aurahack said:

2357073-windy.jpg

loool

#215 Posted by Alexandru (345 posts) -

cant be worse than what IGN has.

#216 Posted by mcmax3000 (341 posts) -

Their current look isn't a redesign, it's a Tumblr blog that they're using because of hurricare related server outage.

Totillo did share an image on Twitter of a redesign they're going to be launching next year, which I do think looks significantly better, but still won't get me to visit Gawker sites on any kind of regular basis.

#217 Posted by kseoul (3002 posts) -

I thought the old design was a piece of shit, and all this does is make it look less cluttered. So, no.

#218 Posted by fox01313 (5186 posts) -

Fine with the emergency looking version to it, somewhat what it was before. Real easy to get through & see what's there compared to the messy design that keeps me away from those sites on the hassle of finding anything or it just taking forever to get through.

#219 Posted by aurahack (2535 posts) -

@Snail said:

@Oldirtybearon: @Oldirtybearon said:

@Snail said:

@guanophobic said:

@aurahack: Is this right? Why would you hate the gawker sites that much?

That is correct. If I try to contact any of those sites, it bounces back and just tells me that address is not available. I don't 'hate' them as much as I just want nothing to do with them. If I can do something that takes a second to ensure that, then all the better for me.

#220 Posted by Nodima (1786 posts) -

Don't know what it looked like before because I used to think it was only about japanese games because of the name, but I like it. All the content is in the bar to the right, and there's a lot of it, and you can scroll to find whatever you want. Which is useful since a lot of their content is very obviously minute and somewhat useless to a more casual gamer like myself who doesn't care about collectibles, or cosplay, or concept art or what have you.

#221 Posted by TruthTellah (9798 posts) -

@mcmax3000 said:

Their current look isn't a redesign, it's a Tumblr blog that they're using because of hurricare related server outage.

Totillo did share an image on Twitter of a redesign they're going to be launching next year, which I do think looks significantly better, but still won't get me to visit Gawker sites on any kind of regular basis.

Wait, do you have a link to that image? I don't remember Totilo ever mentioning a redesign for next year. Seems a bit quick, considering they were working on this year's redesign for a good number of years.

#222 Edited by PandaBear (1484 posts) -

Kotaku is rubbish. Can we please end the "HEY Polygon is live!!!!!" or "Kotaku is LAME!!/COOL!!!" stories on Giant Bomb. Discuss it over there with the rest of the dregs looking for their next "Hot news!! Mega Man panties worn by Japanese school girls!! by Brian Aschcraft" story.

#223 Posted by sear (445 posts) -

Why the fuck does anyone go to Kotaku exactly? Aside from fast reporting (which is 99% stolen from the NeoGAF forums anyway, or made up on the spot by the bloggers to get moar hits), the site is ugly, its community is fucking moronic, the people running it are corrupt, morally bankrupt assholes devoid of any talent whatsoever, its guest articles are insultingly stupid, and it's basically the height of everything wrong with games "journalism." Stay the fuck away from Kotaku like your life depends on it (your IQ certainly does).

#224 Edited by mellotronrules (1819 posts) -

kotaku is a news site- it makes it's money off of advertising and page hits. and when it comes to breaking news, they're one of the fastest. believe it or not, like it or don't. the choice is yours- no reason to get angry about it.

#225 Posted by Nodima (1786 posts) -

@sear said:

Why the fuck does anyone go to Kotaku exactly? Aside from fast reporting (which is 99% stolen from the NeoGAF forums anyway, or made up on the spot by the bloggers to get moar hits), the site is ugly, its community is fucking moronic, the people running it are corrupt, morally bankrupt assholes devoid of any talent whatsoever, its guest articles are insultingly stupid, and it's basically the height of everything wrong with games "journalism." Stay the fuck away from Kotaku like your life depends on it (your IQ certainly does).

Well, like everyone in the E3 house exclaimed towards Pachter over and overthis past summer, "stop giving a fuck about NeoGAF". I've never wanted to post there, and never will. I just go to Kotaku for content, and they have content, and I don't read their comment sections, so I only read their content. They definitely inform on things I don't see here, or give a more personal opinion than the one I'd find at IGN, so I check Kotaku.

The more time I've spent with GiantBomb since buying in (just a month ago!) I've gotten the impression Kotaku is viewed as some sort of evil empire, but they're just an entertainment site throwing content at viewers as quickly as they can collect it. More importantly (to me), Owen Good is perhaps the best sports game writer on the web...which maybe isn't much considering the complete lack of credibility most sports game reviews/reviewers possess, but he does try as hard as it seems the field is capable of. His reporting on NBA Live and other sports games has been fantastic this year.

#226 Posted by mcmax3000 (341 posts) -

@TruthTellah said:

@mcmax3000 said:

Wait, do you have a link to that image? I don't remember Totilo ever mentioning a redesign for next year. Seems a bit quick, considering they were working on this year's redesign for a good number of years.

https://twitter.com/stephentotilo/statuses/263665626952892418

@Nodima said:

@sear said:

More importantly (to me), Owen Good is perhaps the best sports game writer on the web...which maybe isn't much considering the complete lack of credibility most sports game reviews/reviewers possess, but he does try as hard as it seems the field is capable of. His reporting on NBA Live and other sports games has been fantastic this year.

Yeah, he's great at his sports coverage. His stuff is one of the few reasons I haven't given up on the site completely.

#227 Posted by Soap (3772 posts) -

Kotaku is made of 40% stuff stolen from neogaf and 60% "hey look at this cool thing that everyone saw on reddit yesterday!"