• 126 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#101 Posted by tourgen (4252 posts) -

it works better than the previous versions especially when my connection is having trouble. much more reliable.

#102 Edited by emem (1955 posts) -
@MordeaniisChaos said: 

@emem said:

Hm looks like I'll be using Youtube from now on.

I'm curious if there are people out there who don't have a relatively bad video quality with the new player?

The way the video quality looks like for me (old and new player comparison):

Old/VLC media player.

New Close-up.

Old/VLC Close-up.

New video player.

The problem is that in fullscreen, there is no filtering on the video. So you see raw pixels, which looks like shit the further from native res you get. At low, fullscreen, on a 1920x1200 screen, it looks RIDICULOUSLY BAD. So bad that I am SHOCKED that they switched to this player. Though the Top Men have a tendency to put things up without testing them properly (ie, trying them at all, scrubbing through a video before posting to the site, etc) so it can't be THAT surprising. It's just so weird to me that this was acceptable. If it wasn't for the fact that I download all of my videos this would be awful for me, because I don't have the bandwidth to watch in HD and this would make things unwatchable.

The weirder part still is that when you aren't fullscreen, there is totally interpolation happening. It's JUST fullscreen where no filtering occurs. Although, yikes, even your Old/VLC shots looks awful. Much too blurry and compressed.

Yep, I downloaded the 720p source (I think it had already been heavily compressed at that point... I probably should have picked a different video) and it's weird how bad a screenshot of it looks. It still does look better in motion, though. 

I wonder if people watch videos in window mode or own really old or small monitors. If the videos stay unfiltered in fullscreen mode (Dave didn't mention that it'll change in his post) I will have to download them as well or just use Youtube instead. It's quite sad tbh, but what can you do... I really hope they can do something about it.
#103 Posted by aurahack (2229 posts) -

It's bad. Lower-res video streams are pixely, there's no scrubbing (can't skip ahead if it isn't loaded) and switching quality settings resets the video. :T Weakweakweak.

#104 Edited by Beaudacious (916 posts) -

I can't believe they switched to this thing, the last player had so many options, decent quality, and i never had any issues. Now this thing makes me want to download all videos and never watch them on the site anymore.

#105 Posted by TorMasturba (1095 posts) -

I would like higher-res HD quality and an expand-to-fill-screen button please!

Streaming that allows you to skip ahead damnit!

#106 Posted by LassieME (224 posts) -

@HandsomeMuffin said:

HTML5 is the only real player.

#107 Posted by mosespippy (3757 posts) -

It's fine but I don't like the idea of changing something that wasn't broken without adding improvements.

#108 Posted by WickedCobra03 (2101 posts) -

Since it came from gamespot, it is terrible. It is broken in a number of ways... no HD, streaming option is borked, youtube option is kind of borked, ect...

#109 Posted by Toxeia (721 posts) -

I'll pick whichever makes more people upset.

#110 Posted by Clonedzero (3742 posts) -

better than god damn youtube player. it just felt lazy when it was youtube videos embedded.

#111 Edited by MrBubbles (706 posts) -

I don't like it. You can't skip ahead in videos, you can't pause or play with the space bar, a lot of the time when I click another video it will go to the page for it but the player will just restart the video I was watching, and finally often times it won't play a video once I select HD but will play it on a lower quality setting.

Edit: welp it appears as though they changed the player again and fixed some of the problems I had before except when I select another video after watching one it goes to the page of the video I selected but restarts the video I just watched (which is a major problem I have with this thing) and I still can't pause/play with the space bar.

#112 Posted by PerryVandell (2100 posts) -

It's fine, though I would like the option to skip ahead.

#113 Posted by Rafaelfc (1285 posts) -

Apart from it not displaying full screen on my monitor, it leaves fat black bars all around the video... it's fine

#114 Posted by Forkstik (157 posts) -

I think it's fine, feels slightly faster and more responsive. But for some reason i can't see any videos in HD anymore :P

#115 Posted by JasonR86 (9381 posts) -

I said B. I haven't had any problems with it. Other then how the UI looks it is no different from the other player for me.

#116 Posted by PhantomGardener (447 posts) -

Don't really care. It's an video player. As long it has a play button, I'm fine with it.

#117 Posted by BPRJCTX (705 posts) -

@Clonedzero said:

better than god damn youtube player. it just felt lazy when it was youtube videos embedded.

Better than not being able to skip ahead...

#118 Posted by bybeach (4614 posts) -

This one is working for me now, and it has even corrected some issues I simply accepted from the one before. I apologize for my reaction at first, but I have in the past gone through times with something like the video player or posting on chat being non or glitched-functional for me. It got to the point that if something was working I didn't want to see it go.. The video player is now funtioning for me and seems robust in other aspects.

#119 Posted by SexualBubblegumX (536 posts) -

The new Video player is okay.

#120 Posted by crusader8463 (14326 posts) -

Why is it so hard for video players to have the mouse icon fade out when the video starts? Really annoys me.

#121 Edited by Sin4profit (2871 posts) -

player doesnt seem any different to me at all.

[edit] oh wait, i changed an option and now it's different.

#122 Posted by awadnin (275 posts) -

I like the new one.

#123 Posted by Zripwud (245 posts) -

Comparing it with YouTube's version, the 720p version is really blocky. Will it be fixed?

#124 Posted by dead_eye_sam (37 posts) -

I hate that I cannot fast forward to any section of the video without waiting for it to buffer up to that section...

#125 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Bring back YouTube. The auto feature on the video player doesn't work a lot of the time.

The one that came with the recent re-design is better than the old one, but still not better than YouTube which is now premium only. (baffling)

#126 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2167 posts) -

The HTML5 player is fine when it isn't buffering and it bookmarks when I stopped watching so I can pick it up later.